• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

MotM - CL: Barcelona vs Arsenal | 17/05/06

Who was Your man of the Match

• Thierry Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cesc Fabregas

• Kolo Toure

• Ashley Cole

• Emmanuel Eboue

• Aleksandr Hleb

• Sol Campbell

• Manuel Almunia (he did make a couple of good saves)

• Freddie Ljungberg

• Total voters
Exiled In Newcastle said:
23Campbell said:
yeh but he slipped as Eto'o took his first touch

Because he had his feet in the wrong place and was doing the wrong thing. A keeper slipping as a striker approaches him is a condemnation not an excuse.

Or that is was raining and the surface was slippery, i mean how many times did you see outfield players slipping in the second half?

Just one of those unlucky things.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Cobblers. It's totally different slipping when you're running around and when you're a keeper and your feet should be planted! There is absolutely no excuse for slipping over and getting done at the near post.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
im no fan of Almunia, but to be fair, he was trying to make himself bigger and cover more of the goal... Eto'o had the whole goal to shoot at, and Manny had his weight on his other foot, in a calculated risk that Eto'o would go far side... the fact that he was so blatantly let in all alone, to me, puts more blame on the defence than on him.. but. I wont defend him on the 2nd goal.. it hit him and still sent in...

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Yeah but US the whole point of keeping is that you create an angle for the player to shoot and get it covered. You never ever ever let yourself be done on the inside though. Its rule 1.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
if he hugs the post, as you say, he leaves the entire far side open for an easy Eto'o goal.. either way he was basically screwed... Eto'o is almost never going to miss from there...

actually, Rule 1 for keepers is cover as much of the goal as possible...if a player beats you, make sure you make him hit a perfect shot.. Eto'o basically did that..

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
You don't hug the post mate you cover it.

I'm sorry but getting done at the near post from an angle is completely unforgivable. Almunia's incompetence MADE Eto'o's shot look good.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
you are saying that Etoo's shot wasnt placed quite well? i cant see that... Eto'o is a deadly finisher and will amost never miss from that range, angle or not... we can debate the rules of keeping all day, but the fact is that he broke through our defence and was given the opportunity to score from a range he will rarely miss from... and he scored, shock of the world... every commentator i heard that was calling or watching the game said the same thing, it was a good finish and the fault shouldn't be on Almunia for THAT goal...

overall, i though Manny did decently in the match... but, he is certainly not Arsenal #1 quality regardless...

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
USArsenal said:
you are saying that Etoo's shot wasnt placed quite well?

But it was a space the keeper allowed him to shoot into that he never should have.

It's the near post. You NEVER get beaten there. You always cover it because if you don't it's far easier for the striker to score than it is by placing it across the body. The angle is far better and it's easier to put more power into it. That's why it's about the first thing a keeper learns.

Have you seen the '71 Cup Final where Bob Wilson get's caught out on the near post? I asked him about that and he's still greatful that the guys got the goals at the other end to save him from being embarassed. He actually told me that if we'd lost he'd never have forgiven himself for it.

To be honest the second where it went through his legs was actually less of a keeping mistake and more good finishing than the first because a hard shot will often bounce in through the legs unless you've got a Seamanesque arse to sit on the ball!

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom