• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Romelu Lukaku: Journeyman

Caz19

I'd love Lukaku, but let's be honest - what are the chances of Chelsea selling us a player?

They wouldn't even loan us Demba Ba FFS!

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
MutableEarth said:
Jose wouldn't sell to us.

Probably-also wonder about his hold up play and link up play. He's a wonderful player but needs nuff work on those aspects of his game-Giroud far bettber at bringing others into play but Lukaku has the pace and pace can't be taught.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
truth_hurts said:
MutableEarth said:
Jose wouldn't sell to us.

He sold Mata to Manu U, granted they weren't competitors last season but even so it was a change in shift.

He wouldn't give us feckin' Demba Ba, can't see him giving us Lukaku.

The Mata sale was perfect for Chelsea.

1. Maureen didn't fancy him
2. Strengthened a non-competitor who still had to play all Chelsea's direct rivals for the title.
3. Helped FFP.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I'd really love to sign this lad. Has some rough edges to his game but is physically immense and already scoring 15+ PL goals a seasons aged 20 or 21. That's ******* impressive. Giroud provides some nice link-up on a good day, he's also liable to pass simple balls out for throw-ins(see FA Cup final).

Another season with Giroud starting is so depressing.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Why wouldn't he sell us him? Demba Ba was very different last minute stuff and we just captured Özil. Chelsea will have plenty of time to get someone in with the money we give them.

Genuinely cannot see Mourinho being the deciding factor here if we meet their valuation I think they will sell the issue is Wenger who wants someone to play with rather than replace Giroud. Lukaku is an out and put striker, even though against us he played on the wing, which to me at least is the biggest stumbling block.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
fabo said:
I'd really love to sign this lad. Has some rough edges to his game but is physically immense and already scoring 15+ PL goals a seasons aged 20 or 21. That's ******* impressive. Giroud provides some nice link-up on a good day, he's also liable to pass simple balls out for throw-ins(see FA Cup final).

Another season with Giroud starting is so depressing.

Im agreed, if anyone wants to see the difference between a promising player that can currently deliver and one that was overhyped take a look at Benteke and Lukaku. Lukaku could be great, Benteke will never be near him.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Mourinho may not sell to us, we should try anyway. Put in a decent offer and see what happens. He may feel Lukaku is surplus to requirements, the offer might be big enough, Lukaku may say he wants to go to us rather than an Everton or Sp**s(which he would). I'd be surprised if Lukaku is willing to go back as a benchwarmer to Costa, that's a step back after the last two season he's had.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You make an offer that's too good to turn down, 30M.

Tye lad wants to leave, asked for a transfer last summer, Chelsea won't turn down 30M from us. Talk is he could be off for 20M, Everton, Sp**s, Atletico etc type clubs.

Anzac

Established Member
IMO Lukaku is more PL proven at his age than either Le Sulk or TH, despite the former player's quality and ability - and more so when you compare him to Sanogo as being the same age.

I wanted us to sign him before he went to CFC and I'd take him ahead of Mandzukic and Giroud based upon his age IF AW balanced the team & squad, and ahead of Bony based upon his better pace and higher potential.

The Escaped Ape

GDeep said:
You make an offer that's too good to turn down, 30M.

Tye lad wants to leave, asked for a transfer last summer, Chelsea won't turn down 30M from us. Talk is he could be off for 20M, Everton, Sp**s, Atletico etc type clubs.

Can you really see Wenger making an offer that's too good to turn down? Wenger will know the value he assigns to Lukaku in his own mind and it's hardly likely to be enough to "be too good to turn down" in Mourinho's mind.

Iceman10

Established Member
Atletico need replacement(s) for Costa and are after Vela. I don't know how much power Atletico have in holding up Costa's transfer because of the purported release clause, but there may be some leverage where we pass up on our buyback clause for Vela to allow him to move to Atletico in return for Mourinho selling Lukaku to us while Atletico release Costa to him.

It doesn't appear that Lukaku is interested in moving to Atletico in part exchange for Costa, that would have been simplest, but would have happened by now. You would expect Lukaku to want to stay in the PL perhaps because he's worked hard to adapt to it now on the back of his two loan spells, at West Brom and Everton. On top of that he has already said he wants to join a club in the CL.

Mastadon

Established Member
I would be very surprised if Chelsea sold him to us. Mourinho must know how much this kid would improve us he's already shown how good he is and will only get better. Our best hope is that with 2 years left on his contract his relationship with Mourinho is beyond repair and they would be willing to sell for the right price. If there is any chance we could get him I would expect us to pounce on it.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm really starting to hope that we use our influence with Carlos Vela and Cesc Fabregas to force Chelsea's hand and let us get Lukaku.

If Atletico want Vela as Diego Costa's replacement then we could seriously do some work behind the scenes to hold up that deal. Likewise our 50 percent sell-on clause regarding Cesc' Barcelona contract could impede their progress in that possible deal. I hate the idea of Cesc playing for Chelsea, but it looks like he isn't coming back here, so at the very least we should drag on his Chelsea deal for as long as possible and try to use our influence to get a player that we would like.

Rumors are saying that we're in for Balotelli too, but I'd still go for Lukaku too if we can use our Cesc and Vela influence to force Chelsea's hand and strike a deal.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Personal opinion is that Super Mario is a wow signing and will take pressure of Özil. Lukaku would be an excellent signing as well but he will bench Giroud and I cannot see Wenger wanting that.

Balptelli is on last chance saloon he cannot be regarded asa roaring success anywhere he has been and if he flopped here would rightly be considered damaged goods given the money involved in all of his transfers. If Wenger has gave to face talks with him Wenger will know what to do

GDeep™

League is very weak
Lukaku will be perfect for Giroud as he's still young and developing, will allow Wenger to take one out and bring another in, keep both active.

Wenger isn't going to kill Giroud, and Lukaku won't do that as he's still a kid.

Big flaws in his game, but I'm high on Lukaku.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
GDeep said:
Lukaku will be perfect for Giroud as he's still young and developing, will allow Wenger to take one out and bring another in, keep both active.

Wenger isn't going to kill Giroud, and Lukaku won't do that as he's still a kid.

Big flaws in his game, but I'm high on Lukaku.

Suarez and Higuain both would have 'killed' Giroud last summer if they went through.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom