• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wigan Athletic vs Arsenal (Sunday 4pm on Sky Sports 1)

Gautam_bhatia

AnthonyG said:
Gautam_bhatia said:
AnthonyG said:
Why would we not put Flams on the wing instead of Cesc? Or am I missing something?
Flamster simply has to play in the middle of the pitch.
OK, but I still don't see why. Surely Cesc has to play in middle too, no? Don't see how we lose more with Cesc in middle and Flams on the wing (right), but that's just me.

I feel that without Flamini in the middle we are too liable to be dominated by teams out to kick us off the park, and hustle and harry. Flamini's approach gives Cesc and Hleb the space necessary to work with. Hence, I'd sacrifice Cesc sooner than Flamini in the centre of the pitch. )provided, of course, as long as Cesc plays.)

belgianfan

I think we won't put fab on the right side. Maybe a 4-1-2-1-2 with flam and cesc behind hleb.

Why not put flamini right wing because he did an excellent job on the fullback position.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
USArsenal said:
stiiphunn said:
Desperate measures for desperate times. Gilberto on the pitch and Cesc on the right do not reassure me at all.
Hopefully Hleb will work his magic today. Could play a big part.
i still think Matty should play on the right.. much better tracking back defensively than Cesc will be, and has much more stamina... Cesc should play in the middle as its the only position he is really good at.... wings just wastes his talent...

It just seems a bit silly to me. 90% of our effectiveness depends on having the correct balance in the centre of midfield. With Cesc on the right, not only do we become vulnerable defensively in that area, we lose his creative influence in the centre. Needless to say, Gilberto doesn't exactly compensate for that, nor does he add anything that we lack to any considerable degree.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Gautam_bhatia said:
...... I feel that without Flamini in the middle we are too liable to be dominated by teams out to kick us off the park, and hustle and harry. Flamini's approach gives Cesc and Hleb the space necessary to work with. Hence, I'd sacrifice Cesc sooner than Flamini in the centre of the pitch. )provided, of course, as long as Cesc plays.)
So what you're really saying is that 'Bert is basically a passenger in this game. We should just shift him out to the wing and be done with it.

Rohit

Established Member
I don't think Wenger had a choice but after Cesc's performance midweek it will be painful to see him on the right.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Gautam_bhatia said:
Tony Montana said:
Are people actually confident about this game? Is RVP on the bench?

Quite confident. It's Wigan. Class will tell. As long as the right team shows up.

Have you been watching the FA cup this weekend by any chance?

stiiphunn

Established Member
Gautam_bhatia said:
Tony Montana said:

Quite confident. It's Wigan. Class will tell. As long as the right team shows up.
I don't think class matters in this game. We won't be able to play football anyway, so I guess it will depend on the players' will to fight for the win. Long balls, poor pitch... I guess it is all about fighting today.

JazzG

Established Member
When you look at the options we have on the bench there isn't many other formations we could of played

A simple scrappy 1-0 will suffice here. Need to keep it tight and Hleb and Fabregas need to show their quality. This has been a weekend of shocks and we need to make sure we aren't next.

Gautam_bhatia

Big Poppa said:
Gautam_bhatia said:
Tony Montana said:

Have you been watching the FA cup this weekend by any chance?

Yes, I have. Still think we have enough in the tank to take this, though. May be scrappy, but I'd be surprised if we don't pick up the three points.

(Hope that doesn't come back to haunt me! :))

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Rohit said:
I don't think Wenger had a choice but after Cesc's performance midweek it will be painful to see him on the right.

Too true. To make matters worse, Michael Brown is on the pitch. I hope our physios are ready and prep'd.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Almunia

Sagna Gallas Senderos Clichy

Fabregas Gilberto Flamini Hleb

Adebayor Bendtner

Kolo, RVP on bench.
Is this the line up?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

JazzG said:
When you look at the options we have on the bench there isn't many other formations we could of played

A simple scrappy 1-0 will suffice here. Need to keep it tight and Hleb and Fabregas need to show their quality. This has been a weekend of shocks and we need to make sure we aren't next.

Just wish we wouldn't mess with the spine of the team. Unless one of them happened to be injured. Anyway, I agree, we are at the stage where its all about being proffessional and getting the points.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
interesting that we have Song, Toure AND RvP on the bench... good to see Toure & Song back in contention... now if we could just get Rozza, Theo and Diaby back, we will have a fairly strong team again...

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom