• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sevilla V Arsenal - Tuesday November 27 - 7.45pm

Alfonso

Established Member
awooga83 said:
All the big boys are beatable though noone looks all dominant like in the bast infact our best defence is as good if not more so then most of them so I think we can get results against them.

Again, why make life harder for ourselfs? Forget about who we can face in the next round, we should have finished first. Period.

awooga83

Established Member
ronitc said:
Captain the insignificance you attach to playing the likes of Barca, Milan et al vs the players being fresher by missing ONE match is quite incredible.

In fact I think that point is downright absurd.

Why do you fear the other big teams so much on the day anyone can beat anyone and the big teams today are all vunerable there are no totally dominant teams. We resume the champions league in February in the mean time we have many tough league games coming, I know what I think is more important as we are already in the next round.

Captain

Established Member
ronitc said:
Captain said:
That's fine, I find many of your points absurd.

I generally find all your posts the same, but that was just the pick of the bunch.

Good for you.

But how can you say Wenger didnt make mistakes when he left Traore so diabolically exposed?

I don't think he left him much more exposed then he would have been if, for instance, we played Rosicky ahead of him in a 4-4-2.

Well he for sure werent in the centre.

He was playing the furthest forward of the three there.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Alfonso said:
stiiphunn said:
Seriously you guys need to calm down.
One bloody defeat with a 'B' team and it seems like it's the end of the world!

It was always going to be a tough game anyway as Sevilla are a good team and because we were resting half of our first team.

Our young players got the chance to play in a CL game and that's the biggest picture here. It's a good opportunity for them and I don't believe for one second Wenger didn't think about losing this game. He knew it was going to be tough for us.

But why play such a weak team? Its borderline neglence. Sevilla are one of the best teams in Europe and you play a Carling Cup team? Its almost laughable. Its like shooting yourself in the foot. Ask any team in Europe if they would rather finish first or second everyone will say the former. Its not the first time Wenger makes these mistakes either. If he did it properly, he could have rested players for the Steau match, but I bet you we will play a strong team because Wenger will still want to finish first. Does my head in.
Im all for giving players a chance and experience but not at the expense of our CL chances.

We need to wrap Gallas in cotton wool, because having a good decemeber and January will mainly be based on his fitness.

You're speculating there.

Tbh I don't really care if we finish first or second- it's all the same. Last season we lost against PSV, and the season before that we won against Real Madrid.

We'll have to beat some good teams if we want to win it, so the sooner the better. I'm only disappointed because I wanted us to play against a French team, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen.

About Wenger's choices, I don't know what his thinking was. I do'nt know if he really thought we could beat Sevilla with this side.
What's sure though is that a lot of people underestimated Sevilla. If you go back to the first pages people thought it was going to be an easy game for us.

In the end, some of our players got some rest which is a good thing. Don't forget as well that we have a lot of injured players and our squad is very thin. In reality Wenger only rested 4 players tonight. That's not a lot.
Traore got the chance to be in a CL game, same for Nick..

Again, losing a game in Seville isn't that terrible. We'll just have to bounce back against Villa and everything will be forgotten.

awooga83

Established Member
Alfonso said:
awooga83 said:
All the big boys are beatable though noone looks all dominant like in the bast infact our best defence is as good if not more so then most of them so I think we can get results against them.

Again, why make life harder for ourselfs? Forget about who we can face in the next round, we should have finished first. Period.

Yeah in an ideal world, we probably as you said should have gone for the win in prague but we didn't and now we have a tough set of fixtures in the league and that should take precedent. I don't get the fear it might be harded it also may not we could catch them in poor form or just be too good. I believe our strngest side playing well can beat any of the top clubs.

AliBabaBrewer

If Wenger was going to rest people and play the side he put out just for the sake of playing the game, why didn't he put out his full Carling Cup side? Although he practically did.. But if he was just sticking players out to get the game over and done with, why not litter the bench with players who could've got a rare run out?

Fabianski or Lehmann could've been given a game. Diarra or Song played, Maybe Merida given a go. There was no one out on the left after all.

Because tonight Wenger seemed to play Fabregas, Toure and Almunia just to try and bolster the team. But I don't see why, if he's aiming to just get the group over and done with, why not go the whole hog?

Alfonso

Established Member
Captain said:

I don't believe he made any mistakes, but that's life. Everyones a genius with the benefit of hindsight.

Well, it's common sense that he shouldnt have played a Carling Cup side to start of with. It was naive to underestimate Sevilla. Thats not hindsight, thats foresight.

Also, if you are going to play a Carling Cup side, do it properly. Play a proper 4-4-2, with Eduardo in the centre, and dont play Cesc on the left wing. He aint a winger. Also, it is stupid to play two holding midfielders, esp if we were to play on the counter. We had no creativity in the middle. Rosciky should have started this game.

Shredder

Yeah, because everyone knows how well we do in knockout rounds against the PSVs, Schalkes and Valencias of this world...

Not bothered by this at all, frankly. Sevilla might still lose points in the last round handing us first place anyway.

Bring on Villa for all I care.

stiiphunn

Established Member
Alfonso said:
awooga83 said:

Why?

I could easily have said: we had to qualify. Period.

Captain

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Captain said:

I don't believe he made any mistakes, but that's life. Everyones a genius with the benefit of hindsight.

Well, it's common sense that he shouldnt have played a Carling Cup side to start of with. It was naive to underestimate Sevilla. Thats not hindsight, thats foresight.

Also, if you are going to play a Carling Cup side, do it properly. Play a proper 4-4-2, with Eduardo in the centre, and dont play Cesc on the left wing. He aint a winger. Also, it is stupid to play two holding midfielders, esp if we were to play on the counter. We had no creativity in the middle. Rosciky should have started this game.

I think I've addressed those points above.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Started very well much better than even when we spanked them 3-0 at home..that equalizer threw us off..and never recovered. They are kids and that is one good lesson learned i hope. i like Sevilel they are a good team and no shame losing to them. Move on...to next game.

Traore was just too exposed cos our LM was always gone....he did well overall. not that bothered from this game.

Alfonso

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
But Alf, it isn't about giving the players a runout so much as prioritising. At the moment we are doing well in the league but have tough games ahead. We have already qualified and Wenger was trying to do what he thought was best in the long-run rather than thinking about the short-run.

But loosing in this manor could also **** us up in the long run. We got three away games in a row. We need a quick reaction, otherwise we may have a problem, because as games come quick and fast you have less time to regroup and analyse things, so your more prone to going on a bad spell. That's why they say Christmas is fundamental to title aspirations. We just have shot ourselfs in the foot for no reason. What exaclty has Senderos learnt tonight?

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Don Pacifico said:
But Alf, it isn't about giving the players a runout so much as prioritising. At the moment we are doing well in the league but have tough games ahead. We have already qualified and Wenger was trying to do what he thought was best in the long-run rather than thinking about the short-run.

But loosing in this manor could also f**k us up in the long run. We got three away games in a row. We need a quick reaction, otherwise we may have a problem, because as games come quick and fast you have less time to regroup and analyse things, so your more prone to going on a bad spell. That's why they say Christmas is fundamental to title aspirations. We just have shot ourselfs in the foot for no reason. What exaclty has Senderos learnt tonight?

Like I said in response to your momentum comment:

If we deserve to be champions, then momentum should not be an excuse.

number_0

Established Member
anyway who was actually 'rested' today?
as far as i know, ade and gallas were the only ones rested..
clichey, flamini, hleb, van persie and diaby were all injured, so we had to play back ups there.
wenger thought that a core of cesc and toure, with some 2nd teamers who were due a game was enough, then bring in sanga and rossa later to grab the winner, until senderos and gilberto ****ed up, and cesc was too quiet aswell..
anyway good point is no new injury sustained here(thats starting to be welcomed around here :roll: )

AliBabaBrewer

dotcomreport.jpg

Brilliant picture of Senderos' dominance today, hah.
From Arsenal.com no less.

Alfonso

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
threw us into turmoil with his unbelievable error.
I have to disagree with Alfonso, if Sevilla are so amazing then why was we making them look worse than second rate with our 'B' team?

We had a good 20 min spell, but they overall outplayed us and made us look silly at times. The thing about Sevilla at home is, is that when they score one goal they really get fired up and run on the momentum. They step another gear once they have the comfort of a goal.

awooga83

Established Member
Alfonso said:
We just have shot ourselfs in the foot for no reason. What exaclty has Senderos learnt tonight?

He won't be in the team on Saturday.

C'mon were supposed to be A)a top club with b)top players if they can't deal with adversity then they shouldn't be at a) and are certainly not b), also a lot of the lineup who will play weren't involved today.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 21

Nuno Tavares will return to Arsenal after Nottingham Forest chose not to exercise the buy option in his loan deal [Nottingham Forest Official Site]

Benjamin Šeško’s agent confirms interest from English and Italian clubs, adding that he is not interested in moving to Saudi Arabia [Evening Standard]

Arsenal have sent scouts to watch Benfica midfielder Joao Neves multiple times [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have joined Manchester United in the race to sign Rennes’ 18 year old attacking midfielder Desire Doue [Ouest-France]

Latest posts

Top Bottom