• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: VfB Stuttgart vs Arsenal | 30/07/08

phenn

Re: VfB Stuttgart v Arsenal | 30-07-08 19:15

Ade's just frustrating like that, there are times he looks so ungodly awful and then he does things that are very good and scores goals.

The last part makes him worth keeping around.

He's not good enough to be great if his heart's not it in though. If we could have gotten a large fee for him (20m plus) we should have taken it. I don't think anyone wanted him that badly though.

Eboue is good enough offensively to play at DM (is that backhanded?) but I definitely wonder if he has enough bite and positional sense, especially the latter. The quip about the director of football position was class, whoever that was.

For some reason being an Arsenal fan the last few seasons has been an exercise in looking brightly at the future, and Jack Wilshere sure as hell hasn't changed that. He really does look good, but he's only 16! Surely he needs another two years before he can contribute to the cause with any real meaning.

Nasri had one very good run in the first half that reminded me why people compare him to you know who. Very strong on the ball and great control.

Please sell Djourou Arsène.

tam1886

Established Member

Gazza Martinez said:
As I said in the other thread, until he scores a ****load of goals this season, the Ade bashing is going to be relentless and tiresome.

Nicely taken goals from what I've seen, particularly from Vela.
Even when he scores a ****load, it will still be as relentless and still be as tiresome.

nazo

Established Member

Captain said:
Until Vela and Bendtner made an appearance we were playing in front of the Stuttgart defence too much. Nasri and VanPersie were basically sharing a position and Ade didn't look interested at all. Theo had no cutting edge either.

Speaking of Ade, does it annoy anyone else that when the ball is played into him, he comes back at least ten yards towards our own goal before he controls it, passes it or falls over. £35M striker my arse!

I HATE that, he always does it.
Other than that, i'm not going to say anything about the players that just came back but Nasri and Robin were ok (with the latter taking up a freaking midfielders role for half of the first half).

As i said, Bendtner and Vela are looking very good. You can see that they were much sharper than Ade and Robin in the first half. Theo was much better in the second half but was ok in the first. Denilson was average. Eboue was ok in cm heh. All CB's that played today were pathetic and of course Clichy and Sagna were as you would expect them to be.

lee1001

Established Member

Captain said:
Ade has been doing what I described above from the moment he signed for us, has nothing to do with lack of pre-season or any other excuse you can think up.

As soon as the 30 goals a season dry up then lets talk some more.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member

I wasn't impressed with Nasri at all. Nothing special from him today. Its only his first game though, so its too early to judge.

Van Persie was pretty good. His passing was sharp and he showed some great vision today, he was also very hard to get the ball off and held on to it very well, definitely our most exciting and creative player on the field in the first half.

Eboue in midfield, I almost couldn't believe it, I din't know wether to cry or laugh. He actually wasn't all that bad, although he did leave most of the work to Denilson. Anyways, if I see him starting any games there in the PL or CL this season I'll go mad.

Good stuff from Clichy, Vela, Wilshere and Bendtner.

nazo

Established Member

lee1001 said:
Captain said:
Ade has been doing what I described above from the moment he signed for us, has nothing to do with lack of pre-season or any other excuse you can think up.

As soon as the 30 goals a season dry up then lets talk some more.

But that's not what he was talking about. Ade's first touch has always been awkward, goals have nothing to do with it :?

lee1001

Established Member

It just frustrates me when a valuable member of the squad who contributed greatly is still getting stick about his overall play. Every player has his faults.

oh and i quote "£35M striker my arse!"

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

I thought Nasri showed some good close control. Put one or two nice short feeds into the box as well.

It's hard to be too critical of those who were getting their first run, e.g. Ade, RvP, Nasri etc. Hopefully the same goes for the centre back pairings.

mccroix

just got back from Stuttgart...

I'll share some impressions with you tomorrow and if you want I'll upload some pictures after that...nothing special..

got to go to work in 5 hours so I'll better get some sleep ;)

AliBabaBrewer

Having not watched the game, I can't particularly comment, but I've watched the 3 goals on 101goals.com.

First off, Bendtner looked to have made a good assist and a good goal from what I've seen of them. (Even with suspicions of offside for Vela's goal, it was still a good pass)

And I want to know who was playing left wing for Wilshere's goal, because that was a bloody good assist from whoever it was! And Wilshere's impressive goals-game record, despite it being pre-season, could earn him a bigger playing part in our actual season and I see him playing a larger part this year than just Carling Cup..

nazo

Established Member

That was the tank Clichy down the left for Wilshere's goal.

True Gooner

Established Member

AliBabaBrewer said:
And I want to know who was playing left wing for Wilshere's goal, because that was a bloody good assist from whoever it was!

Clichy.

Unfortunately I didnt see the game, but I quite enjoyed the goals we scored. Wilshires goal was the pick of the lot but Vela and Bendtner scored some great goals as well.
Im disappointed in our defence though, its a pain to see that we still dont pick up players around the edge of the box. We all know that our weakness are long balls between the Cbs so surely our players should make more of an effort to prevent goals from any other kind of move. Basturk got like 3 comfortable touches inside the box before he took a shot.
As for Eboue playing as DM - :|
Glad to here that he did reasonably well, could he be the chosen one after all? I wouldnt bet on it.
If we can just sort out even one of the three defensive positions (GK,CB,DM) with some real quality we should be good to go.

Love the away kit! :mrgreen:

banduan

Established Member

dissapointed Djorou was CB instead of DM. He is no CB.

illmatik

Established Member

Oh please with the Djourou bashing, he honestly wasn't that bad, Gallas was much worse

Jinn

Established Member

Yeah, the away kit looked class. Made you forget that we were wearing that **** white one last season. It looked like it had always been our away kit.

invisibleman18

Established Member

Am I reading correctly that Eboue was in central midfield? Does this mean that after failing on the wing he's now going to be tried as a central midfield option rather than some new more experienced signing? How come Diaby wasn't involved?

mindchnger

Eboue played as a DM of sorts, didn't have to do much just sat back, made simple passes, couple of backheels as well - played efficiently. Though he played well enough there for this game, don't want to get carried away and think he'd be able to do the job permanently. Still though, it's an option.

Diaby seems to have picked up an injury of some sort, it's been mentioned on Arsenal TV but they haven't gone into specifics.

Sammer

Established Member

Nothing much new from the game.

The fitness and health of Clichy and Sagna will again be vital for our season performance in the key competitions. They are both instrumental for our defense AND our attack.

If Wenger strengthens the midfield like he announced, we can be as competitive as last season.

Oh, and Almunia's hairdo is just silly.

Double_H

Established Member

Our weakness is CB
Phill must play with Gallas or Toure and Arsène needs to buy a good cb

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom