• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Manchester United vs Arsenal | 09/04/06

Arnie

Captain said:
Arnie said:
Both have very small footballing brains!!

Not at all; Adebayor has very good game intelligence. You have to question the game intelligence of the player doing five-a-side skills in a competitive 11-a-side game. It wasn't Adebayor.

By that do you mean the guy who tried to flick the ball into the goal and fell on his arse, looking like a fool?

Tegh

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
theodore said:
I'm also surprised Reyes wasn't even on the bench. He will be suspended for the first leg in CL so i don't know why he's being rested.

Saving him for Portsmouth (he usually scores against them), or maybe it was the fact he was utter gash in midweek?

And did anyone else notice what Ljungberg's first contribution to the match was?
Indeed, Reyes was utter tripe vs Juventus, as was Pires yesterday. Reyes has played a lot of games recently and I suppose it made sense resting him for Pires. Shame we couldn't have given Kolo and Cesc a rest from the start of the game, both look absolutely knackered yesterday.

I don't mean to put Adebayor down, he's gotten better with every game and he's already got four or five goals. He seems to be settling well and tries to make things happen. One instance in the first half where Ade received the ball and spurned a simple pass wide during an opportunity to counter attack sticks in my mind. The pass was woeful, it went straight to Silvestre who was about 10yards inside of RVP who the pass was aimed at. His passing does need work, but it'll get there eventually. He continues to challenge every aerial ball (as you'd expect), and he tries to close down opponents whenever possible. He holds the ball up well also, waiting for players to join the attack which is something we've benefited from of late.

RVP is quality, he is a very selfish player and I do admit he should be a little less selfish in certain situations, but how many times has he scored a solo goal where you'd have thought we'd hit a dead end? He will learn to become less selfish eventually, I don't think even he is that stubborn. If, like some of you seem to believe, that his 'selfishness' will cost him a place in the starting line up - then I'm sure he'll remedy it and become more of a team player. However this doesn't happen over night, and he is a player who wants to take the game to his opponents. If we don't look like doing anything and he believes (and rightly so) that he can produce something on his own, then by all means I think he should go for it.

Yesterday he wasn't great, but the service was tosh, and we never honestly looked like scoring after the first 15minutes. Even then, most our efforts were hopeful at best, and were pot shots from RVP when nothing else was on. You cant expect a lot from strikers who don't get the right balls. Rooney was given the right ball twice, and he made sure he capitalised. We just didn't have a decent final ball, and too many times this season we've not made enough of our chances.

Rooney made the difference, because their midfield wasn't even that good.

EDIT:
Arnie said:
Captain said:
Arnie said:
Both have very small footballing brains!!

Not at all; Adebayor has very good game intelligence. You have to question the game intelligence of the player doing five-a-side skills in a competitive 11-a-side game. It wasn't Adebayor.

By that do you mean the guy who tried to flick the ball into the goal and fell on his arse, looking like a fool?
To be honest, there wasn't much else he could do about it. The ball came to him with a lot of speed and he didn't have time to turn and pass it into the net so he reacted with his gut instinct. Had it gone in, everyone would be hailing him the second coming of Jesus. Shame Thierry wasn't switched on behind him, as he could have knocked it in. However, he'd not been on long and hadn't even touched the ball.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
How many goals have rooney scored this year compared to the games he has started? This boy is talented but way too overhyped. Yesterday's MaNure formation worked well for Rooney cos he had a free role. To blame our defense for not marking him tight is football ignorance. He wasn't the second striker he had freedom of movement and the only player in our team suited to mark him would have been gilberto. But all in all, unless you are a brit..even Stevie wonders knows that rooney is way overhyped.

He still is a good player though. RvP is the most clinical striker amongst alll our strikers. But he doesnt add too much else upfront at times when we need him. I am 100% a Herny/Ade combination yesterday would have caused them more damage.

All in all they were able to move into SECOND gear and we werent for obvious reasons. This is one of the very few times a loss to Manure has not bothered me as much. Its a game we could afford to lose..the **** will lose to Manure..so we just have to make sure we will all our games. And we can.

Give the players a break...they deserve it.

Mbaki- must we keep telling you? You know the rules mate..RtC

Captain

Established Member
Arnie said:

No, the guy who didn't pass once and tried to trick his way past 3/4 players everytime before wasting possession by shooting.

Tegh

Established Member
Rooney is overhyped, but he is still an exceptional talent.

I'll tell you how bothered I am about this loss after I watch the boys play vs Portsmouth and then Villareal. I hope our confidence isn't shattered.

Edit:
Captain said:
Arnie said:

No, the guy who didn't pass once and tried to trick his way past 3/4 players everytime before wasting possession by shooting.
But he had nothing ahead of him, he was up there on his own with Ade tightly marked. RVP doesn't hold the ball up, he's impatient, he wants to make things happen. He had every right to go alone and shoot, God knows he has the ability to score from there, we've seen it enough.

Captain

Established Member
I can remember three clear occasions when Eboue and Hleb were open for an easy pass and RvP checked back and ran into a wall of ManU defenders who promptly tackled him.

He is talented, but that sort of play is exactly why he isn't first choice.

Tegh

Established Member
The reason he isn't first choice is because he was injured for over a month and Adebayor came into the side and took advantage of this opportunity. Now RVP lacks match fitness and match practise. That is the reason.

14teranga

The really down part is that it seems the team does not really know how much we hate to lose against manU. I hate to lose to them, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I hate it and I hate it.
They really should fight and die on man U games if it is necessary.

Anyway it is still.... arsenal for life!

Feis-al

Somehow I feel most posts here are suffering from recent fatigue. We lost but then we focus on the next game and life goes on. We have one hell of a fixture and I would be more gutted to lose to Villareal

Captain

Established Member
Tegh said:
The reason he isn't first choice is because he was injured for over a month and Adebayor came into the side and took advantage of this opportunity. Now RVP lacks match fitness and match practise. That is the reason.

I'd say that the first choice players are the ones who very rarely miss a game irrespective of form/fitness. Lehman, Toure, Gilberto, Cesc, Henry, Cole, Lauren.

Everyone else is a squad player at the moment.

Tegh

Established Member
But what you were saying is that Ade's chosen above RVP because RVP is a selfish player. That's absolute tosh, as explained in my post replying to that statement.

Captain

Established Member
Captain said:
He is talented, but that sort of play is exactly why he isn't first choice.

You have to help me here, I'm struggling to see where I said anything about RvP being first choice in relation to Adebayor.

We have dropped RvP many times before; even before he was injured or Adebayor came to the club.

He has never been first choice; just a squad player, like I said above.

putra_sas

IMO both adebayor and persie are both same brand of players...

if you notice. both of them like to play centrally. adebayor was used by Deschamps as a RF(right forward) but it doesn't work.

when henry play adebayor/persie we can see a compatible combination. henry loves to play close to the side. that is why henry and reyes rarely understand each other.

BECAUSE they play in the same position. i would have prefer adebayor/persie to partner reyes last night. if wenger insist to rest henry.

Double_H

Established Member
Reyes didnt play Yesterday because he is cant play the first leg aginst Villareal and he looked Tired aginst Juve

it will be Aginst Portsmouth
Jens
Eboue Toure Phill Flamini
Hleb Gilberto Cesc Reyes
Henry Ade

aginst WBA
JENS
Gilbert Sol Djoure Flamini
Freddie Gilberto Diaby Reyes
Ade bergkamp ( since its his day )

so basicly the WBA game he will rest Most of our players and try to finish the first Leg at highbury

RockyRocastle

Established Member
Really the result in this game doesnt matter. If we beat Portsmouth it is all still in our hands.

That is the big game, and if we lose that then is the time to worry. You just have to write yesterday off - we were expected to lose and we did, and I think Wenger knew.

We started very well, had a few half chances and were the better team. Then we simply tired and they took advantage of it.

Gooner for 60 years

Feis-al said:
Somehow I feel most posts here are suffering from recent fatigue. We lost but then we focus on the next game and life goes on. We have one hell of a fixture and I would be more gutted to lose to Villareal

That's for sure.

awooga83

Established Member
I really never thought we would get much from this game maybe at best a draw and we didn't so , iagree the realtest is on Wednesday.

Whats funny is that we have been way behind United in terms of consistency and performances for most of the season so it isn't to surprising that we lost at Old Trafford but considering we are having our worst season for quite a while we weren't too bad al least in the first 20 minutes and were it not for Rooney this might have been a draw.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom