• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs West Bromwich | 16/08/08

Lancelot

Established Member
Re: Arsenal v West Brom | 16-08-08 12:45GMT

patrick42uk said:
The clean sheet was most important for me.
I totally agree with that. It's something that the team should be proud of and will have as big of a psychological impact to the players as when you tear your opponents a new one. It basically means that you manage to keep the level of concentration high throughout the match and that you are a solid team all-round for the day.

asajoseph

Established Member

oh, stop. walcott was horrible. every good move we stringed together in the first half, came through our left side.

Didn't say that Walcott played well. Just that we had a much better shape with him no the pitch than with Toure, who basically did nothing at all.

asajoseph

Established Member

raidersoftheark said:
Didn't see the game, but happy for the 3 points, the clean sheet and Nasri.

Also, how did Djourou do? I can only surmise with his new role a the club, that Wenger is seriously making him challenge for a spot in the starting 11. I'm all for it, if he can improve the glaring weaknesses in the squad.

I thought Djourou was superb - the more assured of the back two, by far.

Jameel46

Established Member

I thought Djourou would be out when the window opened but has improved through pre-season and had a more than decent game.

The team controlled the game, created opportunities, and kept a clean sheet! and i'm sure if Eduardo/Vela played more of the chances would've been converted.

but all in all a decent start.

Jameel46

Established Member

bluenaz said:
-Shaun- said:
Does anyone else find this funny by the way? From Arsenal.com:

Arsène Wenger said:
On being under pressure…
"Is a trophy to finish 12th and win the Carling Cup?"

:lol:

:lol:

should've said 11th, and then it'd be a direct shot at Tottenham (maybe that's what he was trying to do but forgot where they finished!)

banduan

Established Member

that was indeed what he intended. he's not blind to these things

number_0

Established Member

great game, nasri was great on his debut, cant wait for him to link up with cesc, ade was poor today, but his mere presence drawed that defender out and gave denilson space for our first goal, nik wasnt poor, had some miss placed pass, but he was our best creater today along nasri, defence was ok, but we played a newly promoted team, hope wenger sees the gaps and buys, that with along the 5-6 players coming back, i think we can really sustain a title challange.

James

Established Member

Three points on the board. By no means a fantastic performance, but i'll take it for now. Let's take the positives out of it...Samir Nasri.

I shall post a 'view from the stands' thread tomorrow, i'm off out to get drunk and to laugh at Sp**s all night.

-Shaun-

The best thing is imagining his cunning smile when he said that line.

General

Established Member

asajoseph said:
oh, stop. walcott was horrible. every good move we stringed together in the first half, came through our left side.

Didn't say that Walcott played well. Just that we had a much better shape with him no the pitch than with Touré, who basically did nothing at all.

I agree with you mate. It reminded me of last season’s game at Wigan where he came on and did ef’all. He offered nothing today, even if through no fault of his own and Wenger must know better. A team of our quality should not resort to playing CB at right wing. This was one makeshift solution too far and we could’ve paid dearly today. Our defending was very good but the team looked unbalanced,even against mediocre opposition. Eboue did well and the midfield looked more solid compared to Wednesday.

sabret00the

Established Member

Interesting, it appears that Walcott has lost the support of Arsenal-Mania. Wonder how that'll effect him. Ultimately if he's not scoring, he needs to be left out. I think when you look at what he's able to offer, it's goals or nothing.

Also according to Wenger, he'll try for another signing but can't promise anything except for the fact he'll try. Ultimately i want us to get in a veteran waiting to retire. I think Denilson has what it takes to partner Cesc.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member

All things considered, I wasnt displeased with the result. Nasri looked excellent and by far the most dangerous player we had on the field. Walcott was dissapointing and Eboue yet again showing why he shouldnt be allowed the ball in front of goal, even Gallas had shots nearer then anything he could muster.

Narsi/Clichy combined very well and their link up was amazingly good when you consider how little time they've had. Denilson looked comfortable and bar 1/2 minor niggles, is proving himself more.

Was anyone else suprised with Bendtner starting the game? I wasnt expecting it (was alarmed RVP was injured again). Maybe its because he scored more in the pre-season games and it was a reward, but I wasnt sure it was the correct move.... for now.

Oh and Toure on Right midfield? didnt see that coming, wasnt sure what to make of it then or now.

gstew

sabret00the said:
Interesting, it appears that Walcott has lost the support of Arsenal-Mania. Wonder how that'll effect him. Ultimately if he's not scoring, he needs to be left out. I think when you look at what he's able to offer, it's goals or nothing.

Also according to Wenger, he'll try for another signing but can't promise anything except for the fact he'll try. Ultimately i want us to get in a veteran waiting to retire. I think Denilson has what it takes to partner Cesc.
I prefer Song over Denilson as Cesc's partner. Today against Brazil he was the best player on the pitch ahead of the stars Anderson, Ronaldinho, Marcelo and Diego. And this is not isolated, as he will certainly be in the Olympic team of the tournament just like the ACN. He just keeps improving and improving.

I am starting to believe that we are in greater need of a wide player than a DM if Wenger isn't sold on Vela out wide.

kamikaze80

Established Member

asajoseph said:
Didn't say that Walcott played well. Just that we had a much better shape with him no the pitch than with Touré, who basically did nothing at all.
not exactly a compliment, as they wouldve had a better shape with me playing RM. honestly, if eboue cuts out the diving from his game, walcott could easily take over as the monst frustrating arsenal player to watch for me. the kid just doesnt have a clue out there, and if rosickys ever healthy, walcott's not gonna get a game.

i agree that djourou looked ok, though.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member

I wouldnt mind a right sided player as Nasri and Rosicky are strongest at the left hand side if played on the wings

Very impressed by the rapport ive recieved regarding Song at the Olympics. Best player against that Brazil was he gstew?! Woah hes really come on leaps and seemed to be in CM I take it?

Overall we should of been 3 up by half time because you always feel with our defence as the game goes on or during set pieces, were likely to to crumble. Were not the best at defending a single goal lead...Really miss those days when we used to hit these kind of teams by 4 at half time and the second half was almost like a sunday stroll in a park

dutchMasta

Song has definitely come on heaps and bounds, and could well develop into a world class player. Extremely composed and very good on the ball. Times the tackles well and adds some presence to the midfield which we seriously lack now. But dunno if Wenger sees him as a DMF or CDF.

Anyway, on the match, 3 points, and we created chances, with a lot of players missing. I'm v happy with that. It's weird that nowadays though I'm looking forward more to see players like Sagna and Clichy play than our attacking players.

Pretty excited to see what Wenger has up his sleeve with the "promised" transfer too. To be honest, with Song the way he is, I'd also rather go for a winger. Creative one preferably, left footed would be even better. Still dream of Arshavin but seems he's going to the wrong team.

Swish

Established Member

sabret00the said:
Would agree, doubt Wenger would though.

Eboue is clear proof.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom