• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ratings thread: Norwich vs Arsenal

The Escaped Ape

I'm going to try starting one of these for the first time. It's a bit worrying that we're getting out of the habit of ratings threads.

Wojciech Szczesny - 7

Calm and reasonably assured. Safe hands on the Norwich shots that were on target. Nice and vocal.

Laurent Koscielny - 6

Decent enough. Nothing really stands out for me from his performance. Maybe that's in contrast to the rest of the back 4.

Per Mertesacker - 5

I'm being a bit generous here with a 5. A real nightmare of a game, he struggled with Norwich's physical/subtly dirty approach. Perhaps unlucky with the goal (he did seem to have been pushed back with both hands by Morrison), but more than unlucky, he seemed flaky. Seemed a bit shaken at the end of the match, or maybe that was incredulity at Holt's shameless dive.

Thomas Vermaelen, 7

Welcome back Thomas. Don't ever leave us again. Starting to look, bit by bit, even more comfortable and assured.

Andre Santos, 5.5

Again let down by his defensive performance. His dribbling style seems to depend on knocking against the legs of his opponent and hoping they're going to be thrown by his chutzpah. That stops working after the first 20 minutes.

Alex Song, 6

Meh. Not terrible, seemed to be settling into the match more as it went on. But didn't provide anything like one of his best performances.

Mikel Arteta, 5.6

His errors for this match were glaring, which was frustrating after such a solid run. Still calm and consistent, but I couldn't work out what was wrong with him. A bit rusty? Does being rested during the international break have a down side?

Aaron Ramsey, 6.5

Some hints of his better form during the match, but otherwise a bit anonymous.

Theo Walcott, 7.5

He needs to keep on playing golf with RVP! They're really forming a productive partnership. Let down perhaps by his own finishing on a couple of occasions though.

Gervinho, 5.5

Very frustrating today. I'd give him a 7 for his build up play, but then he let it down time and time again with the final touch for the attempted assist. His final touch consistently about 54% underpowered.

Robin van Persie, 8

The only reason he doesn't get higher than this is because he's slightly too often for my liking just a little too quick in moving forward and anticipating the pass, leading to quite a few balls not reaching him. Whether this is his fault or the player passing, I'm not sure, but it's keeping him from approaching perfection. With Theo's nearly but not quite finishing today and Gervinho's timidity, we're a bit screwed if he's not able to play for any reason.

Benayoun - 6

Did what he needed to do fairly well.

Djourou - N/A

The Escaped Ape

Was there a memo about ratings threads that I missed? 157 views and no other ratings?

Maybe it was the random typo 5.6 I gave Arteta that is scaring people off...

Hoya

The Escaped Ape said:
Was there a memo about ratings threads that I missed? 157 views and no other ratings?

Maybe it was the random typo 5.6 I gave Arteta that is scaring people off...

I would give Vermaelen an 8 but otherwise I agree with your ratings. I can't speak for the rest of these jokers though 8))

The Escaped Ape

Thank you!

You may be right about Vermaelen. I confess my overwhelming focus on the defence was when the ball came near Mertesacker and he ambled off with it/spent too long with it as a Norwich player belted towards him.

I was also as preoccupied with midfield, which really seemed to lack much of a spark today.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
So, am I the only one that thinks bar Mertersacker's mistake, he was very solid over large periods of the game?

The Escaped Ape

kalleTheMan said:
I'll do this naked ape. Some football to watch first though :) .

edit: Escaped Ape

I was pleased when the final whistle blew, but not so pleased I ripped my clothes off! :wink:

Thanks though. 8))

The Escaped Ape

Irish_Owen said:
So, am I the only one that thinks bar Mertersacker's mistake, he was very solid over large periods of the game?

My instinctive response to that is "Yes, yes you are".

However, it's possible my feelings were colored by a few prominent moments where he looked very shaky.

Ever since Terry's goal in the Chelsea game, he's worried me in close quarter defensive duels. He doesn't like a goal area melee, does Mertesacker.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Wojciech Szczesny - 6.5

More than solid and couldn't do much about the goal. Don't like the turns he's started doing though.

Laurent Koscielny - 6

Did well enough, added nothing going forward but strong defensively.

Per Mertesacker - 5

Terrible mistake for the goal and physically bullied today.

Thomas Vermaelen, 7.5

Immense

Andre Santos, 5.5

Too gung ho and caught out a number of times

Alex Song, 6

Good assist but his usual dominant self.

Mikel Arteta, 6

Mixed bag from Mikel, gave it away more than usual but worked hard.

Aaron Ramsey, 6

shocking first half, improved second.

Theo Walcott, 7.5

A massive threat today an assist and unlucky not to score.

Gervinho, 7

A constant danger, should have scored at least one though.

Robin van Persie, 8.5

Wins us another game.

Benayoun - 6

Decent

CandysRoom

Established Member
Watching some Rugger now EA, so will leave some ratings at some point.

Didn't realise your 5.6 was a typo! Just thought you were being incredibly accurate with your ratings :)

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Chesney 6

Kosh 6.5 good game as a RB

Merte 5 bad game alot of mistakes

TV5 7 he is beast winning everything hope he not get injury again

Santos 6 not a bad game

Arteta 5 for the first time i see him give the ball so many times and lose it.

Song 6 good assist but not too good game

Ramsey 6.5 he start sloopy but then he start doing well

Gervinho 6

Rvp 8 No comment

Yossi 6

bazza_afc

Szcz 6

Kos 7
Verm 8
Mert 4 - Not just for the goal, thought he was all over the place today. How many times did he fall over when going in for challenges?
Santos 6

Song 6
Arteta 7
Ramsey 6

Gervinho 6
Walcott 8 - MOTM
RVP 8

fabo

6.51 / 10
Song was complete garbage lads, even the assist was overhit and forced RVP wide, reminded me of Diaby to RVP at Fulham last season which was a similarly average ball. Really terrible stuff from Song today.

Arteta had his worst game in a red shirt, Ramsey hustled and bustled but was ultimately average overall.

Theo had a good game, RVP was excellent, Gervinho was his usual self doing some good things but he breaks down virtually every move and he seems to be unaware of his surroundings at times. 5/10 for him, the miss was unforgiveable too. Doesn't seem hungry for goals at all which is a shame as he's getting sitters every week.

Vermaelen was a monster defensively and offensively. Koscielny and Santos were solid enough, Mertesacker was poor. Szczesny had little to do, caught a few good crosses and his usual routine pissing about with back-passes by letting the opposition get too close.

CandysRoom

Established Member
fabo said:
Song was complete garbage lads, even the assist was overhit and forced RVP wide, reminded me of Diaby to RVP at Fulham last season which was a similarly average ball. Really terrible stuff from Song today.

Arteta had his worst game in a red shirt, Ramsey hustled and bustled but was ultimately average overall.

Theo had a good game, RVP was excellent, Gervinho was his usual self doing some good things but he breaks down virtually every move and he seems to be unaware of his surroundings at times. 5/10 for him, the miss was unforgiveable too. Doesn't seem hungry for goals at all which is a shame as he's getting sitters every week.

Vermaelen was a monster defensively and offensively. Koscielny and Santos were solid enough, Mertesacker was poor. Szczesny had little to do, caught a few good crosses and his usual routine pissing about with back-passes by letting the opposition get too close.
He's a class act. Think we're gonna have to get used to this. Hope it doesn't cost us the game when he's eventually caught.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
Chesny - 6 - Pretty good, not really tested. Distribution far from perfect.

Kos - 6 - Kept it simple, stayed deep.

Mertesacker - 4.5 - Worst mistake so far, schoolboy stuf, otherwise shaky but ok.

TV - 8 - Boss defensively and very good distribution.

Santos - 6.5 - Intelligent and accurate passing in posession, and quite solid defensively

Song - 6 - Decent game, nothing special

Arteta - 5.5 - His worst game so far, but still quite solid, kept the ball moving with accuracy most of the time

Ramsey - 6 - Not much to say, some quality stuf, some less impressive stuf. He's on the right track.

Theo - 8 - Good game, kept creating chances and dhd enough defensively

RvP - 8 - Nice goals, otherwise good performance but a bit sloppy at times.

Gervinho - 6 - Hard to judge, good movement and was involved as ever. Disappointing in the decisice momnets though.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Szczesny 6/10

Koscielny 5.5/10
Mertesacker 4.5/10
Vermaelen 7/10
Santos 6/10

Song 5/10
Arteta 5.5/10
Ramsey 6/10

Gervinho 6/10
van Persie 8/10
Walcott 7/10

Segway

Szczesny: 6,5

Kos: 6
Mertesacker 4.5
Vermaelen 7.5
Santos 5

Song 4
Arteta 5
Ramsey 6

Walcott 8
RvP 8 MOTM
Gervinho 5.5

fabo

6.51 / 10
Arty looked heavy-legged, strange as I think his engine has looked better than his midfield partners in many of the games so far.

Maybe a chance to give Rosicky a game vs Dortmund.

Saying that, Arteta made some great interceptions, one crucial one as we closed the game out and braindead Song ran into 3 players when he had passing options galore and we were countered. Wouldn't see Cesc doing that eh!

outlaw_member

Established Member
Also, Arteta has always been available so far this season, giving us much needed stability and consistency, even though I believe that his form is slowly dropping. Cesc's sporadic appearances towards the end of his Arsenal career was nothing but a hindrance, as we inevitably suffered without him. I've always maintained that a great injury prone player is not worth the hassle, because how hard the injuries hurts the team, be it van Persie or Ronaldo. Reliability is the most underrated quality in a footballer.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom