• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Hamburger SV | 21/11/06

GlasGreenGunner

Alfonso said:
Im actually thinking finishing 2nd now is better than finishing 1st. Why?

Well, if we finish 2nd these are the teams we are most likely to face-

Valenica(good team, nothing special)
Lyon(Good team, but our french connection will be an advantage to us)
AC Milan(worst Milan side in 10 years)
Bayern Munich(average Bayern side)
Celtic(Just a rich man's Bolton)
Chelsea(we wont face them because of English rule)
Liverpool(same as above)

If we finish 1st we could face-

Roma(prob the best footballing side in Europe at the moment-Totti is back)
Real Madrid(Best Real side since 03, Cappelo has given them steel, Diarra, Cannavaro and Ruud have been great signings)
Barcelona(European Champions.Enuf said).
Inter(Just look at their squad. Won 7 in a row)
Man Utd(Wont face them cos of English rule)
PSV(An underrated side)
Lille/Anderlect(The easiest draw of the round for whoever gets them).

So finishing 2nd is better than finishing 1st,

Nothing like talking out your arse is there ?
With the team Arsenal have got they should fear nobody.

As a supporter of "Rich Man's Bolton" (typical uneducated know nothing view) first and foremost (i.e. just before the Gunners) I know I certainly don't fear meeting any team in this competition.
That's not blase, that's just taking the tournament for what it is, i.e. the best football competition in the world.
So when it comes to wearing my Arsenal hat I feel the same, and fear nobody.

Alfonso

Established Member
Celtic are a rich man's Bolton imo. And last night they were lucky to win to be honest. Name me one Celtic player that could get into any of the top 4 EPL clubs first 11? Hell, a Celtic player cant even get into Sp**s side.

Celtic play the typical British game, hence similar to Bolton.

How many times in the past 10 years have Celtic reached the last 16?

I would hate for Arsenal to get Celtic actually. As it would be just like any other tough Northen game for Arsenal.

But Celtic wont go far in the CL as "British football" can only take you so far in the Europe. However, having said that, i cant see any team, including Barca beating you at Celtic Park. You truely have a fortress there.

Alfonso

Established Member
GlasGreenGunner said:

Considering our current form i would be affarid of a whole of different teams that we could get in the next round, IF we qualify.

marco

when was the last time porto lost at home?

i dont remember it happening very often, though henry being out is an advantage to us.

because the system we play at the moment does not suit in with his back to goal all the time and adebayor is better in that role.

by the way i am not advocating henry being dropped at all

RockyRocastle

Established Member
GlasGreenGunner said:
Alfonso said:

Liverpool(same as above)

Real Madrid(Best Real side since 03, Cappelo has given them steel, Diarra, Cannavaro and Ruud have been great signings)
PSV(An underrated side)

As a supporter of "Rich Man's Bolton" (typical uneducated know nothing view) first and foremost (i.e. just before the Gunners) I know I certainly don't fear meeting any team in this competition.

How does this work then?

So if Arsenal play Celtic you will want Arsenal to lose?

Why do so many Celtic supporters feel the need to latch onto English teams? Cant you just be satisfied with following one team?

lagos

Established Member
The_byrne said:
lagosgooner said:
Ice Berg legend said:
clockwork orange said:
Alfonso is right. Finshing second is better. So once Hamburg are 3-0 up v CSKA, we should start scoring own goals. But preferably inconspicuous, because if Porto notice we do it on purpose, they might try to outscore us with even more own goals.
:lol: :lol:

so final score 14-13?

Thats absolute bollocks, and short sighted. Sooner rather than later we will have to play a big team and it might as well be the last 16.

if we win we could have, barca, inter, PSV, roma, real, AEK

if we come second we could have lyon, AC, valencia or bayern.

We would stuggle to beat lyon,valencia or bayern, but i would fancy us against, all the other teams, we would be motivated against Barca and Inter are over-rated, under motivated and inconsistant

Lighten up,surely evryone else couls see my comment was intended as a joke and if you weren't referring to my comment , you shouldn't have quoted me. Having said that I agree if we cannot beat any team over 2 legs we don't deserve to progress and so in that spirit I don't care who we face. Like I said before I'm more worried we won't even qualify

GlasGreenGunner

Alfonso said:
Celtic are a rich man's Bolton imo. And last night they were lucky to win to be honest. Name me one Celtic player that could get into any of the top 4 EPL clubs first 11? Hell, a Celtic player cant even get into Sp**s side.

I would hate for Arsenal to get Celtic actually. As it would be just like any other tough Northen game for Arsenal.

But Celtic wont go far in the CL as "British football" can only take you so far in the Europe. However, having said that, i cant see any team, including Barca beating you at Celtic Park. You truely have a fortress there.

Well if you are basing last nights performance as your judgement then I could agree with your assessment.
Then again, that was Celtic's worst performance this season, including the defeat away to Benfica.
So what does that tell you ?
Yes they were lucky, then again you need that kind of luck from time to time.
Just ask Man U that from the final in 99.

I personally don't care too much which players wouldn't get into what team.
They are a TEAM and that is more important than individuals in this game.

As for how many times in the last 16 ?
Well, since this is only our 4th time appearing in the group stages, our first time we managed 9 points and lost out on goal difference, second time we lost out to a last minute dubious Lyon penalty in the final game, and the 3rd time we were always up against it with Milan and Barca in the group.

However, I think the teams that have played us and not won speak for themselves.
Only Barca have won at Celtic Park in the Champions League.

GlasGreenGunner

RockyRocastle said:
GlasGreenGunner said:
Alfonso said:

Liverpool(same as above)

PSV(An underrated side)

How does this work then?

So if Arsenal play Celtic you will want Arsenal to lose?

Why do so many Celtic supporters feel the need to latch onto English teams? Cant you just be satisfied with following one team?

Now for you.

Is it a problem for someone to feel an affinity with your club ?
I can tell you I have been supporting Arsenal for over 20 years as a second side, following on from trials I had as a youth, which was one of the highlights of my life so far.
Granted I wasn't good enough in the end, but the experience and the way I was treated was fantastic.
Also the fact that I have played a game on the Highbury pitch.
You could also add to the fact that I was in Copenhagen for the game against Parma as well as several others, especially in the year when I was living in London.

So, apologies if I feel an affinity with YOUR club.
However, the Celts will always come first as far as I am concerned, and in a match between the two which isn't a friendly then the hoops will be the one and only for me.

I'm know I don't actually need to tell you all this information anyway.
But who knows, it may turn out that I have actually been a Gooner for longer than you have, and that might just stick in your craw.

So excuse me if I keep my support for the Arsenal, if it's ok with you.

qs

Established Member
Alfonso said:

Well Villa who are 9 places above Sp**s and on the same points as us have signed 2 players from Celtic this year and want to sign more. And Nakamura is better than Jenas and Venegoor would be a good option for most EPL teams.

Criticise them all you like but they have a European Cup and we dont. They also have passionate support and a rich history to their club. Celtic are one of the great European clubs no matter what you currently think of them. If they were allowed into English football they'd be a huge threat to us and our CL campaign every year. The fact that theyve reached the last 16 of the CL a game quicker than us despite being in a tougher group and coming from a **** league is a tribute to them.

GlasGreenGunner

Guys, please.
Don't take this away from the thread title.
I don't wanna be accused of it anyway.

I just took a wee bit of umbridge at the bhoys being referred to as a "Rich Man's Bolton", as it is usually the retort of someone who doesn't get to see them much.
A bit like Mike Parry etc.

Back on topic, Gunners should fear no-one in the last 16.

Celtic v Arsenal final ;)

Believe - Athens 2007

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
What an intense match, very exciting. Nice finish by RvP on his weaker right foot and good to see Baptista and Eboue scoring, we're very unpredictable. And credit to Theo Walcott, he was our saviour.

Porto managed to thrash Hamburg and CSKA better than us so I can see a real scare in Lisbon but I'm very sure that we'll be able to get if not 3, 1 point from that game.

Tony Montana

Established Member
qs said:
Alfonso said:

Well Villa who are 9 places above Sp**s and on the same points as us have signed 2 players from Celtic this year and want to sign more. And Nakamura is better than Jenas and Venegoor would be a good option for most EPL teams.

Criticise them all you like but they have a European Cup and we dont. They also have passionate support and a rich history to their club. Celtic are one of the great European clubs no matter what you currently think of them. If they were allowed into English football they'd be a huge threat to us and our CL campaign every year. The fact that theyve reached the last 16 of the CL a game quicker than us despite being in a tougher group and coming from a s**t league is a tribute to them.

Aren't you Irish? Why is it all Irish people I know or see support Celtic, Man U or Arsenal but not their local teams? I actually agree with you though.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i wonder if henry delibrately got himself booked. with chelsea being the next game and all. maybe he bought hiimself a rest before that crunch game. it was pure childishness, bumping itno the defender on a few occasions and he must have known what was coming. or maybe i just underrate how much his poor form is affecting him causing that out of character behaviour.

dos1986

Established Member
Shouldnt be a problem though its not as if porto are going to try and beat ous when a draw is all they need Im going to heavily back a draw between ous and porto

qs

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
qs said:
Alfonso said:

Criticise them all you like but they have a European Cup and we dont. They also have passionate support and a rich history to their club. Celtic are one of the great European clubs no matter what you currently think of them. If they were allowed into English football they'd be a huge threat to us and our CL campaign every year. The fact that theyve reached the last 16 of the CL a game quicker than us despite being in a tougher group and coming from a s**t league is a tribute to them.

Aren't you Irish? Why is it all Irish people I know or see support Celtic, Man U or Arsenal but not their local teams? I actually agree with you though.

I live in a smallish town called Wicklow, there is no professional or even semi-professional team where I live. I really dont want to watch a bunch of hungover idiots kicking a ball around of a Sunday, thats why I dont support my local team.

I dont support Celtic I jsut think they deserve some respect, I do however hate Rangers.

Irish people support English teams because the level of Irish football isnt good, infact when I was a young lad starting to watch football it was even worse. Its a little better now and if I had a team locally that played in the Eircom League Id support them. Most irish people support their local GAA teams but not their soccer teams. Even the people I know who do support Irish teams support English or Italian teams too. Its just a case of wanting to see top level football.

There arent that many Irish Arsneal fans, or at least there werent when I was younger and started supporting Arsenal. Man United, Liverpool and Celtic are by far the biggest teams here. Man Utd because they were so successful Liverpool half their 80s success and half because theres so many Irish in Liverpool. Celtic is historical.

We've an Irish Assistant Manager and an Irish youth director (or whatever the title is) so why not supporters too.

dos1986

Established Member
Am not surprised you have no teams there at all paddy it was all trees and hills when I visited there before,nice place though with good people

Feis-al

nidza7 said:
We`ll trash Lyon easy.

:lol:

I thought putting them in that way people will kin dof get the idea. They are a team YOU/WE don't need in the knockout stages. If you have watched them play, you will understand that they have not lost yet and they field almost two teams which always find results. They have so far one of the best defences so, justthink really really hard if you want to meet them this early.

Gurgen

Established Member
Tony Montana said:
Gurgen said:
If we don't score before half time it's goodbye CL. And we won't score because Wenger's tactical masterplan has us wasting our 3 best players.

Oh dear....

Oh dear what child?

I was assuming he'd keep playing 4-5-1. You quote but you don't read.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom