• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL - Man Utd v Arsenal - Mon. Dec. 13 | 20:00 | SS1

Humble Rex

Established Member
He certainly wasn´t. He was positioning himself in a way to be able to block an attempted cross from the guy with the most assists in the PL this season. He reacted to Nani cutting inside. He even blocked the shot!

People often accuse Clichy of being rash, not composed enough, rushing into challenges. He played Nani pretty well there.

Oh, and not once during the game were their FBs as exposed as Clichy was there, and on numerous other occasions yesterday.

Why isn´t anybody blaming Kos? He is the one who lost the initial header to Fletcher. He was out of position and should have been Clichy´s cover in that situation.

Bossa

Established Member
If you watch our game it surprises me how often our defenders are left in 1v1 situations. It baffles me why Wenger still allows Song to attack constantly. He should play with two DM and let 4 players attack which is quite enough imo.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I have to disagree with that Humble. First, Koscielny did what he supposed to do (or Arshavin or whoever), that is come across in cover. Second, Clichy initially did what he supposed to do, that is sit in behind to mop up or cover any one from the opposition who was there also.

Now this is where Clichy made his mistake - he shadowed Nani into the box without putting any pressure on him until he threw in a foot at the last, late minute. And even then Nani was allowed to be nearer the goal.

This hesitancy in Clichy's game has become one of his biggest flaws. He's become gun-shy when on a man and as a LB, especially in our system, you sometimes just have to get in there.

I don't think Clichy was horrible, but that kind of error along with his continually poor clearances are becoming an issue.

Humble Rex

Established Member
First of all, Kos didn´t HAVE to get into that situation since Jack was right there. He chose to. Secondly, I think it was pretty poor to lose that header. I mean, Fletcher?!

I still maintain that Clichy acted correctly. Once Kos had lost the header, there was no way Clichy was going to get to Nani before he had the ball under control. Since Clichy knew that Kos was out of position and he had no cover, the right decision was to be cautious. If Nani goes by him there he is through on goal.

Had Kos decided NOT to challenge Fletcher, then Clichy should have closed Nani down more aggressively, since he then would have had Kos as cover.

Listen, I don´t really blame Kos. I think it was a freak goal. Clichy is getting unwarranted abuse though, and I was simply pointing out that he didn´t really make a mistake, and that Kos didn´t really help the situation.

Bossa

Established Member
I saw the match on Dutch television and the analyst who isa respected ex-manager/footballer said that Clichy's defending on the goal was a joke.

You cant allow a player walk into the box and make a last ditch attempt to block the shot/pass.

You have to put pressure right away.

Humble Rex

Established Member
Yeah he should put pressure there IF HE HAS ANY COVER. He had none. And he had none since his supposed cover decided to lose a header to Fletcher...

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Humble Rex said:
Once Kos had lost the header, there was no way Clichy was going to get to Nani before he had the ball under control. Since Clichy knew that Kos was out of position and he had no cover, the right decision was to be cautious. If Nani goes by him there he is through on goal.
He won the header. It fell to a ManU player, can't recall who, who then passed out to Nani wide. Clichy was one of the two behind the player the ball fell too and he moved out to Nani. At that stage Nani was nowhere near the box. This is where we have to freeze-frame the action. The play before that was all fine, as is Clichy going out to Nani. But Clichy stands off and off. Go at him, we have players in the box who now are moving across along with Clichy since they now have to wait.

I'm not not beating down Clichy, just breaking down the play to where he was in position to do his part and he didn't. I mean you could start to analyse why Park got 'free' amongst three of ours and so on. Either way Clichy should have forced him to cross not invited him into the box. That's how I see it anyway. And I'm not ready to 'give up' on Clichy quite yet.

Humble Rex

Established Member
If you think Kos won the header you are off the mark Anthony. He lost it, the ball fell to Shrek who one-touched it out to Nani.

This is when Clichy goes towards Nani, with Kos 20 meters further up the field. He is all alone with acres of space for Nani.

Personally, I think Kos when running back should have provided Gael with some cover, but he opted not to. Darted off toward the center marking space.

ricky1985

Established Member
I'm in complete agreement with Ant on this. Clichy was very good in lots of what he did yesterday. Left isolated on countless occasions and he showed Nani for the one trick pony that he is. Took the ball of him time and time again. Gael was too quick and too agile for Nani - unfortunately he also managed to gift them chances with the sort of stupidity that has become all too frequent in his game.

It's extremely annoying because so much of what Gael does is absolutely top class, but those poor decisions and lapses in concentration completely undermine the huge amount of good he does.

Humble, take a look at the chance where Nani volleyed inches wide after Squillaci's poor clearing header. Clichy got beat in the air by Nani, and then just let him run off right into the heart of the box. Just ambling back completely oblivious to the danger that was developing. There are just far too many moments like that in his game.

Humble Rex

Established Member
At least we agree on that it is too early to give up on Clichy.

Going by your ratings we also seem to agree that Clichy was nowhere near as bad as some are suggesting.

mo50

Established Member
Why does Nani act like he's in labour whenever he gets hit? I've never seen a bigger ***** in my life.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
Humble Rex said:

Going by your ratings we also seem to agree that Clichy was nowhere near as bad as some are suggesting.

Clichy wasn't as bad but he was left isolated one on one several times. Blame lies in the midfield cover that should have backed him up. Arshavin or Nasri were never left to face either Raphael or Evra one on one.

dreamLord

Established Member
It's out formation Shadow. I honestly don't think Wenger tells our RW and LW to defend deep without the ball - as a 4-5-1 would. Instead we stick to the 4-3-3 with or without the ball, and hence the defensive duties lies on the midfielders - which is just stupid because it leaves acres of space in the center, draws out one of our CBs, and leaves the other without any support.

marco

Humble Rex said:

yep clichy deserves time to get things right.
he is still young and has only been at the club for 8 years and first choice left back for 4.5 years...
if i was ahsley cole or evra i would even consdier him fit enough to clean my boots

outlaw_member

Established Member
It was Wilshere's duty to offer Clichy protection, or it ought to have been. One of the benefits of using a triangle midfield is that the two deepest midfielders can cover the entire breadth of the pitch on the defensive end. Song should be protecting Sagna and Squillaci. Wilshere should be protecting Clichy and Koscielny.

Humble Rex

Established Member
In the situation at hand Wilshere could not have given support to Clichy. He had Fletcher to attend to, and since Fletcher was centrally he was in a more dangerous position.

caldeltatrojan

qs said:
caldeltatrojan said:
The save on Anderson was brilliant by Chesney, but it looked to me as though Rooney was offside when the ball was played that got him in behind then.

I thought that till I seen the replay, yet again it was Clichy playing him onside.
Fair enough qs. It looked offside for sure but I haven't seen a replay admittedly. I'll take your word for it.

caldeltatrojan

USArsenal said:
why are people (HollandGooner) saying that their forwards (i.e. Rooney?) bullied our CB's? i didnt find that to be the case at all.. they got pretty lucky with their goal, and other than that, they had a few chances, but it wasnt due to anyone being bullied.. in fact, i would say that our CB's kept Rooney pretty much quiet the whole game
I pretty much agree with your analysis here completely. In fact, I thought the whole post was spot on.

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the league at Tottenham, they came back 2-2 in the last-minute of the game, and they're celebrating - because they're happy to draw against us, obviously. And I remember saying to Mauricio Tarricco who injured himself celebrating in front of me: "Do you realise we only need a point to be Champions?" And he was utterly shocked. So I said "Yes. Now watch as we're going to celebrate on your pitch. Bye bye!"

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom