• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Birmingham - Match ratings

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Champs: JACK*, Nasri, Rvp, Kos (apart from the mix up)

Mehs: Sagna, Szcz.

Chumps: Clichy, JD, Rosicky, SONG*, Arshavin.

When the going is quick, fast and tough, Song is always behind the action and a clumsy liability. His defensive positioning in our third is woeful. For me, he's a luxury midfielder who looks at his best when we're on top. He can't be relied upon in big games anymore.

Clichy's lack of awareness is actually beginning to be quite weird. Another one who you just can't rely on anymore.

Luxury players in vital areas of the field is bad.

bertlb2

THunter said:
bertlb2 said:
I don't think Andrei and Laurent had that bad of a game compared to what I have read here until now. I thought DJ, Alex, Gael were poor. Tomas didn't bring much positive. I haven't seen him having a good game in a long time. Andrei was causing them problems and withdrawing him for Marouane wasn't a good move. Marouane was no problem at all for Birmingham.

It is worrying that weren't able to capitalise on their crocked CB. In fact, we weren't even putting pressure on him. Nik was more often than not somewhere on the wings, and there wasn't anyone in the box! Where is the speed when Theo isn't playing? Gael, Samir and Kieran are supposed to be very fast. Are we relying that much on Cesc?

At the start, I looked at the bench and I thought the only one that I would trust for providing something positive if needed was Nik. Not good.
Don't understand what you mean here, i agree when Theo doesn't play we don't look to run behind their defence that much and Cesc supplies the passes but if you mean we rely on Cesc's pace i dont see it :)

The phrasing may make it confusing. The elements were not related in my mind. Birmingham's starting lineup wasn't a quick one, and we weren't able to expose their lack of speed even when one of their defenders was playing on one leg.

The element about Cesc is exactly what it is. Without Cesc, what can we do? He certainly isn't blessed with pace, but he is certainly someone who will find a way to take advantage of such an average opposition. That there was noone to make it happen, even though Jack tried, isn't good news. If you ask me I would have started Samir there and put Nik from the start.

Raider

Established Member
yuvken said:
DaG said:
yuvken said:
What?
you feel like this about Song in general, or you are talking in pain
I've never rated Song and I never will, he's just not very good. He's been poor all season bar a month where he was quality. We need to buy someone better and make him back up.

There are quite a few people here that thought we have "the Super Six"

Songs in that super-six just because he plays regularly.

Segway

Chesney 4 - Looked very insecure today and didn't seem to have any command of his area. Not just on the final goal but also in general.

Sagna 6 - Some great forward runs and some good crosses but nothing came of it
Djourou 6 - Didn't do much wrong really but a defence that concedes 2 goals to Birmingham is a poor defence.
Koscielny 3 - Unforgiveable error. What the **** was he thinking?
Clichy 4 - Couldn't deal with Larsson who was able to put quite a few crosses in. Didn't contribute offensively either.

Song 3 - Shocking, absolutely horrible performance. Simple passes didn't work, non-existant pressing and tacking and generally failed to help us control the midfield. He should hang his head in shame.
Wilshere 6 - Once again he was our only midfielder with a sense of purpose.
Rosicky 4 - What did you expect Arsène? Incredibly unproductive player.

Nasri 5 - He is in poor form to be fair but still showed flashes of his ability.
RvP 7 - Great goal and generally decent in the build up play. Shouldn't have been subbed.
Arshavin 6 - Hit and miss like we know him

yuvken

Established Member
Raider - I don't think you needed my presentation for the super six discussions, did you? I don't need to elaborate. If you think what I said misrepresents the general view (as I claimed), state so clearly. If it is just another way to express your opinion on Song - I think you have actually presented it very well earlier. The extremely hairy toast, etc.
Edit: I see you came back to it, anyway

Webdesignlab

Established Member
The case for competition for Song is even more immense after today. We should have bought a real DM not a makeshift Diaby/Denilson/? mess.

I though Brum made us look like idiots for the last 20 minutes. Chamackh was about as scary a sub as my Mum.

The PL and CL look a little far away right now. Hopefully we make the right mental changes and we may still do well.

Rocafella

Established Member
Szecz - 3

Sagna - 5
Koscielny - 4
Djourou - 4
Clichy - 4

Song - 4
Wilshere - 7
Rosicky - 5

Nasri - 6
van Persie - 7
Arshavin - 6

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i dont think Nasri was poor.. he had a few really decent shots and was still more dangerous than Arshavin was overall..

wasnt at his best though

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Szecz - 5

Sagna - 6
Koscielny - 4
Djourou - 8
Clichy - 4

Song - 3
Wilshere - 7
Rosicky - 4

Nasri - 6
van Persie - 7
Arshavin - 6

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I must have watched a different game as I though Arshavin looked the most dangerous player on the pitch. it's only Song and Rosicky who I feel need to have a hard look at themself.

MOTM: Wilshere.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Webdesignlab said:
Sagna - 6
Koscielny - 4
Djourou - 8
Clichy - 4
Taking a break from football has made you rusty. One of his worst games this season, even with his part in the final gaffe Kos was no worse than him (I think better). Either way this would indicate he held or tried to hold our backline together by himself, which he didn't and in fact played a big part in its lack of cohesion.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Arshavin huffed and puffed, and looked a little dangerous at times, but there were moments when he'd revert to his ways and either lose the ball, forget the ball or just generally be a cluts running into nowhere with is head down.

I'd give 5.5 FWIW.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

AnthonyG said:
Webdesignlab said:
Sagna - 6
Koscielny - 4
Djourou - 8
Clichy - 4
Taking a break from football has made you rusty. One of his worst games this season, even with his part in the final gaffe Kos was no worse than him (I think better). Either way this would indicate he held or tried to hold our backline together by himself, which he didn't and in fact played a big part in its lack of cohesion.
Agree, looked nervous along with Kos, Clichy and Sagna. Basically their first cup final together was one to forget.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
AnthonyG said:
Webdesignlab said:
Sagna - 6
Koscielny - 4
Djourou - 8
Clichy - 4
Taking a break from football has made you rusty. One of his worst games this season, even with his part in the final gaffe Kos was no worse than him (I think better). Either this would indicate he held or tried to hold our backline together by himself, which he didn't and in fact played a big part in its lack of cohesion.

The air-ball clearance aside, he was the difference between us going in at HT 1-1 or 4-1 down. He was always the one to deflect crosses away from danger when they pressured. JD was a distance behind Kos IMO.

eye4goal

Established Member
mo50 said:
Song, Sagna, Clichy, Djourou were a bag of nerves. I didn't think the occasion would get to them, but it sadly did. They have it in them to do better and hopefully they take the experience on board.

I expected better from them too. I hope they learn from it but they are not exactly youngsters and you also worry that the continued experience of failure can be counter-productive. Wenger has got a massive job in his hands lifting them up.

Arsenal Quotes

"Maybe we'll have a good surprise for you"

Arsène hints at transfer activity a day before the arrival of Mesut Özil

Latest posts

Top Bottom