• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester City vs Arsenal | 04/05/06

Tegh

Established Member
Phil said:
The Van Persie finger is true. I saw it.
I was in the Stand opposite the bench.

VP had a bad game...but mainly because he was constantly being "roughed up" by Sommeil. At one point, following a string of 3 fouls on him in 10 minutes, he got the ball in centre circle, from a quick Arsenal break. Henry sprinted off on the left, Freddie to the right. The three blue shirts all went towards RvP, who seemed fully capable of turning and placing a killer ball.

Sommeil just grabbed him by the waist and pulled him backwards. preventing a probable goalscoring opportunity.

RvP was livid. The City fans were livid, because they had just wasted a good opportunity, and they felt that RvP had dived. He hadn't.

He was never the same afterwards, and got embroiled in long chats with Poll.
Good post Phil.
The ball RVP played to Eboue down the right flank in acres of space was inch perfect, it was just a shame Eboue couldn't deliver a killer ball infront of Thierry as opposed to behind him.

I don't think RVP had a bad game persay, he was marked quite tightly, and whenever he got the ball he tried to be unselfish. I think that since returning from injury it's been hard for Wenger to pick him above Adebayor who seems to have the better partnership with Thierry at the moment.

Until he gets a decent run of games, and a goal, we wont see the same confident, cocky, arrogant Van Persie that most of us love. His confidence in his own ability is his best asset in my opinion, he thinks he can take the world on, and he's got the ability, It's not like we havent seen it - he's scored some remarkable solo goals.

It was silly to give the City fans the finger, but I like it. He's a passionate player with a volatile temper, and that's another thing that makes him good. You don't want to get him angry, because like Thierry, he'll tear you a new one.

That Sommeill was a dirty git, and I wanted someone to give him some aggro, Van Persie would have wasted him at half time had it not been for everyone holding him back.

When Van Persie came out in the second half, Henry, Cole and Sol had given him a talking to, telling him to calm down - which was nice to see, although I like him when he's in a bad mood. Whatever was said to him at half time seemed to do the trick, he tested the keeper twice within five minutes, being selfish as opposed to the first half where he looked to play in a team-mate EVERYTIME.

Because he's not a first choice starter right now, he probably thinks he needs to play more of a team-player role, feeding the ball to Thierry and the wingers. He could have gone on to have a few shots all by himself a couple of times in the first half, but instead he tried to thread in a team-mate. Take for instance the great bit of skill by Thierry where he beat three men, then layed it off to RVP infront of goal. As soon as he got the ball I thought, this is it, first time strike with power over the keeper, goal, you beauty. But no, he turned on himself and pulled it back to Henry who shot wide.

How many of us were surprised that he didn't whack it full blast into the net? I sure as hell was.

He was playing for a spot in the CL Final, and he tried to be unselfish to get that spot. His unpredictability is another of his best assets, and he's one of the few players we have willing to shoot outside the area, or go it alone. Sometimes that's what you need in a team, as our passing around the box is predictable, and often easy to defend against if you're facing a quality side.

Please, please, please RVP. Be the arrogant, cocky, selfish **** we all know you can be. Stay true to yourself and the goals will come my son, you're better than Ade.

jgunner84

Cos that's his job, it's clear he's got a problem with Reyes but I don't give a s**t as long as they perform together on the pitch like last night. What I couldn't understand was his reluctance to pass to van Persie. I mean my man turned into Maradona last night - considering he and others always bang on about early passes I found it strange that there wasn't many aimed towards van Persie.

People like me? Jesus I argue down the pub that he's the best player in the world, over and above the Brazilian, but he's not f****g infallable. The sun does not shine out of his arse. He does make mistakes and he does put in s**t performances.

Actually you want to criticise him do it for the right reasons. For example Henry hasn't scored in a cup final. Also his international form with France isn't something to brag about. But even after scoring goals AND providing assists he has to endure criticism about he snubbed van persie and so on!!!

I mean for ffs its not like van persie was having the game of his life or anything. First of all you must realise that every player has bad performances. Van persie had one of them and if he is not going to score what's the point?? You need to realise bad games are a part of football and he can improve a lot in future but at present he is not looking ready. Stop providing excuses!

marco

We were drawing one all in a must win game and VAn persie is walking off the pitch slower than Bayern Munich did at highbury last week.

The abuse i was shouting at the tv at that moment was unbelivable.
Maybe i expect too much from the guy- but v man utd and Sp**s he missed gilt edged chances at critical times during the game that cost us.
He came on vs villareal and didnt move i dont think.
He is so reliant on the left foot its unbelivable.
Maybe im just noticing it more now cos the games are so important and he isnt performing at all

Also for everyone defending him, no one has yet mentioned to me a game when van persie started and played well.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
marco said:
Gunner4Eva said:
invisibleman18 said:
It annoys you that we have one of the world's best left backs and he is back fit?
I understand your point though. I don't think he will start the CL final tbh. Think it will be Clichy.
As for the World Cup, who are the alternatives?

I'd dry hump the Australian Prime Minister John Howard if Ashley Cole doesn't start in the Champions League Final. :wink:

Yeah it annoys me because he has shpwn zero commitment to the club and will be off in the summer.
Flamini has done an admirable job at left back and obviously cole is a lot better just dont like the guy,
he plays under ten games for us in a season yet plays champ league final and world cup before going to chelsea in the summer.

If he's fit, he should play. This might sound a tad harsh, but Flamini did his job, he replaced both Clichy and Cole, and did an absolutely fantastic job. Now he should step aside.

When the time comes to improve your team, you do it, especially for the Champions League Final. Flamini just doesn't offer what Cole does going forward, and he will be needed in the Final to go forward and attack the Barca full-backs. He'd of had sufficient matches to improve his fitness, and should line up alongside Sol.

marco

Gurgen said:
Sunderland home.
West Ham home.
Wigan away.

And others I can't think of right now.

I did say other than sunderland home,
west ham home- good first 20 mins,

hollow

Tegh said:
Phil said:

VP had a bad game...but mainly because he was constantly being "roughed up" by Sommeil. At one point, following a string of 3 fouls on him in 10 minutes, he got the ball in centre circle, from a quick Arsenal break. Henry sprinted off on the left, Freddie to the right. The three blue shirts all went towards RvP, who seemed fully capable of turning and placing a killer ball.

Sommeil just grabbed him by the waist and pulled him backwards. preventing a probable goalscoring opportunity.

RvP was livid. The City fans were livid, because they had just wasted a good opportunity, and they felt that RvP had dived. He hadn't.

Good post Phil.
The ball RVP played to Eboue down the right flank in acres of space was inch perfect, it was just a shame Eboue couldn't deliver a killer ball infront of Thierry as opposed to behind him.

I don't think RVP had a bad game persay, he was marked quite tightly, and whenever he got the ball he tried to be unselfish. I think that since returning from injury it's been hard for Wenger to pick him above Adebayor who seems to have the better partnership with Thierry at the moment.

Until he gets a decent run of games, and a goal, we wont see the same confident, cocky, arrogant Van Persie that most of us love. His confidence in his own ability is his best asset in my opinion, he thinks he can take the world on, and he's got the ability, It's not like we havent seen it - he's scored some remarkable solo goals.

It was silly to give the City fans the finger, but I like it. He's a passionate player with a volatile temper, and that's another thing that makes him good. You don't want to get him angry, because like Thierry, he'll tear you a new one.

That Sommeill was a dirty git, and I wanted someone to give him some aggro, Van Persie would have wasted him at half time had it not been for everyone holding him back.

When Van Persie came out in the second half, Henry, Cole and Sol had given him a talking to, telling him to calm down - which was nice to see, although I like him when he's in a bad mood. Whatever was said to him at half time seemed to do the trick, he tested the keeper twice within five minutes, being selfish as opposed to the first half where he looked to play in a team-mate EVERYTIME.

Because he's not a first choice starter right now, he probably thinks he needs to play more of a team-player role, feeding the ball to Thierry and the wingers. He could have gone on to have a few shots all by himself a couple of times in the first half, but instead he tried to thread in a team-mate. Take for instance the great bit of skill by Thierry where he beat three men, then layed it off to RVP infront of goal. As soon as he got the ball I thought, this is it, first time strike with power over the keeper, goal, you beauty. But no, he turned on himself and pulled it back to Henry who shot wide.

How many of us were surprised that he didn't whack it full blast into the net? I sure as hell was.

He was playing for a spot in the CL Final, and he tried to be unselfish to get that spot. His unpredictability is another of his best assets, and he's one of the few players we have willing to shoot outside the area, or go it alone. Sometimes that's what you need in a team, as our passing around the box is predictable, and often easy to defend against if you're facing a quality side.

Please, please, please RVP. Be the arrogant, cocky, selfish c**t we all know you can be. Stay true to yourself and the goals will come my son, you're better than Ade.

1. RVP was at an acute angle. Henry was in a better position, he made the right choice. If anybody was to blame it was Henry for his rubbish finishing. He tried to curl it into the far post but all of the defense had over committed in and effort to block RVP's shot, so a low drive into the near post would have been better IMO.

2. Maybe he is adapting his game to suit Henry. Good. In five years time when RVP's the best player in the world I'm sure some Theo Walcott will be adapting his game to play with him. You don't base your team's playing style around your squad players, which RVP at the moment is.

3. I'm all for passion, but |I've never been impressed by petulance. This isn't just about RVP, I can't stand it when Rooney loses control and people try and make that if he stops having tantrums he'll be half the player. I was livid when he was casually walking off last night to milk the crowd. We needed the points badly. When he's wound up he seems to get tunnel vision which is often counter-productive.

Gunner4Eva

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Sunderland home.
West Ham home.
Wigan away.

And others I can't think of right now.

van Persie was splendid against Wigan away. I still remember that game very well.

Tegh

Established Member
marco said:
We were drawing one all in a must win game and VAn persie is walking off the pitch slower than Bayern Munich did at highbury last week.

The abuse i was shouting at the tv at that moment was unbelivable.
Maybe i expect too much from the guy- but v man utd and Sp**s he missed gilt edged chances at critical times during the game that cost us.
He came on vs villareal and didnt move i dont think.
He is so reliant on the left foot its unbelivable.
Maybe im just noticing it more now cos the games are so important and he isnt performing at all

Also for everyone defending him, no one has yet mentioned to me a game when van persie started and played well.
Ok.
Fair enough, he should have got off the pitch quicker, he was pissed off at the time so I doubt he thought about it much. I could be wrong there, so dont slate me over it, as I have said he was wrong to take so long.

As for missing these chances, Adebayor has had some pretty woeful misses, Portsmouth springs to mind..four chances on a plate, ****s every one of them up.

I don't really want to turn it into a comparison thread, but they're both playing for the same spot, so why not? Van Persie is far more clinical than Ade is, Ade's first touch is appalling, as is his general technique, he seems to scuff most things - take his assist for Henry vs Tottenham. None of his goals have been spectacular, they've been scruffy, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong please), in games we've won by a couple of goals.

Now, RVP is the better player, but he's more selfish, and as he's not yet match fit since returning from injury and has yet to find himself - he's not started ahead of Ade. Ade seems to have a better relationship/understanding with Henry, even though he doesn't hold a candle to RVP's talent, in my opinion.

You mentioned a few matches as examples of when he's been poor, but that's because he hasn't been match fit, and he's not going to unless he gets a run of games in the side. Once he grabs a goal, his performances will get better. Take Freddie last night, scored that goal, then took a few pot shots at goal (once hitting the post) when he'd usually have been AFRAID to strike, it this season.

''Also for everyone defending him, no one has yet mentioned to me a game when van persie started and played well.''

When have we last seen him play well? Before the injury.
How often does he start? Not often.
At the end of last season he and Reyes got a good partnership going and they played well together, getting a few goals each.

Gurgen

Established Member
Unfortunately people only remember what they want to remember.

I agree with hollow though, RvP needs to work on his attitude. He was wound up so easily by Sommeil last night. It's happened to him before as a young player, and often the next step was punching the defender in the face.

The commentator on Dutch TV summed it up very well last night: 'Van Persie is an honest boy and he doesn't like injustice'. :lol:

When Henry gets wound up, he starts playing really well, he becomes an inspiration, he 'plays it off' so to speak. When RvP is wound up, he only sees the goal, he loses his composure and his aggression starts to get the better of him. Then it all starts to go wrong.

Still, Robin has done very well. I can't recall that he let himself go this season, until yesterday. In the past it all boiled over quicker.

Tegh

Established Member
hollow said:
Tegh said:
Phil said:

Good post Phil.

Please, please, please RVP. Be the arrogant, cocky, selfish c**t we all know you can be. Stay true to yourself and the goals will come my son, you're better than Ade.

1. RVP was at an acute angle. Henry was in a better position, he made the right choice. If anybody was to blame it was Henry for his rubbish finishing. He tried to curl it into the far post but all of the defense had over committed in and effoert to block RVP's shot, so a low drive into the near post would have been better IMO.

2. Maybe he is adapting his game to suit Henry. Good. In five years time when RVP's the best player in the world I'm sure some Theo Walcott will be adapting his game to play with him. You don't base your team's playing style around your squad players, which RVP at the moment is.

3. I'm all for passion, but |I've never been impressed by petulance. This isn't just about RVP, I can't stand it when Rooney loses control and people try and make that if he stops having tantrums he'll be half the player. I was livid when he was casually walking off last night to milk the crowd. We nedded the points badly. When he's wound up he seems to get tunnel vision which is often counter-productive.
1. Acute angle? Goals against Blackburn, Man City last year, and various other strikes from RVP show he's not afraid to shoot from an acute angle. Last night was down to his low confidence, and the fact he thinks he needs to pass the ball to his team-mates more - otherwise he doesn't think he'll get to play.

2. Maybe he is adapting his game to suit Henry.
What's the point if it makes him half the player? The fact he is his own player and person makes him the player he is. Take away his arrogance, cockyness, and confidence, and he's not the player he can be. I do understand where you're coming from though, and it is a hard point to argue against.

3. I've said all I can with regards to that, you've got me on the ropes. I do not believe though that if you take away Rooney or RVP's temprament that they will be the same player, that's what makes them tick. That's what makes them want the ball, that's what makes them do something special with the ball to shove it down the fans throats'.

Legend#1

Established Member
marco said:

When he got player of the month, he was starting every game.

Legend#1

Established Member
Gurgen said:
Unfortunately people only remember what they want to remember.

I agree with hollow though, RvP needs to work on his attitude. He was wound up so easily by Sommeil last night. It's happened to him before as a young player, and often the next step was punching the defender in the face.

The commentator on Dutch TV summed it up very well last night: 'Van Persie is an honest boy and he doesn't like injustice'. :lol:

When Henry gets wound up, he starts playing really well, he becomes an inspiration, he 'plays it off' so to speak. When RvP is wound up, he only sees the goal, he loses his composure and his aggression starts to get the better of him. Then it all starts to go wrong.

Still, Robin has done very well. I can't recall that he let himself go this season, until yesterday. In the past it all boiled over quicker.

Summed up perfectly.

jgunner84

I think it is immature to blame Henry if Persie is not scoring goals. Maybe Wenger is at fault because he may not like selfish playing from strikers. Maybe Wenger likes more of a team man.

James

Established Member
marco said:
Yeah it annoys me because he has shpwn zero commitment to the club and will be off in the summer.
Flamini has done an admirable job at left back and obviously cole is a lot better just dont like the guy,
he plays under ten games for us in a season yet plays champ league final and world cup before going to chelsea in the summer.
Exactly how i feel Marco. Wouldn't say i dislike the guy, it just annoys me to see him playing at the moment.

Just watching SSN, berret man makes yet another appearance. He was hopping around to every empty seat with his sombrero. Nutta.

Tegh

Established Member
jgunner, Henry's not solely to blame. I don't want it to sound like I'm singling Henry out, but some of his public interviews where he's hit out at ''team-mates'' for being selfish leave little to the imagination, and it's obvious who he's referring to. Now, that's just my take on it, many people will disagree with it.

I feel RVP is trying to change his game so that he's more of a team-player in the hope that he'll get picked to play/start more often. As I've said above, I feel that makes him less effective as a striker, as I feel one of his best attributes is his confidence in his own game.

EDIT: The other reasons I feel he's doing that, are because of the interviews, or maybe something has been said to him behind the scenes. Fact is, at the start of the second half he went alone twice, as opposed to looking to pass the ball to a team-mate, so clearly something was said to him at half time, and I'm glad.

jgunner84

Tegh said:
jgunner, Henry's not solely to blame. I don't want it to sound like I'm singling Henry out, but some of his public interviews where he's hit out at ''team-mates'' for being selfish leave little to the imagination, and it's obvious who he's referring to. Now, that's just my take on it, many people will disagree with it.

I feel RVP is trying to change his game so that he's more of a team-player in the hope that he'll get picked to play/start more often. As I've said above, I feel that makes him less effective as a striker, as I feel one of his best attributes is his confidence in his own game.

But why would he do that? We have seen that in many matches when other people score in fact Henry goes absolutely ballistic. He provides assists as well. So why would he be offended by selfish play?

Rohit

Established Member
RVP is lethal in and around the box,always has been.He started of really badly last night,when he was trying to drop deep and link up play from the midfield to Henry.
He looked way better though when he started playing on the shoulder of the last defender,with Henry dropping a bit deeper and creating chances by passing to RVP on the edge of the box,although RVP himself has the ability to conjure chances for himself when the ball is passed to him around the box.
His comparisons with Bergkamp are simply not right,they are not in the same mould,he plays very well playing on the shoulder of the last defender and thats why Reyes and RVP worked so well at the back end of last season.

He simply did not have a good game last night and after that scuffle with Sommeil he simply lost the plot as Gurgen pointed out.He lost focus.

There were times when he was caught offside when he really should'nt have been.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom