• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal vs Birmingham - Match ratings

fabo

6.51 / 10
Laurent Koscielny
Lucky not to be sent off following a studs-up challenge on Bowyer and was then primarily to blame for the horrible misunderstanding that led to Birmingham's winner. 4

Lee Bowyer
Could feel agrieved with several refereeing decisions after an excellent midfield display. Clearly onside when he was fouled by Szczesny and the victim of a dangerous challenge from Koscielny. 8

From the Telegraph.

Haha, I'm sure the replays showed that Koscielny didn't even touch Bowyer. Media really hate us.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Wojciech 5
Sagna 5
Djorou 4
Kos 4
Clichy 5
Song 4
Jack 6
Rosicky 3
Arshavin 4
RvP 5
Nasri 5

Bendtner, Chamakh N/A

Wenger 1

justinmitchell

Snes 6.5 was ok considering the defence in front of him and how often they ****ed the basics up but then again he really should have done more on the goals
Sagna 5 really bad performance
DJ 4 sucked up field far too often and left his man unmarked, responsible for the first goal where Zigic got a free header
Kos 4 really nervous performance totally hashed the second goal seriously what the hell
Clichy 4.5 Pretty poor game but when you have to cover two players on your own what do you expect. routinely ****ed the offside trap up
Song 3.5 shocking, takes the piss out of an invisible wall. Totally ineffective
Ros 3 was hardly on the ball all game and when he was he fluffed it, rubbish performance
Nasri 6.5 did what he could, ineffective first half good patch in second looked the most likely to create or score
Wilshere 6.5 Tidy about the best you could hope for when everyone else around you is way out of form
Ars 6 looked threatening and lazy some good play and movement and lovely assist
Rvp 7 played well with an ineffective midfield and rubbish supply, killed it when he was on the ball, looks back to his best

jerome2158

Established Member
I can't see the point in blaming wenger for this. Apart from rosicky...what did he do wrong? He played the first team, and they bottled it.

Everyone gets a 0. Live and die as a team, and today they died.

Anzac

Established Member
jerome2158 said:
I can't see the point in blaming wenger for this. Apart from rosicky...what did he do wrong? He played the first team, and they bottled it.

AW gets it as much as the players because this is the team that he built & the players he put his faith in. We see similar such performances/issues from these same players every season & nothing changes.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
The events that led to the game were totally against us. Birmingham had a good long rest. We were knackered with fixture pileup and were missing Cesc and Theo.

Our players and Wenger also hyped the game too much and we did not rise to the occassion. E.g. Wenger talk of Quadruple, many of our players talking about the win in Wembley, media massive favour toward Arsenal win etc...

I was furious when Wenger subbed Arshavin instead of useless Rosicky. After RvP left, Arshavin and Nasri were the only ones who could create something.

Can't Wenger understand that Bendtner/Chamakh attack partnership is the equivalent of Kos/Squid defense fiasco ?

We are all disappointed but that is probably 1/10000-th of how Wenger felt yesterday.

I really really hope Wenger somehow manages to get the confidence back up in our team. From recent history this is a very bad omen which could wreck our entire season.

progman07

Established Member
The Jury said:
Champs: JACK*, Nasri, Rvp, Kos (apart from the mix up)

Mehs: Sagna, Szcz.

Chumps: Clichy, JD, Rosicky, SONG*, Arshavin.
That's called bias. Kos a champion? I understand you love him, but he was more at fault for the goal than Szszesny, okey this is debatable so I say they were equally at fault.

Kos tried to kick there, then stopped, the keeper is confused, should he still claim the ball? But he will be kicked at full power by the defender... then he has got a half second to retreat, but Kos doesn't kick the ball after making the movement...

It happens at strikers as well, by the way, the cross comes in, the defender tries to kick it out, the striker doesn't expect the ball to get through, so when the defender cocks up, he is surprised and cant kick the ball properly.

russkiegooner

progman07 said:
he was more at fault for the goal than Szszesny, okey this is debatable so I say they were equally at fault.
And he was also partially at fault for the first goal we conceded. It was Kos who lost the first duel in the air, the one that turned out to be the assist for Zigic. Calling him a "champ" in this game is exaggerated indeed, to put it mildly.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Szczesny 5/10

Sagna 5/10
Djourou 5/10
Koscielny 5/10
Clichy 6/10

Song 5/10
Wilshere 7/10
Rosicky 5/10

Nasri 6/10
van Persie 7/10
Arshavin 6/10

DanielVale

Overall, we did okay. Great in attack, Wilshere bossed the midfield, but without Fabregas - Song is useless. The defence needs Vermaelen and another signing to bolster the squad - and we need a new #1.

Szczesny 4 - Back to square one with goalkeeping, Almunia is a fail, Fabianski is a fail, and now Szczensy...however Szczesny is better than yesterdays performance, and he did make a courageous challenge against Martins at the end of the game, but this time the occasion got to him. Awful keeping from the corner (yet again another set piece) which led to a Zigic's opener, didn't need to come out. Its hard to see who really ****ed up at the end, but all I remember is Kos air kicking the ball into Martins' feet, its almost as if Szczesny called for it, but concentration levels just dropped for a split second, and that ladies and gentlemen, is the difference between winners and losers.

Sagna 5 - Can't really remember what he did, a few hit and hope crosses and passing to the invisible team mate which led to the corner, which in turn, led to Birmingham's opener.

Djourou 6 - Again didn't really do much wrong, should have been marking Zigic like a hawk though in all set pieces, but dealt with everything else okay.

Koscielny 3 - Sorry mate, but that was shocking. Gifted the cup to Birmingham. That now reads 3 cup finals we have thrown away and 2 semi finals we have bottled in 5 years. Cheers buddy. I know Szczesny is equally at fault here, but Kos really should be walloping that ball to touch without hesitation, thats where experience comes in. Tony Adams had some similar howlers back in the day, and he learnt from them, I hope to ****ing god, Wenger gives Kos (and Szcz) the biggest bollocking and reality check in Arsenal's dressing room history.

Clichy 5 - Average, can't remember what he did.

Song 4 - Piss poor in possession, and plays like a lost soul without Fabregas keeping him in check. Haplessly running around like a headless chicken at times with a few tackles thrown in for good measure.

Wilshere 8 - Our best player yesterday, bossed the midfield, gave a bit of bite and venom when needed, so unlucky with his 20 yard bullet, but he is going to be a world class player, and hopefully some form of silverware will be rewarded to him in the future.

Rosicky 2 - Invisible, useless and clueless. Get him the **** out, and take the heap of useless talent in Denilson with you mate. I can't see what Rosicky gives us anymore. He's a shadow of his former self, and those months rotting away on the medical table has thrown his game off. He's on a different planet in his passing, and tries ridiculous lay offs to no one. Probably the worst player on the pitch yesterday, and probably our worst outfield player right now.

Nasri 7 - At times in the second half, looked like our best assett for scoring. Great dribbling and a few scuffs of the ball. But Ben Foster was up the challenge I'm afraid.

van Persie 7 - The game changed when RVP (and even more so when Arshavin was subbed) went off yesterday, as soon as we put Bendtner and Chamakh on, we had no attacking threat. Great goal, but was given little service other than that. Went off injured, and looks like we'll be without him till the end of the season (knowing our luck).

Arshavin 7 - Looked sharp and up for it yesterday, could have scored in the early minutes, and made a great assist for RVP. Was gutted when he came off.

mccroix

DanielVale said:
- and we need a new #1.

Szczesny 4 - Back to square one with goalkeeping, Almunia is a fail, Fabianski is a fail, and now Szczensy...

Comments like that make me sick and are the reason I don't post that much on this forum any more.

The KID is 20 years old, had some very good moments and a really good season so far.
You can argue taht he was at fault for that goal. But Koscielny must not hesitate and kick that ball out of the ****ing stadium. That was the bigger mistake.

Saying "back to square one", while talking about 1 mistake which wasn't all down to him in his first cup final at the age of bloody 20 is so ****ing ridiculous.

HE IS 20!!!!!!!!!!!!

my word...some of you people are so quick to judge someone by one single situation...

You'll be the first to say what a world class keeper he is in a few years time and that you've supported him all along.

I guess you're the type who want someone like Neuer, well guess what, a few years ago he was making mistake after mistake...now he's matured and looks to be a world beater

You don't seem to get the fact that at least 50% of being a goal keeper is down to confidence and experience and I have never seen a goal keeper that age being so confident and determined..he'll be world class.
But yeah, sell the loser, get some ****ing 35 year old spaniard in summer and watch Szczesny become world class for ManU

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
all young keepers are going to make mistakes.. unfortunately for Snes, his biggest came in the 90th minute of a cup final.. (and while I agree with makaveli that Kos should have kicked it anyway, being called off at the last second threw both of them into disarray and Snes did let his concentration down and didnt get the ball he called for).. a searate fact is that if we had played even remotely half-decent, the game could/should have been won by that point.. we played bad as a team in general and Brum took advantage.. full stop

however, he is full of confidence and im sure this will not derail his season. lets not forget that he made a couple of key saves (including a 1 v. 1 with Zigic) to keep us in the game in the first place..

im still OK with Snes as first choice, as we probably would have been behind by a couple of goals with Failmunia in goal..

The Escaped Ape

makaveli tha don said:
DanielVale said:
- and we need a new #1.

Szczesny 4 - Back to square one with goalkeeping, Almunia is a fail, Fabianski is a fail, and now Szczensy...

Comments like that make me sick and are the reason I don't post that much on this forum any more.

The KID is 20 years old, had some very good moments and a really good season so far.
You can argue taht he was at fault for that goal. But Koscielny must not hesitate and kick that ball out of the ******* stadium. That was the bigger mistake.

Saying "back to square one", while talking about 1 mistake which wasn't all down to him in his first cup final at the age of bloody 20 is so ******* ridiculous.

HE IS 20!!!!!!!!!!!!

my word...some of you people are so quick to judge someone by one single situation...

You'll be the first to say what a world class keeper he is in a few years time and that you've supported him all along.

I guess you're the type who want someone like Neuer, well guess what, a few years ago he was making mistake after mistake...now he's matured and looks to be a world beater

You don't seem to get the fact that at least 50% of being a goal keeper is down to confidence and experience and I have never seen a goal keeper that age being so confident and determined..he'll be world class.
But yeah, sell the loser, get some ******* 35 year old spaniard in summer and watch Szczesny become world class for ManU

I think this is half the problem. Major, major future talents are having to develop as the default first choice at a very early stage of their Arsenal careers. Szczesny is only 20 and has only appeared for our senior team something like 16 times, knowing that all the back-up there is is the hopeless Almunia. Nothing like feeling the weight of an entire team's season on your shoulders. Confidence is one thing, but I wonder too how long-lasting that confidence can be if it's tested in such an intense way. Koscielny has made an enormous leap up to the Premier League and has been thrown into the deep end. Intended to either be back up to, or learn alongside, a more experienced fellow CB, he's had, like Djourou and Squillaci, to form a solid CB partnership in a team publicly renowned for its defensive frailty, so under the most intense of spotlights. We have no long established CB generals for these guys to develop under the eye of, unlike Smalling at United.

Both have made a lot of progress considering the amount of pressure on them. What happened yesterday was awful. But I don't want them to be thrown out/given up on. I want them to be given the backing, space and support to put this all behind them and pick up their development.

Don't get me wrong. I'm as sick to the stomach as anyone here, but I blame Wenger more than I do the two young/inexperienced players. Not a point about his tactics on the day (though I was as appalled as any by the choice of Rosicky), but rather his insistence that one very talented CB, two young but promising and unproven CBs, one coming back from serious injury, and one journeyman was enough. We needed another seriously experienced CB and we needed a serious goalkeeper. It was always a gamble to do anything else, a very Wenger-like gamble, that might have paid off (and might still, outside the Carling Cup, though the chances are now rather lower), but it would have been a lucky throw of the dice, not a wise risk-averse decision.

I don't think we should completely forget that neither Szczeny nor Koscielny will have played in a Cup Final, at Wembley, before either. It's a different sort of game, a different sort of mental strength needed.

DanielVale

makaveli tha don said:
DanielVale said:
- and we need a new #1.

Don't be so naive, I do rate Scznesny, much more than Almunia and Fabianski. You ask ze_gooner what I think of Scznzesny and his comparrison of the "world class" Fabianski

I know how old the lad is, so cry me a river dude, can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I can stick my hand up when I get egg on my face, so kindly jog on.

Maybe I was a little critical, but thats how it feels, 1 step forward, 3 steps back with our goalkeepers. Since Lehman was sent off in the CL final of 2006, Almnunia and co have fluffed their lines. I'm hoping the lad can bounce back, as he is a quality goal keeper, he might become world class, but he isn't yet and I said that he is better than his performance showed yesterday, but the occasion got to him.

Read the rest of someones post before jumping on the "patience" bandwagon.

mccroix

DanielVale said:
makaveli tha don said:
DanielVale said:
- and we need a new #1.

Don't be so naive, I do rate Scznesny, much more than Almunia and Fabianski. You ask ze_gooner what I think of Scznzesny and his comparrison of the "world class" Fabianski

I know how old the lad is, so cry me a river dude, can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I can stick my hand up when I get egg on my face, so kindly jog on.

Maybe I was a little critical, but thats how it feels, 1 step forward, 3 steps back with our goalkeepers. Since Lehman was sent off in the CL final of 2006, Almnunia and co have fluffed their lines. I'm hoping the lad can bounce back, as he is a quality goal keeper, he might become world class, but he isn't yet and I said that he is better than his performance showed yesterday, but the occasion got to him.

Read the rest of someones post before jumping on the "patience" bandwagon.

I read all that, but you also said we need a new number 1.
Here the news mate: if there's a new number 1, Szczensy's off, I'd love to see your reaction when we're stuck with a new average GK and Szczensy turns out world class at a different club.

and btw, it's not his choice to play (of course he would want to) but Wenger picked him to play, so don't give me that "if you can't stand the heat" crap.

If you blame anyone blame Wenger for putting a 20 year old keeper in such a situation.

And if you rate him so much, you were just as naive to expect a 20 year old keeper not to have a mistake once in a while at the beginning of his carreer, although I'm still putting this on Kos more than on WS.

sabret00the

Established Member
Wojciech Szczesny - 5 - Worst game of the season, but a couple quality saves in there.
Bacary Sagna - 6 - Average.
Gael Clichy - 6 - Average.
Johan Djourou - 7 - Put in a shift and dealt with everything in the air mostly.
Laurent Koscielny - 6 - Most certainly less than what he put in against Barca.
Tomas Rosicky - 4 - Absolute tripe. He killed us.
Samir Nasri - 5 - Lacked service but his decision making was diabolical.
Alex Song - 6 - Wasn't a performance he'll look back on with pride. People would've noticed how average he was even with his natural hair.
Jack Wilshere - 8 - Played out of his skin. A cut above most of his team mates.
Andrey Arshavin - 5 - Yes another poor performance. Though he did muster up two moments of magic.
Robin van Persie (c) - 7 - Lacked service and tried to create too much as opposed to kill off the game with his own magic.
Marouane Chamakh - LOL - Laughed my arse off!
Nicklas Bendtner - 6 - Wanted to be a hero but was a hindrance in his decision making.

jerome2158

Established Member
Anzac said:
jerome2158 said:

AW gets it as much as the players because this is the team that he built & the players he put his faith in. We see similar such performances/issues from these same players every season & nothing changes.

See, I agree that its his team, and he assembled it as such, but people need to have some level of fairness in their ranking.

For example:

We beat Barcelona, and it's due to great personal displays, every player showed belief and desire, etc etc etc.

We lose to anyone, and it's because Wenger is ****, made poor selections/substitutions, didn't motivate them enough, and so on.

So why does everything positive reflect greatly on the players, while all the negatives reflect poorly on just Arsène? Quite frankly, nearly the whole team played like **** yesterday. And it was a team that wasn't so different from the one who beat Chelsea and Barcelona earlier this season.

We all know our players are more than capable because they've shown it. Why then do we blame wenger when they don't live up to the expectations they have set for themselves?

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom