• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: River Plate vs Arsenal | 31/07/04

lee1001

Established Member
First of all i would just like to say it was a pleasure watching my first Arsenal game in three months and really enjoyed seeing some of the younger players get some action. Im hungry for the season to start now.
A pretty boring game for the neutral but as an Arsenal fan its hard to not enjoy seeing the future team in action.
Im not going to review every move in the game cos i can't be arsed as its late, if you saw the game great if not, you'll just have to enjoy the player reviews below.

Reyes, Pennant, Eboue, and Senderos were the best players out there tonight. Cesc and Almunia get an honourable mention.

Reyes was very lively, made some great runs beating several players on his own, set up Jeffers nicely in the second half. Looked the most likely to break the deadlock tonight and should feel confident going into the new season.

Really impressed with Pennant, nice to see somebody with blistering pace on the right hand side of our team, exellent crosses and tracked back well...still has a tendency to loose the ball a bit easily..and we know Wenger doesn't like that. His chance of playing first team games will hinder on wether he can be more composed in his distribution. Also set up Jeffers with a good chance.

Eboue was very effective, quick with good skill, not really a physical presence but broke from midfield well and his distribution was good to the front two. Ne was ok, but nothing special.

Cesc had a decent game, good range of passing; although a few were misplaced, aggresive in the tackle but like somebody has already said, needs to learn to dominate midfield more, i think that wiill come as he matures physicaly.

Almunia didn't put a foot wrong, dominated his area and made some good claims on crosses. His distribution was exellent tonight, it was refreshing not to find myself wincing every time our goalkeeper kicked the ball for a change. :) I love you really Lehmann!!

Clichy looked good going forward but defensively was poor tonight, the opposition exploited the space on the left hand side well.

Senderos, for such a tall guy is incredibly skillful and looked very composed and comfortable on the ball (unlike Cygan of course who is completely the opposite). Barely misplaced a pass all night, made some great blocks and was good in the air. For the first time i see what all the fuss is about with this guy

Van Persie, good opening 15 minutes but very quiet after that, had a couple of good shots from distance but probably had his worse game so far in the pre-season friendlies.

As far as the subs are concerned...

Flamini did not get into the game at all. Alaidiere did pretty much nothing.
Bergkamp made an impression, very nearly scored form a Hoyte cross.
I put my ass on the line in another thread about this guy, great player but was hit and miss tonight, as mentioned above, good cross for Bergkamp and very pacy, did well to recover from a few wayward passes and some poor positioning.

Hmm, clanger of the night has to go to Jeffers, I think the following Wenger comment was dedicated to him...

"What I knew already was confirmed today but it's a good learning process for the young players - if you are too slow you lose the ball"

Well summed up by 'le boss' i thought.

Now for my ratings...

Almunia - 7
Clichy - 6
Cygan - 6
Senderos - 8
Eboue - 8
Pennant - 8
Cesc - 7.5
Ne - 6
REYES - 9
Van Persie - 6.5
Jeffers - 4 (im being generous)

I think that sums up the player performances well enough, obviously there will be disagreements but hey, pobody's nerfect!!! 8)

A

Anonymous

Today Results:

Arsenal - River Plate 0 - 0

Ajax - Panathinaikos 3 - 2

54' Ibrahimovic - Ajax
62' Sonck - Ajax
64' Sonck(pen) - Ajax
76' Epalle - Panathinaikos
83' Konstadinidis - Panathinaikos

Standing after Day 1:

1. Ajax 1 / 3 - 2 / + 3 / 3 pt. + 3 = 6 pt.
2. Panathinaikos 1 / 2 - 3 / + 2 / 0 pt. + 2 = 2 pt.
3. Arsenal 1 / 0 - 0 / 0 / 1 pt. + 0 = 1 pt.
4. River Plate 1 / 0 - 0 / 1 pt. + 0 = 1 pt.

nnaife

i wasn't impressed with the defence at all Senderos got totally nutmeged and was out of position a number of times, he needs a lot of work IMO.

Cygan needs to be replaced as soon as wenger can find a decent experienced centreback who does not panic on the ball, this guy is not an asset to the club.

Hoyte needs more exposure but looks promising but we need an experienced rightback, roll on trabelsi.

Jeffers is a complete waste of space he cannot play with a talent like Reyes, who i think is amazing easily our best player on the pitch and Ne looked really good too.

Cesc struggled physically but he had a few decent touches but i felt he was played slightly out of position.

As for River Plate, oh boy, they totally outplayed us in the second half Rubens Sambueza was just magnificent, their defenders and midfield were solid and stroked the ball effortlessly around the pitch with natural one touch football sheer south american stuff.
Daniel Ludueña's one touchback heels were fantastic.
Pity we couldn't get to see more of them and they have tons of good players that didn't even come off the bench.

Our boys were good in the midfield and left flank but that defence needs work and cygan should go now.

Reyes is a gem to watch.

kin4ever

No doubt! Reyes is the best player in the game :D Almunia & Hoyte impressed me too~! And at first I was quite excited to see Van Persie with his clever turns but that's all... for this game!

P.S. I think Cygan is not that bad at all in this game! Just not good enough

Double_H

Established Member
well im back and Finally saw OUR team

first I liked Alumnia ...looks promsing and i guess he will be our first chioce next season

Cygan was Ok Guys Not that bad ..he is always Like this

sendours ...was out if Postion but i think he can Improve

Ebouy ....at one time i felt that he is faster than Hennry ....good in dripple ...but cant Defend

didnt Like NE

cesc looks promising

jeffers sux take him out

Pennant ...Freddie will have 2 fight 4 his place

Reyes .....AWSEOME

Robin was Tired

but i noticed that Reyes and Robin ...looooks close
like best friends :angel ...its a good sign

A

Anonymous

Hoyte needs more exposure but looks promising but we need an experienced rightback, roll on trabelsi.
How does a player gain experience? From playing games, every player starts off inexperienced and they dont suddenly get experience, we have to keep playing them. Lauren is the experienced right back, hoyte is the understudy who should get lots of games this year and then next year make a break through into the first team.

Overall ew were average, BUT this was our reserve team, this was plates strongest team almost, and we still had better chances, think that looks good doesnt it. Reyes played well, van persie and jeffers crap.

calvinngai88

theguvnor, RVP was real tired, just like Reyes. Jeffers was far more crappy than RVP. Missed so many chances that can turn into goals, especially the one which Pennant dribbled in before passing onto him.

I'll prefer Hoyte being a CB than a RB. He played far more better in that CB position. Cesc did well, chased every ball.

Really, but i hate to say it, Jeffers is really sh*t. In another thread, everyone says Jeffers should be ahead of Aliadiere, but his commitment to the River game is absolutely zero. He didn't chase any ball that he lost. 90% of his passes were intercepted. He only waited for the ball to come and not trying to get the ball under his feet. No coordination with the team.

Eboue attacked well, his dribbling is good. But not tight enough in his defence, often complacent after his attacking runs are intercepted. Didn't try to run back to his position. Walked back instead. Clichy didn't play well too, that was unexpected. Everyone rates him highly. Maybe it was because of the hot weather in Holland. Bergkamp was fantastic, inspired the team after coming on. Missed a head from far (didn't blame him, was a good header though). Reyes deserved his man of match status, crossed in well in last few minutes for Bergkamp to latch onto it and almost unleashed a wonderful comeback in Amsterdam Arena but was blocked well by the defender.

Almunia wasn't troubled much in the game. Was calm at the back, handled the ball well. Cygan doesn't fit for the captain's armband, maybe because he's the oldest member in the starting eleven.

Flamini, maybe not that adapted yet to the game. Didn't impress me much. Made only a few touched on the ball, gave a few passes. Shall see more of him if he plays for the Ajax game, which is unlikely.

Sven Goran Eriksson was there. Hopefully, he can see Pennant's ready for the big game in the national squad. Marco Ne was average, only a long shot which went just over the crossbar.

As for Senderos, I guess he'll be the first choice backup CB. He's far more better than Cygan in the game. Cygan was pathetic with his clearances. Nervous at the back. On the other hand, Senderos was calm, intercepted many balls.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom