• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sevilla V Arsenal - Tuesday November 27 - 7.45pm

thegame24

Established Member
another positive of playing a big side is that i really dont want to possibly win the cl with an easy route.

Captain

Established Member
Alf, why don't you ever calm down?

I don't mean anything malicious here, but the season has been a thrill so far. We're top of the league unbeaten; still comfortably in all competitions, top scorers, defence has been pretty solid. Just enjoy what is happening now and go along for the ride. :)

Don Pacifico

Established Member
Alfonso said:
ricky1985 said:
threw us into turmoil with his unbelievable error.
I have to disagree with Alfonso, if Sevilla are so amazing then why was we making them look worse than second rate with our 'B' team?

We had a good 20 min spell, but they overall outplayed us and made us look silly at times. The thing about Sevilla at home is, is that when they score one goal they really get fired up and run on the momentum. They step another gear once they have the comfort of a goal.

Did they really outplay us?

Or did we just play badly?

True Gooner

Established Member
Think we will be able to put this game behind us now? Because the question from most pundits was whether we will be able to bounce back from a loss.
I think we can..not many of our first teamers played tonight anyway.

Any news about Cesc and his hamstring?

Alfonso

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
Alfonso said:
awooga83 said:
All the big boys are beatable though noone looks all dominant like in the bast infact our best defence is as good if not more so then most of them so I think we can get results against them.

Again, why make life harder for ourselfs? Forget about who we can face in the next round, we should have finished first. Period.

Why?

I could easily have said: we had to qualify. Period.

It's about your intentions. Finishing second is like showing weakness to your rivals. Instead of making a statement to the rest of Europe you do the opposite. This season, the top teams in Europe will all realsitically finish first, and that is no coincidence. If we want to be up with them then its best to finish first as well.

ricky1985

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Don Pacifico said:
But Alf, it isn't about giving the players a runout so much as prioritising. At the moment we are doing well in the league but have tough games ahead. We have already qualified and Wenger was trying to do what he thought was best in the long-run rather than thinking about the short-run.

But loosing in this manor could also f**k us up in the long run. We got three away games in a row. We need a quick reaction, otherwise we may have a problem, because as games come quick and fast you have less time to regroup and analyse things, so your more prone to going on a bad spell. That's why they say Christmas is fundamental to title aspirations. We just have shot ourselfs in the foot for no reason. What exaclty has Senderos learnt tonight?

I agree with you Alf, that this could be a momentum halter, and that is why it is hard to take.

But surely you can see that the team Wenger sent out was more than capable of going to Sevilla and winning. We pretty much embarassed for the first 25 mins and a freak error from Senderos was too much for this young, inexperienced team to recover from.

To their credit Sevilla really piled on the heat, but we could still have beaten them from 2-1 down in the second half if we had the bottle and character.
We were far superior to them technically, we just didnt have the cohoonas to play our game once they went ahead.

You say Sevilla are such a good team and that we under estimated them but I really feel that if we played anything like we were capable of we would have battered them from pillar to post. B team or no B team.
So that was Wengers thinking he thought we were good enough to go there and win with this team, and the players let their manager, their travelling fans and most importantly themselves down in Seville tonight.

But we have to move on and like you said earlier lets see how good we really are.

mindchnger

I don't mind that Wenger did a bit of rotating with the squad, but I don't think he did it too wisely. With this game, Senderos was just coming back from an injury, Gilberto has not played for us very much at all this season, and Traore the same. I would rather Diarra have played in the middle since he had a run out for us the last game, and Flamini to fill in at leftback (since he was on the bench and has played more big-game experience than Traore does at that position) but what's done cannot be undone.

I actually do not mind so much that we lost tonight because Sevilla were always going to be a huge threat in this group, and although our reserves are talented, a lot of the guys have not played regularly enough to go up against what was Sevilla's first team. I was willing to concede this game, but I think we got too complacent with the selection beginning with the last Slavia game which we really should have won. Had we won that one, even with this loss, we could still have finished top of the group.

However, in the long run, the point is that we are already qualified for the knockout stage with one eye on the Premiership. Its ****ing disappointing that we will likely finish 2nd in the group now and face a much harder team in the next round as a result. But a loss was always going to come at some point and, tbh, I would rather this loss have come in the UCL than the Prem since we're already qualified for the next round. Of course, I just hope this doesn't screw us up momentum-wise for the upcoming games we have because it's going to be a difficult month.

Alfonso

Established Member
Captain said:
Alf, why don't you ever calm down?

I don't mean anything malicious here, but the season has been a thrill so far. We're top of the league unbeaten; still comfortably in all competitions, top scorers, defence has been pretty solid. Just enjoy what is happening now and go along for the ride. :)

Cos im a perfectionist. :) No, beacause I look in the big picture. I want us to win the CL badly, its a burning desire, so im pissed off we will most likely finish second and **** up our chances, but we have been through this. I dont mind loosing, every team looses, but not when you make it easier for the opposition.

JazzG

Established Member
Alfonso said:
The problem is momentum. And Wenger always ****s up with this. In 2004 we were on course for a treble and he made big changes against Man Utd(played Aliadere instead of Henry) and we got beat and this f*d up the next game(Chelsea).

Last season we were on a very good run, just beat Bolton off the park in the FA Cup replay and against Blackburn at home Wenger makes so many changes and we draw and loose our momentum. The next game we loose to PSV away and our season is practically over from then on.

Villa on Sat has become a massive game now.

I'd agree with that, the team we put out against Villa will be strong enough but like you say a defeat can knock the squad back especially when we have been on a long unbeaten run. We should of put a stronger defence out and even if we didn't win the match been strong enough not to lose it. I don't know how the squad will react but I'm pretty sure they will be ok, I'm not that worried. Some people here going a bit over the top I think.

If we beat Villa we are right back on track but with Hleb out, RvP just back from injury and Fabregas might not play if his injury is serious than this fixture has become a bit tougher already.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
thegame24 said:
another positive of playing a big side is that i really dont want to possibly win the cl with an easy route.

True talk. The bigger the team the better for us, we seem to step up to the job

Look at last year when we got PSV, we crashed out...We like playing teams that go for a win not teams thats objective is to neutralise our attacks then counter

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Don Pacifico said:
Alfonso said:
ricky1985 said:
threw us into turmoil with his unbelievable error.
I have to disagree with Alfonso, if Sevilla are so amazing then why was we making them look worse than second rate with our 'B' team?

We had a good 20 min spell, but they overall outplayed us and made us look silly at times. The thing about Sevilla at home is, is that when they score one goal they really get fired up and run on the momentum. They step another gear once they have the comfort of a goal.

Did they really outplay us?

Or did we just play badly?

2nd...We outplayed them at moments in the match even when losing even without our full team

They outplayed a strong madrid squad and also beat them a couple weeks back

Wengers target every year is to qualify for the next round, we have!
Were fine, were through

Captain

Established Member
Alfonso said:
Cos im a perfectionist. :) No, beacause I look in the big picture. I want us to win the CL badly, its a burning desire, so im pissed off we will most likely finish second and f**k up our chances, but we have been through this. I dont mind loosing, every team looses, but not when you make it easier for the opposition.

So when we win it, I assume you'll be worrying about what will happen the following season while the rest of us are celebrating...?

:wink:

nazo

Established Member
JazzG said:
Alfonso said:
The problem is momentum. And Wenger always ****s up with this. In 2004 we were on course for a treble and he made big changes against Man Utd(played Aliadere instead of Henry) and we got beat and this f*d up the next game(Chelsea).

Last season we were on a very good run, just beat Bolton off the park in the FA Cup replay and against Blackburn at home Wenger makes so many changes and we draw and loose our momentum. The next game we loose to PSV away and our season is practically over from then on.

I'd agree with that, the team we put out against Villa will be strong enough but like you say a defeat can knock the squad back especially when we have been on a long unbeaten run. We should of put a stronger defence out and even if we didn't win the match been strong enough not to lose it. I don't know how the squad will react but I'm pretty sure they will be ok, I'm not that worried. Some people here going a bit over the top I think.

If we beat Villa we are right back on track but with Hleb out, RvP just back from injury and Fabregas might not play if his injury is serious than this fixture has become a bit tougher already.

Cesc got injured?

hoyden

bluenaz said:
JazzG said:
Alfonso said:

Cesc got injured?

Yes, hamstring problem. Don't know how serious though.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

bluenaz said:
JazzG said:
Alfonso said:

Cesc got injured?
He kinda subbed himself off...
So he better be injured.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
Heard arsenes post-match on sky sports news including an update on cesc and it didnt sound too good.

Wenger was very flat when describing cesc and said he picked up a hamstring and doesnt know how long he'll be out for

Hopefully its wenger in a minor state of defeat after tonight and not a real one on cesc

We'll see tomorow if hes fit for saturday

henry79

I am blaming this defeat on Clive Tyldesley!!!!! why did he have to commentate on ITV 4 .

Seriously we were poor !!!! the only player to come out with credit is bendtner he was my man of the match

wenger made a bad judgement in playing traore he is not ready yet for the CL he looked lost out there
and senderos what can I say that havent been said we all agree is the guy is not god enough to play for arsenal cygan was even better than him he was bad to day

I dont kow why wenger didnt play 442 when ever we play this 451 fpormation we seem to f*ck it up. fabregas wasnt even in the game because wenger decided to play him behind bendtner and thats not his position we needed fabregas out there in the midfield dictating the game instead of denilson who also didnt have an impact on the game

eduardo should have played upfront instead of the wing where he didnt track back and support traore who had 2 players everytime against him.

we are going to finish 2nd in this group
cause I dont see how sevilla will not beat slavia prague and only have wenger to blame only rest your players once were garenteed the toop spot even if he wanted to rest players against sevilla hy rest then against slavia this defeat would have mattered that much.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
True this 4-5-1 got me real puzzled

Were already through so lets be positive and go for broke but you need to have a certain mentality toplay in that formation as its quite hard you know

I feel denilson and eduardo(as hes a striker) dont have that mind control to fit in this system

Bendtner showed composure and superb patience tonight for someone so young leading up top by himself

banduan

Established Member
Pffft.

We sent our CC team out for a runabout. Yeah, it had Cesc in but otherwise- move on. Nothing to see.

The only worry here is Cesc's injury. Why he was fielded I do not understand. I thought this was the reason you rested players.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom