• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joestlaachmkr

Besides, for what it’s worth, I consider Pep overrated anyways. He has only ever managed superior teams in their respected leagues and at Barcelona he inherited one of the best player materials ever seen. Two PL titles at City in four years? Even Pellegrini and Mancini won titles with that financial backing.
I just wonder why do you consider Pep to be overrated? Dont you think there`s a reason why he has only managed "superior" teams? The reason why Pep got the Barca job in 2008 was because he had won 23 games in a row with Barcelona B and february 2008 Barcelona with Ronaldinho, Giuly, Eto`o, Xavi and Iniesta on the team played a friendly against Pep`s Barcelona B, Barcelona won the game 2-1 but Barca B had the ball 58% of the game and created more passes during the game than what Rijkaard`s Barca did. When Pep took over Barcelona he sold most of the key players from the Rijkaard era and built up his own team at Barcelona within 1 year after he got the job. Pep has been lucky by taking over the right clubs at the right time, but you are not one of the most dominant managers in the history of football by money and luck. Mancini and Pellegrini also won the league with City but none of them was even close of winning the league with so many points or by taking so many wins in a row as Pep has done. Besides that, both Pellegrini and Mancini are world class managers.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Established Member
Youth team isn’t senior football though. Arteta is working with Sterling, De Bruyne, Sane, who have all praised him.

Work with them =/= is their manager. No matter what when things go wrong people look at Pep, not Arteta. When we are struggling like we did under Emery will Arteta be capable of pulling us up, or will he do a worse job than Emery?

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Work with them =/= is their manager. No matter what when things go wrong people look at Pep, not Arteta. When we are struggling like we did under Emery will Arteta be capable of pulling us up, or will he do a worse job than Emery?
the answer to this, and most other posts in this thread, is NOBODY KNOWS

Ewarwoowar

26rm9.jpg

Yup was wondering if anyone here went back that far to get the reference, imagine some posters actually believed that to be Marcelino in the photo

FinnGooner

Established Member
I just wonder why do you consider Pep to be overrated? Dont you think there`s a reason why he has only managed "superior" teams? The reason why Pep got the Barca job in 2008 was because he had won 23 games in a row with Barcelona B and february 2008 Barcelona with Ronaldinho, Giuly, Eto`o, Xavi and Iniesta on the team played a friendly against Pep`s Barcelona B, Barcelona won the game 2-1 but Barca B had the ball 58% of the game and created more passes during the game than what Rijkaard`s Barca did. When Pep took over Barcelona he sold most of the key players from the Rijkaard era and built up his own team at Barcelona within 1 year after he got the job. Pep`s by taking over the right clubs at the right time, but you are not one of the most dominant managers in the history of football by money and luck. Mancini and Pellegrini also won the league with City but none of them was even close to winning the league with so many points or by taking so many wins in a row as Pep has done. Besides that, both Pellegrini and Mancini are world class managers.

First of all by overrated, I don’t mean bad so I’m not saying it’s just money and luck. But the way people perceive him as the best, I’m not so convinced. Give those same teams and budgets to some other top managers and I suspect they’d have pretty much the same level of success. Also, the way his teams at Bayern and City have gone out of the CL, has revealed some flaws in his game plans. He simply always, in all situations, relies on ball possession.

All that said, it would be nice to see him in a tier 2 club and see how he’d do. So I wouldn’t be against him coming to Arsenal for example.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

I would’ve sacked Emery after cucking up third the way we did, but let’s not pretend that he was put in a position to thrive and succeed.

Language - I agree with his argument that most wouldn’t strive to learn and speak his native tongue in Spain, however the UK and English as a whole is a different dynamic.

As far as transfers go, it must be tough to have the board sanction 0/3 of your targets. Atleast, Pepe was a Zaha comparable but he received nothing else comparable to Maguire or Partey who can help this year.

All in all, I don’t rate Emery but let’s not pretend managers receive the backing they need from our management team and they’re apart of the problem for this catastrophic year. Ornstein’s piece validated that.

Underhill

The Pochettino to Arsenal hopes seem similar to when you all thought Dembele would join. It is not happening. Imagine the headache it would be for him to live in London after that betrayal.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
People thinking Arteta is the new Pep because he has been his assistant should take a good look at the careers of former assistant coaches of other top managers.

Carlos Queiros, Pat Rice, Rui Faria, Steve Bould, Mike Phelan...I could continue this list for ages but even a dummer individual should get the point.

Even if Arteta is our long term choice, the club is in chaos right now so this definitely isn’t the ideal time or place to start his managerial career. We need to bring in somebody experienced for at least couple of seasons to get things on track and this will give Edu some more time as well to implement his plan.

Lots of people think he is the next good thing because he has a good pedigree. Was a smart player who read the game well and was a leader. Was coached by probably greatest ever, Wenger, and is mentored as a coach by what most think is greatest today, Pep.

no one know how good he might be, but whoever thinks he will be great just because he is Pep's assistant is just dumb..But, at the same time, whoever thinks him being assistant to Pep is the only reason why someone might like him is also very dumb.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Arteta has been openly spoken about as a viable replacement for Pep at City where the pressure to succeed given the spend is astronomical - yet many here dismiss him out of hand.

Alot of the same people calling out for Mourinho (the thoughts of throwing in a chaos personified into our current situation doesn't bear thinking about - and that's ignoring his long history of insulting)

Then there's Poch. The self same Poch whose record over the last 50 games is worse than Emery's - and with a better balanced squad. Really seemed like he lost the players - again not a ringing endorsement for taking on our lot.

They lost 13 games in the league last season and needed a catastrophic implosion from us to qualify for the CL - it's hardly a ringing endorsement

As for Allegri, his English by all accounts is poor - something which we know from Ornstein contributed to Emery's downfall. Speaking through a translator or trying to get across complex ideas when far less than fluent is always tough, especially when trying to turn around a scenario where players are disorganised, we have no real identity or style of play and the players need serious coaching - particularly at the back

As for Arteta - he knows English, he knows the club and the league and has spent years under a successful manager who sees him as his replacement and at a club where the pressure to succeed is immense). By all accounts he contributes tactically to the game and to set plays and is highly thought of in the game.

He's no more of a risk than Mourinho (a soul-suckling vampire with a history of leaving devastation behind him), Allegri (who won't be able to communicate effectively) or Poch.

Let's be honest, there are not that many top managers free and we're unlikely to challenge for league any time soon given how far ahead Liverpool are and the resources available to City to fix the mess they have currently. We have a fanabse who turned on Freddie after two (2!) games to the point where a Brighton admitted they knew all they had to do was get their nose in front and our own fans would turn on the team instead of foraring them on. We're also not exactly floating in cash to make obscene offers to propose rive candidates.

Considering everything, Arteta is worth a punt. Just feel for any new manager as if they don't turn around things immediately, our lot will be baying for blood.
You bring up some good points but discrediting Poch after recent form is silly when he’s 6 months removed from a Champions League final with a flawed squad.

To use that premise to back an iPad assistant is strange but with that being said, I’d be open to Mikel if we can’t get Poch. He took that lot to heights never seen before for that tin pot club and didn’t receive major backing in the market.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

The Pochettino to Arsenal hopes seem similar to when you all thought Dembele would join. It is not happening. Imagine the headache it would be for him to live in London after that betrayal.
He wouldn't be the first todo such a thing!!

Joestlaachmkr

First of all by overrated, I don’t mean bad so I’m not saying it’s just money and luck. But the way people perceive him as the best, I’m not so convinced. Give those same teams and budgets to some other top managers and I suspect they’d have pretty much the same level of success. Also, the way his teams at Bayern and City have gone out of the CL, has revealed some flaws in his game plans. He simply always, in all situations, relies on ball possession.

All that said, it would be nice to see him in a tier 2 club and see how he’d do. So I wouldn’t be against him coming to Arsenal for example.
Agree with most of what you are stating, but we also have to remember that Pep has the record of winning both La Liga, Bundesliga and the PL by a record number of points, he also has the record of taking most wins in a row in all the three leagues. Money plays of course a big part and Pep has been lucky that he got the jobs he did at the right time, but i doubt there are many managers in the world who are on the same level as Pep.

It was reported in 2012-13 when Pep was on a sabbatical that he wanted to become Arsenal manager, and the job was reportedly his number 1 choice. Idk if there was any truth at all in these reports, but it makes you wonder "what if?".

FinnGooner

Established Member
Lots of people think he is the next good thing because he has a good pedigree. Was a smart player who read the game well and was a leader. Was coached by probably greatest ever, Wenger, and is mentored as a coach by what most think is greatest today, Pep.

no one know how good he might be, but whoever thinks he will be great just because he is Pep's assistant is just dumb..But, at the same time, whoever thinks him being assistant to Pep is the only reason why someone might like him is also very dumb.

Yes yes. Leader as a player, coached by great coach. Once again, historically this is not a recipe for a successful manager. Ton of great players, great captains have failed miserably as managers. Some have of course made it as well. No correlation to one way or the other. Like @Mark Tobias said good students don’t automatically make good teachers. I don’t personally know Arteta so can’t say about his pedigree. What I do know, however, that in most jobs experience is a positive thing especially in tight situations, such as the one at Arsenal atm.

So like I’ve said before, Arteta could become amazing but there are absolutely no guarantees that he’ll be even decent. Which ever way his managerial career ends up taking, surely the current situtation at Arsenal is not the ideal way to start finding out.

By the way, the allmighty Arsène Wenger agrees with me. He said we should give Freddie 5-6 games and if it doesn’t work out bring in somebody EXPERIENCED!

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yes yes. Leader as a player, coached by great coach. Once again, historically this is not a recipe for a successful manager. Ton of great players, great captains have failed miserably as managers. Some have of course made it as well. No correlation to one way or the other. Like @Mark Tobias said good students don’t automatically make good teachers. I don’t personally know Arteta so can’t say about his pedigree. What I do know, however, that in most jobs experience is a positive thing especially in tight situations, such as the one at Arsenal atm.

So like I’ve said before, Arteta could become amazing but there are absolutely no guarantees that he’ll be even decent. Which ever way his managerial career ends up taking, surely the current situtation at Arsenal is not the ideal way to start finding out.

By the way, the allmighty Arsène Wenger agrees with me. He said we should give Freddie 5-6 games and if it doesn’t work out bring in somebody EXPERIENCED!

Wengers opinion was also that of not paying 7m to get Mbappe. His opinion is welcomed but not always right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom