• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sheffield Utd Vs Arsenal F.C. | Wed,Oct 31st, 7.45pm | B. L.

Nutsy

Established Member
I'm back and after so long of not creating match threads, here it is. Ofcourse the opening graphic credit goes to Mr. RC8. - Absolutely brilliant. And another away game, we're up against Sheffield United!

f_SheffieldUtm_6f82d7c.png

Before getting on to the facts on the Championship side, Sheffield United.. Let's look back to a previous game.

Brief report on previous game – Liverpool F.C. Vs Arsenal F.C.
A hard fighting games away in Anfield, never an easy prospect, but the Gunners see it through, albeit a 1-1 draw.

It’s no surprise that Arsenal are known for their late late scoring goals, inevitably to come back despite 1-0 down or 2-0 down. The hero for the tale in Anfield was none other than Fabregas scoring at the 80th minute.

Liverpool were off very strong start and placed the Gunners on their toes as Steven Gerrard scored home through a free-kick just outside Arsenal’s penalty box after just seven minutes.

Arsenal however, pushed forward, refuse to die down and played the well known beautiful football, disappointingly failed to level with the hosts.

Emmanuel Eboue smashed a brilliant shot but unfortunately hits the post in the second half, with Fabregas notably put the rebound off wide.

Was not long however, that Fabregas made amends with only 10 minutes left in the clock, by Alexander Hleb’s assist as he bide his time for his pass perfectly finding Fabregas's run and he flicked the ball home as Jose Reina was wrong-footed.

Arsenal could’ve easily win in Anfield, but Fabregas failed to score it home as his side foot shot from 20 yards hit the post, however Arsenal back on top of the table firmly levelled with arc rivals Manchester United with a game in hand and the hosts standing in 6th.

Sheffield United F.C. Vital Statistics

sheffieldvitalssbt6.png

On 22 May 2007 it was announced at a press conference that Bryan Robson and Brian Kidd would be the new management team at Sheffield United. His first match in charge was a home match against Colchester United on 11 August in a 2-2 draw. His first win was three days later in a 3-1 win against Chesterfield in the Carling Cup. United subsequently collected nine points in their first 10 league matches, leaving the Blades in 20th place in the Championship and, it prompted Robson to comment about the situation.

Sheffield United F.C. Honours and League Histories

sheffieldleaguehistorypg6.png

• Football League Division One
o Champions: 1897-98
o Runners-up: 1896-97, 1899-1900

• Football League Championship
o Runners-up: 2005-06

• Football League Division Two
o Champions: 1952-53
o Runners-up: 1892-93, 1938-39, 1960-61, 1970-71, 1989-90

• Football League Division Four
o Champions: 1981-82

• FA Cup
o Winners : 1899, 1902, 1915, 1925
o Runners-up: 1901, 1936

sheffieldleaguehisky4.png

We all remember Sheffield United now don't we? Where we lost under Neil Warnock, such a shame the bloke's not the manager anymore and their Championship League form is not looking very well..

Championship League Table

sheffielduz7.png

I can't see it any other way that, We should win this game no problem. But this is football, anything can happen and since this is "just" the Carling Cup, I doubt Arsène will field the strongest as we have a bigger fish to fry on Saturday.

It will be difficult to see who will be in Centre back, but I couldn't see anyone else but Nordveit to play and Song to play aswell with Senderos still out and reserve Gallas and Toure for the Mancs game.

Question is, WHO will play for Goal Keeper? Would it be Fabianski OR Jens Lehmann? Who will be upfront? Will it be Bendtner and Theo upfront? I personally would rather have the kid to run this game completely..

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!!

smaleesheffieldnp2.png

P/s : Why the hell is this game is on Skysports 1? while other much more important games barely made it around. Not that I'm complaining, but it's bothering me, when we're up against a Championship side...

Jkreffer

Established Member
Is Senderos back for this one?

Lehmann/Fabianski
Hoyte Song Senderos Traore
Walcott Diarra Denilson Diaby
Bendtner Eduardo

I can see Gilberto being saved for the Utd game as I think he has more than a chance of starting that one. Really excited about this one but it will be a big test. Hopefully we can give these cloggers a footballing lesson at their place whihc would be long overdue.

Nutsy

Established Member
No, Senderos is still out apparently. He should be returning before the United game though.

Jkreffer

Established Member
Oh dear...

I can't see Wenger throwing Nordveit in there to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me but I just have a feeling we may be seeing Gilberto and Song in there then...

Jkreffer

Established Member
Two weeks I thought, which was...about two weeks ago. With out medical staff though they probably mean two weeks before the NHS will deal with them.

Nutsy

Established Member
Two weeks onwards from October 18th and he's expected to be back 3rd November. The Mancs game. I tend to agree, Gilberto and Song might start this one..

Jkreffer

Established Member
God and I thought Senderos and Song gave me the willies before the Newcastle game. At least there was a recognised defender in there. This game may have suited Senderos aswell.

Zico

Established Member
I actually suspect we'll be seeing that ironman called Toure in defense.

We cannot afford an untimely slip-up, even with a second string side in a second rate cup.

Otherwise, a young team should be able to take this game. All of Diaby, Denilson, Diarra and Gilberto should feature at some point in midfield.

It will be interesting to see who starts in attack amongst Walcott, Eduardo and Bendtner. I do not want to see too much of Walcott in midfield. The man operates best near the goals.

stuart

Established Member
With United up next i cant say i care too much about this one. Take no risks what so ever

Fabianski
Hoyte Song (not kolo) Traore
Walcott Denilson Diarra Diaby
Bentner Eduardo

Im pretty sure Kolo will play but i dont want him to. If Eduardo is gonna play against United, he is the only one i would take a risk with and play. The more games he gets now the better and theres a good chance of a goal which would do him good. If Theo is to start against United, which i doubt he will, he shouldn't play here

Jkreffer

Established Member
Yeah maybe stick Toure in if we progress to the latter parts of the tournament like we did last year. However we don't want to knakcer him for the sake of it in what will be a hard, physical game on Wednesday. Not sure even Toure can come out of three of them in a week completely fresh and able.

Mark

Established Member
Not at all bothered about this game for what it is, I must be honest, but I do hope Walcott, Bendtner and Eduardo can impress and stake their claim for a place against Man Utd. I'd go with something like this:

Fabianski

Hoyte Song Nordveit Traore

Walcott Diarra Denilson Diaby

Bendtner Eduardo

We should win, even with that defence. I can see it being 3-1 to us, hopefully with a goal each for Theo, Bendy and Eddie.

Double_H

Established Member
i doubt Arsène risking Toure and gallas in this match

we dont have anyone in the back for the Mancs game

he will play

Fabinisky

Hoyte Song Gilberto Tarore

Eboue(Theo) Diarra Denilson Rosicky

Bendtner Edu

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Wouldn't be surprised if Nacer Barazite gets some playing time this match. Last season I think he would have, if he wouldn't have to play a qualfication tournament for Holland U17. Recently, unlike Van den Berg he wasn't in the Holland U19 team. Could well be he asked not to be selected, remember he was gutted, when his selection last season prevented him from getting playing time at Arsenal.

Fabiansky

Hoyte Song Gilberto Traore

Eboue Diarra Denilson Diaby

Bendtner Eduardo

awooga83

Established Member
No point risking any first teamers on this one with a crucial game following it so it will be time for the reserves and youth to get a run out.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
so happy my country's tv finally shows arsenal carling matches. will get to see this live.

will expect bendtner, eduardo to feature as well as maybe walcott. should feature more reserves to keep the fringe players fit for manure

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
It will be interesting to see whether Walcott plays.

Also I'll be shocked if Gilberto doesn't play.

I would go with:

--------------------Fabianski

Hoyte------Song-----Gilberto-----Traore

Walcott----Denilson---Diarra----Diaby

-------------Eduardo----Bendtner

tam1886

Established Member
Don't want to see anyone who might be involved in the Man Utd game but I suppose there will be one or two maybe. At the same time I don't want to see Gilberto and Song at CB, although could this be in Wenger's grand play to fit most of his Cm's into one game? Think about it, he could field every single one of his CM's in this game if he wanted. Except the goalie and main striker, he could put out a team full of CM's

Diarra-----Gilberto---Song-----Flamini

Denilson--Fabregas--Diaby--Rosicky

--------------Hleb

Anyway, now i've got the stupidity out of the way, i'm still unsure as to who i'd play.

---------------Fabianski

Hoyte----Song----??????----Traore

Eboue---Diarra---Denilson---Diaby

----------Bendtner--Eduardo

That CB spot is tricky, and i'm guessing Wenger will go with either Gilberto or Toure. I'd hate to see Toure play with such an important game coming up, but at the same time, James Beattie would have a field day against Song and Gilberto. At least Gilberto would be able to match his aerially so i'd go for him.

I can see us conceding in this game, but I also see us scoring enough to comfortably see them off. Bendtner might have a field day, and i'm hoping the toughness of Sheffield United will bring Eduardo that little bit closer to match speed than some other games might.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I guess AW will start Eduardo and Ade in the ManUred game. So that leaves me a probable starting XI in Sheffield as:

----------Fabianski
Hoyte--Song--Gilberto--Traore
Eboue--Denilson--Diarra--Diaby
-------Bendtner--Walcott

Sub: Lehmann, Toure, Merida, Gibbs, Eduardo

I just realise the plot of starting Song and Gilberto in CB sounds like suicidal, but I'm sure Diarra and Denilson will provide good protection in front of them.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom