• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL | Fulham vs Arsenal | 24/08/13 | 12:45 PM

and1rew

mavelous said:
arguable. adebayor had a great season numbers wise, but i'd say walcott's close to that level. same situation - a player not visibly youtstanding in any way, but gets the job done and puts up end product. i'd say actually, that theo's goals are more important than ade beating up teams 7-0. rvp was injured half the time. edu as a backup was great tho, until injury. i'd say podolski in that backup role isn't too shabby, different types but you get my drift, he's deadly when provided a chance to score.

we still don't have a fabregas so yes, that midfield that included hleb was tasty. i'd actually say that our defence is better these days, what with arteta and mertesacker adding maturity and calmness, as well as depth in LB/CB

If you're making the same point as Chappers, OK. But as is this team is not even in the same class as the 07-08 team.

and1rew

Chappers said:
A midfield of Arteta-Ramsey-Cazorla and an attacking three of Di Maria-striker-Walcott is very strong and certainly comparable to the 07/08 team IMO. The bench would also be stronger with all the options available. I think we'd be stronger defensively because we could invite pressure and play on the counter, something the 07/08 team couldn't do.

We are more tactically flexible now than back then. I think that team relied too heavily on Fabregas and Flamini playing every game. I think the 07/08 team performed admirably and did more than was expected but they didn't last and I think this team with these signings would have more options to rotate without losing as much in quality.

Pipe dream.

Chappers

and1rew said:
Chappers said:
A midfield of Arteta-Ramsey-Cazorla and an attacking three of Di Maria-striker-Walcott is very strong and certainly comparable to the 07/08 team IMO. The bench would also be stronger with all the options available. I think we'd be stronger defensively because we could invite pressure and play on the counter, something the 07/08 team couldn't do.

We are more tactically flexible now than back then. I think that team relied too heavily on Fabregas and Flamini playing every game. I think the 07/08 team performed admirably and did more than was expected but they didn't last and I think this team with these signings would have more options to rotate without losing as much in quality.

Pipe dream.

:lol:

Great trolling mate. I'll remember to never have a serious discussion with you again.

and1rew

Chappers said:

Great trolling mate. I'll remember to never have a serious discussion with you again.

Not trolling at all. You're talking about 4 players coming in a a space of maybe 4-5 days, 2 of whom being world class most likely. It's not going to happen. You need to be more realistic mate.

In addition if it takes 4 players in your opinion to exceed the 07-08 team then you can see the gulf in quality there is between the two sides as it stands. I'll grant that if you could add any 4 players in the world of your choice you can make a top side but that goes for every side competing in Europe this year. I don't actually think there's been an Arsenal side with as glaring deficiencies for a long time.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
i only see additions there? but anyway, most of the more "patient" members have been asking for 2 starters, quite a feat if you look at those who think we need 8 new players. EIGHT NEW PLAYERS. you'd think we barely avoided relegation according to some.

Chappers

and1rew said:
Chappers said:

Not trolling at all. You're talking about 4 players coming in a a space of maybe 4-5 days, 2 of whom being world class most likely. It's not going to happen. You need to be more realistic mate.

In addition if it takes 4 players in your opinion to exceed the 07-08 team then you can see the gulf in quality there is between the two sides as it stands. I'll grant that if you could add any 4 players in the world of your choice you can make a top side but that goes for every side competing in Europe this year. I don't actually think there's been an Arsenal side with as glaring deficiencies for a long time.

You replied to this comment I made by stating the 07/08 team would be better: "Add a top class winger, Flamini and a cb/rb and we're looking quite tasty. Add a striker and this team is the best we've had in 8 years".

I never suggested we would make all of those signings only that, hypothetically, that would make this team the best we've had since moving to the Emirates. It was you who took it out of context and implied I expect it to happen.

I believe we'll try to sign one of Di Maria or Benzema (he's apparently intent on staying) and that will be our marquee signing if we pull it off. Other positions I won't even speculate. If both are available we might try to sign both or no one. We certainly have the money (again it's all hypothetical).

Anyway, I think we're both done with this particular discussion.

trunks206

Established Member
morpho said:
Lady_Gooner said:
I knew because I was going to miss the game we were going to play well!
Waheyy very happy with that :)

Second that... My curse continue ut seems. Happy with the win of course, but I'd like to witness it some time... :cry:

Please never watch Arsenal live again. Take one for the team you two! :wink:

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
:lol: count me in too then, can't afford to with my dial up anyway. although beware, might get some shoddy european satellite soon :twisted:

trunks206

Established Member
mavelous said:
:lol: count me in too then, can't afford to with my dial up anyway. although beware, might get some shoddy european satellite soon :twisted:

TyzD.jpg

I'm going to write the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation for you. Dial up internet? :lol: In 2013? :lol:

We're going to set this injustice right Mavelous, we just have to.

yuvken

Established Member
trunks206 said:
morpho said:
Lady_Gooner said:
I knew because I was going to miss the game we were going to play well!
Waheyy very happy with that :)

Second that... My curse continue ut seems. Happy with the win of course, but I'd like to witness it some time... :cry:

Please never watch Arsenal live again. Take one for the team you two! :wink:
Ha - it's the opposite case with me. You just know when I'm away and can't watch the games, we're f'd. I was actually very surprised late wednesday night, half way to nowhere, to find that we actually won.

akhil

@Chappers No way will this team be close to the 07-08 team even with a couple of additions. That midfield was epic that season until Rosicky got injured. Fabregas wasn't injury prone back then, he played 50 games regualrly. Flamini and Hleb had their best seasons in an Arsenal shirt. Rosicky was 27 as well. Sagna and Clichy were both voted into the PFA team of the year. Gallas and Toure that year were very good as well. The squad depth in certain areas is debatable. But the football we played that season was the best since the invincibles team. We were robbed in the CL against Pool that season and then Birmingham happened. That was probably the best season of Wengerball played.

Chappers

akhil said:
@Chappers No way will this team be close to the 07-08 team even with a couple of additions. That midfield was epic that season until Rosicky got injured. Fabregas wasn't injury prone back then, he played 50 games regualrly. Flamini and Hleb had their best seasons in an Arsenal shirt. Rosicky was 27 as well. Sagna and Clichy were both voted into the PFA team of the year. Gallas and Toure that year were very good as well. The squad depth in certain areas is debatable. But the football we played that season was the best since the invincibles team. We were robbed in the CL against Pool that season and then Birmingham happened. That was probably the best season of Wengerball played.

They were very good until February when the lack of squad depth started to show. There were also several squad players that were not yet good enough to come in without it showing in our performances. I liked the 07/08 team but we relied on a smaller sample of players. With Flamini, rb, Di Maria and Benzema we'd have a comparable starting eleven and more options off the bench.

GK: Szczesny-Fabianski-Martinez
RB: New rb-Sagna-Jenks
CB: Kos-Mert-Vermaelen-Sagna
LB: Gibbs-Monreal-Vermaelen
DM: Arteta-Flamini-Ramsey
CM: Ramsey-Wilshere-Diaby-Ox
AM: Cazorla-Rosicky-Wilshere
LW: Di Maria-Podolski-Cazorla
RW: Walcott-Ox-Di Maria
Striker: Benzema-Giroud-Sanogo

Apart from Sanogo every player has proved capable of coming in and doing a job. I simply think we'd have more capable squad players who can challenge for a first team spot in this squad than in 07/08 when we relied on fewer players. Basically, we'd have a slightly worse starting eleven but better options off the bench and I think we'd be able to cope better with the current team with these additions. It would be tight but I'd rather we could go the distance in multiple competitions than be forced to choose to prioritize one over the others.

In a way it was wrong of me to suggest that because we'd still need to perform on the pitch so in the end it would come down to how well our new signings would perform. It's also a moot point because I don't think we'd get both a top class winger and striker but in a what if scenario I think this team would be better that's all.

glaveror

Hey I have one question-what do people think of that moment when Berbatov elbowed Sagna right in the face?
I recall Mark Halsey who was doing some punditry for BT sports saying there is nothing to and that he didn't it even after they showed a slow motion replay which clearly shows that Berbatov saw and maybe evem aimed straight for him..conspiracy much? Now where did I put my tinfoil hat...:)

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
glaveror said:
Hey I have one question-what do people think of that moment when Berbatov elbowed Sagna right in the face?
I recall Mark Halsey who was doing some punditry for BT sports saying there is nothing to and that he didn't it even after they showed a slow motion replay which clearly shows that Berbatov saw and maybe evem aimed straight for him..conspiracy much? Now where did I put my tinfoil hat...:)

I forgot to mention this, DEFINITE INTENT. Berbatov had a look twice, to see where Sagna was and elbowed him. Heat of the moment clash IMO, because Berbatov had a foul against him on Sagna which he was perplexed by. Still, terrible thing to do, ex-Spuds and Yanited player too, ******!!!!

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Great performance, excellent result another one which was much needed but don't let that fool anyone this team is short of two possibly three top players. We have a great squad, Podolski, Giroud, Rosicky, all players Im more than happy to have in the team as they are capable but we still need top players to play ahead of them and have real squad depth

Cruisio

Established Member
Can't agree in relations to the "elbow"

Berbatov definitely looked to see where Sagna was, but at no time did he swing his arm in his direction. He jumped and raised his arms up (which you need to do, obviously) and I believe his forearm caught Sagna's face. Usually that ends up being a yellow but I can definitely see why the ref just gave the foul as you're always getting collisions like that when two players jump for the ball. Difference there was that Berbatov actually looked to see where Sagna was first (i'm guessing to see how much he needed to back in, which he's always doing)

outlaw_member

Established Member
I thought Podolski-Giroud-Walcott was easily our best front three last season, and for the life of me couldn't understand why it was changed. Walcott and Podolski scored a number of goals linking up with Giroud, and that all dried up once the German was dropped.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Good post a couple pages back Playmaker.

What you post about is indeed true, looking at teams with a far superior outlay than ours it is quite amusing and flattering that they resort to the lower table approach to gather results against us. It is truly testament to the technical level this team possesses.

However, looking at that exact tactic purely from a black and white tactical perspective, the point stands out that this works like a dream. Ultimately those exact teams above us are then able to mug as, as they have been doing for so many years. And herein lies the frustration, moreso that it is an ongoing one.

I see that Yuvken also alluded to this extra point as well.

The key difference for me yesterday is that Fulham gave us far too much space on the ball. Yes I agree they did try and press us when we were in our defensive third of the pitch and there were some scintellating movements with the ball in playing out. But beyond that, midfield specifically, Fulham made no effort to continue pressing us. And yes, I accept the reasons you explained with regards to why.

The problem is that we still cannot handle intense pressure on our players both in losing the ball and the opportunities when the ball is lost. If you look at the spaces behind the movement of the ball in midfield, you see an immediate gap to our defense, and this is what Villa punished us with.

It all comes back to Arteta's importance in our system and possibly a position that we need to have backup for. This is an emergency role in my opinion, especially when you have a slow player like Mertesacker who will be exposed once the ball is lost and there is a straight route to our defensive line.

Our system is very solid, I agree, we have an emphasis on keeping our lines straight and restricting spaces between the lines right now. I have seen that we are once again applying a 4-4-2 defensive structure when losing the ball and this is good to see, although it will take some time to master. But if we lose the ball while forward at the moment there is big trouble for us, and that for me kills all the good work we do as a unit.

In short, subsidise Arteta's influence in central midfield.

say yes

forum master baiter
outlaw_member said:
I thought Podolski-Giroud-Walcott was easily our best front three last season, and for the life of me couldn't understand why it was changed. Walcott and Podolski scored a number of goals linking up with Giroud, and that all dried up once the German was dropped.

Pretty sure it was because of Podolski's ankle injury? No other way it makes sense because that was also Podolski's strongest run of form all season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Cruisio said:
Can't agree in relations to the "elbow"

Berbatov definitely looked to see where Sagna was, but at no time did he swing his arm in his direction. He jumped and raised his arms up (which you need to do, obviously) and I believe his forearm caught Sagna's face. Usually that ends up being a yellow but I can definitely see why the ref just gave the foul as you're always getting collisions like that when two players jump for the ball. Difference there was that Berbatov actually looked to see where Sagna was first (i'm guessing to see how much he needed to back in, which he's always doing)

It was a strange one. Berba definitely looked straight at Sagna first, so he obviously knew where he was. He then goes up in a very natural fashion for the ball, and doesn't thrust his elbow out as if to intentionally cause harm.

But, from what I gather, a players defence (and also how the ref interprets whether it was intentional or not) usually relies on whether he deems that the fouler knew where the players face was when he made contact, and Berba did. It was more a lazy looking elbow, which probably swung it in Berbas favor. But he was lucky.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom