• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations For The 2022/2023 Season

What are your expectations?

• Top 3

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Top 4

Votes: 25 17.1%
  • Top 4 + Deep cup runs

Votes: 74 50.7%
  • Top 6

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Top 6 + Deep cup runs

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • No Expectations

Votes: 7 4.8%

• Total voters

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
So you do agree that all the posts that were referencing 13 losses were telling "half the story". Fair play then.

Interestingly, if we had 13 losses and won the rest we'd have had 75 points and CL football, so an argument could be made that the draws were the problem not the losses :lol:

blrgooner

Established Member
🥱

A lot of you are boring, just can't take any sort of critcism of Mikel whatsoever just clicking on every page policing and snuffing out anything that's not praise.

Just enjoy the season man 'kin ell.
Almost as boring as you guys who go around in every thread criticizing everybody for an imagined trait of "Can`t take any criticism of Mikel" and snuffing out any praise just because you hate him?
I can see that some people are not able to enjoy the season :D.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The stat which i gave was that we have won more than 22 games only twice since 2010. The data which you have shown( which is slightly different to the data I gave) says it is 3 times. Whether it is 2 or 3 times, the point that we did win more games last season than on most other seasons holds good. Nothing you showed here changes the core point.
BTW, This is a typical outer response. This is exactly the trying hard to not give credit where it is due. I agree 13 losses is a lot and I definitely think Arteta is responsible for that. That does not take away credit for actually winning lots of games though.
Yes, stats should tell the whole picture if possible. The 2022 league wins were slightly over average for the preceding decade but the loses were well below average. That’s all that needs saying.

The 3 incoming players this season seem to have made a huge difference. Let’s just go with the journey and see how far it takes us.

A_M Iniesta

Guys we might actually win the league this year , based off euphoria i get where LV was coming from even though its a different season. We are winning it this year , lets believe it and ride the good feeling , i know we've been through alot of pain but right now we deserve good things. we should all be hopeful COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blrgooner

Established Member
Yes, stats should tell the whole picture if possible. The 2022 league wins were slightly over average for the preceding decade but the loses were well below average. That’s all that needs saying.

The 3 incoming players this season seem to have made a huge difference. Let’s just go with the journey and see how far it takes us.
True. Our average number of wins is 20.3 and average number of losses is 9.5. So 22 is closer to average than 13. . But a win is much more valuable than a draw. Due to that, the whole effect of higher number of losses gets compensated and we finished the season on par with average number of points per season in the period(2010-2021) which was 69. So yeah, stats should tell the whole picture if possible.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Interestingly, if we had 13 losses and won the rest we'd have had 75 points and CL football, so an argument could be made that the draws were the problem not the losses :lol:
We had three draws though. It's the opposite infact. If we'd drawn enough games we would have made CL.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
We had three draws though. It's the opposite infact. If we'd drawn enough games we would have made CL.

Sure, mathematically draws replacing losses gives you an extra point, obviously. But my argument was that wins replacing draws is another way of looking at it - you could still lose 13 games and have made CL last year.

Its all moot anyway because what happened, happened.

shoom

The big problem was chance creation. I actually think we ground out pretty much the maximum points-wise that we could expect playing that way. Thankfully with the new additions we seem to be improving this season.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

TLDR: Arsenal have proven almost everyone wrong post 5th 2021/22, with transfers and 22/23's start. They should continue to strengthen and make the most of these early fixtures before the real tests start. We'll know what Arsenal really are by November.

Arsenal can make hay while the sun shines but need Tielemans and Neto to usurp rivals​

Date published: Wednesday 24th August 2022 7:59 - Will Ford
Tielemans Neto

Inaction in the last transfer window cost Arsenal a place in the Champions League. They should avoid the ‘what might have been?’ question this time around.

Everything has gone incredibly well for Arsenal since the end of last season. You feared for them after failing to qualify for the Champions League. Who would they be able to sign? Would the academy graduates be lured away? Would fifth place be their ceiling with their rivals able to attract better players and spend more on them?

Arsenal are currently top of the table with the only 100% record in the Premier League, with their summer arrivals playing a huge role in their excellent start. They are now third favourites to win the title among many bookmakers. The vibes are good.

Positivity on the pitch is matched off it, as the fly-on-the-wall documentary has brought the club and the fanbase as close as they’ve been since those heady early noughties days.
Had Arsenal started poorly, the lightbulb jibes would have been rife and the speakers scene would have been clipped up and dubbed with Simon & Garfunkel’s Sound of Silence. Mikel Arteta would be the trainee teacher known to use one hare-brained method to motivate his baffled students before moving onto the next one doomed to fail.
There’s none of that. The performances and results at the start of this season instead frame ‘All or Nothing: Arsenal’ in the way the club was hoping, forcing us to remove our cynicism goggles and accept this idyllic picture of an eccentric, bright young manager, guiding a group of talented yet humble players through a ‘process’ that no-one can deny is working pretty f***ing well.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta watches on during the pre-season friendly against Nurnberg
Arteta doesn’t need a lightbulb to sit in the dark and cry. See, it would have been so easy; here’s hoping they have a bad day soon before similarly genius comedic material goes to waste.
It’s easy to get giddy after three wins in three, and many people will wait to reserve judgement until they’ve been ‘properly tested’. But they may well have collected a significant points haul before that test comes.
Arsenal now have five winnable games on the bounce, at home against Fulham, Aston Villa and Everton, and away to Manchester United and Brentford – they can make hay while the sun shines. It’s not until October that things become ‘trickier’ as they face Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City in less than three weeks, but even then, all of those games are at home.

If they continue to play as they are and can build momentum into those key Autumn fixtures, they will be confident of giving at least as good as they get in front of an Emirates crowd which will likely be baying for Big Six blood. If (and it is a big if) all of those clubs play to current form in the next two months, Arsenal will be genuine title contenders come November.

Few people, if anyone, will genuinely believe that’s a possibility with Manchester City around, and ‘winnable games’ at the start of the season of course means there’s a backlog of ‘losable games’ down the line. But again, momentum is massive in football, and it feels as though Arsenal are in a place where there’s plenty of room for belief to grow.

Given the obvious issues at Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea and the less obvious issues at Tottenham, Arsenal have suddenly got a decent claim to be City’s closest – but probably actually quite still distant – rivals for the title.

In that position of strength, Arsenal must avoid the negligence they showed in January.
They were fourth when the last winter window opened – in the box seat for Champions League qualification. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang left, they failed to replace him, ended the season fifth and are now in the Europa League. There are factors beyond their lack of a striker which contributed to their slip, but if they had managed to persuade Man City to part with Gabriel Jesus in January, they would probably now be playing in Europe’s showcase competition.

Now, with Jesus, Oleksandr Zinchenko and William Saliba, Arsenal have a first XI as good as (almost) anyone, but scratch beyond the starters and their rivals hold the advantage. Reports suggest they want Pedro Neto and Youri Tielemans before the close of the window. They’re both excellent players who may well improve the first team, will definitely improve the squad, and drastically alleviate concern that one or two key injuries could be enough to completely derail their season.

Faced with a choice in January to buoy the squad or tread water, Arsenal made the wrong decision and drowned. They can avoid that crushing call for hindsight from a similar position of strength by signing Tielemans and Neto, players they will soon need to keep their momentum going.

blrgooner

Established Member
We are doing well now but October is going to be super tricky. We have 6 PL games and probably 3/4 Europa league games. That`s a game every 3 days. We are going to need all the reserve strength we can get by then. After that we have world cup and all the big clubs are going to have multiple players playing lots of games there.
This season is going to be crazy and we really do need to add 1-2 players into the squad to ensure that we can get through unscathed.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
1. Liverpool
2. City
3. Sp**s
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. West Ham
7. United
8. Newcastle
9. Villa
10. Palace
11. Wolves
12. Leicester
13. Brighton
14. Brentford
15. Everton
16. Southampton
17. Forest
18. Leeds
19. Fulham
20. Bournemouth

...my non-biased predictions, based on what I think will happen on the transfer front too.

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Sp**s
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. United
7. Newcastle
8. Palace
9. West Ham
10. Brighton
11. Villa
12. Leicester
13. Wolves
14. Brentford
15. Leeds
16. Everton
17. Forest
18. Southampton
19. Fulham
20. Bournemouth

...feeling this now.

Will keep updating an various points of the season, until I am right 👍

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

After that 5/10 window we’ll do well to finish top four.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Sp**s have better squads than us. United are weaker when it comes to comparing first elevens but have a better squad than us.

5th or 6th and failure in the cups I think, which will be of our own doing - so Edu out at least after messing up two consecutive transfer windows with us in great positions at the time.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
After that 5/10 window we’ll do well to finish top four.

City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Sp**s have better squads than us. United are weaker when it comes to comparing first elevens but have a better squad than us.

5th or 6th and failure in the cups I think, which will be of our own doing - so Edu out at least after messing up two consecutive transfer windows with us in great positions at the time.

Everything correct here, H. 5th or 6th realistic expectation and Arteta’s form in cups suggests little chance of success there, though we should still expect him to get far into one competition.

blrgooner

Established Member
Everything correct here, H. 5th or 6th realistic expectation and Arteta’s form in cups suggests little chance of success there, though we should still expect him to get far into one competition.
Nah don`t agree with that. We are really short and I am as frustrated as the next person with our inability to bring in more players but from the second half of last season, we have basically replaced Laca,Tavares and Pepe with Jesus, Zinchenko, Vieira and Saliba. I know we have some extra fixtures but I am not convinced that it should affect us that much considering that in most of those games, we can rotate. Arteta does need to rotate players better in general. Having said that, I think quality wise, we are better than last season and I expect some more points than last season.
My expectation is to get 74-77 points this season. For that we may need to get 23-24 wins. for 24 wins, we would need to win 19 out of the next 33 games which is possible even with depleted numbers given how good have looked so far IMO.
With that many points, we should get top 4.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Nah don`t agree with that. We are really short and I am as frustrated as the next person with our inability to bring in more players but from the second half of last season, we have basically replaced Laca,Tavares and Pepe with Jesus, Zinchenko, Vieira and Saliba. I know we have some extra fixtures but I am not convinced that it should affect us that much considering that in most of those games, we can rotate. Arteta does need to rotate players better in general. Having said that, I think quality wise, we are better than last season and I expect some more points than last season.
My expectation is to get 74-77 points this season. For that we may need to get 23-24 wins. for 24 wins, we would need to win 19 out of the next 33 games which is possible even with depleted numbers given how good have looked so far IMO.
With that many points, we should get top 4.

You have to take into account rivals though, Utd willl probably have a better season than last one.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

My gut feeling is that we will make top four, but we have yet again placed ourselves in a position where we are very vulnerable to injuries. This could become particularly critical this season with the condensed playing calendar.

I still think we have remedied some of our most serious weaknesses from last season. We finally have a top striker, and the left back position has been strengthened.

It's difficult to properly assess the window, as we do not yet know how well Vieira and Marquinhos can perform for us this season.

The final thing to keep in mind is that the team has been together with the manager for some time now. I think that is starting to be visible in our attacking play. In addition, there is a good vibe around the club and the fans, that will be an advantage compared to the fractious period we've gone through.

Top four should be within reach.

blrgooner

Established Member
You have to take into account rivals though, Utd willl probably have a better season than last one.
They might have a better season, but I doubt they will improve enough to go from 58 to 75 points. Even if that happens, some other team till struggle. Average no of points required for 3rd spot since 2010 is 73.25.
I think this season its going to be tough for big clubs(including us) too with the world cup right in between.
I do hope we start working towards getting some players in in Jan though.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
As self-appointed Arteta-Out spokesperson I'll take this one.

It's more about why he binned them and how rarely we ended up better off from him doing that. W

Slightly off. We all know he should have been sacked back then but it's more about trust in the manager being broken. We won't argue that he should be sacked now based off 20/21 but for many of us he'll have to cancel our those lows with some equivalent highs. He's broken a lot of negative records, now needs to break more positive ones.

This one is slightly off. Being pissed that Wenger didn't get the same backing is valid but it also is pointless as that's in the past. It's more about being pissed that Arteta is the manager the Kroenke's chose to back despite him being completely unproven. Some feel that we'd be better off giving someone like Potter 3 years and £400M.

Just @Makingtrax next time :lol:

Guilty for sure, you can overcome this by succeeding in your job though. That's what a lot of us are waiting for.

You missed a key one. The inability of some of his inners to acknowledge any mistake he's ever made. From questioning player's personal lives to invalidating entire leagues. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how much the truth can be twisted/bent/ignored to defend Mikel in certain situations. This causes so much of the back-and-forth on here.

I speak for the outers when I say 99% of us aren't actually outers right now, haven't been for a while. We may think he's not good enough but it doesn't mean we want him out right now. We all have quite clear and reasonable expectations of him and are quite consistent in those. Obviously you have my 5* generals like @Baki and @Rasmi who absolutely detest him but I'm sure even they could be won over.

Now....is there anyone on your side who would ever change their mind on Arteta? 😇
I want him out right now. The only way he changes my mind is if he can perform like Klopp and win a PL, challenge for a CL and constantly challenge for the PL. we’ve spent the money that would allow an elite manager to do exactly that.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom