• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Sparta Prague vs Arsenal | 18/10/05

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 378
  • Views 12,796

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
yoinkster said:
I didn't think pires was that bad at all, in fact I thought he played quite well.

:lol:
other than the assist, he did absolutely nothing.

There we go again!!! Don't know what game u were watching but he did o.k in otherwise poor performance from the entire team but am sure u so fixated on him..u wouldn't see anyone else in arsenal jersey who performed poorly. Keep it up.

Legend#1

Established Member
Toure was absolutely brilliant.. as was Lauren imo.

Toure's pace is unbelievable.. He has all the capabilities of becoming a world class CB imo.. he's cut out the silly fouls and his positioning is getting better and better.. even when he's out of position.. his pace is so good he gets back.. He saved Cygan and Clichy on numerous occasions.. Clichy had a shocker.. he'll get better with games.

Pires was much better imo.. He roamed the midfield, kept possession well and what a through ball to Thierry.

Cesc was also brilliant.. done his job very well out of position, Flamini impressed me on occasion and then unimpressed me, up and down game.. hustled and harried.. Gilberto was Gilberto.

kel varnsen

Established Member
Mbaki Mutahaba said:
kel varnsen said:
yoinkster said:
I didn't think pires was that bad at all, in fact I thought he played quite well.

:lol:
other than the assist, he did absolutely nothing.

There we go again!!! Don't know what game u were watching but he did o.k in otherwise poor performance from the entire team but am sure u so fixated on him..u wouldn't see anyone else in arsenal jersey who performed poorly. Keep it up.

1.watch the text language...

2.pires was sh*te once again.

3.clichy and van persie were both sh*te as well...

kel varnsen

Established Member
Legend#1 said:
Toure's pace is unbelievable.. He has all the capabilities of becoming a world class CB imo.. he's cut out the silly fouls and his positioning is getting better and better.. even when he's out of position.. his pace is so good he gets back.. He saved Cygan and Clichy on numerous occasions.. Clichy had a shocker.. he'll get better with games.

toure nearly made a huge mistake though. almost gave the ball away inside the box, but cygan made a good interception and saved toure...

Army of Me

Established Member
good result, but overall an average performance. as has already been mentioned clichy was poor - he better improve quickly, we don't have a choice at left back, we have to play him and although i know he's talented, i saw nothing at all tonight.

van persie was also extremely poor, i forgot he was even playing for most of the match.

pires again, largely ineffective, good pass for henry's record breaker :)D) but thats about it.

toure, overlook the single mistake he made, he was our defence tonight. cygan was also quite good although he didnt really have too much to do except clean up after clichy.

all sounds pretty negative, but we ground out a result even though we were below par and thats all that really matters, and hats off to henry, we knew it was coming, but it was so sweeeeeeet!

asajoseph

Established Member
Cygan is a very clumsy guy - even when he warms up, he looks very unweildy. Today he made one or two errors, but we weren't made to pay for any of them, and Kolo had a blinder backing him up.

BUT, and this is a big but today, he also made some superb challenges. In the air he was very strong, and was in the right place at the right time fairly regularly.

jester

Established Member
oh and the first henry goal was scored by a long punt up by toure, we've added alot to our game.

Wenger14

Established Member
Well, I enjoyed the game, and it was a good result. 3 wins in 3 games, CL is looking good. Let's hope we keep up this form and grow in confidence as we approach the knockout stages. Glad to see us defending a lot more as a team and putting in more of an effort.

My ratings,

Lehman-6 Showed a bit of the erratic Lehman we came to forget, although a solid perfomance overall, had me shaking a few times.

Lauren-7 Solid, got about his business as usual.

Clichy-5 Poor perfomance by his standards, hopefully it was just nerves on the big stage, which should subside with experience.

Toure-8 Brilliant, he is going to be an incredible CB, if not already one, very solid, and saved us on quite a few occassions.

Cygan-7 Solid perfomance, justified his selection ahead of Senderos.

Fabregas-7 At times, he was good, but not completely upto standards.

Flamini-6 Solid, but gave away the ball a few times, but so did a lot of the others.

Gilberto-7 Was a good cover for the defense played well.

Pires-6 Was invisible most of the time, shouldn't be a first choice with a full squad, if he doesn't improve I can't see beyond this season, but he did show bits and pieces of the Pires we know.

RVP-5 Disappeared a lot, wasn't in the game and at one point I actually thought we were playing Henry alone upfront.

Henry-9 Brilliant perfomance, brilliant 1st goal, and a good second one. We have missed him, and good to have him back.

Reyes was off too early, Quincy on too late, and Eboue didn't quite impress but then again it's hard to impress in a short time span.

Overall it was a good perfomance, we did the job and got the 3 points.

I'm getting more optimistic about the Champions league, and if it takes horrendous luck in the EPL, to bring CL glory I'll take it as it is the only cup that keeps us being called a Great Club, and its the only item missing from Wenger's and many of our stars CV's.

Reyes off with a broken rib, was a blessing in disguise, but I hope it's not serious, we can't afford to lose a 5th first teamer to injury.

And wtf is up with Domenech? West Indies? Someone care to explain why a loon manages France?

Juve losing to Bayern 1-2? So we weren't all too bad last season, tighten up the defense, and we have a real shot at it.

patrick42uk

Established Member
if we are focuing solely on aesthetics, i dont think clumsy is the word i'd use to describe cygan. he is our best defender on the ball IMO. his lack of pace often means that his actions can be sluggish and mis-timed which i guess could pass as clumsy. but he isnt half as clumsy a calamity senderos.

on the european stage cygan rarely puts in bad performances.

asajoseph

Established Member
Hmmm...

Purely aesthetically, I'd say that 'clumsy' is pretty much the perfect word for Cygan. He's large and a little ungainly, kind of like that kid at school who's just a little bit too tall and doesn't know how to carry himself. When he runs he looks just a little awkward, and he doesn't really resemble an athlete, in my view, and this is something even more evident when you see him in the flesh, up close and personal at games.

That said, I agree with you, he IS a good defender on the ball (although I think Kolo is better, when he's not hoofing and hoping, which incidentally worked today :roll: ). Yes, he performs well on the European stage, and tonight was no exception. He was, as you put it, sluggish on occasion, and made a few minor errors, but made up for it with some great challenges, blocks and interceptions too. He had a reasonably good game tonight...

JazzG

Established Member
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Wenger took a big gamble taking a unfit Henry with him to Prague but boy did it pay off. We were in need of some inspiration and boy did he provide it, ****ing great seeing him back.

Overall I thought a solid away performance, looked tight at the back and some decent counter attacks, without Hleb and Reyes our midfield was a tad slow but overall a good nights work.

3 games, 3 wins. Top stuff, 1 more point should see us through. Good to see us being on course of having our CL qualification done and dusted within 4 games.

Wenger14

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
if we are focuing solely on aesthetics, i dont think clumsy is the word i'd use to describe cygan. he is our best defender on the ball IMO. his lack of pace often means that his actions can be sluggish and mis-timed which i guess could pass as clumsy. but he isnt half as clumsy a calamity senderos.

on the european stage cygan rarely puts in bad performances.

Cygan certainly looks more assured in Europe, and this will be down to the slower pace of the game which blankets his major weakness. I would also put down his experience to a major contributing factor.

But I beg to ask you the question, how bad really has Senderos been in Europe? I know your not a Senderos fan, but curious to know if and when he has performed badly in Europe. My short memory span limits me :wink:

Wenger14

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Hmmm...

Purely aesthetically, I'd say that 'clumsy' is pretty much the perfect word for Cygan. He's large and a little ungainly, kind of like that kid at school who's just a little bit too tall and doesn't know how to carry himself. When he runs he looks just a little awkward, and he doesn't really resemble an athlete, in my view, and this is something even more evident when you see him in the flesh, up close and personal at games.

That said, I agree with you, he IS a good defender on the ball (although I think Kolo is better, when he's not hoofing and hoping, which incidentally worked today :roll: ). Yes, he performs well on the European stage, and tonight was no exception. He was, as you put it, sluggish on occasion, and made a few minor errors, but made up for it with some great challenges, blocks and interceptions too. He had a reasonably good game tonight...

Clumsy IMO, is the perfect word to use. His major weakness being his pace directly relates to it. Cygan shows moments of a quality defender, but in an entire game you can always count on the "clumsy" mistakes.

Tegh

Established Member
I don't think it was a convincing win, If i'm going to be honest the result flattered us.

Henry's goal was great, he didn't even look where he was shooting, well taken.

After the first goal, for the rest of the first half we never really kept the ball enough, and Sparta Prague had the better and more frequent chances. Before we got the goal we were on top of them, with a large amount of posession.

Pires was abysmal in the first half, he gave the ball away way to easy, and didn't track back. With Clichy having a stinking game, you would of thought he'd of tried to help out, but alas.

In the second half Clichy looked a bit more comfortable, but not comfortable enough, but that will come with experience. Pires certainly perked up in the second half, and played a lovely ball for Henry's goal. Apart from that he wasn't involved in much, and he was switched to the centre, where he was more effective than on the wing. However, he still wasn't anything special, and it's his best game this season, but that's not saying much. Hopefully now this will spur him on, and he'll start putting in better performances.

We won by two goals, and that's good, we didn't concede, so that's a bonus and a boost. Maximum points from our Champions League matches is excellent, we needed a win tonight, and it'll hopefully boost team spirit ahead of our match on Sunday.

Reyes getting injured is a major blow, I hope Henry feels alright after tonight, he wasn't 100%, and I hope he hasn't aggrivated anything.

Good job boys, and congratulations to Henry.

Wrighty, you're a legend!

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom