David Luiz: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by American_Gooner, Aug 8, 2019.

1. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Established Member

So is it Don Raul or Fat Raul? I can't keep track.

Trofton, American_Gooner and lomekian like this.
  2. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

Emery was sacked during the time Xhaka was out of the team, which was our worst period of the season. But of course an Emery lover like yourself does everything to protect your master by making stuff up.

Trofton and Taneruit like this.
  3. roz

roz Well-Known Member

say yes and American_Gooner like this.
  4. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

It's neither. Some clever agent has done us up like a kipper. Is Kia agent for all three?

5. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Good game from Luiz. Things got tricky since he went off. What’s the injury news?

6. say yes

say yes To Sweet Soulful House Music

I know his errors on the pitch drive us all crazy, but he’s the kind of character we’ve needed at the club for ages.

7. Manberg

Manberg Predator

I think Luiz is our best centreback. People have let that awful performance against Man City cloud their judgement. Luiz has generally been solid this season.

Oxeki and Riou like this.
  8. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

I dunno man.

He can be good at times but him giving away a goal or penalty in a tense match is kinda guaranteed.

I wouldn’t start him against Sp**s for example, but Norwich, yeah why not. I said from summer it was an odd signing to begin with considering the guys we’ve skipped (Cahill, Evans).

Trofton likes this.
  9. Troopz

Troopz Well-Known Member

If that’s our best CB then we’re in deep trouble.

He’s given away 4 penalties (Liverpool, Watford, Chelsea and City) and received 2 early red cards which ultimately cost us those games. If it was a youngster, I would’ve had some more patience but he’s meant to be an experienced member of our squad ffs.

Good distribution and fancy passing for a defender is great but it’s pointless if the defender doesn’t know the basics and constantly has brainfart moments.

Trofton likes this.
  10. Manberg

Manberg Predator

The Chelsea moments was down to covering for Mustafi. I forgot what happened against Liverpool and Watford I've a short memory. I recall Luiz being solid defensively in the majority of the games throughout the season, making clearances, interceptions, putting in tackles... doing what a CB should be doing etc.
    I'm sure you can find videos of Luiz's positive moments this season on youtube and there are plenty. Far more positive moments than negative ones.
    Also, he was man of the match when we beat Man Utd.

TheIceman85 likes this.
  11. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member

Lol his actions have literally deleted points off the board. I remember close to a handful of times where he’s lost points all by himself.
    I like him but nah let’s call a spade a spade, he’s a good bloke who thankfully gets what playing for the club is about, but unfortunately he’s kinda sh*t.
    We’re just a victim of circumstance on this one and we have to take what we can get hence why he’s here and got an extension.

Trofton likes this.
  12. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

He seems a nice guy and is a good mentor to the youngsters. We're stuck with him for a year and I can only hope it's one that memorable for the right reasons.

Trofton likes this.
  13. say yes

say yes To Sweet Soulful House Music

I half agree with this.

He’s probably our best CB, and in the right setup he’s capable of being brilliant, but he has still made far too many errors this season.

My worry with Luiz is that he seems to really struggle playing with a high line, which is what Arteta wants to play here. His best football has all come playing in a deep block, where he can defend aggressively without being caught out by pace in-behind.

With that in mind I’m somewhat surprised we’ve renewed him. Suppose we’ve just got to hope the undoubted benefits he brings to the squad (character, leadership, and that incredible passing ability from the back) outweigh the errors next season more than they have done this time around.

14. Manberg

Manberg Predator

That's the issue we fans have. We sometimes remember the negative but forget the positive. What about the points he possibly won through vital blocks, tackles and interceptions that go unnoticed?

15. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

Like I’ve always said with Luiz, every now and then he pulls out a peak Lucio type display out of nowhere. He did it for us against Yanited earlier in the season when we spanked them 2-0. He did it against us for Chelski in the EL final.

David, give us more Lucio.

say yes and African Flair like this.
  16. Trofton

Trofton Active Member

Fingers crossed

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  17. Trofton

Trofton Active Member

You’d think our Central Defence consisting of CL winner PL Winner & A World Cup winner would be class though wouldn’t you

18. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

Came back well from a bad start.

He's so important to the way Arteta wants us to play

19. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Was the most progressive player on the field - passed extremely well from the back. Still needs a bit of protection because when isolated he makes really stupid decisions, but in the unit today he was solid. Part of an excellent collective performance. If he can build on that, then good.

krackpot, Mrs Bergkamp and Aevi like this.
  20. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Tier 1 Height

Our glue.