• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Celtic Match Ratings

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Eduardo a 2 Kel? come on.. we're all disappointed by the dive, but his movement was great leading up to it, and he still scored it..

nazo

Established Member
Almunia 5

Sagna 6
Gallas 8
Vermaelen 8
Clichy 6

Diaby 5
Song 7
Denilson 8

Eboue 7
Eduardo 7
Bendtner 6

Ramsey 5

duduspace

There is too much being made of the penalty incident, there was contact no matter how minimal it was. I disagree that this was a blatant dive, it is understandable for a player who had the type of injury Eduardo had to try avoiding any sort of contact that could land him in the same situation.
He didn't make an appeal for the penalty anyway, it was given immediately by the referee. I watched the analysis on sky by Gullit et al, we can all agree that the penalty shouldn't have been given but I think it is wrong to paint Eduardo as a cheat.

ultradoc

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I've no idea what to think about Eboue's 'free role' - he scored a very good goal, admittedly, but he's one of the laziest ****ers I've ever seen tracking back, and spent at least 20 minutes of the first half trying to be a centre forward.

Denilson? Barely noticed him, to be honest, apart from when he continually became a black hole for posession late in the game. Song was (and is) a vastly better player tonight, without even really playing that well. Denilson is far too limited, both in attack and defence.

It was a poor performance, on the whole, apart from the defence, against a team who frankly weren't fit to be on the same field as us.
Look at him. What do you think gives our team the right for such royalty?

If you barely noticed denilson, well,..what can we say. Mate, he was quite good,running everywhere and with meaning and passing the ball firmly to the one he intended to pass(unlike last season).

Eboue's free role..well he did the job. He was menacing for celtic with his footwork, shots from distance, quick distribution forward and the runs. Slacked off during the end of the match(which is his and diaby's major character flaw in my opinion) and if he was in the free role, attack is the best for of defence and he did the job pretty well and he IS deserving of accolades today.
Yes Song is better and mops the ball well, and that must be the reason these eboues and denilsons are playing with that trust and freedom forward.
Most importantly, it was a return leg, with a 2 goal advantage and without fabregas and shava (starting) and they played slick passing football like arsenal usually do. Kudos to them. What do you want, to never let celtic even touch the ball?

Are we getting carried away by the performances this season ? I think so. This performance last season would have gotten 8 or 9s for everyone i guess.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
True Gooner said:
Almunia 6

Sagna 7
Gallas 8
Vermaelen 7
Clichy 7 - Was glad to see that he opted to cut the ball back for Eduardos penalty rather than mindlessly cross the ball

Diaby 6
Song 6
Denilson 7

Eboue 8 MOTM
Eduardo 7
Bendtner 6

Ramsey 6
Arshavin 7
Wilshere 7
This!

Was very pleased to see Eboue work so well further up the field. As I've stated already I think he was better as a winger than as a rightback last season, especially as the season went along. He might just turn out to be that integral squad player we're missing so badly. It's easy to forget that he just turned 26.

asajoseph

Established Member
ultradoc said:
asajoseph said:
I've no idea what to think about Eboue's 'free role' - he scored a very good goal, admittedly, but he's one of the laziest ****ers I've ever seen tracking back, and spent at least 20 minutes of the first half trying to be a centre forward.

Denilson? Barely noticed him, to be honest, apart from when he continually became a black hole for posession late in the game. Song was (and is) a vastly better player tonight, without even really playing that well. Denilson is far too limited, both in attack and defence.

It was a poor performance, on the whole, apart from the defence, against a team who frankly weren't fit to be on the same field as us.
Look at him. What do you think gives our team the right for such royalty?

If you barely noticed denilson, well,..what can we say. Mate, he was quite good,running everywhere and with meaning and passing the ball firmly to the one he intended to pass(unlike last season).

Eboue's free role..well he did the job. He was menacing for celtic with his footwork, shots from distance, quick distribution forward and the runs. Slacked off during the end of the match(which is his and diaby's major character flaw in my opinion) and if he was in the free role, attack is the best for of defence and he did the job pretty well and he IS deserving of accolades today.
Yes Song is better and mops the ball well, and that must be the reason these eboues and denilsons are playing with that trust and freedom forward.
Most importantly, it was a return leg, with a 2 goal advantage and without fabregas and shava (starting) and they played slick passing football like arsenal usually do. Kudos to them. What do you want, to never let celtic even touch the ball?

Are we getting carried away by the performances this season ? I think so. This performance last season would have gotten 8 or 9s for everyone i guess.

Like I said, astonishing that the TV cameras have managed to give the impression that this was, in some way, a good performance.

I think it's testament to how far we've come that, despite playing poorly, we still strung together enough good moves to comfortably beat a side who were well out of their depth.

Eboue did the job though? Honestly? He scored a good goal, absolutely, but he was ****ing lazy (which none of our players who've been in that position so far this year have been), and also incredibly wasteful otherwise. I've got no time for a defender who thinks he's a midfielder who thinks it's ok for him to try to play the highest role, abandon all defensive duties on the right hand side (and leave men open on his side time and time and time again), and be the last man tracking back. Nobody on our team 'needs' to be that lazy.

Slick passing football? Did the TV show a different match until half time?

We have to be very careful - compared to the agricultural bunch we played today, United are going to be a strong wake-up call.

the dawn raids

Established Member
asajoseph said:
We have to be very careful - compared to the agricultural bunch we played today, United are going to be a strong wake-up call.

very true. the next two weeks is when it really kicks on. weve faced two depleted EPL sides and a depleted SPL side (which isny really saying much). the acid test is saturday.

qs

Established Member
Almunia 5
Sagna 7
Gallas 7
Vermaelen 8
Clichy 8
Diaby 5
Song 6
Denilson 8
Eboue 7
Eduardo 6
Bendtner 6

Ramsey 7
Arshavin 7
Wilshere 5

I thought Eduardo went to **** after his goal. I think the whole row with Boruc got to him and he was trying to hard to get another one past him and it meant he lost his usual composure.

Denilson was everywhere. He was showing up in very dangerous positions and was really doing a great job of linking play going forward, this was especially useful considering Diaby was a shadow of the man who scored 2 on Saturday.

I'm surprised its not really been mentioned but I thought Clichy was impeccable too. He was much, much better going forward than most of last season. He had a couple of truly brilliant moments.

Bendtners growing on me too. He didn't have a great game today but his constant pressing of the ball means he's still useful even when he's not clicking.

ultradoc

Established Member
It was a stream asa, and surprisingly a pretty good one, 24x7tv.com something. make note people. And I dont know why people expect picture perfect games from our players. Eboue sure was lazy, has always been, but I would rather compliment him on his forward play. It's not like he's the first choice in the team either-just a makeshift and was playing in midfield,almost as a forward rather. I'd give him his due and move on.
Sure it was nice passing football and pleasing to watch. So many moves and celtic had only few passages of play.I dont know what people in the stadium see,and I repeat it was great from a young team in a return leg with a 2-0 advantage.

Illusion

Established Member
Denilson was great today, both he and Song are delivering exactly what we need in midfield and whilst I'm very happy with Song I'm delighted to see Denilson showing up his critics with four solid performances in a row.

banduan

Established Member
Al 5 - if he keeps this up the Mancs will flay him
Sagna 7 - was quite good actually, better than earlier on
Gallas 8 - just plain great
Vermaelen 8 - probly the reason Gallas is great
Clichy 6 - juuuust a tad wasteful
Song 5 - not one of his better performances
Denilson 7 - exploiting his own strengths more now
Diaby 6 - was alright and kept it going
Eboue 8 - from RB to pass-master to a no. 10. :lol:
Eduardo 6 - was good, but that was a terrible dive. No more of that please.
Bendy 6 - useful and effective but lacked sharpness

A distinctly average performance to see out a largely average side

Ramsey, Shava, Wilshere 7 - all round good impact subs

AliBabaBrewer

Almunia - 6
Sagna - 7
Gallas - 9
Vermaelen - 8
Clichy - 8
Song - 8
Denilson - 9
Diaby - 6
Eboue - 8
Bendtner - 7
Eduardo - 7

Ramsey - 7
Wilshere - 7
Arshavin - 7

We beat Celtic 3-1 without a full strength team or playing at our best. I think some might be too harsh on the side.

Arsegum

Almunia 6 - people say he shouldn't have been beaten from that angle but I just think it was a really great shot, hit the inside of the post at great pace. That guy who scored it should have saved it for the weekend.

Gallas 8 - Usual imperious defending with a great surprise in going forward. He is a reborn man after Toure's departure.

Vermaelen 8 - The Verminator pretty much verminated nearly every threat he encountered. I can't wait for him to verminate Rooney at the weekend.

Sagna 8 - He basically owned the whole right flank by himself, running up and down tirelessly. A few good crosses in between and never looked troubled.

Clichy 7 - I thought he didn't do as well as Sagna as I remember a few attacking moves came from his side (the offside goal for Celtic) but he still produced a great performance both offensively and defensively to silence his critics.

Song 7 - A surprising low score for him I reckon. 1st 60 mins he was everywhere, breaking up moves and winning possession back, but then he lost possession for one time and then continued to lose his head for 2-3 minutes where he lost tackles and caught out of position. Later he got back to normal service but I think he just needed to keep his emotion in check and not get riled by the opposition.

Denilson 8 - A Brazilian-like performance. Flicks, backheels he did showed he is more confident about his game. Kept possession well in tight situations and got forward well. He made himself very useful in this regard which makes him a very good squad player.

Diaby 6 - Didn't remember much he did in the game. Got forward well in a couple times and held of the opposition well. Kept our game ticking.

Bendtner 6 - Apart from the brilliant backheel for the 2nd goal, he clearly should play up top or just off the main striker. I feel his should contribute more to the game with his heading, pace and passing. He did well but I just felt he ran a lot but he could have a lot more to give.

Eboue 8 - Who would have thought it? Le-clown playing as a winger? Many people already having us down to a loss after seeing the line-up. But Eboue, as usual defied his critics in style. He wasn't lazy in my opinion, closed down opposition well, got forward in good pace and kept his drama queen antics to a minimum. Great goal by him imo and would do his confidence well.

Eduardo 7 - Okay, his dive. I think it was just instinctive for him to go down in that situation. He could have rounded Boruc but it was too late, Eduardo anticipated Boruc's contact and didn't expect Boruc to pull out that late. He couldn't help that, it wasn't an outrageous dive anyway, because half the stadium thought it was a penalty, so the ref couldn't be blamed. Other than that and the cooly dispatched penalty (Kudos to Eduardo as many strikers would have a psycological effect after their 'dive' but Eddy kept his calm), Eduardo didn't contribute much, but he is definitely a game-changer, no doubt.

Ramsey 5 - Meh performance, didn't impose himself well enough in a game that was already won, apart from a 1 on 1 saved by Boruc. Got himself injured, off game by him.

Wilshere 6 - Nearly no defensive presence, but got forward in dangerous positions, nearly slipped Arshavin through, nice cameo.

Arshavin 7 - You can totally see Arshavin was recharged physically, he looked sharper, quicker and shown with his goal. I suspect a Russian storm to sweep OT on saturday.

Overall good game by us. I don't get why people always want 5-star champagne football no matter what the circumstances. We were 2 goals up before this match and we would never go into this tie in top gear. If captain Fab is fit for saturday, I expect a win at OT.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Eboue 7 - am thinking he could actually end up being one of our top 6 players at least by the end of the season. He has actually got great technique and you just get the impression that he is putting it all together .

flobaba

Eduardo.. 7.

Footballers dive. Get over it.

His performance and link up play was decent all game.

USArsenal, speak for yourself. I'm not disappointed in him. He went down and the ref's got 2 options. Card or penalty. My boy gets a penalty. Scores, Gives us a platform on which to consolidate our first leg performance. Smart kid.

Diving's not cheating. Its an art which requires a lot of skill. And we've got a player with this skill. I love it.

gstew

Almunia 7

Sagna 7
Gallas 8.5 Until the last 5 minutes (a misplaced pass and keeping Donati onsides for the goal) I thought it was the best he ever played in an Arsenal shirt.
Vermaelen 8.5 Excellent again.
Clichy 8.5 This is the Clichy I remember. Has Gibbs lit a fire under him?

Diaby 5.5 Very poor except for his excellent contribution on the second goal. He needs to get his head out of his ass.
Song 7.5 Solid
Denilson 7.5 A few misplaced passes too many, but ran and competed for everything.

Eboue 7.5 Had to take off half a point for his rolling around when not hurt...why does he do that?
Eduardo 5.5 Poor finishing and free kicks.
Bendtner 5.5 Would have been a point lower if not for the excellent setup on the 2nd goal. Was quite poor.

Ramsey 6.5 Nice assist to Arshavin.
Arshavin 7.5 Lifted the team when he entered.
Wilshere 7.5 Excellent vision where he just missed putting Arshavin and Denilson in on goal with reverse passes. His energy and movement was what the game needed

Lord Dula

Established Member
I actually thought Diaby was impressive again - lots of neat lil passes, and had they been to say Arshavin or Rosicky instead of Bendtner, they would have sparked off better attacks.

Bendtner - I like him, and feel he's not showing how good he is at the mo, but let's be honest - he adds naff all in this system.

lagos

Established Member
Song 8 - solid
denilson 7.5 was a bit of jerkyl and hyde, had some excellent moments and sone Denilson moments. Nonetheless impovements over last season are noted
Diaby 8
Ramsey 5 - the next Cesc! really?
vermalin 8
gallas 8
cesc 6
Eboue 8
Eduardo 7
arshavin 7
Wilshere 6
almunia 6
Nik 7 worked hard
Sagna 7
clichy 7.5

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom