• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
3 games into the season and people talking about a New manager rather then getting behind Emery.Somethings never change about Arsenal mania.
No word on extension talks or the option yet. Emery can be gone in 10 months on a clean break.

Of course a new deal by this regime changes everything.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Man U is a fine example of all those crazy opinions about the managers. 3 big name managers after Ferguson failed so hard there that it was embarrassing to put that job on a CV, but 4th manager comes in with less experience and everybody agrees that he shouldn't manage a big club anymore. So may I ask, what's the difference between LVG/Mourinho and Ole? All 3 of them did a crapy job with different experience levels so that rules out experience as a factor of success. Could it be that none of them have the ability to be creative and innovative?

Ole has a way to go to match LVG & Mourinho. Both may have made bad mistakes & had messy exits but won trophies / finished top four.

History may look kindly on Van Gaals top four first season & an FA Cup second season. Mourinho winning the Europa League, the Carling Cup, got to an FA Cup final & a 2nd place League finish.

Keplaz

Maybe if we sign Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets and 3 Brazilian forwards then the football will become a little more entertaining?
Those three are too old. We need younger players. And £200m on Neymar, £120m on Firmino and maybe £180m on Gabriel Jesus would do the trick.

blaze_of_glory

Its not really a few games if you factor the disaster we had end of last season, its rolling on imho
yeah this is the worst part for me. We’ve not looked convincing for a very long time. Could very easily have lost or drawn our first two games this season but scraped by.

I think the best we’ve ever looked under Emery was still Aug - November last season. Which was before he’d fully implemented his style onto the team.

blaze_of_glory

Maybe if we sign Iniesta, Xavi and Busquets and 3 Brazilian forwards then the football will become a little more entertaining?
We have amazing forwards and quality young midfielders here right now and we still set up to play like we’ve been promoted from the Championship and need to feel our way around the EPL to avoid getting destroyed.

I’ve said before I’d back Emery if he gets us playing exciting football. Still waiting though.

say yes

forum master baiter
yeah this is the worst part for me. We’ve not looked convincing for a very long time. Could very easily have lost or drawn our first two games this season but scraped by.

I think the best we’ve ever looked under Emery was still Aug - November last season. Which was before he’d fully implemented his style onto the team.

Nah, we were winning a lot back then but the performances were unconvincing.

The best period (for me) was comfortably that three month spell starting with the Chelsea home game in January (culminating with the Napoli games in April).

Terrific run of performances and results (in some really tricky fixtures) that put us in pole position for top 4.

blaze_of_glory

Nah, we were winning a lot back then but the performances were unconvincing.

The best period (for me) was comfortably that three month spell starting with the Chelsea home game in January (culminating with the Napoli games in April).

Terrific run of performances and results (in some really tricky fixtures) that put us in pole position for top 4.
We played some good stuff in that period, but it then led directly into our frankly laughable end of season run. I’m not sure why it fell off so hard, but I think we’re still struggling to recover from that.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Astonishing what some people will use as evidence to try and make out why Emery is failing/will fail. Either declaring our squad as 3rd best in the league (without taking in consideration injuries to key players and integrating new players) then saying if he finishes below 3rd place he will have failed. Or saying we are going backwards and using stats which don't even back up that opinion.

There is no shame if you don't like or rate Emery. It would be easier to just say that.

No one can make a compelling argument yet, for the simple reason it is too early. End of this season is the only time when we can look at his 2 years here and make some kind of judgement whether he has failed or succeed.

Tony's nose

I wonder if he has been bought in to settle the squad as they hunt for a manger they really want.The Bruce Rioch effect , wasn't really wanted yet needed someone after the George Graham fiasco.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We played some good stuff in that period, but it then led directly into our frankly laughable end of season run. I’m not sure why it fell off so hard, but I think we’re still struggling to recover from that.

I think that patch of great form directly correlated to Ramsey and Özil getting minutes.

Emery's Arsenal really, really struggles to retain possession and consistently transition the ball from defense to attack. This is why Özil doesn't thrive under Emery because we don't have tactics for getting him, or any attackers, the ball in dangerous positions.

However, once Emery played Ramsey as a B2B he now had a midfielder who had no problem getting the ball from defense and transitioning into attack. Additionally, once the ball got into the attack, and Özil could get the ball, Ramsey also made runs into the box and became a goalscoring threat.

Once Ramsey got injured our midfield fell apart, and our season collapsed.

The two players that Emery thinks are expendable basically saved his first season.

Emery is an awful coach.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Astonishing what some people will use as evidence to try and make out why Emery is failing/will fail.

Goes both ways. The length some go to defend every move of his is just as embarrassing.

We did alright vs Pool. If we implement similar tactics in away games going forward I think we'll better than recent years, especially with our new signings.

However I still understand people wanting more or to do things differently. Mentioning Liverpool are CL winners, 97 points, blabla, is incredibly boring, and doesn't help the debate one bit.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Goes both ways. The length some go to defend every move of his is just as embarrassing.

We did alright vs Pool. If we implement similar tactics in away games going forward I think we'll better than recent years, especially with our new signings.

However I still understand people wanting more or to do things differently. Mentioning Liverpool are CL winners, 97 points, blabla, is incredibly boring, and doesn't help the debate one bit.

I mean it might be boring but it gives you an idea of where Liverpool are at and where we are at, and the reason it helps is because people expect a lot better when in reality there's too much of a difference between the two teams at this stage.

In terms of the set-up, in my opinion it is a lose lose against a superior team on most days.

That's just my opinion anyway, some fans probably think a different approach would get a different result.

I mean it might be boring but it gives you an idea of where Liverpool are at and where we are at, and the reason it helps is because people expect a lot better when in reality there's too much of a difference between the two teams at this stage.

In terms of the set-up, in my opinion it is a lose lose against a superior team on most days.

That's just my opinion anyway, some fans probably think a different approach would get a different result.

Its not just boring against Liverpool. Its boring almost every time we play. We don't know how to defend. Yet that seems were all of our focus is going in training. Emery can't stress enough in his interviews how much he wants to defend but we barely improved on that in his time here.

But its not all his fault though. Look at our center back signings since Emery came in.

Benchwarmer from Dortmund
A 18 year old kid that is not a the club this season
Brazilian Mustafi in his final years

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

I guess it goes both ways, even if I think the posts bringing up Liverpool's current status and their achievements last season, are more in response to counter the over the top negative slant on that particular game.

I wasn't actually having a go at everyone who is critical of Emery, our results, performances or any combination of those. There are a quite a few posters here who aren't at all impressed with Emery, they usually are very clear about what they don't like, (defensive football, 5 at the back, playing Auba on the wing, playing Xhaka all the time, benching Laca and Torreira in big games etc) however they're trying to stay open minded, they're willing to give credit when it is due and criticise when it is warranted. They are fairly restrained too, willing to give more time to see if things change, even if they think he won't be a success here. Believe it or not, sometimes I actually agree more with them than the pro Emery camp. I also respect them a lot, even if most of the time I dont agree with their opinions

I was talking about the posters who clearly can't stand Emery and are willing to use every and anything they can get their hands on and Anything good that happens was in spite of Emery. They're are willing to jump on his back for complete nonsensical stuff. 'He is going to sign Ever Banega, we need to get rid'. When that didn't happen 'I want him gone 'cos he won't play our youth'. Or good players won't sign for us while he is our manager. The utter contempt they have for Emery is evident by the vitriolic attacks.

Maybe it is me, but I like to give our managers time before we start to drag them through the mud.

I guess it goes both ways, even if I think the posts bringing up Liverpool's current status and their achievements last season, are more in response to counter the over the top negative slant on that particular game.

I wasn't actually having a go at everyone who is critical of Emery, our results, performances or any combination of those. There are a quite a few posters here who aren't at all impressed with Emery, they usually are very clear about what they don't like, (defensive football, 5 at the back, playing Auba on the wing, playing Xhaka all the time, benching Laca and Torreira in big games etc) however they're trying to stay open minded, they're willing to give credit when it is due and criticise when it is warranted. They are fairly restrained too, willing to give more time to see if things change, even if they think he won't be a success here. Believe it or not, sometimes I actually agree more with them than the pro Emery camp. I also respect them a lot, even if most of the time I dont agree with their opinions

I was talking about the posters who clearly can't stand Emery and are willing to use every and anything they can get their hands on and Anything good that happens was in spite of Emery. They're are willing to jump on his back for complete nonsensical stuff. 'He is going to sign Ever Banega, we need to get rid'. When that didn't happen 'I want him gone 'cos he won't play our youth'. Or good players won't sign for us while he is our manager. The utter contempt they have for Emery is evident by the vitriolic attacks.

Maybe it is me, but I like to give our managers time before we start to drag them through the mud.

I can't stand the sight of Emery. Terrible boring manager.

We still need to give him 2 more seasons after this to see if he can improve.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I can't stand the sight of Emery. Terrible boring manager.

We still need to give him 2 more seasons after this to see if he can improve.

You are funny Hydro. I genuinely can't work out where you stand.

Still, we don't need to go overboard. After the end of this season we will know If emery is capable of taking us forward. It would be pointless to give him 2 more years if it was clear by the end of this season he isn't the right man for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright
Top Bottom