• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Liverpool; Ratings

DOUBLE-YOU

It's amazing how a result changes player assessment. With the exception of Diaby i think the rest of the team played better against Chelsea, but nearly every player was receiving 4s and 5 against chelsea but 7s against liverpool.

On a side note i do think that was one of the best games i have seen diaby play for arsenal. on the whole i think he has had a good season. what is concerning though is it is either he has a good game or cesc has a good game. rarely have i seen both players play well at the same time.

almunia - 6
eboue - 6
gallas -8
vermaelen - 6
clichy - 6
song - 6
cesc -5
diaby - 9
arshavin - 7
bendtner - 6
nasri - 5

rosicky - 7
walcott - 5

Biggus

Established Member
DOUBLE-YOU said:
It's amazing how a result changes player assessment. With the exception of Diaby i think the rest of the team played better against Chelsea, but nearly every player was receiving 4s and 5 against chelsea but 7s against liverpool.
I just can't understand that line of logic, some will say we played better or had more possession against Chelsea.
How could we have been better if we lost???
I'm one of those old fogies who still labour under apprehension that the point of the game is to win, once you win how you play or how much possession you have doesn't matter- they're only (in some peoples view) means to an end.

M+D

Established Member
But surely ratings are a way of judging the performance and not the result?

Ricky_AFC

Almunia - 7.5 - Great save from Babel and distribution is ok when Bendtner is there to win it.

Eboue - 7 - Decent defensively and good going forwards. His forward running was important for us. Seriously pushing to overtake Sagna IMO.

Gallas - 8.5 - Great match winning tackle and a rock at the back.

Vermaelen - 7 - Solid like Gallas but loses points for the stupid run forward at the end.

Clichy - 7 - Looked more like his old self. Love his interceptions.

Song - 6 - Decent but not his best.

Cesc - 6 - Thought he was way below his best today and didn't use the ball very well. Lots of effort though.

Diaby - 8 - Great goal and all round big performance.

Arshavin - 7.5 - Very dangerous. He was the one who looked like unlocking the scouse.

Rosicky - 6.5 - Not at his best, like Cesc, but a perfect cross for our goal.

Bendtner - 7 - Held the ball up well and I think the team looked better with him up there in the central role. Still not match sharp.

Theo - 6 - Didn't think he was too bad other than the stupid pass to Reina at the end.

DOUBLE-YOU

Biggus said:
DOUBLE-YOU said:
I just can't understand that line of logic, some will say we played better or had more possession against Chelsea.
I'm one of those old fogies who still labour under apprehension that the point of the game is to win, once you win how you play or how much possession you have doesn't matter- they're only (in some peoples view) means to an end.

Have you ever played football (or any sport)?

You will know that there are times when you play well and lose and times when you play poorly and win. Your question seems naive!

kel varnsen

Established Member
Ricky_AFC said:
Theo - 6 - Didn't think he was too bad other than the stupid pass to Reina at the end.

really? the first 5-6 times he received the ball, he lost it carelessly and needlessly. pathetic performance. his close control has gone from average to abysmal and he looks clueless every time he receives the ball.

otfgoon

Established Member
It depends how you look at it, someone could argue that Chelsea made less critical mistakes and were more efficient so were the better team. Others could say Arsenal's overall performance was better and were simply let down my critical mistakes.

I don't think either are wrong.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
Theo isn't intelligent on the field. He isn't very talented with the ball either. He's just a sprinter. Games won't change that.

lagos

Established Member
arsenalfc0719 said:
Theo isn't intelligent on the field. He isn't very talented with the ball either. He's just a sprinter. Games won't change that.

The good thing is more and more people are realising it but I'm not holding my breath that the Fanboys will ever see their poster boy for what he really is.

Biggus

Established Member
DOUBLE-YOU said:
Biggus said:
DOUBLE-YOU said:

Have you ever played football (or any sport)?

You will know that there are times when you play well and lose and times when you play poorly and win. Your question seems naive!
Yes I have and I'll answer you and M&D at the same time.

If you've played football at a competitive level like any business you'd know that performance and excuses don't matter- Only results count, when the result is good everyone is happy.
When the result is bad no amount of "performance" or excuses wash....Lifes hard isn't it?.

GaelForce22

Established Member
But the way you (and others) talk about him is as if he's never had a good game. Every season until this one he improved and got closer to the first team - last year he was arguably our best player before christmas.

This season he's been ****, but that's as obviously down to the injuries that have stopped him from getting a run in the team. It's always taken him a few games to pick up his form and confidence, and he hasn't got that yet.

Edit - This was a reply to lagos and afc0719.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
lagos said:
arsenalfc0719 said:

The good thing is more and more people are realising it but I'm not holding my breath that the Fanboys will ever see their poster boy for what he really is.
As long as Wenger finally realizes it, I'll be happy. 16 year old fan boys can keep on wetting themselves over their hero running into a dead ends.

progman07

Established Member
Czar said:
Theo 7 - He is improving. Good performance somewhat. Better then usual!
:eek:

What even more interesting is that Theo gets only one point worse than match-winner Diaby?

DOUBLE-YOU

Biggus said:
?

If you've played football at a competitive level like any business you'd know that performance and excuses don't matter- Only results count, when the result is good everyone is happy.
When the result is bad no amount of "performance" or excuses wash....Lifes hard isn't it?.

excuses don't matter = true
performance don't matter = false

as for "when the result is good everyone is happy." - this is also not true and a poor way to live. In a team environment you can't be happy if the team gets good results, but you constantly perform below par.

If it is always down to the result, why do real madrid constantly change managers even if they a trophy? why did chelsea sack mourihno? why was wenger disappointed in the manner in which we won 2005 fa cup? Why did alex feguson bollock his aberdeen side after they just won the scottish fa cup in 83?
Performance does matter win or lose. If you con't analyse it, how will you better yourself? and what standards are you setting ?

ps
i've played footie at semi-pro level, i think that's competitive enough for me to know about performance and result!

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐
Almunia - 7 - Who says he doesnt make match winning saves eh? Well OK, he doesnt make them as often as he should but credit where it's due. Nik in the team makes a huge difference in his distribution as well -but he half fumbled a ball when could and should have held it. Still - keep it up

Eboue - 7 - Agree with Ricky, he can seriously push to overtake Sagna IMO. While not as strong in the air, he's not far off being as good defensively (while still being behind Sagna) and going forward he offers far more. Does any team in the Prem have as good a backup for fullback?

Gallas - 8 - Give him the two years Arsène! Gallas has been reborn this season and I'm liking it. THAT last ditch tackle was a classic example of its type - could never tire of seeing it

Vermaelen - 7.5 - Looked very good and his fitness levels are just unreal. Was shocked at how he burst forward in last few minutes of the game - he had alot of cover behind him so the danger was minimal - but the stamina he must have (after possession was lost he sprinted back the length of the pitch)

Clichy - 7 - Better performance - and he needed it. Not sure if it's a confidence thing but he looked more like himself

Song - 6.5 - Wasnt great but he did what was required. Laughably good in comparison to Mascherano who to some deluded people is a world class player

Cesc - 6 - Passing was completely off and gave away possession time and time again. Lucky with the handball - but even playing poorly he is better than most Liverpool players and he gave it his all effort wise

Diaby - 8 - Great goal, great strength and power and he's finally becoming consistent. The guy is growing into a player who can in the future dominate games

Arshavin - 6 - Never really got going but given the fact he is semi injured, no one can doubt his commitment. Unlucky with one shot which flew over the crossbar.

Rosicky - 6.5 - Average game - but put in the kind of killer cross we do so poorly. Perfectly executed

Bendtner - 6.5 - struggled later on in the game but given he's just returned from injury completely understandable. His height and strength offer us another option that was missing and has helped improved Manny's distribution from shocking to average :D

Theo - 5 - Not shocking bad, not good - not much of anything really. He needs to be cut some slack though - he has had almost no gametime this season, and it does take time to get back into the pace of the game. But it needs to start happening for him soon

Humble Rex

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Agree about Bendtner. He made a whole lot of difference simply by being there today. Intelligent play as always too. He'll improve by time.

I didn't find Walcott that terrible today, by the way, but each to his own I guess. It's natural for players to make mistakes. He looked more encouraging than the last time he was brought on. There's an excellent player in him that wants to get out, but has been restricted by severe injuries. As usual people show off a blatant lack of understanding for the damaging effect all that time out can have from a physical viewpoint - even long after the player is back in action.

Klaus, for me I am not so sure Theo has what it takes to make it here. There are many flaws in his game, and they were there before his injuries. Best of luck to the lad though! I do realize that he needs to get up to speed since he has hardly played since last summer. Not a problem.
My main problem right now is that I strongly disagree that the first team is the place for him to find his form! He has been woeful in every outing since his comeback. It is clear to most people. He should be restricted to training with the first team and playing in the reserves until he actually shows something that resembles form. When he has proven he can actually contribute anything to the first team he should be eligeble for first team selection again.

Biggus

Established Member
irishgunnerz said:
Biggus said:
Almunia who gives a f**k he'll be gone next season

Had thought Match rating threads were there to rate players for THAT match but obviously I'm missing something
I'm finished with Almunia theres nothing more to be said about him.

M+D

Established Member
Biggus said:
Yes I have and I'll answer you and M&D at the same time.

What I was saying is that ratings are based on performances and not results, and this is a ratings thread. I understand perfectly that results are what really count.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Humble Rex said:
Klaus Daimler said:
Agree about Bendtner. He made a whole lot of difference simply by being there today. Intelligent play as always too. He'll improve by time.

I didn't find Walcott that terrible today, by the way, but each to his own I guess. It's natural for players to make mistakes. He looked more encouraging than the last time he was brought on. There's an excellent player in him that wants to get out, but has been restricted by severe injuries. As usual people show off a blatant lack of understanding for the damaging effect all that time out can have from a physical viewpoint - even long after the player is back in action.
Klaus, for me I am not so sure Theo has what it takes to make it here. There are many flaws in his game, and they were there before his injuries.
I have no idea whether he'll ultimately make it here or not. Things like that aren't solely determined by talent and potential anyway. A lot of people still undermine the role that injuries have played in his subpar performances, both from a physical and a mental aspect. Walcott in the form he had prior to the U21 euros was electric. He would have walked into most teams in the league.

Arsenal Quotes

If Ryan Giggs is worth 20 millions, Bergkamp is worth 100 million

Marco Van Basten
Top Bottom