• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Thun vs Arsenal | 22/11/05

sabret00the

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Reyes will never be good enough for some people, because he is our record signing. Every little thing he does wrong is highlighted, because we paid a lot of money for him. I'm sick and tired of it to be honest.
We paid that price because he is one of the most talented players in the world, and one of the most complete attackers around. Everyone is different, everyone takes their own specific time to fulfill his potential. If Reyes takes 3 full seasons, then that's fine by me. Ruud van Nistelrooy at 22 was still playing for Heerenveen, Zidane at 24 still for Bordeaux.
Reyes is in a stage of slow progress at the moment, and the last thing he needs is people *****ing about every average performance he has. If anything he needs encouragement.
But I guess this will never stop. Some people decided Reyes is crap a year ago, so every time he doesn't play like Thierry Henry, it's 'see I told you he's crap' all over again.

funnily enough while i think reyes gets undue stick on this site, he always gets overhyped as ****ed by a few core members.

the fact of the matter is and this is a FACT not everyone fulfills their potential, or lives up to their own hype by set by their raw talent. and not everyone will be able to adapt to every game and/or league.

i think reyes has done a fine job but it's like you all forget these simple facts, if reyes never improved and kept providing pace and assists i'd be fine and it's a real possibility but if he does improve and just back on the road to unbeleivable then we're all better off.

but everyone judge him based on what he's doing; not what he's done, not what he can do but what he's doing then we're likely to see a lot less of these pointless debates.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:
Why does Reyes attract all these little numpty groupies?

Last night summed him up - what did he actually do?????

Go download the game and rewatch it.

I'd rather not thanks, it was terrible.

Reyes had an average game, as he has been all season.

Okay, let's have a look at what he was involved with, of note, in the first half. This is all on top of his defensive duties that I think he coped rather well with:

5th minute - lovely ball to Henry. Does nothing with it.
9th minute - inch perfect 40 metre ball to an onside Van P. Ruled offside.
12th minute - brilliant one touch clear goal scoring op pass to Henry. Does nothing with it.
15th minute - dribbles past two in the midfield. Gets fouled.
17th minute - another (almost) inch perfect cross field ball to the edge of the box.
19th minute - quickly taken free kick to put Van P in. Shot saved

In fact, I can't be bothered to go on.

Now I make that a goal threatening opportunity every few minutes just from the first 20. Not bad.

If you can't see it then bully for you.

Oh dear, get a life mate!

I dont know what it is about this site that so many people have the opinion that Reyes is such a brilliant player, when he obviously isnt.

90% of people I go to games with, sit with at games, meet in pubs, meet at games are disappointed with Reyes, and rightly so.

Messi for Barca the other night is a player with a unique talent, as is Rooney. They effect games and make a difference.

Games pass Jose by. He is weak, and simply not very clever.

He came hyped a some wonderkid, and has not lived up to expectations. You just cannot disagree with that.

He has been here three years now, and I cant think of a game that he has dominated and been unplayable. With his supposed ability you would have expected him to have done this by now, no?

kel varnsen

Established Member
sabret00the said:
but everyone judge him based on what he's doing; not what he's done, not what he can do but what he's doing then we're likely to see a lot less of these pointless debates.

you(!!!) want to see less 'pointless debates'...?
:lol:

seb_afc

Established Member
well that was a bit of a waste of money going to watch that game. we were absolute ****! the players especially henry looked like they couldnt give a **** about the game. now many of you will say yeah but we are already qualified whats the point of playing 100 per cent well bollocks to that. whenever you pull on the yellow or red shirt of arsenal players should be giving 100 per cent and i personally didnt see that yesterday. the players couldnt even be bothered to come over and applaud the travelling fans sitting there at -2 freezing our bollocks off. oh well at least we won, that made it a bit better.

kel varnsen

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:

Okay, let's have a look at what he was involved with, of note, in the first half. This is all on top of his defensive duties that I think he coped rather well with:

12th minute - brilliant one touch clear goal scoring op pass to Henry. Does nothing with it.
17th minute - another (almost) inch perfect cross field ball to the edge of the box.

Now I make that a goal threatening opportunity every few minutes just from the first 20. Not bad.

I dont know what it is about this site that so many people have the opinion that Reyes is such a brilliant player, when he obviously isnt.

90% of people I go to games with, sit with at games, meet in pubs, meet at games are disappointed with Reyes, and rightly so.

He has been here three years now, and I cant think of a game that he has dominated and been unplayable. With his supposed ability you would have expected him to have done this by now, no?

first of all, most people who go to matches, like most others/fans, don't have a clue. no difference there. second, your long term memory is seriously messed up. reyes was absolutely brilliant at home to fulham this year and very good in other matches. you mention rooney and messi like they dominate every single match, yet reyes' stats are better than both said players'.

the thing is, i suspect, you only pick up on the brilliant performances of the likes of messi, rooney, robben etc etc and think they play like that week in week out. guess what, they don't. i've seen almost every man u game this year and rooney has been mediocre in a lot of them.

Killer7

RockyRocastle said:

I think I can spare 10 minutes ;)

You asked what he did. There you have it, in my eyes.

Now you're being silly, don't think even the most die-hard Reyes fan here has compared him to either of those two. They just get fed up with the numpties who say he's average and nothing more.

seb_afc

Established Member
Reyes is a good player no doubt and causes any defence a problem just that last night he played like ****...but then again so did the whole team, especially :evil: cygan :evil:

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
When Reyes tries to go it alone..you ***** when he releases the ball to our sometimes lazy strikers, midfielders you *****. What the f* do you guys want the boy to do? When he plays LM you ***** he is not scoring..when he is upfront you scream he tries to go it alone too much? And all this is because u only care about the final result ( A GOAL). Only when his pass results in a goal do you give him credit. I watched the game yesterday twice(well the first half anyway) and he kept on just putting our strikers in good position to do something with the ball. Lets not debate his potential..lets just look at yesterday. What else was he supposed to do to satisify the critics that he was one of the better players?

sabret00the

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
sabret00the said:

you(!!!) want to see less 'pointless debates'...?
:lol:
i enjoy pointless but real debates, reyes ones are tried and tested and thus more than meaningless.

ps. i did see that the comment was to be taken lightly so don't think i misread that and my comments are in turn supposed to be taken lightly.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Reyes isnt a bad player, he's just not world class - get over it.

One thing that did annoy me was him feigning injury to try an escape his yellow card.

JazzG

Established Member
Sure did get lucky in this match with some decisions, would rather use this luck further on in the competition rather than at this stage!

ccc

Lord Dula said:
One thing that did annoy me was him feigning injury to try an escape his yellow card.
too harsh! what do you think about robin's diving? actually, how could you know him feigning injury? and do you think he should be booked for that foul? it was just a regular block and not dangerous to opponent, neither last player tackle, why should he be booked for that?

apart from that, I've already tired on the weekly comparison between robin and reyes. they are different players playing at different position. both doing well in his own position. robin is more dreadful as forward while reyes is better at defending as LM, i'm delight that AW finally found the best position for them respectively. focusing on Thun game, reyes delivered several good passes, but robin, playing up front, caught fans' eyes easilier ( so to lineman :wink: )

Zico

Established Member
The truth about Reyes is that he gave us a punch in the first few weeks of the season, and that was especially useful when we were suffering from injurie. Reyes has talent, speed, energy and enthusiasm to spare. That is plain to see. He can outrun the fastest defenders (though he doesn't usually do a standing start, preferring to run at his opponent), and sends the best cross-field balls since GoldenBallz. The talent is plain to see.

But what is also plain to see is the number of broken moves invloving Reyes and the other forwards. Too often he'll release the ball at the wrong time, fail to time a one-two move. When face to face with a defender, he'll often try to run through them and even goes for nutmegs when defenders' legs aren't that wide open. It's not the talent, it's the decision-making, and the awareness of other players. Not to compare apples to oranges - but a player with football intelligence and awareness is able to complete passes like v Persie's recent flick to Lauren on the right flank (Sunderland), or Henry's no look pass to Fabregas over the weekend. Those moves take skill but more importantly they demand positional awareness and the ability to predict how the different players around you will behave in the next second.

In a situation where we are easily able to bring in other world class players I don't think I have a problem letting the boy grow and seeing if he will acquire football intelligence. But if we need money to strengthen the squad I wouldn't mind letting him go because he is a saleable asset. He might flourish elsewhere, and I'd be happy for him if he did, just as a old Dutch man Feyernoord fan I had a meeting with yesterday remarked that he was happier for v Persie now that he is beginning to find himself in England.

Zico

Established Member
Oh, and by the way, Reyes has been our best player over multiple games, but over the season if you are looking for the most influential players in terms of their performance and impact on games you'd have to go with Henry and Fabregas. I will admit though that Henry was a liability on Tuesday.

tgr

Reyes started very well last season but almost dispeared after MU game.Reyes is pretty good so far this season but he need a stable season to beat critics IMO .

tgr

MK5 said:
PolishGooner said:
What is wrong with Wenger? he says he got a faith in youths but even when we have a promotion in hand, he selects Henry, Ljungberg and Pires. Where were Lupoli, Quincy and Bendtner?

They'll probably play against Ajax instead.

Yes.

The away game to Newcastle follows Ajax and then the home game to Clelsea. Young players have a good chance of playing Ajax. They will also play Reading.

Gurgen

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:

first of all, most people who go to matches, like most others/fans, don't have a clue. no difference there. second, your long term memory is seriously messed up. reyes was absolutely brilliant at home to fulham this year and very good in other matches. you mention rooney and messi like they dominate every single match, yet reyes' stats are better than both said players'.

the thing is, i suspect, you only pick up on the brilliant performances of the likes of messi, rooney, robben etc etc and think they play like that week in week out. guess what, they don't. i've seen almost every man u game this year and rooney has been mediocre in a lot of them.

Plus Messi and Rooney have the luxury of playing in their natural position week in week out (well Messi only lately).
Reyes is completely wasted at left wing, he is a playmaker forward.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I think to say Reyes has contributed little to nothing is a ridiculous statement to make Rocky. We haven't paid anywhere near £20m for him either and nor has he been at the club three years.

I think we would all want a little more from him, particularly goals, but as others have pointed out expecting him to put in superstar performances every week is unrealistic. Rooney- talented as he clearly is- has done not very much at all this season, particularly recently so it seems very harsh to use that stick to beat him with.

Reyes could certainly do better, but he ain't as bad as you think he is.

sabret00the

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Plus Messi and Rooney have the luxury of playing in their natural position week in week out (well Messi only lately).
Reyes is completely wasted at left wing, he is a playmaker forward.
if the dude is even half of what kel thinks he is then he'll be an immense left winger some day but in this day and age the luxury of a play maker taking up a front slot just isn't one we can afford.

Gurgen

Established Member
I know that, and I'm not suggesting Reyes should replace RvP. I think maybe Wenger should change our system, maybe a diamond in midfield like Milan? Right now we don't have the players to play 4-4-2 classic English style. It is my humble opinion that the system should be twinked with to suit the players you have.

Something like this:

Jens
Lauren Kolo Sol Cash
Gilberto
Cesc Hleb
Reyes
RvP Henry

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom