• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings and post-match discussion vs Leeds

Man of the Match

• Fabregas

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Gibbs

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Walcott

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Djourou

Votes: 29 50.0%
  • **** off

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters

Nela

Established Member
I understand subbing Chamakh instead of Bendtner. Say what you want about him, but Bendtner has a tendency to score goals even when his overall play is poor.

MDGoonah41

Established Member
Sneeze - 6
Eboue - 4
Squid - 3
DJ - 7
Gibbs - 5

Denilson - 2
Rosicky - 2
Song - 6

Chamakh - 3
Arshavin - 5
Bendtner - 4

Cesc - 6
Walcott - 6
Vela - N/A

Denilson, Rosicky, and Bendtner need to be replaced in the squad. Replace Rosicky with Hazard (in the summer obviously), Denilson with Ramsey (soon enough) and Bendtner with....well, someone who isnt a complete and total donkey.

ricky1985

Established Member
Not the best view from low down in the Clock End, but here are my ratings:

Szczesny - 7. One dodgy kick and one dodgy throw out - but also handled two woeful back passes from Squillaci very impressively - he went absolutely mental at him on each occasion afterwards, which was pleasing to see. One great save from a header that as it left the guy's head, I thought "goal". He was also unlucky on the penalty, it was well struck, otherwise he would have had it. Despite what I've read on here, his general goal kicking was actually very accurate, he put it on Chamakh or Bendtner's head 90% of the time - they didn't win much though, but there was nothing wrong with the distance or direction of the kick. Was the one at the back trying to lift everybody after we went behind. Looked like a leader out there.

Eboue - 5. Some nice touches and dribbles here and there, but vacated his position and went missing FAR too many times. Was beat more often than I would have liked one vs one, too. He's not playing at the level he was last season.

Squillaci - 5. Struggled in nearly everything he had to do. Just doesn't have the strength or timing to consistently win headers, and when he does win them he struggles to get good enough contact to generate the power needed to clear the ball properly. Pretty quick across the ground which helps at times, but some of his decisions left a lot to be desired.

Djourou - 7.5. Flawless for the first 70 minutes or so, then a couple of small errors crept in here and there. Was also completely dominant on the air up until that point, too, then just slacked off a little - looked a little tired. Very, very classy in possession, even under pressure, and played a couple of lovely balls out to team mates on the flanks. Surely only a matter of time before he realises how to really threaten in the opposition box at set-pieces? He's just so powerful that once the timing and shape of his movement improves, he will be a very hard man to stop whenever he goes forward at corners or free-kicks.

Gibbs - 6. Played well within himself, but understandable given he's only just returned from a month on the sidelines, and must have been more worried about coming through the game unscathed. Showed touches of class throughout, he's a proper footballer, just needs to get some sharpness and power back into his game. The Carling Cup games, and indeed the replay, will serve Kieran well.

Song - 5. Tried a bit too much at times, which is a recurring theme whenever Cesc and/or Jack are missing from the team. Still tried as hard as anyone out there, which is more than you can say for some of his team mates.

Denilson - 6. Played one exquisite pass with the outside of his foot into Bendtner in the first half. Also passed reliably throughout, but gave away the penalty like an amateur, which could have proved terminal. He's just too easily transformed into a passenger, whether it's because he can't cope physically or he's just not up for it, I'm not sure, but alot of good work is undone by spells of really poor play, that temporarily turn him into a real liability.

Rosicky - 5. Played one or two good passes - think it was Tomas that put Arshavin through for his one-on-one early on. So much dross in there though. Spells where he gave the ball away every single time he got it, or nothing passes that achieved nothing positive. Not really sure there is a place for him in this squad any more - he just doesn't offer enough in any one position, and he certainly doesn't offer enough to justify starting as the playmaker of the team, in the coveted "Number 10" role.

Bendtner - 5. I was sitting there thinking; "I just can't see how this guy thinks so much of himself?". He drops his shoulder or does a nice bit of skill every 15 minutes or so, but so much of what he does is just so painfully slow, cumbersome, and, well, average. Also completely fluffed the big chance that came his way to win the game, when Cesc played that magnificent through ball. His heading off set-pieces was not good enough either.

Arshavin - 5. So much dross, so very much. Poor passes, careless touches, dribbles down dead ends, and he completely fluffed his one-on-one early on with a ridiculous first touch. That said, he has class, real class. He plays perceptive passes from deep, spots through balls, dribbles through two or three at a time - does things that no one else on the pitch can. Alot of it goes unnoticed or even to waste because he's just not making it count where it matters right now. Without question, the guy did not want to be out there on that pitch today. That's a serious accusation as far as I'm concerned, but I stand by it. He wasn't interested in fighting or really running, and when the subs came on he was almost pleading to be the one who got the hook. Even coming over to the bench when Theo came on, before he realised it was actually Chamakh who was being withdrawn - he reluctantly jogged back into position. Someone on here said a while ago that Andrei is a fraud - when the going gets tough or things aren't going his way, he hides, doesn't want to know - and I have to say, it really does look that way to me right now.

Chamakh - 4. He seems to have almost run his race this season, I'm sure a second wind will come after a bit of rest, but right now he's pretty useless up there for us. Should have scored from a free header off a corner in the second half. Looks bereft of any inspiration right now.

Subs

Fabregas - 7.5. Every time he gets the ball he does something classy and intelligent with it. Showed trademark bottle to thump the penalty home when it mattered too. What a 50 yard through ball he played for Bendtner right at the death!

Walcott - 6. Injected some life into our attack, even if a lot of what he did was pretty basic stuff. Think it was Theo that won the penalty too, so he did his job. Although did miss a good chance to win it for us late on.

Vela - 5. Didn't seem to do much when he came on.

dyeruz

Established Member
Y va marquer said:
MOTM Djourou, Fabregas, Walcott plus a mention for Sneezy for saving us from a second Leeds goal.
But for those 4 we'd be pondering defeat at the hands of a Championship side.

Rosicky played quite well I thought but he's effectiveness is more limited when he plays with Bendy and Chamakh who both looked quite cumbersome, slow and lacking any sort of sharpness in front of goal.
Shava is a ghost of who he was, I'm really sorry to see that.
I keep thinking he'll click back into gear but it's looking less likely these days.

Song looked slightly off and lacked energy in the second half.

Eboue and Gibbs were competent.

Squid had some hairy moments.

Denilson didn't influence the game as a player in his position should. Anonymous apart from conceding the penalty, some silly frees and having a good shot on goal saved in the second half.

Vela...che?
I'm surprised Rosicky is getting so much stick, he tries and plays hard, apart from giving the ball away a few times I thought he did rather well but its really difficult when you get Arshavin and Bendtner dropping deep and Chamakh playing alone up front, apart through ball Arshavin got put through he barely made any runs, Bendtner likes to come out to the sides and do **** all, Denilson gave away a stupid penalty but is a calming influence in the midfield, he really doesnt give the ball away. Did notice our fullbacks arent overlapping so much, and even if they did there would be no one in the box because Bendtner would probably be on one of the wings too :)

Ricky_AFC

Just seen Theo's interview admitting he dived and apologising for it.

What a nice chap...but I didn't even think he dived. He had his arm pulled back as he was about to finish, that's a penalty. Suppose thats going to get a load of media attention which is quite annoying seeing as I think he's apologising for absolutely nothing.

eye4goal

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
Arshavin - 5. So much dross, so very much. Poor passes, careless touches, dribbles down dead ends, and he completely fluffed his one-on-one early on with a ridiculous first touch. That said, he has class, real class. He plays perceptive passes from deep, spots through balls, dribbles through two or three at a time - does things that no one else on the pitch can. Alot of it goes unnoticed or even to waste because he's just not making it count where it matters right now. Without question, the guy did not want to be out there on that pitch today. That's a serious accusation as far as I'm concerned, but I stand by it. He wasn't interested in fighting or really running, and when the subs came on he was almost pleading to be the one who got the hook. Even coming over to the bench when Theo came on, before he realised it was actually Chamakh who was being withdrawn - he reluctantly jogged back into position. Someone on here said a while ago that Andrei is a fraud - when the going gets tough or things aren't going his way, he hides, doesn't want to know - and I have to say, it really does look that way to me right now.

Even at his best he was never the most consistent but this is as bad as it can get. It was almost like Eboue against Wigan. Maybe he is no longer part of the group as he used to. His criticism of our defence would not have gone down too well with some players. Its very hard to understand how a top player can become bad overnight.

Arshavin and Rosicky performances were very concerning. Chamakh worries me too, he's just not the same player ever since he fluffed that 1-on-1 against Sp**s

Anzac

Established Member
There are any number of excuses to be had across the board for manager and players - from needing to rotate & give playing time/resting players, recovery from injury, burn-out, rustiness, unfamiliar combos/balance etc.

Rosicky was good as our playmaker at the start of the season, but he was working with different players in midfield & attack. Essentially both him & AA look to keep the ball moving as much as possible, hence all the flick ons & one touch passes.

Question is do we have a line in the sand where the talk/excuses stops?

Ron Burgundy

Established Member
qs said:
Szczesny 6

Eboue 6
Squillaci 5
Djourou 8
Gibbs 7

Denilson 4
Song 6
Rosicky 2

Bendtner 3
Chamakh 5
Arshavin 4

Walcott 7
Fabregas 7 MORM for his nerves of steel

Sanchez Watt 7
Change Denilson to a 3 and I'd go along with these ratings.

dyeruz

Established Member
eye4goal said:
ricky1985 said:

Even at his best he was never the most consistent but this is as bad as it can get. It was almost like Eboue against Wigan. Maybe he is no longer part of the group as he used to. His criticism of our defence would not have gone down too well with some players. Its very hard to understand how a top player can become bad overnight.

Arshavin and Rosicky performances were very concerning. Chamakh worries me too, he's just not the same player ever since he fluffed that 1-on-1 against Sp**s
It's desire..I dont believe a player can just lose it like that, his consistency was the criticism he got in russia, brilliant one game cant be bothered the next..when he was new to the prem he had something to prove, the game against Liverpool, utterly committed and full of running and scored goals with both his feet, and now it's always get it onto the right foot, defenders have clued in so they show him left, today he was literally walking at times, the ball fizzed into him kept going under his feet. There is no doubting his talent but its like I've been dropped so why bother, that kind of malaise up front really slows everything down, after he missed that one on one his head dropped, I was shocked he wasnt subbed but I guess Wengers trying to keep him sweet. Bendtner doesnt want to be a striker and stay in the damn box, Chamakh had little service. We're trying to run our system with Rosicky in the middle, maybe he should try Arshavin there otherwise change the damn thing and play to everyone's strengths instead of trying to fit square holes in round pegs

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
scytheavatar said:
Rain Dance said:
I really don't think Bendtner deserves 2's or 3's

He certainly didn't deserve more than a 4. He was useless on the wings and even more useless as a fotward. Why Wenger took out Chamakh, I can never understand.

Not that you will ever understand but Bendter needs game time as did many on the pitch today.

Amazing how low the ratings for a game that we really completely dominated and but for some wayward finishing and good keeping should have won comfortably.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Ricky_AFC said:

What a nice chap...but I didn't even think he dived. He had his arm pulled back as he was about to finish, that's a penalty. Suppose thats going to get a load of media attention which is quite annoying seeing as I think he's apologising for absolutely nothing.

Was he not apologising for the first penalty that wasn't given? Both looked stone wall pens to me.

I love Theo for the genuine, wholesome good guy that he clearly is, but he needs to learn when to keep his gob shut.

justinmitchell

An extremely flat and disrespectful performance. Seeing vela on the bench really goes to show how far his stock has fallen.

Snez 6 not the best pen save but made some sharp saves
Eboue 4 terrible. Focus on defense you ****ing muppet and stop falling over!!!!
Squid 4 crap
Mango 8 very solid awesomeness personified
Gibbs 6 meh **** all to do

Denilson 2 I've seen bad but that was disgraceful. Hanging your legs out like that will give away free kicks. Total fail performance.
Rosicky 6 faded as the game wore on
Song 6 was ok

Arshavin 3 if I could fire two people out of a cannon at the sun, he would be one of them the other denilson.
Bendtner 5 why the hell does wenger persist with him om the wing? He has never turned in a good performance from there and can't combine worth a **** with chamakh, in fact no one can.
Chamakh 5 invisible and jaded

I miss the good ol days of bendtner/vela dominating the cc and bendtner/Eduardo dominating the fa cup.

What the **** did I just watch? :bash

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Ricky_AFC said:

The dive for the penalty that was given then rescinded. i.e the 1st (non) penalty

Ricky_AFC

I'm not certain which he was talking about but assume from the fact he is apologising that it was the one which we subsequently equalized from. If it is the other one it is even more pointless. Love the genuine character, but just don't think it was necessary.

banduan

Established Member
chesney was great but still needs better kicking (7)
eboue was a liability and needs to capitalise on better attacking (5)
squid was neither here nor there (6)
djorou was impressive on the ball (7)
gibbs is so, so classy (6)
song stood out so much as a 1st team member (7)
denilson was involved but limited, poor peno to give away (5)
rozza was actually not bad, needs better shooting boots (6)
bendy had terrible first touch but took defenders on (6)
shava was dire for most of the match (4)
chamakh was never involved enough (5)

cesc was good but not tidy (6)
theo made the difference (8)
vela didn't (5)

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Chesney - 7 Was generally good and almost saved the penalty.

Eboue - 5 Has no clue/confidence when delivering his final ball.
Squillaci - 5 Was put under much pressure, points more for his attempts at goal
Djourou - 8 MOTM, ran the back well. Good to see him getting the recognition he deserves now.
Gibbs - 5 Quiet

Denilson - 4 Below average, still doesnt track back and prefers jogging next to the attacker. Fix that please.
Song - 6 More disciplined positioning continues from Song.
Rosicky - 5 Fairly quiet for a player in his position.
Arshavin - 5.5 Finishing has degraded immensely, however he still has the eye for a good pass.
Bendtner - 5 Worst first touch at AFC. Needs more game time to get back to good form.

Subs:

Fabregas - 7 Good spirit, good penalty.

Walcott - 7 Very effective, used his pace well. Im especially impressed at his honesty post match, admitting he dived to save us.

Hardly a dive mate, but I appreciate your honesty here. Its this sort of reflection and ultimately changed action that we need in the game.

Y va marquer

Established Member
Sneezy did get a hand on that penalty kick.
I paid particular attention to his kicking yesterday and it is fair to say there's room for improvement.
Needs to be less rushed and better directed.
I remember one specific kick that ended up as a pass to a Leeds player.

brady_style

Sneezy 7 Made a crucial save to keep the score at 1-0. Lots of shouting at his defenders while contorting his face with rage. Crucial skill for a goalkeeper that.

Eboue 3 A four out of ten is a pass in my book. It means you have put in the bare minimum of effort. He didn't even do that. I can't for the life of me figure this guy out. Doesn't he have any pride ? Any love of the club ? Why jog around for 90 minutes like this was an end of season testimonial.

Squillaci 5 Can you imagine this guy playing every week in the Championship. He'd be the laughing stock of the league. Can't even deal with long punts from the goalkeeper right down the middle. A useless stocking of monkey sh1t.

Djourou 8 Immense. Calm, decisive, assured in everything he did. We've got a real player on our hands here.

Gibbs 6 Got stuck in. Looked very rusty at times yet he ran his heart out.

Denilson 5 I thought he was ok in the first half. Useless in the second half. A nothing player. A blight on the club. His presence in the squad tells the other players that it's OK to jog around the pitch, that it's OK to give half hearted displays. Sell him.

Rosicky 5 He's really struggling for confidence. He can be very neat and quick with his use of the ball but too often he doesn't progress our play enough. Too enough he takes the easy pass.

Song 6 Ran around alot and put his foot into tackles.

Bendy 5 I feel for the lad. He is in no way a winger. Can you imagine Andy Carroll or Drogba being made to play on the wing. They'd look very very ordinary.

Arshavin 5 Kept trying. He had one of those games where just about everything he tried didn't come off for him. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to this performance. He is facing a key few weeks in his Arsenal career.

Fabegras 8 It's not easy to come into a game with 20 minutes left and leave your mark. He was quite simply amazing. We carved them open again and again with Cesc showing off the full array of his passing.

Walcott 7 Great stuff. Tore their left side apart again and again. He's developed into such a clever runner off the ball.

Walcott 7

Arsenal Quotes

I think I lost my hair flicking the ball on for all them years at the near post from Brian Marwood's corners

Steve Bould
Top Bottom