• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sheffield Utd Vs Arsenal F.C. | Wed,Oct 31st, 7.45pm | B. L.

ibby

Established Member
go49oner said:
Great news guys Paul Scholes will need knee surgery and will be out for 3 months. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 059527.stm

I disagree, him playing against us would give 'em an attacking option. Now it will force 'em to play Fletcher or Anderson whom are much better tacklers.

Last season we dominated the midfield against them because they didn't have a proper DM, now they got one in Hargreaves I expect to draw against United.

nidza7

Established Member
USArsenal said:
nidza7 said:
I`d love to see,but it won`t happen

Hoyte Eboue Silva Traore

Walcott Diarra Denilson Rozza

Bendtner Eduardo

you want Eboue and Gilberto at CB??????? LOLOLOL

Eboue at CB... that's a new one....

why?

when we signed him he was introduced by Arsène as RB or CB.

Def. better then Song.

ibby

Established Member
nidza7 said:
USArsenal said:
nidza7 said:

Hoyte Eboue Silva Traore

Bendtner Eduardo

why?

Def. better then Song.

You clearly didn't watch the Newcastle game

nidza7

Established Member
ibby said:
nidza7 said:
USArsenal said:
nidza7 said:

Hoyte Eboue Silva Traore

Bendtner Eduardo

why?

Def. better then Song.

You clearly didn't watch the Newcastle game

all right,all right I didn`t.This is what I`d like too see,clearly not the lineup we`ll see.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Hoyte's capable of playing in central defence, but I had no idea that Eboue can also play there. I just can't imagine Eboue in central defence. He's probably still dive and feign injury in every game!

Alfonso

Established Member
Eboue in central defence? Your having a laugh aint ya? Might as well play Theo there, he would do a better job.

I would play Bentner and Eduardo up front, hopefully one of them will score so they could possibly have the chance to partner Ade on Sat. I would NOT play 4-5-1 against Utd at HOME, and Theo is not ready for this kind of game yet. One of Bentner and Eduardo must start against Utd, and I would choose the former.

Back to this game, I want revenge on these Shefield ****s. Remember they beat us last Jan? That was the worst defeat of last season. Hope that mug Chris Morgan is playing for them, what goes around comes around...

Personally, I think Traore is going to have a blinder tomorrow.

RC8

Established Member
I hate Chris Morgan (edited so that no-one decides to take legal action against me :lol: knowing Sheffield clubs it's always possible!). Dirty bastard.

Hopefully our youngsters will avenge us. I really want, just like you Alfonso, revenge from what they did to us last January.

Original_AAA

I'm so happy I could dance. The game is being shown live on Norwegian TV! It is a miracle that they show an Arsenal game when a Liverpool game is also showing!

HOORAY!

Looking forward to seeing our youngsters show of again.

Zico

Established Member
To be honest, I am very disappointed in Gilberto. This is a guy who is not getting game time at his favoured position, so he should ideally be happy to come in and put in a professional showing for the coach. Obviously, he is not going to remove Toure and Gallas from preferred central defense pairing. The Sheffield game was an opportunity for him to gain match fitness and maybe be in the running to partner Fabregas in midfield against the Mancs. I think it's a tremendous miscalculation on his part.

It will be interesting to see what kind of message Wenger sends regarding this issue. If Gilberto doesn't play tomorrow, it would be ludicrous to pick him for United.

Forget the Copa America garbage Wenger fed us. This is the real reason Gilberto is not captain. Wenger could foresee competiton in midfield and the potential for a diminished role for the veteran.

ibby

Established Member
quincy42 said:
To be honest, I am very disappointed in Gilberto. This is a guy who is not getting game time at his favoured position, so he should ideally be happy to come in and put in a professional showing for the coach. Obviously, he is not going to remove Touré and Gallas from preferred central defense pairing. The Sheffield game was an opportunity for him to gain match fitness and maybe be in the running to partner Fabregas in midfield against the Mancs. I think it's a tremendous miscalculation on his part.

It will be interesting to see what kind of message Wenger sends regarding this issue. If Gilberto doesn't play tomorrow, it would be ludicrous to pick him for United.

Forget the Copa America garbage Wenger fed us. This is the real reason Gilberto is not captain. Wenger could foresee competiton in midfield and the potential for a diminished role for the veteran.

But look at it in Gilberto's angle.

Must have been a very frustrating time for him so far this season.

1. He was captain for the majority of last season, doing a fabulous job it has to be said.
2. Last season was probably his best in an Arsenal shirt individually.
3. Scored more goals than all our midfield put together last season.
4. Won the Copa America.

So he had a pretty good season (understatement) & now comes back & cannot get a game.

I am not taking sides ofcourse, but you can understand his anger.

I just hope he doesn't go in January, his experience will be vital & him going will be a hammer blow to us for our quest for the title.

If he wants to go he can go at the end of the season, not January.

Zico

Established Member
ibby said:
quincy42 said:
To be honest, I am very disappointed in Gilberto. This is a guy who is not getting game time at his favoured position, so he should ideally be happy to come in and put in a professional showing for the coach. Obviously, he is not going to remove Touré and Gallas from preferred central defense pairing. The Sheffield game was an opportunity for him to gain match fitness and maybe be in the running to partner Fabregas in midfield against the Mancs. I think it's a tremendous miscalculation on his part.

1. He was captain for the majority of last season, doing a fabulous job it has to be said.
4. Won the Copa America.

So he had a pretty good season (understatement) & now comes back & cannot get a game.

I just hope he doesn't go in January, his experience will be vital & him going will be a hammer blow to us for our quest for the title.

Very good points, Ibby.

Another angle to look at it from is that although he was one of our best players last year, that team was one of Wenger's worst. We didn't flow the way we did. Part of that may be down to Flamini's mobility, and ability to pressure the offensive team much higher up the team and create more opportunities for possession. Gilberto is more likely to do his defensive work in our own half of the field.

It could be that he doesn't fit our preferred system this year, but is still useful for certain engagements. I know Kel suggested going this way last year, and most of us blasted him, but for the majority of the games, Flamini/Fabregas has been a mobile, effective midfield. Sometimes, the best players don't necessarily give you the best team. Look at the departure of Ruud. The lesser incumbents rose to the challenge. I think the United attack is generally harder to defend against now than it was at any point with Ruud leading the line, but it is clear that he is a superior goal scorer to Tevez or Rooney.

I hope his time isn't up, but if Arsenal can win titles without Henry and with diminished contributions from Gilberto, I'll take that any day over the barren recent past.

Asterix

Established Member
That's a team with plenty of strength and mobility. It will be great to see Walcott partnering Bendtner too - those two could develop a decent partnership with games together.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Diarra play. I think he will be a strong threat to Flamini's starting spot soon, which will keep the Flamster on his toes.

Finally, it will be an important game for Lukasz - he has to organise his defence well, particularly any walls we have to put up....

stiiphunn

Established Member
quincy42 said:
ibby said:
quincy42 said:

4. Won the Copa America.

Very good points, Ibby.

Another angle to look at it from is that although he was one of our best players last year, that team was one of Wenger's worst. We didn't flow the way we did. Part of that may be down to Flamini's mobility, and ability to pressure the offensive team much higher up the team and create more opportunities for possession. Gilberto is more likely to do his defensive work in our own half of the field.

It could be that he doesn't fit our preferred system this year, but is still useful for certain engagements. I know Kel suggested going this way last year, and most of us blasted him, but for the majority of the games, Flamini/Fabregas has been a mobile, effective midfield. Sometimes, the best players don't necessarily give you the best team. Look at the departure of Ruud. The lesser incumbents rose to the challenge. I think the United attack is generally harder to defend against now than it was at any point with Ruud leading the line, but it is clear that he is a superior goal scorer to Tevez or Rooney.

I hope his time isn't up, but if Arsenal can win titles without Henry and with diminished contributions from Gilberto, I'll take that any day over the barren recent past.

You are completly right.

I think it was ricky who last season said our problems weren't linked with our lack of wingers but with our lack of dynamism in the midfield.
I think Flamini may have fixed that a little bit. He just gets the ball back and passes it forward. He used to be a bit of a headless chicken but he's changed that- he doesn't run around anymore, he knows where to be and therefore is more effective.

I like Gilberto as a person but as a player he's maybe not what we need in midfield. His passing is average and everything is a lot slower when he's playing.

I know that some fans really like Gilberto and want in back into the team, but as long as the Flamini/Cesc pairing works, breaking it would not be a good idea. Finding the right balance really is difficult and we need to keep it as it is if it works.

Plus, Flamini's bringing some 'ingredients' that are vital IMO. He's got a big personnality and his charisma is very important for us during the game.[/b]

Alfonso

Established Member
Toure should really, really not play in this game. Weve only got bloody Man Utd on Sat! I know Toure could prob play 5 times in one week, but we would really be shooting ourselfs in the foot if he starts tomorrow night. I couldnt care less about this match, and it is not worth playing Toure, not at all. Im actually quite disapointed with Gilberto. Thought he was the model pro, and assuming the reports are true then I will have lost some respect for him. Surely it would make sense playing tomorrow as to have a chance to play on Saturday. Looks like Toure is going to be the remaining player from the 'invincibles' first side very soon...

Zico

Established Member
Thanks, No. 8. As I predicted, Toure is in there. We just don't have enoug depth at central defense to leave him out. I'm excited by midfield. All of Eboue, Denilson and Diaby can do an attacking job.

Hopefully, we're two up in teh second half so that we can see if Merida is the second coming of Fab.

Alfonso

Established Member
stiiphunn said:
You are completly right.

I think it was ricky who last season said our problems weren't linked with our lack of wingers but with our lack of dynamism in the midfield.
I think Flamini may have fixed that a little bit. He just gets the ball back and passes it forward. He used to be a bit of a headless chicken but he's changed that- he doesn't run around anymore, he knows where to be and therefore is more effective.

I like Gilberto as a person but as a player he's maybe not what we need in midfield. His passing is average and everything is a lot slower when he's playing.

I know that some fans really like Gilberto and want in back into the team, but as long as the Flamini/Cesc pairing works, breaking it would not be a good idea. Finding the right balance really is difficult and we need to keep it as it is if it works.

Plus, Flamini's bringing some 'ingredients' that are vital IMO. He's got a big personnality and his charisma is very important for us during the game.[/b]

But the difference in quality between Flams and Gilberto is made clear in the big games. There is only so much running and 'acting like Gattuso' can do in a big game. Flamini does not have the intellgience, tactical ability and quality that is required in the big games, which Gilberto has in abudence. If Gilberto did not do ' a lehmann' (allegedley) then I would have started him on Sat. Gilberto has an excellent record in the big games and sometimes is the difference, i.e. Chelsea away last season. He is able to cover the oppositon's runner, and make timely tackles and knows what to do when, wheras Flamini is more reactive and spontaneous in the big games. Gilberto is a more defined player.

Gilberto may be slower, but his tangible and intangible qualties out weighs those of Flamini in the big games. Gilberto OWNED Requellme in 2006. Flamini couldnt do that in his dreams.

Flamini is like the Adebayor of central midfield.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom