• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal vs Wolves | November 11th | KO: 16:30 GMT|

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrcopp

Monreal had played more minutes than anyone at the club when he got injured, despite not having a full pre-season. Definitely question marks about Emery's management of him in particular.

There were problems around that though. Kola was injured; AMN was injured; Jenks was injured; Litch wasn’t match fit; we didn't/ don’t have sufficient cover at CB with Mavros injured to allow Mustafi or Holding to play RB, and even then that means Bellerin LB.

Reactions: A_G

Godwin1

Very well-known
We're not ticking the way we need to be. We've been so poor in the first half of so many games this season, managed to overcome lesser opposition in the second half through individual brilliance or opposition tiring.

I think the best is yet to come from Emery, this summer transfer window will be big for him. I'd encourage people not to get disheartened when we inevitably go on a bad run.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Is spending £50m on CF in July and then another £60m in January not ambition? Making the right signings like Torreira, Leno and Sokratis is more important than aesthetics like throwing money at every Portuguese international under the sun like Wolves.

We made some of the right signings, but everyone and their mother knew we need a winger (at least one), we needed a new long-term LB and that Xhaka had two years of being extremely error prone. Our left-side was diabolical today, we had not penetrative dribbling from wide areas and Kolasinac was offering nothing from his overlaps. If we had genuine ambition of guaranteeing to get back in the top 4 we'd have addressed our issues. Wolves showed more ambition than we did because they were a promoted side, instead of just worrying about finishing 17th they've spent a lot of money to try and turn themselves into a top 10 side and progress from there. Wolves are moving faster and improving faster than we are and are showing more ambition than we are. In a couple of years times there's a genuine possibility they could be close to us unless we properly get our finger out. They've got two CM's better than one of our starting CM's.

Chelsea, Liverpool and United are not gonna wait for us to get better, they're all gonna continuously get better over the next few years. We're lucky that United have had a shambolic start to the season, because if they hadn't top 4 would be absolutely impossible for us this season. I don't think we're gonna make it regardless though. And next summer we're gonna be in a catching up position yet again where we'll be needing to spend 150-200 million if we're genuinely serious and don't believe we'll do it. You can't stay still here, you'll be left far behind. We've got so many problems in our squad witch we've failed to address or just got very temporary solutions too.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
We will never be a big club whilst Kronke squats at the Arsenal.

Emery, despite today, is doing well. But the next transfer window will take the spending clubs further away from us.

The battle for 5th place started today.

LG10

We play two dms and still concede a volume of chances similar to relegation candidates. This was the case last year as well, we haven’t improved our defending at all.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I want Ramsey back in the team. Along Auba he's really the only one in the squad whose of the ball qualities outweight his on the ball qualities. He's one of the few who roams between the lines to find and create space. In games like today's that's important. He has to start from deeper than 10, though. If Iwobi has a stinker he loses all his urgency, and Özil, Xhaka and Torreira don't provide enough verticality and penetrating movement, they're all better with the ball at feet.

And speaking of Auba, I'd want him closer to goal, Lacazette and on the shoulder of the opposition backline.

So if the team needs Torreira as ballwinner, Xhaka as distributor, Özil, Laca and Auba should start every game and right now we're relying on the fullbacks for width anyway and don't have any wingers that drive at defences bar Iwobi, I'd go straight for narrow 442 variations as the default system, instead of sticking to this kind of askew 4231.

A 4222 or 442 diamond/4312 when on the ball:

Auba Laca
Özil
Xhaka Ramsey
Torreira​

or

Auba Laca
Özil Ramsey
Xhaka Torreira​

which then reverts to a 4411 pressing formation similar to the off the ball 442 we've seen in preseason and in early games:

Laca
Özil
Auba Xhaka Torreira Ramsey​

Laca along Auba/Ramsey and the respective CM can press in threes with Özil kind of in a free passive pressing role cutting of passing lanes up front for the opposition players targeted by the more energetic players in the press.

Depending on the opposition, the 4231 with Iwobi/Mkhi for Auba/Ramsey should of course still be an option.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We play two dms and still concede a volume of chances similar to relegation candidates. This was the case last year as well, we haven’t improved our defending at all.

It’s the wide areas where the space is.

One of them DMs is slow as a turtle and we still rely on full backs to primarily provide width high up the pitch.

I still see the number 10 as a total luxury that leaves our midfield with too much work to do.

We’ll get away with it most of the time but over the course of the season we will lose a lot of points against the better sides.

ptrcopp

I would argue that lost of the time counters are intercepted or enough players get back quickly.
This just didn’t happen today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm prepared to be committed to the club at least until we go into the new stadium. For me, it’s important that the club goes in there and that I make sure the team are at a very good level. After that, whether it’s me or someone else, the club will be able to compete at the highest level. But for me to run away now would not be fair.

Arsène Wenger after extending his contract on 2004

Latest posts

Top Bottom