• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Arsenal vs Twente | 27/08/08

dos1986

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs FC Twente Wed 27.08.08 20:05 BBC3

otfgoon said:
dos1986 said:
Good fortune happens, thats it.How is that lucky, it just happenend?

luck (lk)
n.
1. The chance happening of fortunate or adverse events; fortune

Luck is a word to describe good fortune, not exactly saying theres a fairy working behind the scenes throwing magical dust on Kuyt.

Yes thats what the dictionary says.

You said lucky!

Pool werent lucky, nobody is lucky, it just happens.

otfgoon

Established Member

dos1986 said:
You said lucky!

Again, what exactly do you think luck or lucky means? :D

I could say Liverpool keep getting refereing decisions in their favour and keep scoring late goals dispite playing awful and creating little chances, constantly over a period of time.

Or I could just say they are lucky... its just easier to say the latter.

Pádraig

According to Wenger we were "organised, disciplined and focused".

I thought we were sloppy, lacklustre and wasteful.

dos1986

Established Member

otfgoon said:
dos1986 said:
You said lucky!

I could say Liverpool keep getting refereing decisions in their favour and keep scoring late goals dispite playing awful and creating little chances, constantly over a period of time.

Late goals are late goals, nothing lucky about that.

Refereing decisions just happen, again no luck involved.

Winners are not lucky, thats what I am saying

arsmile

Established Member

dos1986 said:
otfgoon said:
dos1986 said:
You said lucky!

Late goals are late goals, nothing lucky about that.

Refereing decisions just happen, again no luck involved.

Winners are not lucky, thats what I am saying

and if a dodgey penalty goes your way- that is good fortune, that is good luck....

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

Pádraig said:

We won 4-0 , what did you expect? For once they killed off a team albeit even while playing in third gear but what did you hope for? An 8-0? So they took foot off the pedal. Personally I'm happy see them play badly yet win comfortably. United manage do it, Chelsea are masters at it - and its something we've struggled to do.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

dos1986 said:
and if a dodgey penalty goes your way- that is good fortune, that is good luck....

Doesn't happen so much based on last years decisions..in fact dodgy decisions are exclusively for use in games against us and reserved in particular for certain teams from northern England. Any rare decisions such as Ade being allowed score with his hand against United are to be punished severely forthwith and a penalty immediately awarded to the opposite team with Eboue to stand in goal

arsmile

Established Member

irishgunnerz said:
dos1986 said:

Doesn't happen so much based on last years decisions..in fact dodgy decisions are exclusively for use in games against us and reserved in particular for certain teams from northern England. Any rare decisions such as Ade being allowed score with his hand against United are to be punished severely forthwith and a penalty immediately awarded to the opposite team with Eboue to stand in goal

that was actually me who said that..and in context you'd see that is far from the point i was making

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

I know I know but tbh I'm not really worried about the point you were making, no offense

arsmile

Established Member

irishgunnerz said:
I know I know but tbh I'm not really worried about the point you were making, no offense

well actually i'm deeply deeply offended my friend!

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

I do apologise , how rude of me hehe.

Ach seriously though, win is a win, no matter how it arrives. 36 more scrappy unimpressive wins in the Prem and I'm a happy man.

xcdude24

Established Member

As a squad we definitely needed this result. A poor performance surely would have sealed another poor performance against Newcastle. Twente were extremely poor and it was never going to be a tightly contested match.

Theo was way too one-dimensional on the wing today, but I hope his finish shows Wenger where he needs to be NOW.

Bendtner was active, but not as good as everyone thinks. His touch let him down a bunch of time and had a couple cases of poor decision making.

Denilson was poor again and Song should have started from the start. Fabregas didn't have an amazing game but his performance indicates how vital he is to this team.

Nasri is already more effective than Hleb was. He still needs some time to adapt to our passing game, but I think we'll see the best of him come new year's. Eboue should have never come on. What the hell was Wenger thinking? Vela hasn't got a single minute of competitive play and today would have been a great day to introduce him.

Arsène was right in dropping Toure- I think he realized that he made a mistake in dropping Phil after ANC and it *appears* that he learned his lesson today. Hopefully Djourou starts against Newcastle, has no reason not to.

All in all it was a good result but i'm still highly skeptical. The performance was mediocre but Twente played poor and we were never going to give up a negative result. I'm nervous about saturday, and I hope this game doesn't serve as false confidence.

McIntyre

Established Member

thegame24 said:
Ive never seen two teams luckier than man u and liverpool ever.

The sad thing is, their fans will never recognise that fact. They just waltz along blithely believing they deserved to win.

I mean, take Liverpool, they've been outplayed in both their Premiership outings so far yet won with a fair bit of luck, and over the two legs they deserved to lose to Standard Liege but scrape through thanks to the one moment Liege forget to defend.

I still haven't heard ANY recriminations for the luck with which they scraped past us in the Champions League last season.

I'd be able to stomach these injustices if the fans, and especially if the managers, had the guts to admit they were dealt a good hand. But it happens time and time again to certain teams and not once will you see them looking sheepish, embarrassed at having stolen something from under the noses of those that deserved it.

I guess people will argue that, if they've won it, they deserve it. I can't believe that's what the players and manager are saying behind closed doors though, they're probably thanking their lucky stars! And just for once I'd like to hear someone from one of these teams admit that they've got a bit lucky. Just once!

Pádraig

irishgunnerz said:
Pádraig said:

We won 4-0 , what did you expect? For once they killed off a team albeit even while playing in third gear but what did you hope for? An 8-0? So they took foot off the pedal. Personally I'm happy see them play badly yet win comfortably. United manage do it, Chelsea are masters at it - and its something we've struggled to do.

The opposition were brutal to say the least.

Don Pacifico

Established Member

Good result, better performance but we will face tougher opposition both in Europe and in the Premiership.

I didn't feel that there were any standout weak performances today. We looked far stronger in the middle of the park with Fabregas providing the attacking initiative rather than Denilson and subsequently, I think Denilson himself had a far more composed game. Clearly, Eboue doesn't breed confidence amongst his teammates when he plays centrally and after his entirely anonymous performance against Fulham, it isn't surprising. Anyway, no point dwelling on criticising a player, when everyone else feels the same.

I think there is potential in this Fab-Denilson partnership. My instant reaction after hearing Arsène's press conference on Saturday where he implied that the performance didn't prompt a transfer was one of irritation and amazement. But assessing it, he may be right and today's performance went some way to trying to provide evidence to Le Boss' claim. The roles were more defined today for our central midfield partnership and I think that made all the difference. We all knew, even after Fulham, that Denilson wasn't a bad player. His problem in that game was knowing his role and with Eboue not providing any sort of support (defensively or offensively), Denilson was caught in two minds as to what his primary role was. With Fabregas, Denilson was able to sit deep in the midfield where he is comfortable, rather than be relied upon for an attacking/creative influence. It was interesting to see however, that when Song came on, our midfield reverted to what they did the whole game against Fulham, and directed all their play down the wings, which in my mind just doesn't provide dividends as we don't have the best strikers (with the possible exception of Eduardo) at dealing with crosses.

Nasri yet again played well, but this time it was more noticeable as those around him also played better. Bendtner was disapointing largely but also to me showed signs that he can still make a lot of progress; the thought process was there but his touch (and response times) often let him down. Room for improvement certainly. Theo looked good but could still work on his decision making. Hansen was wrong about him having no composure (as proved by his goal) but with Theo, I think a lot of it is about confidence. RVP had glimpses of quality but still doesn't seem match fit and I think I would be correct in thinking that he has been taken of early in every match he has started this season, which perhaps backs up this point.

Overall, positive display. There were some hints that we may be able to survive without another midfielder, although I would worry about who replaces Fabregas if Arsène is so unwilling to put Nasri there. This may be sorted out when Rosicky is fit (if ever) as it will provide more backup. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I wouldn't panic if we didn't sign another midfielder. At the same time though, as I said, we will face sterner opposition.

Noted

Apparently Samir had a stomach bug "during the game" according to Wenger. If he was sick at half time surely he shouldn't have played from the start.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member

Pádraig said:

Agreed. A good result, no doubt, but not a promising performance. Twente, tried hard, but lets face it, they're a **** team. We wouldn't have gotten away with a win like that against a PL side. Lets just hope our players step up for our next game, because if not we could be looking at a repeat of Saturday's game.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Noted said:
Apparently Samir had a stomach bug "during the game" according to Wenger. If he was sick at half time surely he shouldn't have played from the start.

Maybe he just said he was fine enough to play but it got worse. Takes more than feeling a bit sick to keep someone hungry to play out, but obviously all that energy burning took its toll on him.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Mckenna said:
AnthonyG said:
So now that we are through, Wenger can spend the cash now right?
Ant, I'm genuinely sorry. No. He won't. That performance will convince Wenger there's absolutely nothing he needs to do. It's not about the money, he had that before, he just has a bigger pile now. He just doesn't want to sign anyone.
I know you are probably right Mckenna, I really do. Oh well, I'm right soused now so I'll deal with it later I guess.

banduan

Established Member

Maybe he just desperately needed to take a dump

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom