• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shakhtar Donetsk vs Arsenal 19.45pm Wednesday 3/11/10

Gunner_JT

Surely if we win this, our 1st place is sewn up and we can start rotating a lot more in the remaining games.

Eirico

I would like us to field a Carling Cup team in this one. A trip to Ukraine could disrupt our form and preparation for the Newcastle game. Let Cesc, Nasri and Arshavin stay at home. We got a big squad atm, no reason not to use it. A draw or even a small loss will not be a disaster in this one.

Szczesny
Eboue - Koscielny - Djourou - Clichy
Lansbury - Denilson - Wilshere
Walcott - Bendtner - Rosicky

Fabianski, Squillaci, Vela, JET, Eastmond, Song, Sagna

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Yeh. Only way we'd line up something like that would be at home when the top spot is clinched. Cesc should probably be on the bench for this, just to to play it safe.

Bossa

Established Member
justinmitchell said:
We'll put at least 2-3 past them. It's whether or not we can keep 2-3 goals out.

The way we've performed recently I'm not sure that it's possible; we were completely at sea for a good 70-80 minutes against w/ham.

I'd rather not see Cesc play this game. Whats the go with Diaby these days?

Dont let the 5-1 you, Shaktar will be a different team at home. We won't have it easy there for sure. Their players surely want revanche.

We should go there with a defensive mindset and counter them with Walcott and Nasri's pace.

Smudeagle

The only change necessary from West Ham is resting Fabregas (not worth the risk with his fragile hamstrings). Wilshere, Diaby (fit?) or Rosicky can fill in.

If Wenger wants to rotate a bit more he could swap B52 with Chamakh and Arshavin with Theo, I think one of these changes is likely.

IBL

Established Member
USArsenal said:
IMO (oh, and IBL, there is no way that Vela starts away to Shakhtar.. Wenger doesnt trust him enough for that)
If that's the case then I'm struggling to see Vela's role in the squad, something is going on internally with an issue with his attitude or something else. These are definitely games he should be taking part in considering how long he's been at the club now.

Humble Rex

Established Member
I wish for a Flappy howler. Can´t stand not knowing how he will react. Rather in this match that we really can afford to lose than in a more important match.

Also hope that Cesc is fit.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Humble Rex said:
I wish for a Flappy howler. Can´t stand not knowing how he will react. Rather in this match that we really can afford to lose than in a more important match.

Lame.

Humble Rex

Established Member
Quicker than Walcott said:
Humble Rex said:

Lame.

Not really.

Wenger has kept faith in him because he has the skills to become a really good goalkeeper. He is playing well now when he is high on confidence. Lots of players are capable of that. A purple patch if you will.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes. Even the really good ones. Huge mistakes as well. Look at Reina against us and Van Der Saar the other week. They don´t let it destroy them however, and they don´t have issues for weeks/months after a howler.

What will determine if Flappy has a future with us is how he handles making mistakes. I firmly believe he has mental issues. That is what we have seen in the not so distant past. I am far from convinced that he won´t go back to what we have previously seen.

If he falls to pieces again after a howler, it makes no difference what so ever if he is the best goalkeeper in the world when full of confidence. We can´t have that at the Arsenal. Then he has to go!

Flappy for me has gone from "Never, ever again in an Arsenal goal" to "Maybe the boy has a future here after all". Not bad, and I never would have believed it after the pre season.

I just want to know! I´d rather he made a huge mistake on Wednesday because it is largely a match we can afford to lose. If Flappy is going into meltdown mode I don´t want to see it in the league, that´s all.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Hopefully Jack, Theo and Nik all start. Not too fussed about the rest of the team tbh. We will have enough to start the game as favourites.

Bossa

Established Member
Humble Rex said:

Lame.

x2

mo50

Established Member
If their performance a few weeks ago was anything to go by, we should win comfortably.

Being an away CL game, I think we may struggle though. These teams look and play completely differently at their own patch, and I think we'll draw this game.

A draw, or for that matter a loss, isn't the end of the world, although I would love to maintain this 5 game win streak we've got going. Walcott deserves a start, and both Arshavin and Chamakh could do with a breather. Rosicky is due some game time too. I'm looking forward to see Wilshere again too.

mo50

Established Member
Humble Rex said:

I think that's a bit harsh mate. I hope the reason for the crazy howlers was due to a lack of confidence, and now with his confidence sky high, we won't be seeing any of that nonsense.

I would also love to see Almunia's emotionless face on the bench when he's fit again, just for laughs. Then drop him from the squad completely and place Chesney on the bench.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Humble Rex said:

Lame.

Very lame.

redanddread

Humble Rex said:
Humble Rex said:

Lame.

Not really.

Wenger has kept faith in him because he has the skills to become a really good goalkeeper. He is playing well now when he is high on confidence. Lots of players are capable of that. A purple patch if you will.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes. Even the really good ones. Huge mistakes as well. Look at Reina against us and Van Der Saar the other week. They don´t let it destroy them however, and they don´t have issues for weeks/months after a howler.

What will determine if Flappy has a future with us is how he handles making mistakes. I firmly believe he has mental issues. That is what we have seen in the not so distant past. I am far from convinced that he won´t go back to what we have previously seen.

If he falls to pieces again after a howler, it makes no difference what so ever if he is the best goalkeeper in the world when full of confidence. We can´t have that at the Arsenal. Then he has to go!

Flappy for me has gone from "Never, ever again in an Arsenal goal" to "Maybe the boy has a future here after all". Not bad, and I never would have believed it after the pre season.

I just want to know! I´d rather he made a huge mistake on Wednesday because it is largely a match we can afford to lose. If Flappy is going into meltdown mode I don´t want to see it in the league, that´s all.

What a pathetic reason for a pathetic post! Whereas I can understand your perverse logic, why so negative?

redanddread

Win this game and we can put the CL to bed until new year. We can then use the reamining games to give fringe players game time and blood some youngsters. Important to get a result and keep momentum going.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Why would anyone hope that their goalkeeper makes mistakes? That is just crazy.

The last thing we need is our starting goalkeeper to have a meltdown. That would require Arsène to rely on either a fit again Almunia to be our starter or Szczesny to be our #1. Szczesny might be great but it would be nice if he plays more than one game for the first team before we expect him to perform week in and week out.

I hope Fabianski continues to perform well and Szczesny plays well in the Carling Cup. Hoping for anything else besides a reliable Gk is just nuts.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom