• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Crystal Palace vs Arsenal | 6/11/04

jasonlohkh

Gooner Fish said:
He had his man covered, his man couldn't get to the ball -

as much as having played football before - Cole shouldn't have let the ball go in. Lauren AND Toure didn't get to it and let their man through.

Why don't you look at Cole, Lauren and Toure instead because they were closer to the ball and Cygan basically had his position and his man covered - considering the front post wasn'ta danger (considering I've played football before) and Cygan's man wasn'ta liability.

Sorry but it is a scapegoat theory and you target a single defender who wasn't even occupying the danger area and wasn't markign the man who scored OR made the assist - that was KOLO, LAUREN and COLE.

Agreed!

arsenal4life

Gooner Fish said:
He had his man covered, his man couldn't get to the ball -

as much as having played football before - Cole shouldn't have let the ball go in. Lauren AND Toure didn't get to it and let their man through.

Why don't you look at Cole, Lauren and Toure instead because they were closer to the ball and Cygan basically had his position and his man covered - considering the front post wasn'ta danger (considering I've played football before) and Cygan's man wasn'ta liability.

First
he was covring no one
he was satnding there alone without anything to do just watching the ball pass over him and there was a Palace player standing there on the back post TOTALLY FREE from marking and even if Lauren did cut the ball it might reach this player who would easly scored

and if you want i'll send you the goal to watch

Second
we play with two CENTRE BACKS not two STOPPERS
i.e. we play with ZONE DEFENSE not MAN MARK
so when you play like this it's no matter who is the other team strikers
it's about who acts as a striker evern if he was actually a defender

Third
in the game i was follow Cygan's off ball movements......ZERO
he moves like he never played football, always caught up in posession and late to cover
anyone saw where he was during their goal.......this really make me laugh

Forth
in my first post i was replaying on the one who said Cyagn was motm
so i was totally disagree this doesn't mean that the goal was only his fault
it began when Vieira missed the ball strangely(1) Cole didn't do anything to prevent the cross (2) Lauren let the player to score easly (3) while all these Cygan was like a lost child just watched the ball like us (4)

the only one not to blame in this goal was Toure, he was marking Johnson which didn't involve in the play

but i'm speakin on his overall performance
BIG ZERO

Johnson started off the play - he won the ball and Toure was also marking someone else.

I think you were watching a wrong game. You're just making up excuses so you can blam Cygan. I bet you'd say Cygan was to blame because he blinked while sitting on the bench. In the mind of a scapegoat that'd always find some reason.

OK

One

ok let's say he was standing there marking no - one. If that's the case, as you put it, why blame him?

Two

Yes we play with 2 center halves. You later say we play zonal marking. You are contradicting yourself. Considering Cygan was in the box, marking a significant zone why was it Ralph and Kolo running in following players who were integral in the goal.

Three

I can't believe you can say this about Cygan. It has no relevance at all but importantly it highlights your hatred for Cygan - nothing more. It's a silly statement for a player who has been integral in some of Arsenal bigger wins during a successful campaign. All your third point highlights is your hatred for Cygan, that being unreasonable irrational hatred at that.

Four

First you say we play zonal marking and then you blame Cygan for the goal? You can't have it both ways.

You highlight Vieira loses the ball - FACT
Cole does nothing about the assist - FACT
Our other defenders didn't do anything about the goal - FACT

Cygan was zonally marking but also had his man covered. He did track with the ball - everything right considering the situation.

The situation is the of the most importance, which was, Palace were attacking - any loose ball is dangerous in that situation so you can't expect any player to just kick a ball loosely when you are outmanned by the attack - as was the situation here.

In this situation you can only count on your players marking players and dominating them. Cygan dominated his players - what about the rest of our players?

Also Cygan had Johnson in his pocket for most of the game but you wouldn't see that, considering the psychological reasoning of scapegoating.

James

Established Member
Cygan has absolutely no clue what he's doing the majority of the time. With 5 minutes to go, we were attacking but Palace looked dangerous on the counter. Cygan was the last defender and was stood 10 yards into Palace's half, leaving Johnson free on the halfway line for any counter. It wasn't until Pat Rice shouted at him that he realised

nvm the defense, i think its worse to see that we could not break down crystal palace and th14 is looking seriously bored or something...thank goodness we playing the ****ers next week (who have no manager and are on 5 losses on the trot hahaha :lol: )

arsenal4life

Gooner Fish said:
Johnson started off the play - he won the ball and Toure was also marking someone else.

again this a zone defnese not man marking
Johnson won the ball from Vieira in the midfield
was Toure suppose to be beside Vieira to prevent Johnson from winning the ball !!!!!!!!!

Gooner Fish said:
One

ok let's say he was standing there marking no - one. If that's the case, as you put it, why blame him?

you must be kidding
a defender and there is a attack on him
and was marking no one !!!!!!!!!

Gooner Fish said:
Yes we play with 2 center halves. You later say we play zonal marking. You are contradicting yourself. Considering Cygan was in the box, marking a significant zone why was it Ralph and Kolo running in following players who were integral in the goal.

i won't describe the difference between zona defense and man marking now
Toure was marking Johnson
Lauren was marking the scorer-don't know his name- ( of course this is a fault from Lauren one from the four fualts i counted above which caused the goal)
Cygan was watching the game !!!!!!!

Gooner Fish said:
I can't believe you can say this about Cygan. It has no relevance at all but importantly it highlights your hatred for Cygan - nothing more. It's a silly statement for a player who has been integral in some of Arsenal bigger wins during a successful campaign. All your third point highlights is your hatred for Cygan, that being unreasonable irrational hatred at that.

what is the wrong here
i believe he's the weak link
so i followed him especially during the match to decide whether i'm right or wrong

Gooner Fish said:
First you say we play zonal marking and then you blame Cygan for the goal? You can't have it both ways.

don't see your point

Gooner Fish said:
Cygan was zonally marking but also had his man covered. He did track with the ball - everything right considering the situation.

what was Cygan doing when Palace attack of the goal
please till me

Gooner Fish said:
In this situation you can only count on your players marking players and dominating them. Cygan dominated his players - what about the rest of our players?

again the goal isn't one man fault
there were four faults which caused the goal
among them were Cygan

I would say Cygan could have done better as well, but others could have as well.

The scored an Arsenal goal against Arsenal. On the break - and it was a decent goal too.

James

Established Member
The chance they had straight after the goal. You watch Johnson just walk straight behind Cygan who is ball watching. We're lucky that the guy missed when it was easier to score

lee1001

Established Member
Just saw the highlights on Arsenal.com.

Several points. It was Vieira who lost possesion twice in midfield. The first time it looked like he may have been pulled back but the quality of the footage wasn't good enoguh to be sure. Second time, it was after poor play from several players involved with a bit of head tennis. But again with Vieira's strength he shouldld'nt have lost possesion.

I purposly watched our defenders when they two corsses came in for the goal and almost-goal. They all watch the ball. Lauren is especialy guilty of this. None of them watch the opposition players running into the box. Surely this is basic defending along with set pieces. Wenger has created a wonderfuly attacking team but i wonder if there is anybody in the coaching team that is tacticaly asstute when it comes to defending. Strange as wasn't Wenger a defender when he played??

patrick42uk

Established Member
sorry but that has nothing to do with defensive tactic. it was as you pointed out loss of concentration which isnt a tactical error. i'v seen juve and milan concede silly set piece goals this season due to lack of concentration and they are both reknowned for beind defensively good.

AFCG7

Established Member
A series of errors led to the goal and the other goal chance.
Vieira lost the ball on both occasions
Cole was roasted by Lakis for the cross that led to Rihilati's equalizer.
Cole was again beaten by Johnson for the second chance.
Cygan positionally was not the best but i doubt he could stop the second chance when JOhnson cut it back at pace after beating Cole.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom