• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Man U | Sun 31st January | 16:00

Captain

Established Member
From a defensive viewpoint, if you look like this when possession is turned over:

---Song----
--Denilson-
-----------
Roz-Cesc-Arsh-Nasri

rather than like this:

-----Song------
---Cesc--Deni---
--Front three----

then yes, you are going to struggle significantly. There is huge importance in Cesc trying to maintain the shape and not always attempting to run beyond the striker, even if you do lose a little bit going forward.

outlaw_member

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Cesc is a genius, he can do both to a level beyond nearly every other player in the world. He just needs reliable midfield support. If he builds a strong relationship with Ramsey, for example, depending on how the game is going, how the both of them are feeling, they can choose between who's going to play the more progressive role.

He doesn't have a chance against good teams if he's got Denilson alongside him, I think we can all agree on that, and make allowances for him dropping out of the game somewhat. Even still he had tons of chances in the second half to play a pass, or receive a pass from a great run he had made, but everyones heads had gone and nothing came off.

Just in case I wasn't clear, I prefer the AM Cesc over the CM Cesc. However, I do feel that we lack his presence in deeper positions and even though Song has taken up the mantle to a degree of success, it's a large reason why he is often caught out of position because he has to take the game to the opposition. As JGooner would put it, the third CM is often always inconsequential and does nothing to make the game easier for his counterparts. If the third CM was able to help Song at controlling possession, the Cameroonian wouldn't have to carry the ball forward like he often does and he wouldn't make himself vulnerable to getting caught out. All too many times I've seen Song advance with the ball because the other CM doesn't, then the move breaks down and Song is high up the pitch and out of position.

Timleaf

Established Member
How much do people think our constant loss of defensive shape in midfield is down to a distinct lack of talker's in the central three? I dont think I've ever seen Song or Denilson utter a word on the pitch. Diaby and cesc are pretty quiet too, although I think Cesc has improved on this aspect of his game a bit this year.

I'll always remember going to watch one of Gilberto's first games for the club and, despite the fact that he couldn't really speak the language, he was hugely animated-gesticulating, pointing, pigeon english- in getting his team mates to do what he wanted them to do, and go where he wanted them to go.

Captain

Established Member
Timleaf said:
How much do people think our constant loss of defensive shape in midfield is down to a distinct lack of talker's in the central three? I dont think I've ever seen Song or Denilson utter a word on the pitch. Diaby and cesc are pretty quiet too, although I think Cesc has improved on this aspect of his game a bit this year.

I'll always remember going to watch one of Gilberto's first games for the club and, despite the fact that he couldn't really speak the language, he was hugely animated-gesticulating, pointing, pigeon english- in getting his team mates to do what he wanted them to do, and go where he wanted them to go.

Communication is definitely a problem. 3-4 times a game one of midfielders will lose possession cheaply because he has recieved the ball with a man on his shoulder and nobody has said a word.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
ricky1985 said:
Cesc is a genius, he can do both to a level beyond nearly every other player in the world. He just needs reliable midfield support. If he builds a strong relationship with Ramsey, for example, depending on how the game is going, how the both of them are feeling, they can choose between who's going to play the more progressive role.

He doesn't have a chance against good teams if he's got Denilson alongside him, I think we can all agree on that, and make allowances for him dropping out of the game somewhat. Even still he had tons of chances in the second half to play a pass, or receive a pass from a great run he had made, but everyones heads had gone and nothing came off.

Just in case I wasn't clear, I prefer the AM Cesc over the CM Cesc. However, I do feel that we lack his presence in deeper positions and even though Song has taken up the mantle to a degree of success, it's a large reason why he is often caught out of position because he has to take the game to the opposition. As JGooner would put it, the third CM is often always inconsequential and does nothing to make the game easier for his counterparts. If the third CM was able to help Song at controlling possession, the Cameroonian wouldn't have to carry the ball forward like he often does and he wouldn't make himself vulnerable to getting caught out. All too many times I've seen Song advance with the ball because the other CM doesn't, then the move breaks down and Song is high up the pitch and out of position.
The 3rd midfielder is affecting us both offensively and defensively. We need to see how the team does once Diaby gets up and running again or even Ramsey, and perhaps even wait until Bendtner is clicking into gear upfront, to get a full idea of the role Fabregas will play, and how that affects Song and the defence.

Nela

Established Member
Communication is a problem all over the pitch.

Did anyone manage to miss the Gallas stare at Almunia a couple of games ago? It said it all.

Even Sagna almost blew up at Almunia a while back for not saying anything when he found himself in a difficult situation.

Lord Dula

Established Member
What I noticed was that Arshavin was the only one offering off the ball movement yesterday.

My god, Samir Nasri is just a useless lump these day. Also for a team billed as being pacey, we've only really Arshavin who is. Granted Theo and Clichy can run fast but that hinders them.

ibby

Established Member
Nela said:
Communication is a problem all over the pitch.

Did anyone manage to miss the Gallas stare at Almunia a couple of games ago? It said it all.

Even Sagna almost blew up at Almunia a while back for not saying anything when he found himself in a difficult situation.
And Traore throwing a hissy fit against Bolton I think.

These are basic defensive errors that this team is making. All our goals yesterday could have been easily avoided.

kamikaze80

Established Member
it's a huge pet peeve of mine when i play. everyone should always be talking, defensive guys should be organising from the back and the ball receiver should always get a call when there's a man on. we definitely need bigger personalities like gilberto. i definitely think it's a personality issue and not a language thing. i suspect there are some young players who don't think they have anything to learn from arshavin or gallas, too.

Nela

Established Member
I also agree about the lack of pace. For me it's vital that the third midfielder has pace along with a strong physical presense. So basically, Diaby is our best bet now.

I think we need at least two "men's bodies" in midfield IMO. So no manboys like Nasri, Rosicky or Denilson. Ramsey can probably eventually have that physical presense, but he's not physically developed enough yet and unfortunately lacks in the pace department.

Kain

Established Member
We're not the only one or team that suffers from communication problems, even Rafael(?) for united headed a ball out for a corner that could easily of been cleared if he had a shout yesterday but it does seem a common theme. We play the game at lightening pace compared to most which can make it that much more difficult but we still need to work on that aspect of our game, Arshavin is always telling people what to do where to go etc wish we had a few more like him in the team, Gallas just seems like he’s about to explode and needs 500G of Diazepam pre-game just to cool him down each game and Almunia’s communication is just pathetic 90% of the time... so yea we do need to work on it but I would not say it’s the be all and end all of the current problems.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Nela said:
I also agree about the lack of pace. For me it's vital that the third midfielder has pace along with a strong physical presense. So basically, Diaby is our best bet now.

I think we need at least two "men's bodies" in midfield IMO. So no manboys like Nasri, Rosicky or Denilson. Ramsey can probably eventually have that physical presense, but he's not physically developed enough yet and unfortunately lacks in the pace department.

Lorik Cana!!!!! Just kiddin ;)

Nels, you should share your convo with tha boys in the tolly after the game!

ibby

Established Member
Nela said:
Stamina and work-rate? Yes. Pace? No.

Pace is probably the least important attribute for a central midfielder. It's not a part of the pitch that you can use it in because it's too congested most of the time.

ricky1985

Established Member
Ramsey, for me, is the perfect player for the role. It's a shame he's still a year or more away from that level though.

Lord Dula

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Ramsey, for me, is the perfect player for the role. It's a shame he's still a year or more away from that level though.

perfect player internally, but not really the perfect player out there

Nela

Established Member
ibby said:
Nela said:

Pace is probably the least important attribute for a central midfielder. It's not a part of the pitch that you can run flat out 95% of the time because it's too congested.
I'm not simply talking about "a midfielder" I'm talking about the third midfielder in our system. It's improtant to have someone of the three that can cover a lot of ground quickly. None of Fabregas, Song or Denilson can do this. When Diaby was playing well before he got injured one of the big positives was his ability to track back very quickly, covering a lot of ground at a speed, and defend. None of our other CMs can do this.

Timleaf

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
it's a huge pet peeve of mine when i play. everyone should always be talking.

I feel exactly the same. I remember when I was a kid (13/14) the dad's that used to come and watch my team play used to say how quiet we were on the pitch. At the time I thought being vocal was all about simple encouragement ("come on boys", that sort of thing). But it was only when i started playing with better players and adults at 19/20 that I realised that the game is so much easier when you're organising and instructing on the pitch. Ever since then I've made a point of never being too inhibited to communicate, even when I've gone and played for a new team with established players.

ricky1985

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
ricky1985 said:

perfect player internally, but not really the perfect player out there
Not for me, I think he'll grow into the exact player we need next to Cesc, and ahead of Song. Look at his attributes; 6' tall, energy to burn, great technial ability, great attitude to hustle and press opponents. Wenger has said he would be happy playing him right back (and he's played there for cardiff), so he's obviously got defensive instincts.

Captain

Established Member
Nela said:
ibby said:
Nela said:

Pace is probably the least important attribute for a central midfielder. It's not a part of the pitch that you can run flat out 95% of the time because it's too congested.
I'm not simply talking about "a midfielder" I'm talking about the third midfielder in our system. It's improtant to have someone of the three that can cover a lot of ground quickly. None of Fabregas, Song or Denilson can do this. When Diaby was playing well before he got injured one of the big positives was his ability to track back very quickly, covering a lot of ground at a speed, and defend. None of our other CMs can do this.

You always need pace. If it's available you take it in any position.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 24

Thomas Partey will leave this summer. Arsenal have multiple targets lined up to replace him [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are still in the market for a recognised #9 despite the recent good form of Kai Havertz [Fabrizio Romano]

The club may accept that the time is now to sell Emile Smith Rowe, with just two years left on his contract [The Athletic]

Arsenal may sanction a loan to raise Aaron Ramsdale’s value if they can’t recoup their fee for him this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal are among a host of Premier League clubs hoping to sign Irish sensation Mason Melia (16). Melia, who is already playing first-team football for St Patrick’s Athletic in the League of Ireland, cannot move to the UK until he turns 18 due to Brexit rules [Evening Standard]

Juventus like Thomas Partey, and Napoli will try to sign him before June 30 as well [Di Marzio]

Bruno Guimarães’ entourage hope to receive proposals from at least two Premier League clubs, with the player’s priority wanting to remain in England. Guimarães’ £100m release clause, which expires next month, can be paid in three annual instalments. [UOLEsporte]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom