• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers (Out)

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
What is he 25 with ~150 premier league games.

When fit last season he was a starter in a back four at CB and RB. Can also do a job at CDM.

Kyle Walker-Peters has gone for £12m. He's played 2 dozen PL games.

Keep selling guys for pennies on the dollar and then keep moaning that 1. We've not got enough money to buy players & 2. We don't sell as well as other clubs

This window will show if we have really improved when it comes to getting decent money when selling a player. We need to sell to generate funds to make much needed improvements throughout the squad. Because of that need we will probably have to take a hit on some players if there isn't much demand. However if we get only £12m for Chambers and £20m for AMN I will be extremely disappointed.

Yes Chambers is coming back from acl but plenty of players have come back from that injury before. He can still be a very attractive option for one of the promoted teams or any club below 8th place.

I hate to bring up Liverpool again but they sold a 31 year old Lovren who I think only had a year left to a Russian club for £11m. How do they continuously pull that off? So here was a player who was past his peak, clearly was out of his depth at a big club, didn't seem to have many suitors who wanted him. He also was on huge wages, the English tax didn't apply to him too. No resale value etc. As for Chambers injury, Lovren missed about 5 months through injury in the last 2 seasons. All those factors should have made getting any money for Lovren very diffucult yet they managed to get decent money for him.

I would like to see our club come close to that level. Only then will we be able to compete for the best players.

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
As with others above I’d sell quite a few other players before getting to Chambers. Third choice RB could be important if we sell AMN, considering Bellerin’s injury history, and we won’t get much for Chambers this summer, coming off his injury.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
This window will show if we have really improved when it comes to getting decent money when selling a player. We need to sell to generate funds to make much needed improvements throughout the squad. Because of that need we will probably have to take a hit on some players if there isn't much demand. However if we get only £12m for Chambers and £20m for AMN I will be extremely disappointed.

Yes Chambers is coming back from acl but plenty of players have come back from that injury before. He can still be a very attractive option for one of the promoted teams or any club below 8th place.

I hate to bring up Liverpool again but they sold a 31 year old Lovren who I think only had a year left to a Russian club for £11m. How do they continuously pull that off? So here was a player who was past his peak, clearly was out of his depth at a big club, didn't seem to have many suitors who wanted him. He also was on huge wages, the English tax didn't apply to him too. No resale value etc. As for Chambers injury, Lovren missed about 5 months through injury in the last 2 seasons. All those factors should have made getting any money for Lovren very diffucult yet they managed to get decent money for him.

I would like to see over club come close to that level. Only then will we be able to compete for the best players.

You need to lower your expectations. The other day you said Holding is worth at least £20m, that's never going to happen! £12m for Chambers is about right. We could get £22m for AMN but depends how much interest there is for him, £20m is more likely!

akhil

He's 20M+ in a normal market. But Covid and his ACL injury is going to depress his value. Any team buying him now won't see him in action till probably November, optimistically. This is not even including all the problems with ACL recoveries.

GunnerShy

Chambers is at best 6th choice CB and 3rd choice RB. Sell him and put the money elsewhere.
Ok but logically who is ahead of him?
Luiz, Saliba, Gabriel, Mustafi, Mari, Chambers, Sokratis, Holding

AsIAs things stand, in 12 months at least three of them are gone (Luiz, Sok, Mustafi).

Now I don't mind selling him but get a good price for him. Because you won't be able to replace him for £12m in 12 months.

akhil

AsIAs things stand, in 12 months at least three of them are gone (Luiz, Sok, Mustafi).

Now I don't mind selling him but get a good price for him. Because you won't be able to replace him for £12m in 12 months.

Mavropanos is back in 12 months. Numbers wise we're still good. Unless we're going back 5 long term.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

When fit last season he was a starter in a back four at CB and RB. Can also do a job at CDM.

Keep selling guys for pennies on the dollar and then keep moaning that 1. We've not got enough money to buy players & 2. We don't sell as well as other clubs
KWP has a clear injury history, Calum has a ruptured ACL and a past recurring foot injury.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

What about Lovren though? He’s gone for almost the same fee.
I definitely do not support that transfer but Lovren is a decorated Croatian international, played in CL with both Liverpool and Lyon and has over 160 appearances for Liverpool in the PL. I would guess Zenit wanted that profile and paid above/around market value to bring him in. Chambers is a little different circumstance in that he's still relatively a risk in terms of his injury and consistency. I'd still push for atleast 16M though.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I definitely do not support that transfer but Lovren is a decorated Croatian international, played in CL with both Liverpool and Lyon and has over 160 appearances for Liverpool in the PL. I would guess Zenit wanted that profile and paid above/around market value to bring him in. Chambers is a little different circumstance in that he's still relatively a risk in terms of his injury and consistency. I'd still push for atleast 16M though.

Yeah I get he’s decorated in terms of caps but he was a fourth choice CB who was 31 years old.

On high wages as well. Painful when a prime HG defender who has an England cap iirc is going for the same price.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The little amount of minutes at CB in recent seasons + big injury probably kills the fee a bit. I forgot how much he played DM for Fulham.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

I hear what you're saying but other clubs sell their players when they're promising or have had a good loan. Walker-Peters comes from a decent current Sp**s squad and did well on his loan. He's young and has no injuries. He's still hot potential. Chambers came from an average Southampton. He's been through four managers here who didn’t seem to rate him. He's played in three different positions and has suffered a bad injury. Hes average and unwanted and all buyers know this.We should have cashed in two seasons ago but we overrated him and got greedy. Our trash will never fetch enough to help us build a squad but they will sit on their contracts and drain us financially. Ox was a sensible and timely sale which we need to do more often. Not buying rubbish in the first place will also help.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

The problem is that we've no chance of selling him for a good price. If all our CB's perform and are fit, he's behind Luiz, Gabriel, Saliba and Holding. He fights it out with Mari. Even with three departures next year, Mavro returns so we'd have five CB's and possibly Medley as well. Hell never play enough games yo come good snd if he does, this time next year, he'll have one year left on his contract....We must sell now.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He has literally just come back from an ACL and hasn't even proven that he can get back to the level he was before. If someone is offering 12 million. You bite their hand off. If Holding, Chambers and Sokratis can cover Gabriel's fee that is brilliant business. 3 wages off the books at the expense of one, and one fee covered.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I can understand wanting to get that lump Kola off the books or Sokratis and his big wage out for peanuts but Chambers? I dunno... Sell for the right price or keep imo.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
I can understand wanting to get that lump Kola off the books or Sokratis and his big wage out for peanuts but Chambers? I dunno... Sell for the right price or keep imo.

?

Kolasinac has done more at this club than Chambers ever will.

Guy is constantly injured, loaned out to sh!t teams, and when he actually ever plays, he's the epitome of average.

6 years and counting. Get shot of him asap.

GDeep™

League is very weak
?

Kolasinac has done more at this club than Chambers ever will.

Guy is constantly injured, loaned out to sh!t teams, and when he actually ever plays, he's the epitome of average.

6 years and counting. Get shot of him asap.
Done well on his loans though, was playing here too before his injury. Have to sell for more than 12M.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom