• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Season 23/24 expectations

Arsenal Season 23/24 expectations, what do you expect this season?

• 1) Title

Votes: 41 37.6%
  • 2) Double

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • 3) Cup win

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 4) Cup win+ Top 4/5 depending on coeffiecient

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • 5) Top 4/5

Votes: 12 11.0%
  • 6) Deep CL run and cup win+Top 4/5 depending on coeffiecient.

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
Which was my point all along. What’s the point in having expectations and why not just enjoy the ride?

Well quite. I suspect we might have different definitions of “enjoyment” though 😉

Badger_Revenge

We win the league, but we lose 3-1 the Final of the CL, and people will claim the season is a failure and Arteta is a terrible manager as a result.

I think we struggle in the cups because we don't really rate them yet. Squad still not deep enough or having enough belief to challenge on 4 fronts at once. The youngsters that would play in league cup are really young. Things could change as the transfer season goes on.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure what my true expectations are but I voted for the title because that's what I want. The alternative is the CL which I'd take and not be too bothered by our league position. The teams behind us are all doing business and we're ripping up our midfield in an otherwise stable team. We have a chance imo but we need everything we had last season and that little bit more which I hope we'll have

Jasinho

For me an FA Cup, deep title challenge (if we don't manage to win it) and at least quarters in the CL would be a good season.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
AFTV's latest vid is a "is this a new Arsenal?" one with all this spending, crossed over into expectations for the year too.

Turkish said this is probably the first time we have gone into the Prem wanting to win the league since the 98/99 season.

Not quite sure about that one, chief 😅

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Don't think City will be quite as good this year. KDB has been a driving force and he's 32 now, being subbed more and more. Gundogan leaving too. Depends who they buy of course.

Unfortunately I think that's just wishful thinking - City can rack up 85-90 points in cruise mode. KDB looked dusted earlier in the season and then just went beast mode from March/April, like a lot of their squad.

We’ve got the second best team in the country if you look at the starting eleven and squad now, I don’t see how and why we finish below the first two spots.

Europe is weak, weakest it’s EVER been, I said it all of last season. Outside City and Madrid we could compete with anyone, no reason why we can’t go at least into the last 8 of that competition.

I think it’s getting to that stage where we have to win something. Mick has been here 4 years - at top clubs you normally don’t survive that long if you haven’t won something major. Talk of process has to be put away now, it’s make or break now.

We haven't been a top club for a while mate; Mikel has made us one again. The window of opportunity for trophies arguably starts this season and if Mikel hasn't won anything in 4 years hence, then yeah we can have that conversation.

Regista21

To be honest, I'm quite worried about Arsenal 2023-24. The reason? Kai Havertz. It doesn't make to me.

Arteta seems to be looking towards a direct approach that quite remembers Man City 2022-23 with some slightly variations. But he doesn't have the pieces to do the same direct approach.

The defense is quite unbalanced, too. City used B. Silva and especially Grealish as players with great work rate to help the 5 main defenders. Guardiola can do it with few worries because City's game relies way less on the wings than Arsenal's and he has way greater squad depth in the sector (He can afford to let Foden and Mahrez on the bench).

I worry if Arteta will try to do the same with Martinelli/Trossard and Saka/Whoever comes as back-up.

I made a tactical board showing up how Arsenal will probably line-up in possession in 2023-24. It shows how we lack a 6th man in counter-attacks. Offensively, it's pretty ok and we will keep scoring several goals. But the team is clearly unbalanced and will suffer deeply against squads with good counter-attack skills.

Liverpool and Chelsea might have field days in our defense. If we play like that, I can see a player like Nkunku scoring a double or even a hard trick just exploiting the lack of a reliable 6th man in defense.

Hope Arteta realises that we need a more balanced team upfront and give up this idea of playing with Jesus/Odeegard/Havertz at the same time.

Attachments

• tactical-board.com(20).png
    tactical-board.com(20).png
    157.9 KB · Views: 17

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
We're winning the title and extending our FA Cup lead. Coming Months FC.

GoonerJay24

AFTV's latest vid is a "is this a new Arsenal?" one with all this spending, crossed over into expectations for the year too.

Turkish said this is probably the first time we have gone into the Prem wanting to win the league since the 98/99 season.

Not quite sure about that one, chief 😅

Turkish is an absolute embarrassment

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Turkish is an absolute embarrassment

The other guy said the season after we went Invincible, then Turkish said "oh yeah" like he forgot about it.

Just forgot the most famous thing his club has ever done, ffs 🤣

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

View attachment 16514

Surprised by this.
Need to win stuff.

That isn’t including Rice (90M) and Timber (42M). Our squad will officially become the most valuable in world football after these two have signed. Obviously changes again when City sign Gvardiol and such. However we would be so far ahead of everyone else it’s ridiculous.

As you said, need to win things now.

WiscoGooner8

Expectations are so hard because you never know how other teams will perform any given year and teams can come out of nowhere like us last year. That being said, it seems like we are clearly the 2nd best team in the league, so I’d expect a top 3 finish, QF in the CL depending on draw and a deep FA cup run. As long as City is as they are I’m not sure how a trophy can be an actual expectation. I’d love at least a draw against City next season. Sick of it being a foregone conclusion that we get embarrassed every time we play them.

NZgunner

I never have any FA Cup expectations, the draw just has so much to do with it - an early run of lower or non-leaguers, or away to Man Utd in the 3rd round.

The Champions League is a bit different because of the group stage - I expect us to get out of our group, but after that all bets are off.

Top 3 in the league is my main realistic hope/expectation.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
I chose the 6th option. It's the safe option. The league is so hard to predict, I mean nobody could have predicted how Chelsea & Pool struggled & Newcastle doing what they did.

I just want us to be in the conversation again. So one of the teams fighting for the PL, a good CL run, & deep runs in the domestic cups.

I feel like with all the progress made, we need to be seeing some silverware. The competition is hard tho.

My only concerns is our striker situation. If Balo is going, & we have just Eddie as backup to Jesus, it's a massive drop off.

Tomb Bombadil

My expectation:
  • League: 1-3
  • FA / Carabo Cup: Win one (if we don't win the league)
  • CL: Quarterfinal
What I don't get is the talk abou our depth. A lot of people (also Arsenal fans) say that we need new players if Xhaka and Partey are leaving with Havertz, Rice, Timber coming. They say that we had problems in depth last year.

And that's true at the beginning of the season. But than we bought Kiwior, Trossard and Jorghino. Only problem was that Kiwior was still unproven. Now we brought even more versatile players.

RB: White, Timber, Tomayasu
CB: Saliba, Timber, White, Tomayasu
CB: Gabriel, Kiwior, Tomayasu
LB: Zinchenko, Tierney, Tomayasu
DM: Rice, Jorginho, Elneny, Timber?
CM: Havertz, Rice, ESR, Zinchenko
CM: Ødegaard, Havertz, Viera
RW: Saka, Havertz, Trossard, Nelson
LW: Martinelli, Trossard, ESR
CF: Jesus, Nkethia, Havertz

That's great depth in my opinion. And Rice will almost always play in comparison to Partey. I guess it will be more a problem that a lot of players will not have enough game time. I guess players like ESR, Viera, Nelson or even Trossard will not play that much.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I expect a title challenge. Terrible poll where that’s not an option.

Embarrassing really.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom