• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Huddersfield Town vs Arsenal | 06/08/08

kamikaze80

Established Member
Re: Huddersfield v Arsenal | 06-08-08 19:00

i agree, fabianski is terrible. not trying to get a reaction or anything, i really think he's that bad and it's terrifying that we're one muscle pull away from having him as our starting GK. there must be close to thirty-five better keepers than him in the premiership alone.

invisibleman18

Established Member

So with Eboue rested for this one and Walcott starting does that effectively mean Eboue is still first choice and barring injury will be starting against West Brom?
Or should we not read anything into it?

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The first half was quite boring and unbearable to watch defensively. The boys seemed forget the basics of passing. That's pass the ball to teammates' fronts so they can receive the ball conformtably without slowing down. However, the ball was too often passed with too much weight or toward receivers' hind or less favourable foot. Even Wilshere made this kind of mistakes a few times. Defensveily, Gavin really struggled and Djourou offered little help to him. I can't remember any scene of Djourou commanding Gavin what to do. Gibbs was solid in his position and offered some width in going forward.

In the second half, things were getting better. The passes were done more properly and players received passes on the move without having to slow down. Barazite appeared still finding his foot in the beginning. Then he started finding his rythme and did a few good link up plays. Before this summer, I said I wanted Simpson to be sold. But now I really hope he can stay one more season and given a chance. Simpson played well today, despite the quality of opposition. It's a bit frustrating to see Theo's display, particularly in contrast to Simpson's. Ever since Theo said Wenger wanting him to be more direct, Theo often has been too direct. Too many times, Theo's first decisions when taking the ball were wrong. That's why he lost possession quite easily. I don't think a striker as good as Henry is would try to run past markers every time and everywhere on the pitch. Theo has the skills and pace, but he still can't utilise them consistently. Simpson, on the other hand, may not be as skillful and pacey as Theo but at least he knows how to make the right decisions.

Anyway, at least the boys have the result to furhter their condidence. But I don't think Wenger would be pleased to see the repeated mistakes of passing in the first half. Almost all the outfield players were all at fault once or twice if not more times.

Don Pacifico

Established Member

The goalkeeping position is an interesting conundrum. I think there are few gooners out there content with Manny as number one, especially when you compare him with the calibre of keeper at the other top clubs.

Fabianski hasn't done anything wrong in my opinion from what I've seen of him. He may not have shown any spectacular ability but he's alright has a number two for now. I wonder if he will make the step up to number one as originally planned. Anyway, they rate him as the third best keeper in Poland, which can't be a bad thing. No reason to panic with him.

Mannone did pretty badly at Barnsley by all accounts an almost went out on loan again at the start of last season. Admittedly I haven't seen much of him but he doesn't look to inspiring on what I have seen. He'll get a chance to prove himself this season in the Carling Cup I guess.

raidersoftheark

Established Member

What's with all the Fabianski bashing? I thought he was fine. Admittedly, he shoudn't be a 2nd choice GK, but that's hardly his fault. I have faith that he'll come good, and I think he is good for his age.

Asterix

Established Member

invisibleman18 said:
So with Eboue rested for this one and Walcott starting does that effectively mean Eboue is still first choice and barring injury will be starting against West Brom?

Didn't Walcott play up front? I think Wenger wanted to give him a run out as striker. he should he first choice RM ahead of Eboue this season, or I'm wholeheartedly joining Biggus as a Wenger sceptic.

asajoseph

Established Member

Asterix said:
invisibleman18 said:

Didn't Walcott play up front? I think Wenger wanted to give him a run out as striker. he should he first choice RM ahead of Eboue this season, or I'm wholeheartedly joining Biggus as a Wenger sceptic.

I was wondering the same - though I agree also with Asterix, at least the fact he played up front might hint that it was just an opportunity to give him a run-out. After all, as a striker, he's on a par with Vela in the pecking order at the moment.

I do worry a bit about Walcott as a striker at the moment - haven't seen any pre-season matches yet, but last year he always seemed to get lost between the centre-backs, and not particularly adept at making himself available.

For now, I think he has to start on the right wing, whilst he continues to grow and develop at the top level. Unlike other players Wenger's wasted on the wing, I think Theo has the tools to make the most of that position.

nidza7

Established Member

GoonerGurjit said:
I thought Gibbs and Barazite were superb in the second half. I'm a huge fan of Barazite. He's got great technique, vision and one hell of a shot on him. I really do believe he will go on to become a super player for us.

Gibbs had another good game at left-back. He was a big threat from an attacking point of view in the second half.

I thought Randall had an attrocious first half, but improved a fair bit in the second half.

I`m too,imo there`s something Pires-ish in him.I so want see him in first team very soon.

asajoseph

Established Member

I've not seen Nacer this pre-season, but I was very impressed whenever I saw him last year - I was very surprised that he hasn't even had a look-in for the first XI so far in our friendlies.

The player he reminds me of most, perhaps unsurprisingly, is Van Persie.

longrufus

Established Member

Barazite has been the one player (Wilshere was hiding away in the u-18's) who always stood out for me in the reserve team, always looked like a player who had the ability to make it at Arsenal. He has the technical ability and has the physical traits to make an impact sooner rather than later.

A years loan playing at a higher level (top championship team would be ideal) would do him the world of good as i cant see him porgressing anymore in the reserves, and i cant see him getting enough CC games etc to push his development.

M+D

Established Member

asajoseph said:
Asterix said:
invisibleman18 said:

I was wondering the same - though I agree also with Asterix, at least the fact he played up front might hint that it was just an opportunity to give him a run-out. After all, as a striker, he's on a par with Vela in the pecking order at the moment.

I do worry a bit about Walcott as a striker at the moment - haven't seen any pre-season matches yet, but last year he always seemed to get lost between the centre-backs, and not particularly adept at making himself available.

For now, I think he has to start on the right wing, whilst he continues to grow and develop at the top level. Unlike other players Wenger's wasted on the wing, I think Theo has the tools to make the most of that position.

Agree completely with that. On the right wing he is a constant threat with his pace and his link up play when facing defenders has improved massively. He can be very good this season on the wing for us.

Up front however, he is fine when he uses his pace in behind, but when he has to do the stuff all strikers must do - i.e. hold the ball up with back to goal - he simply can't do it atm, whether due to physically or lack of match practice in that position. Vela, who some expected to be lightweight, does this sort of thing with ease and he's the same size as Walcott.

The way I see it is Vela is a squad player up front for us, while Walcott is a first choice winger when Rosicky/Nasri aren't fit. Both can be on the wing or up front but atm Walcott is a winger and Vela is a striker.

Anzac

Established Member

I thought that AW said that Vela was ahead of Theo in the striking order?
IMO Theo may start the season ahead of Vela off the bench, but that's as much about Theo having been at the club longer & with more time in the 1st team. Things may not be the same by the end of season.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

We always create a lot of chances and don’t always score all of them.

“But it’s difficult to complain when you score three goals. Manu came good in the second half.

“To keep a guy like him quiet for 90 minutes you need some strength. Slowly his physical power took over the match.”

Cesc Fabregas made his first start of the pre-season and played alongside Denilson at the heart of the Arsenal midfield.

But Wenger admitted he does not know if that is his ideal combination for the new season.

Abou Diaby has a thigh problem and Alexandre Song is at the Olympics — leaving Wenger short of central midfield options.

The boss said: “I don’t know if our midfield was ideal but it’s certainly not far from the midfield we’ll play on Wednesday night.

“I’m not concerned. I would have been very concerned tonight if we had one or two injuries in midfield. We cannot afford that.

“I said many times we are one body short. And if you ask me who can come in, I cannot answer the question because I don’t know more than you.”

But two howlers in two minutes from certain starters Toure and Gallas saw Ajax take the lead.

Suarez unleashed a sensational left-foot half-volley into the roof of the net on 34 minutes.

Seconds later Gabri’s quick free-kick caught the centre-halves napping again and Dario Cvitanovich nodded onto Huntelaar who fired home from 20 yards.

But Wenger brushed it off adding: “Some players are still a bit short physically — but I’m not really concerned.

“We were much better defensively in the second half. In the first half our position on the pitch was not right. We changed that at half-time and from then on it was much more difficult for Ajax to play.

“Kolo is OK. It’s his first game since he had malaria and I felt in the second half he was much better than in the first.”
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1534876.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/foo ... 534876.ece</a>

Arsenal Quotes

Have Tottenham closed the gap on Arsenal?
Last time I checked they were still 4 miles and 11 titles away

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom