• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL: Thun vs Arsenal | 22/11/05

RockyRocastle

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:
Killer7 said:
RockyRocastle said:
Why does Reyes attract all these little numpty groupies?

Last night summed him up - what did he actually do?????

Go download the game and rewatch it.

I'd rather not thanks, it was terrible.

Reyes had an average game, as he has been all season.

Okay, let's have a look at what he was involved with, of note, in the first half. This is all on top of his defensive duties that I think he coped rather well with:

5th minute - lovely ball to Henry. Does nothing with it.
9th minute - inch perfect 40 metre ball to an onside Van P. Ruled offside.
12th minute - brilliant one touch clear goal scoring op pass to Henry. Does nothing with it.
15th minute - dribbles past two in the midfield. Gets fouled.
17th minute - another (almost) inch perfect cross field ball to the edge of the box.
19th minute - quickly taken free kick to put Van P in. Shot saved

In fact, I can't be bothered to go on.

Now I make that a goal threatening opportunity every few minutes just from the first 20. Not bad.

If you can't see it then bully for you.

Oh dear, get a life mate!

I dont know what it is about this site that so many people have the opinion that Reyes is such a brilliant player, when he obviously isnt.

90% of people I go to games with, sit with at games, meet in pubs, meet at games are disappointed with Reyes, and rightly so.

He has been here three years now, and I cant think of a game that he has dominated and been unplayable. With his supposed ability you would have expected him to have done this by now, no?

first of all, most people who go to matches, like most others/fans, don't have a clue. no difference there. second, your long term memory is seriously messed up. reyes was absolutely brilliant at home to fulham this year and very good in other matches. you mention rooney and messi like they dominate every single match, yet reyes' stats are better than both said players'.

the thing is, i suspect, you only pick up on the brilliant performances of the likes of messi, rooney, robben etc etc and think they play like that week in week out. guess what, they don't. i've seen almost every man u game this year and rooney has been mediocre in a lot of them.

You really are a tedious, boring individual.

I can only hope to one day understand the complexities of the game of football as well as you do. I bow down to your complete knowledge, oh great one. Seen as I am so clueless I must stop going to games and to the pub and spend more time alone in my room on a computer wanking off to championship manager.

I mean, the performances put in by Reyes against Boro, West Ham, Brum, WBA, Thun, Sunderland and especially Sp**s appeared to a layman such as myself as not particulary good, and in fact verging on inept in some cases. But he is 'arguably' our best player this season, so he must have done something.

His 'unique' talents must have meant that he tore their defence to pieces time and time again whilst my abiding memory of him in most of these games is him sat on his arse, losing the ball, running into defenders and Henry and Cesc having a go at him for a combination of all three.

Look, in all seriousness I dont dislike Reyes, far from it. I want him to do well and I would love to be proved wrong. He has shown flashes of the ability that he does have, but as yet he has not produced on a consistent basis for us. You cannot deny this. I dont expect him to be a world beater week in week out, but I do expect a lot more from him.

KingReyes

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Look, in all seriousness I dont dislike Reyes, far from it. I want him to do well and I would love to be proved wrong. He has shown flashes of the ability that he does have, but as yet he has not produced on a consistent basis for us. You cannot deny this. I dont expect him to be a world beater week in week out, but I do expect a lot more from him.

This sums it up perfectly, Reyes has shown what he's capable of but he needs to show it on a regular basis. There is no point in talking about his running up down the wing thing and trying hard because in that case Peter Crouch would be world class.

As mentioned the kid looks the gooda, his price tag does not help because the expectations are higher. I still have faith in him to come good but eventually if he can't produce then that faith will decrease with time.

RockyRocastle said:
I can only hope to one day understand the complexities of the game of football as well as you do. I bow down to your complete knowledge, oh great one. Seen as I am so clueless I must stop going to games and to the pub and spend more time alone in my room on a computer wanking off to championship manager

:lol: :lol:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

RockyRocastle said:
He has been here three years now, and I cant think of a game that he has dominated and been unplayable. With his supposed ability you would have expected him to have done this by now, no?

Has been here less than two years.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

sabret00the said:
Gurgen said:
Reyes will never be good enough for some people, because he is our record signing. Every little thing he does wrong is highlighted, because we paid a lot of money for him. I'm sick and tired of it to be honest.
We paid that price because he is one of the most talented players in the world, and one of the most complete attackers around. Everyone is different, everyone takes their own specific time to fulfill his potential. If Reyes takes 3 full seasons, then that's fine by me. Ruud van Nistelrooy at 22 was still playing for Heerenveen, Zidane at 24 still for Bordeaux.
Reyes is in a stage of slow progress at the moment, and the last thing he needs is people *****ing about every average performance he has. If anything he needs encouragement.
But I guess this will never stop. Some people decided Reyes is crap a year ago, so every time he doesn't play like Thierry Henry, it's 'see I told you he's crap' all over again.

funnily enough while i think reyes gets undue stick on this site, he always gets overhyped as f*d by a few core members.

the fact of the matter is and this is a FACT not everyone fulfills their potential, or lives up to their own hype by set by their raw talent. and not everyone will be able to adapt to every game and/or league.

i think reyes has done a fine job but it's like you all forget these simple facts, if reyes never improved and kept providing pace and assists i'd be fine and it's a real possibility but if he does improve and just back on the road to unbeleivable then we're all better off.

but everyone judge him based on what he's doing; not what he's done, not what he can do but what he's doing then we're likely to see a lot less of these pointless debates.

Absolutely spot on Sabre, if you take away the prejudices, price tag and the crazy hype surrounding him when he first came he is a very decent footballer. Football is 50% mental and Reyes is still learning his craft . I don't think that you can compare his development to to that of C.ronaldo and Rooney as they are aided by very mature physiques and can hold of players if they get in trouble. He also looked lot better playing 2nd striker behind Van Persie.

qs

Established Member
RockyRocastle, if you're going to judge Reyes on that game then you'd have to say he's better than most of the rest of the team cos most of them were ****e. Not one of them did anything special. It was a **** match, the team were **** together. It was Reyes worst game of the season but he was still better than half the players out there for us.

Wenger14

Established Member
Reyes has not live upto his hype, True.

But really, how many player out there would have lived upto the hype he had? A few, and even if they had initially done so, a career of living upto it would have been a tad too much.

However, he has shown he is a very capable player, and no more so than this season. He needs to be settled into one position, given play time and he will improve.

On this season alone I couldn't have asked for anything more from him, he has been one of our better player, ffs he is one of the top on the list of assist makers in the CL.

I'll leave the criticism of him until the end of the season, if he has had a poor one, then by all means, criticise him, but I expect that not to be the case.

On the Thun game, he could have played better, but then again everyone could have.

Rohit

Established Member
Reyes has done well this season,hes not been exceptional but has'nt been bad either.No one will question his talent and potential for sure because he has bags of it.Sadly he has'nt been able to exploit it to the maximum.

I personally feel he can do wonders if his confidence is high,which does'nt seemto be the case at the moment.Staying in India I would'nt know,but on T.V it seems like his name is not sung nor does the crowd get behind his back till he scores or does something exceptional.The crowd should really get behind his back,sing his name and encourage him and we'll probably see a different player,atleast in my opinion.

During the community shield last season when he ran circles around Man Utd defenders Martin Tyler spoke about a chat he had with Reyes in which he asked him what do you want this season and he replied "I want to play each and every second of each and every game Arsenal play this season and help them win".

His committment cannot be doubted for his work rate is commendable,he breaks up so many plays tracking back on the left flank,runs to the right flank to break up a counter attack,tracks back down the middle,things that other players are expected to do.

I just wish he gets his belief back,thats probably the right word because may be he does'nt believe in his own ability as much as he did when he came.

Come on all those who go to Highbury get behind his back,he can be special and with our frontline of Reyes,Henr,RVP,Ljungberg/Hleb and Fabregas creating from midfieldwecan really do wonders.Just my opinion.

Cheers !!!

RockyRocastle

Established Member
celestis said:
sabret00the said:
Gurgen said:
Reyes will never be good enough for some people, because he is our record signing. Every little thing he does wrong is highlighted, because we paid a lot of money for him. I'm sick and tired of it to be honest.
We paid that price because he is one of the most talented players in the world, and one of the most complete attackers around. Everyone is different, everyone takes their own specific time to fulfill his potential. If Reyes takes 3 full seasons, then that's fine by me. Ruud van Nistelrooy at 22 was still playing for Heerenveen, Zidane at 24 still for Bordeaux.
Reyes is in a stage of slow progress at the moment, and the last thing he needs is people *****ing about every average performance he has. If anything he needs encouragement.
But I guess this will never stop. Some people decided Reyes is crap a year ago, so every time he doesn't play like Thierry Henry, it's 'see I told you he's crap' all over again.

funnily enough while i think reyes gets undue stick on this site, he always gets overhyped as f*d by a few core members.

the fact of the matter is and this is a FACT not everyone fulfills their potential, or lives up to their own hype by set by their raw talent. and not everyone will be able to adapt to every game and/or league.

i think reyes has done a fine job but it's like you all forget these simple facts, if reyes never improved and kept providing pace and assists i'd be fine and it's a real possibility but if he does improve and just back on the road to unbeleivable then we're all better off.

but everyone judge him based on what he's doing; not what he's done, not what he can do but what he's doing then we're likely to see a lot less of these pointless debates.

Absolutely spot on Sabre, if you take away the prejudices, price tag and the crazy hype surrounding him when he first came he is a very decent footballer. Football is 50% mental and Reyes is still learning his craft . I don't think that you can compare his development to to that of C.ronaldo and Rooney as they are aided by very mature physiques and can hold of players if they get in trouble. He also looked lot better playing 2nd striker behind Van Persie.

Yes, he may be a very decent footballer but this whole argument started by some numpty saying he has been arguably our best player this season - which is obvously total, utter and complete nonsense.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Understood Rocky , In the end Arsène is the best judge of what Reyes is supposed to be after all, he bought him! :)

sabret00the

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:
Yes, he may be a very decent footballer but this whole argument started by some numpty saying he has been arguably our best player this season - which is obvously total, utter and complete nonsense.
the man of the match polls and man of the month polls state otherwise.

hellolo

I think since the whole madrid phone prank saga people have been less supportive of reyes and the endless reyes v van persie debate is doing him no good as well
in general he's played well this season, not as well as the start to last season but way better than how he played the rest of last season
i personally don't think toure has been as good or consistent as people say but meh thats my opinion
i think the Jens has been the only one that's been more consistent than jose

Wenger14

Established Member
RockyRocastle said:

Arguably, he most certainly has been our best player. Not sure on this, but anyone with time, should check it out, but think he has the most MOTM awards for us this season, and definitely most assists in the CL for us.

Arguably, anyone could be our best player.

But the Reyes argument does come with solid backing.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom