• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 232,433

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
dzjaFhu.gif

Halcyon Daze

No you can’t blame him. But you can blame us. You don’t get top drawer wingers at 34/35. Three year deal is stupidity. You see some out and out wingers being moved to the middle in their latter years, like Giggs, but Willian ain’t that guy.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
EeajvhwXkAEy9Mn

This picture sums it up with Kia looking like a cleaner. He always knew what was going to happen with David Luiz and Willian reunited.

:lol:
He looks p!ssed, like he's just been given 'all you can eat' at Luiz and Willian's restaurant, but just found out he's got to pay for it.

Manberg

Predator
No you can’t blame him. But you can blame us. You don’t get top drawer wingers at 34/35. Three year deal is stupidity. You see some out and out wingers being moved to the middle in their latter years, like Giggs, but Willian ain’t that guy.

Willian doesn’t look like he’s lost pace. His age is not an issue.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Technically he seems to have the talent to do so, but from what I’ve seen of him I question his mentality. He’s gone hiding a bit and instead of using his qualities and take players on or shoot he looks for someone to hand over the ball to too often.

It’s gotten better with time under Arteta though and could be he needs to build his confidence. I’d like to see him loaned out and get consistent playing time, but he has a lot to prove. Loan to Championship side and I’d expect 15+ g/a otherwise move him on.
He has the talent to be an extremely good player, but he's just had a very up and down season due to a couple niggly injuries and lack of confidence. He ultimately needs more regular football to build up some momentum and confidence to be as good as I know he can be.

I support sending him on loan somewhere he can play 30+ games next season with mostly starts. Loan should be the most we do with him this Summer. I'm already pissed at potentially losing AMN, to lose Nelson in the same Summer would be very ****ty.

TBF, he's not 34/35 yet, he has a couple more years to go. Likely he won't stay longer than his contract. From a short term point of view, I don't think this is necessarily a bad signing but you can't view these things in a vacuum and I think too many signings like this has put people off of what is IMO a pretty OK decision.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

You are right in that you don't see many wingers at that age. The only thing I would say is that most elite wingers have pace to burn. Quite often their biggest strength. With Willian I'm trying to remember but can't recall him ever being rapid, that to me suggest he shouldn't decline as fast as most traditional wingers.

Giggs btw was still playing as a winger till he was 34 years old. Only was moved central after he turned 35.

Last edited:

Halcyon Daze

You are right in that you don't see many wingers at that age. The only thing I would say is that most elite wingers have pace to burn. Quite often their biggest strength. With Willian I'm trying to remember but can't recall him ever being rapid, that to me suggest he shouldn't decline as fast as most traditionally wingers.

Giggs btw was still playing as a winger till he was 34 years old. Only was moved central after he turned 35.
Giggs was declining a lot as a winger at that age, but had a renaissance when moved to the middle. Pretty sure any united fan will tell you he spent too long on the wing at that age. Pretty sure the sports science guys at Juve said Ronaldo had the physicality of a guy in his early 20’s or something when they signed him. Not comparing them obviously, but I’m hoping they’ve done some serious medical analysis of this guy.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

But he's not 34/35 he'll be 32 on 9th Aug. For £15.6m over 3 years he doesn't even need to be playing in his 3rd year for it to be a good deal. If he can still help out so much the better. This signing leaves us with funds to use elsewhere, if we were City we wouldn't need to do this but we aren't so we have!

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Giggs was declining a lot as a winger at that age, but had a renaissance when moved to the middle. Pretty sure any united fan will tell you he spent too long on the wing at that age. Pretty sure the sports science guys at Juve said Ronaldo had the physicality of a guy in his early 20’s or something when they signed him. Not comparing them obviously, but I’m hoping they’ve done some serious medical analysis of this guy.

Giggs was declining a lot, but then again he was extremely quick to begin with. For those type of players they have to adapt quickly because they can't play how they used to. With Willian I can't remember seeing him flying past defenders, so maybe he can still have same output when he is in his early 30's as he did in his prime.

Still I'm not sure what to make of this deal. It does seem a risky move on our part but at the same time I also think it could turn out to be a good move. As long as we also recruit in other more needed positions I'm for it.

Halcyon Daze

But he's not 34/35 he'll be 32 on 9th Aug. For £15.6m over 3 years he doesn't even need to be playing in his 3rd year for it to be a good deal. If he can still help out so much the better. This signing leaves us with funds to use elsewhere, if we were City we wouldn't need to do this but we aren't so we have!
But you’re assuming he’ll play well in the first 1/2 years. His mentality now is this is his final payday, that’s a risk. Also, if it was that simple as you say why didn’t Chelsea give him 3 years? We’re offering him less money, but a longer contract. Why are their fans not that bothered about him leaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough

Latest posts

Top Bottom