• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

European Super League

Are you in favour of the European Super League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bucephalus

While better than the initial closed shop format, but this seems pretty short-sighted from the perspective of big-but-not-giant clubs. For example, England (assuming the project goes ahead and everyone signs up) has seven clubs who by some combination of size, history, or recent form would enter a season expecting to have a chance at CL qualification. Some of Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Newcastle and Sp**s wouldn't make the cut for the first year's top 16 league. And now in order to ever get in they'd need the equivalent of a Europa League final. Presumably this would apply to big-but-not-giant clubs in other leagues, too.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Hot Wings GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones
Same as Uber, DAZN etc all these VC setups, dumping at first to put Sky and domestic leagues out of business then when you control the market they'll probably introduce pay per view matches.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

For some reason I had thought this would challenge the domestic league.

If it is just a replacement effectively for the Champions League, what are the pros and cons people see with this?

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko

If it is just a replacement effectively for the Champions League, what are the pros and cons people see with this?
I don't see any issue when you start playing bigger teams from the beginning instead of the season instead of waiting for a while to get to watch something interesting. UCL has its own limitations and the financial package offered to the teams seem to be not enough for many teams to survive against EPL.

Think about football in general. The current format as it is now only benefits EPL teams. So there is indeed a problem.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
If we join this competition then let's win it. I don't really care either way. Do you want one group of greedy bastards to profit or another group? That's really what it comes down to. The current greedy bastards have had their turn, maybe it's time for this new group to take a spin, particularly if they can provide more accessible viewership to people currently priced out by the present greedy bastards. Hell, maybe they can take a stand on player welfare as well and tighten up the refereeing. I'm not going to shed a tear for UEFA if this thing succeeds.

Bucephalus

(Assuming all clubs buy in, and we're really just talking about replacing UEFA with a new governing body).

Pros: none, unless you're particularly concerned about Real, Juve and Barca not going bankrupt.

Cons:

1. How do you decide who makes the cut for the top tier of 16 in the inaugural year? Does Arsenal get in, or does one of United or Chelsea based upon history despite being currently ****e?

2. After that, two-up, two-down creates a promotion bottleneck. Some very good teams will be stuck in the second tier, while some mediocre ones with be sucking up top tier money while aspiring to mid-table obscurity.

3. Leicester's reward for winning the PL would have been getting to play in the equivalent of the Europa Conference League, and after that need two promotions to make the top tier. That just seems . . . wrong.

4. Even more congested fixture list.

If UEFA had proposed this as their new format for European competition, I don't think anyone other than the aforementioned Spanish giants who want a bigger percentage of CL money would be in favor.

Arsenal4life14

I don't see any issue when you start playing bigger teams from the beginning instead of the season instead of waiting for a while to get to watch something interesting. UCL has its own limitations and the financial package offered to the teams seem to be not enough for many teams to survive against EPL.

Think about football in general. The current format as it is now only benefits EPL teams. So there is indeed a problem.
It has nothing to do with the format, The reason the Premier League is so far ahead is simply because it's the most watched, the most sponsored and the most diverse League in the world and arguebly the most entertaining. Years ago England werent even in the top 3 Leagues in the world.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

It has nothing to do with the format, The reason the Premier League is so far ahead is simply because it's the most watched, the most sponsored and the most diverse League in the world and arguebly the most entertaining. Years ago England werent even in the top 3 Leagues in the world.

The Premier League is ahead because its the richest league.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

Pros:
1. Better quality of football compared to the CL
2. More money in it which might help self sustained clubs compete with Man City, PSG, and other **** clubs
3.. UEFA is a dirty corrupted organisation that needs to be shut down

Cons:
1. Think we lose a bit of our football history (although it's questionable how important that is to new generations)
2. Once in, clubs will have so much money that it's gonna be impossible for others to compete with them in national leagues (again, the PL is already ****ed on that with Manchester City doing whatever they want)

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
American style revenue sharing creates the best level of sports parity, imo, but the issue with this Super League stuff is that it's ripe for just as much corruption as the current standard. If there were a way to truly enable "smaller" clubs to compete with the traditional big boys regularly then that's what the sport should be pushing toward. Unfortunately, everybody wants to put their hand in another's pockets to line their own on top of the many years of established order/history of business will make that very difficult to change over.

The PL would benefit to have clubs who have been phased out of competing due to money becoming successful, imo. The fans of those clubs deserve to feel like they have a chance every season than what we have now. Yes, even Sp**s.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom