• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shakhtar Donetsk vs Arsenal 19.45pm Wednesday 3/11/10

Kain

Established Member
Midfield has really taken a beating on the injuries front no Cesc and potentially seeing both Song, Denilson miss the game through injury. Rosicky had a hard time in the CC, couldn't make an impact but if Wilshere is in one of the deeper midfield role's supplying passes he should get more joy.

This could be an opportunity to use Nasri in midfield in a central position. He did say he would rather play centrally, yet being one of our most dangerous attackers would we want to mess him about?

Some tough decisions for team selection I’d still prefer we play a strong eleven and get the points on the board seeing as our final two Champions League group stage games are in between some particularly nasty fixtures.

Bossa

Established Member
Guess we will see something like this.

Fabianski
Sagna Squillaci Koscielny Clichy
Rosicky Denilson/Eastmond Wilshere
Walcott Bendtner Nasri

Chesney Djourou Eboue Lansbury JET Vela Chamakh

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I hope this is not one of those games where we put out a makeshift team, and get spanked just because we've qualified. Shakhtar are a different kettle of fish at home, and much much better than Partizan Belgrade.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
I think it's best at this stage of the CL and the season to be a bit cautious with borderline fit players. Our record over there is poor, but it's not worth the risk of knocking players out.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Well, Fabregas is out - I don't think there's anyone else we desperately need to coddle (though Song and Denilson are in doubt as well).

With Vermaelen's prolonged absence I'm a bit worried about further defensive injuries.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Big Poppa said:
I hope this is not one of those games where we put out a makeshift team, and get spanked just because we've qualified. Shakhtar are a different kettle of fish at home, and much much better than Partizan Belgrade.

I believe that Wenger will seriously put out a team capable of winning this game. Our squad is that bit more experienced and able this season and thus, although we shall have a changed team, it will include experienced campaigners in its ranks.

All of Walcott, Bendter, Rosicky, Diaby, Wilshere, Eboue, Djourou are chomping at the bit to get a game.

I hope he plays the same defensive 5. The only changes I see could be Eboue at right back for Sagna and Djourou for Squillaci, however, I hope he starts with the same back 5 we had against West Ham.

Midfield could be Rosicky, Wilshere & Diaby/Denilson/Song (whomever is "fit")

Up front we could have Bendter, Walcott & Vela/Nasri/Arshavin. I would love to see Nasri or AA(it seems that Arshavin might be rested) start as Vela has not shown me enough this season to believe that he could be a match winner in the Ukraine. However, if he did play and scored and had an influential game, I would be more than happy for the lad.

All in all not a bad team. This game is not the one to blood the younger 'uns. We need a positive result here and if we get it, then we can blood the JET's, Lansbury's, Eastmond's, Szczeny's etc in the next match.

Eirico

No Eastmond, Lansbury and JET for the reserves against Villa now, so they will definitely travel.
No Afobe either btw, so it looks like he's on the way to Huddersfield.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Eirico said:
No Eastmond, Lansbury and JET for the reserves against Villa now, so they will definitely travel.
No Afobe either btw, so it looks like he's on the way to Huddersfield.

As back up I imagine.

mistaT

Established Member
----------Fab-------------
-Eboue-Squil---Kos-Clichy-
---Wilshere---?-----------
--------Rosicky-----------
-Walcott-----------Nasri--
---------Bendtner---------

Pretty confident that's what we'll see, not sure who will be alongside Wilshere though. I'd be real concerned if we started Wilshere and Eastmond/Lansbury so I do hope one of the DDS is fit.

Look for early subs from Wenger if the game is lost, won, or who knows even close with Vela and JET getting some time.

I think this is the kind of game that those two (Vela and JET) need to use to prove they want in.
None of the pressure of the league, but still a meaningful game to demonstrate your drive, desire and potential.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Lucescu about refereeing in our CL Group

'After three games, Arsenal has one card, while the rest of the teams have seven or eight. That says something.'

'We have analysed the game that was in London to draw attention to the mistakes.'
Lucescu added: 'Not in any way do I think that Arsenal is stronger than Shakhtar. We will try tomorrow to demonstrate that on the field.'

Comedy Gold I've to say.
:lol:

Humble Rex

Established Member
If Diaby is fit I want him to play if Song is absent. In our first couple of matches when Song was out Diaby was brilliant defensively. It was only when Song came back that he suddenly started to somewhat neglect his defensive duties.

Diaby, Wilshere, Rozza at CM for me.

A start for Feo and possibly Nik wouldn´t hurt either, and I don´t want Djourou in the starting XI.

Rorz

Established Member
Apparently these guys haven't lost a home game for 48 matches? Sounds like a tough place to go.

arsenallegends

Established Member
I like your line up and I would include Diaby in midfield if Denilson doesn't pass fitness. I'm invested in Vela's future here so any minutes from him are always welcome. Diaby and Denilson will be left in the dust by Wilshere if they don't sort themselves out! **** me its been 4-5 years for each one of them.

Humble Rex

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
Lucescu about refereeing in our CL Group

'After three games, Arsenal has one card, while the rest of the teams have seven or eight. That says something.'

'We have analysed the game that was in London to draw attention to the mistakes.'
Lucescu added: 'Not in any way do I think that Arsenal is stronger than Shakhtar. We will try tomorrow to demonstrate that on the field.'

Comedy Gold I've to say.
:lol:

What a knob!

Humble Rex

Established Member
arsenallegends said:
I like your line up and I would include Diaby in midfield if Denilson doesn't pass fitness. I'm invested in Vela's future here so any minutes from him are always welcome. Diaby and Denilson will be left in the dust by Wilshere if they don't sort themselves out! **** me its been 4-5 years for each one of them.

Vela has done nothing to merit a start IMO, and I would start Diaby ahead of Denilson if Song is absent.

To be honest we looked more solid through the middle in the opening couple of games when Diaby was playing instead of Song...

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Sorry to ask, but is Diaby fit again?
Haven't read anything on that case in any of the recent articles on arse.com.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
No news is good news, I'd say then.

Thought he was fit after I read some here are suggesting that he might start inplace of Denilson, but that probably wasn't referred to tomorrow's match.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom