• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Reading vs Arsenal | 22/10/06

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
My problem is not with people's opinions of him Lukazan - it's with people's criticisms of his performances that have absolutely no grounding in what he's actually done on the pitch.

I mean 'gives away the ball 80% of the time' 'can't pass 5 yards to save his life' 'can't trap a ball' 'isn't Arsenal quality' etc etc.

These are just simply untrue.

Nothing to do whether you or I think he's good enough.

qs

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:
My problem is not with people's opinions of him Lukazan - it's with people's criticisms of his performances that have absolutely no grounding in what he's actually done on the pitch.

I mean 'gives away the ball 80% of the time' 'can't pass 5 yards to save his life' 'can't trap a ball' 'isn't Arsenal quality' etc etc.

These are just simply untrue.

Nothing to do whether you or I think he's good enough.

Arent they the same thing?

You say Gilberto has bad games and loses the ball sometimes but I have yet to see one meaningful contribution from Song. And Im not jsut basing that on the Reading game. He played full games toward the end of last season.

You keep going on about Wenger signing him as proof he's good enough but if thats true then why buy Denilson this summer whos around the same age and plays in the same position?

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
one of the mates who went to the carling cup game said that song looked solid and was actually providing neat, through balls to other players...

perhaps song is too good for the reserves but is still far away from our 1st team but there's still time for him to improve... 18 years old? he can wait...

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
He did something pretty meaningful in the Reading game in the 88th minute.

Denilson isn't a DM. Every game he's played for Arsenal so far he hasn't been a DM. And I'll put my bet on the majority of Arsenal games he plays in the future won't be as a DM.

Diaby's the one that should be worried.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Vid links sent qs.

Incidentally, more confirmation he did well last night:

Alexandre Song also went about his job impressively, thwarting West Brom's tenacious attacks and bringing the ball out of defensive areas with poise. Unfortunately, he will probably continue to be ridiculed by those of you who have never seen him play! In fact, he was very Gilberto like, quietly industrious, but inestimably effective.

http://www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... sp?a=35213

But the same old tired ridicule (funnily enough 'by those of you who have never seen him play') in the comments section.

kel varnsen

Established Member
YuenBiaoFan said:
Vid links sent qs.

Alexandre Song also went about his job impressively, thwarting West Brom's tenacious attacks and bringing the ball out of defensive areas with poise. Unfortunately, he will probably continue to be ridiculed by those of you who have never seen him play! In fact, he was very Gilberto like, quietly industrious, but inestimably effective.

to say that song is 'very gilberto like' is an insult to gilberto and proves that this guy knows very little about football. one of gilberto's greatest strengths, is his positioning ability, great range, cover space and just generally break up attacks. song lacks the mobility, intelligence and mentality to even come close to do what gilberto does. song is completely unable to give the back four even the slightest of protection, something that is down right vital to any defensive midfielder.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
I'm starting to rate Song, I must say. Looked like a deer in headlights last season, but seems to be relaxing now and I'm seeing quality in him.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Leaving aside the lazy stereotype (though I'll assume that he meant typical of a Wenger African player, which I wouldn't argue too much with) does 'he controlled the midfield' and his rating not say enough of his performance?

You can get more off him on the AWIMB board - Nicosia Gooner did them...

kel varnsen said:
YuenBiaoFan said:
Vid links sent qs.

to say that song is 'very gilberto like' is an insult to gilberto and proves that this guy knows very little about football. one of gilberto's greatest strengths, is his positioning ability, great range, cover space and just generally break up attacks. song lacks the mobility, intelligence and mentality to even come close to do what gilberto does. song is completely unable to give the back four even the slightest of protection, something that is down right vital to any defensive midfielder.

I take it you were not at the game the last night numnuts? Best player on the pitch.

I won't argue about his ability to keep the ball (something Gil is poor at too) but his strengths are exactly what you say he can't do.. Positioning, covering, breaking up attacks. He did all that AND more last night.

I think you need to up your medication pal, it clearly isn't working!

Chips&CurrySauce

Its quite hilarious how people dismiiss players based on a couple of substitute appearances last season...

The guy is 19 years old and I really don't understand what people expect from him.. People decided to write him off and to save face they refuse to admit that they were atleast a little hasty in their opinion. I'm not saying Song will make it as there is real top talent in out squad, but to describe him as 'terribly average' is not only a contradiction in terms, but it is also totally baseless.

If you've seen the reading game and our pre season games you'd realise that his performances have been solid and on Tuesday he was specifically picked out by Arsène as being one of our best performers..

Wenger had him on loan for a whole year, every coach at Arsenal would have analised his game and they obviously felt he was worth the investment, but hey what do they know when we have our very own top coaches on this board who seemingly know far more than us clueless laymen...

arsenal22

i feel that you are all too fickle and write off players too soon!! look at Hoyte, he was playing dangerously out of position... i mean he's RIGHT footed for gods sake!! and he gets nothing but abuse and critisism!! then put him back in his natural domaine with a few games under his belt and he does not look out of position on the pitch, more so he plays better than most of the players you "rave" about!! he only needed a good run of games and his confidence and performance is up!! i really rate him and think he is going from strength to strentgh and could easily be a world class player!!
Then theres Song, a few bad games and you're all ready to lynch him!! give the boy a chance to grow.. hes young and in experienced but again i feel will blossom!
and one little note, i dont want to risk knocking the "golden child" but Theo... hes on for 17 minutes, runs in the wrong direction, doesnt get forward (which by the way IS his job) and he gets an 8 in news of the world?!?!?!? the media dictactes who we like and dont like... get a mind and point of view people!!

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom