• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Man U | Sun 31st January | 16:00

Captain

Established Member
ibby said:
Captain said:
You always need pace. If it's available you take it in any position.
My point is it's not essential for a central midfielder to be quick. If a central midfielder is quick then that's a bonus but it shouldn't determine which midfielder plays and which doesn't.

You're just handicapping yourself further should choose to go without pace there.

General

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
I dont listen to talksport but from what i'v heard of Robson on atvo, eurosport or sky, he's an excellent pundit with spot on analysis.

Indeed. Robson is very knowledgeable. Last season before we played Chelsea at SB he made Cascarino (as you know generally talks sh*t) look like an idiot with his composed analysis.

ibby

Established Member
Captain said:
You're just handicapping yourself further should choose to go without pace there.
How so? The best central midfielders in the world right now or even throughout time aren't/weren't particularly quick (barring a few exceptions), they don't have to be because the middle is usually congested (I know I'm repeating myself). Like I said, there are dozens of more important attributes than pace. Awareness, passing, stamina, work-rate naming just a few.

ricky1985

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
ricky1985 said:
Ramsey, for me, is the perfect player for the role. It's a shame he's still a year or more away from that level though.

I'd prefer that Ramsey takes a similar route as Fabregas and eventually becomes an offensive CM/AM. Ramsey is aggressive and mobile but I wouldn't want to curb the obvious offensive potential he possesses. He looks like he could become a 15-20 goals a season type of midfielder and I wouldn't want him to be shackled with as much defensive responsibility.

I do think that Diaby will eventually become the best option in the position. There was one moment that really summed up what he is capable of, he caught up to the oppositions play by making a successful tackle and then glided up the other end, finally executing an excellent long pass to Eduardo. His 6"3 frame will undoubtedly make him a huge physical asset in the midfield area, something which we could do alot more with. Many challenges tend to be 50/50's and shoulder-to-shoulders, so Diaby will definitely have an edge. Smaller players generally tend to be the underdogs in physical duels, and the midfield is where those type of battles largely takes place. A smaller player has to have the required physical qualities, otherwise he will get overpowered. A bigger player on the other hand will be favourite going into the challenges and more likely to win them and Diaby is bigger than most.
There's absolutely no doubt Diaby has everything required to become a great option. I just think Ramsey has even more to him, and Ramsey is quick for those suggesting he isn't, and when he's physically matured he'll be a really powerful player physically.

I hear what you're saying, Outlaw, about curbing his attacking tendencies, but I don't think it has to be like that. I think a dual role for Fabregas and Ramsey (or Diaby) where you get the best of both worlds with them would be ideal. Ultimately we need the 3 players, whoever they are, to have a great understanding and a balance that allows them to play their natural games but within the confides of a system that suits. And I think they'll figure that out given time and games together.

Another point, I've seen a few saying no one in our squad is capable of scoring the goal Rooney scored on Sunday, well I think Diaby is more than capable of a goal like that, and has scored similar goals before.

patrick42uk

Established Member
thegame24 said:
He says almunia is not a problem....

He says he's not the priority. Put it this way, if you had to chance to trade just one player in this squad for any other in world football, it wouldnt be Almunia you picked.

kamikaze80

Established Member
yea good call on that, ricky.

i think diaby, ramsey and fabregas will have those two advanced CM positions nailed down for the next 5 years. the sky is the limit for those three. song will own the DM position. that leaves room for nasri and someone more defense-oriented, perhaps eastmond.

thegame24

Established Member
It would actually.

Why?

Denilson can be replaced by diaby, Ramsey, Merida, Nasri, Rosicky, Pat rice, etc

Almunia is backed up by players not that great either.

In the first 11 we only need TWO definate players, goalie and another forward for the front 3.

patrick42uk

Established Member
I'd really love for Wenger to sign a player in the 27-32 age bracket who can play a CM/DM role. Someone with natural defensive instincts and tactical awareness to play next to Song. I dont think playing 2 AMs works is the best idea in the big games

Captain

Established Member
ibby said:
Captain said:
How so? The best central midfielders in the world right now or even throughout time aren't/weren't particularly quick (barring a few exceptions), they don't have to be because the middle is usually congested (I know I'm repeating myself). Like I said, there are dozens of more important attributes than pace. Awareness, passing, stamina, work-rate naming just a few.

Because it is a usable attribute both defensively and offensively. The quicker a midfielder can cover the distance from box to box, the better. The middle of the pitch is a congested area, that is correct, but this is football; being congested does not equate to having no room to move.

Del Boy

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
I'd really love for Wenger to sign a player in the 27-32 age bracket who can play a CM/DM role. Someone with natural defensive instincts and tactical awareness to play next to Song. I dont think playing 2 AMs works is the best idea in the big games
I agree. That is why I suggested Vermaelen next to Song and Campbell CB. Far more likely than us signing a player although it is also unlikely.

thegame24

Established Member
I still think Diaby is good enough to cope, but he can be replaced, Song could even be replaced but the thing costing us most this season has been Almunia.

I think hes played in all or losses? and denilson has played 4 out 5, in which he was **** in every loss.

Our biggest problem has been Almunia, then its Denilson.

patrick42uk

Established Member
thegame24 said:
It would actually.

Why?

Denilson can be replaced by diaby, Ramsey, Merida, Nasri, Rosicky, Pat rice, etc

Almunia is backed up by players not that great either.

In the first 11 we only need TWO definate players, goalie and another forward for the front 3.

I'd buy a cm/dm, striker and winger (in that order of priority) before I considered almunia. I'm not sure Denilson's potential replacements solve the problem.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:

Was thinking about this the other day but funny how signing someone like Alonso even from Liverpool would of made our midfield so much stronger. While not being top notch defensively he can definitely do a job there in that respect and is superb at initiating and starting off attacks. Though Wenger trying to be a smart arse as usual in the transfer market ruined that deal, he went on to have a great season and on to better things.

kamikaze80

Established Member
patrick, so you'd have us play a 4222? i guess eboue instead of sagna for width?

i personally don't think playing fabregas and ramsey that high up the pitch benefits their game. i think they're better playing as CMs and making runs from deep.

i wish there was a realistic way of fitting 4 CMs into a formation but i cant think of one. you always need a striker and two wide men (whether mid or forward). then you have the back five, so that leaves a max of 3 CMs.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Yeh, 4 CMs is tough to accommodate:

fail-i-told-you.jpg

What? Like this thread was still really 'on topic'.

patrick42uk

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
patrick, so you'd have us play a 4222? i guess eboue instead of sagna for width?

i personally don't think playing fabregas and ramsey that high up the pitch benefits their game. i think they're better playing as CMs and making runs from deep.

i wish there was a realistic way of fitting 4 CMs into a formation but i cant think of one. you always need a striker and two wide men (whether mid or forward). then you have the back five, so that leaves a max of 3 CMs.

I meant a more like a 4-2-1-3 more than anything else. The formation isnt important, whats important is to have an individual at our disposal who can play central midfield and whose first instinct is to defend.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom