• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League General Thread 23/24

bergholt

The 00s had stars like Figo, Raul, Davids, Seedorf, Cambiasso, Deco, Gerrard, Lampard, Henry, Eto’o Ronaldinho, Kaka, Rivaldo, R9, Carlos, Puyol, Zidane, Zanetti, Cafu, Cannavaro, Ballack, Del Piero, Keane, Scholes, Vieira, Pires, Terry, Ferdinand. The list goes on, where have all these players gone???

First drain was when MLS added designated players and started to be able to afford good Europeans not too far after their prime. Beckham, Henry, Keane, Cahill, Villa, Lampard, etc. In the generation before that these guys traded down from big clubs to medium clubs so kept the performance floor in Europe higher.

And then the second drain is happening now with Saudi. Add Benzema, Fabinho, Neves, SMS etc to random lower ranked CL clubs and the whole comp is more competitive.

Two more years and Saudi clubs will be in the CL and then it’ll change the dynamic further.

Melquiades

First time in a while I’ve taken a proper interest in the CL i.e actually looking through the groups and their make up.

Wow, the quality in this competition and sport has taken a nosedive over the last 10-20 years. It’s like looking a tier between CL and EL right now compared to the last time we were in it.

And I’m not even talking about the 00s, where you had multiple sides from Serie A in Milan, Inter and Juventus who were heavyweights. That was prime CL era, getting to the final was actually a massive achievement back then compared to now.

Biggest difference is mainly that Serie A is broke.

All of the other usual suspects are mainly the same but Inter/Milan/Juventus have dropped levels.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

The question is really would we prefer a group with 3 decent teams with no fodder or a group with 1 top team & 2 fodder sides? Because we’ve got the former.

Not an “easy group” by any means because all 3 teams could feasibly get a result against us if we are below par. Play to our level and attack them, and we should be fine for 4 wins at a minimum.

Dodero

Hopefully Arteta wont delivery any disasterclass like the ones against Panathinaikos, PSV, Sporting Lisbon, etc.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Even tho we're in it, this competition still doesn't hit anymore. Super League will happen in the coming years thankfully

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Even tho we're in it, this competition still doesn't hit anymore. Super League will happen in the coming years thankfully
Beg to differ.
Was a tad emotional hearing the anthem and seeing our name in the draw. As a kid when growing up, watching the draw and praying for a good draw in the groups, the KO stages was part of the memorable moments under Wenger as I felt that it was the one thing Wenger really wanted to win. Didn't realise I miss this so much and failing in UCL even in the groups really is better than failing in KO stages of Europa.

This season UCL is particularly interesting for me, because of so many classic teams in it. Gala, Lens, PSV, Union, Sociedad, Feyenoord, Lazio, Newcastle etc. Feels like the early 2000s. Just missing Valencia to complete it.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Beg to differ.
Was a tad emotional hearing the anthem and seeing our name in the draw. As a kid when growing up, watching the draw and praying for a good draw in the groups, the KO stages was part of the memorable moments under Wenger as I felt that it was the one thing Wenger really wanted to win. Didn't realise I miss this so much and failing in UCL even in the groups really is better than failing in KO stages of Europa.

This season UCL is particularly interesting for me, because of so many classic teams in it. Gala, Lens, PSV, Union, Sociedad, Feyenoord, Lazio, Newcastle etc. Feels like the early 2000s. Just missing Valencia to complete it.
Absolutely, and I think I have never seen a group as tough as group F now.

PSG, Newcastle, Dortmund and AC Milan. Usually there is at least one lesser club even in groups of death.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Absolutely, and I think I have never seen a group as tough as group F now.

PSG, Newcastle, Dortmund and AC Milan. Usually there is at least one lesser club even in groups of death.
Yeah, ridiculous. But I do remember Newcastle always getting extreme groups under Bobby Robson.

Just googled, they had Inter, Barca and Leverkusen in 2003

coleio

Hopefully Arteta wont delivery any disasterclass like the ones against Panathinaikos, PSV, Sporting Lisbon, etc.

Don't think Sporting was a disaster. We rotated and got a draw at their place and should have won at home were it not for a once in a lifetime lucky goal. Then went out on penalties.

GoonerJay24

First drain was when MLS added designated players and started to be able to afford good Europeans not too far after their prime. Beckham, Henry, Keane, Cahill, Villa, Lampard, etc. In the generation before that these guys traded down from big clubs to medium clubs so kept the performance floor in Europe higher.

And then the second drain is happening now with Saudi. Add Benzema, Fabinho, Neves, SMS etc to random lower ranked CL clubs and the whole comp is more competitive.

Two more years and Saudi clubs will be in the CL and then it’ll change the dynamic further.

It's nothing to do with ageing players leaving the European leagues.

The issue is coaches and fans have accepted system players now; hence you don't see many players performing through instincts like the superstars from previous generations would.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom