• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Hamburger SV | 21/11/06

Army of Me

Established Member
Alfonso, Kamikaze, Trisoman, Gstew and AllyBoy - that's the most confusing group of posts I've ever read :lol:

Let's just beat Porto so my head doesn't explode!

GunneDown

We have loads of games through December so i am looking forward to seeing bap and theo start some games.

invisibleman18

Established Member
Phew. Relief is the only word to explain that.
I thought we were toast at half time 1-0 down. Couldn't see us finding a way to goal and a loss would have all but put us out at the group stage. Nerves were settled somewhat with the early 2nd half equaliser but still I think the draw would have probably eliminated us with a must win away trip to Porto with Henry suspended (3 of the most ridiculous yellow cards ever too, the 1st for scoring a perfectly legit goal, the 2nd for a perfect ball winning tackle and no idea what today's 3rd was for, anyone got any idea?).

I can't make head nor tail of the permutations for what can happen if all 3 teams end up equal. It seems like a draw for us in Porto is probably enough, but that will be difficult with Porto seemingly needing a win. I don't know lol, can't be bothered going through it. Let's just go there and win!

qs

Established Member
invisibleman18 said:
Phew. Relief is the only word to explain that.
I thought we were toast at half time 1-0 down. Couldn't see us finding a way to goal and a loss would have all but put us out at the group stage. Nerves were settled somewhat with the early 2nd half equaliser but still I think the draw would have probably eliminated us with a must win away trip to Porto with Henry suspended (3 of the most ridiculous yellow cards ever too, the 1st for scoring a perfectly legit goal, the 2nd for a perfect ball winning tackle and no idea what today's 3rd was for, anyone got any idea?).

I can't make head nor tail of the permutations for what can happen if all 3 teams end up equal. It seems like a draw for us in Porto is probably enough, but that will be difficult with Porto seemingly needing a win. I don't know lol, can't be bothered going through it. Let's just go there and win!

He bumped into a defender. Crazy yellow card.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Army of Me said:
Alfonso, Kamikaze, Trisoman, Gstew and AllyBoy - that's the most confusing group of posts I've ever read :lol:

Let's just beat Porto so my head doesn't explode!
no need for exploding heads, people just should not post things when they're not sure.

it's very easy

a draw v Porto and we win the group no matter what happens in the other match.

Alfonso

Established Member
Im actually thinking finishing 2nd now is better than finishing 1st. Why?

Well, if we finish 2nd these are the teams we are most likely to face-

Valenica(good team, nothing special)
Lyon(Good team, but our french connection will be an advantage to us)
AC Milan(worst Milan side in 10 years)
Bayern Munich(average Bayern side)
Celtic(Just a rich man's Bolton)
Chelsea(we wont face them because of English rule)
Liverpool(same as above)

If we finish 1st we could face-

Roma(prob the best footballing side in Europe at the moment-Totti is back)
Real Madrid(Best Real side since 03, Cappelo has given them steel, Diarra, Cannavaro and Ruud have been great signings)
Barcelona(European Champions.Enuf said).
Inter(Just look at their squad. Won 7 in a row)
Man Utd(Wont face them cos of English rule)
PSV(An underrated side)
Lille/Anderlect(The easiest draw of the round for whoever gets them).

So finishing 2nd is better than finishing 1st,

nidza7

Established Member
In basic we need not to lose at Porto.Simple as that.
Best way is go for it and try to win the game IMO.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Alfonso is right. Finshing second is better. So once Hamburg are 3-0 up v CSKA, we should start scoring own goals. But preferably inconspicuous, because if Porto notice we do it on purpose, they might try to outscore us with even more own goals.

lagos

Established Member
Alfonso said:
So finishing 2nd is better than finishing 1st,

I'll take either as they are both better than finishing third and the indignity of the UEFA cup.

ps: you ommited Lyon (a likely opponent for 2nd place finish and THE team i don't want to draw)

lagos

Established Member
We are a Jeckle and Hyde side at the moment. I'm not even confident we'll get something against Porto, talk less of Lyon. Something tells me we will rue the henry disallowed goal and yellow card to cska

Army of Me

Established Member
lagosgooner said:
Something tells me we will rue the henry disallowed goal and yellow card to cska
I was talking about that with my mate last night.

If that decision costs us a place in the knockout stages then there will be no greater argument for the introduction of video referees.

If we miss out by a goal or a point then that ref's dumb-ass decision will have cost us millions.

IBL

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Alfonso is right. Finshing second is better. So once Hamburg are 3-0 up v CSKA, we should start scoring own goals. But preferably inconspicuous, because if Porto notice we do it on purpose, they might try to outscore us with even more own goals.
:lol: :lol:

vin de guerre

I was starting to doubt the value of Eboue last night and was not very impressed with Clichy for that matter either. The lack of quality crosses from both was frustrating to say the least. There was one point where Eboue was caught right out of position and so led to to a dangerous situation. Mad Jens had right go at him after that!
But at the end of the day EE came up with the perfect cross/shot that if it had not made an ass out of their goalie would have been planted in the net by Titi.
Overall just relieved we got over this hurdle and await an eventful game in Portugal!

Don Pacifico

Established Member
To be fair, there was a match in Asia that I remember seeing a clip from where they were in a cup competition and both teams knew that they would be facing the favourites in the next round if they finished first in their group. The team who won this match would come first in the group. It was so desperate that one of the players scored a great solo effort into his own goal. True story!

lagos

Established Member
Ice Berg legend said:
clockwork orange said:

so final score 14-13?

The_byrne

lagosgooner said:
Ice Berg legend said:
clockwork orange said:

so final score 14-13?

Thats absolute bollocks, and short sighted. Sooner rather than later we will have to play a big team and it might as well be the last 16.

if we win we could have, barca, inter, PSV, roma, real, AEK

if we come second we could have lyon, AC, valencia or bayern.

We would stuggle to beat lyon,valencia or bayern, but i would fancy us against, all the other teams, we would be motivated against Barca and Inter are over-rated, under motivated and inconsistant

Alfonso

Established Member
lagosgooner said:
We are a Jeckle and Hyde side at the moment. I'm not even confident we'll get something against Porto, talk less of Lyon. Something tells me we will rue the henry disallowed goal and yellow card to cska

inches.al pacino.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom