• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Álvaro Morata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So Higuain would get probably 100 goals a season? He got 36 goals in a weaker team to Morata's 7. I appreciate Morata isn't first choice, but surely that just reinforces that he isn't worth spending most of our budget on​

No it reinforces the point that different strikers are suited to different leagues.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Morata's clause doesn't kick into until the start of July so, until then, no one can really do anything. (If Juventus sell him on before the buyback clause expires, they'd have to pay 80 million euros.

That being said, given the options, Morata would be a good option. He's behind the pecking order of Dybala who's probably been the signing of the season in Serie A, meaning he has barely got a good run of games. With Welbeck injured, the fact he can play both sides of the wing would be handy. Still gets a goal and assist every 0.8 games, which is good for a player who isn't first choice at their team. Probably would be inflated at around the £40 million mark, but then again, finding value for strikers is a rarity. Juventus really looked like they needed Morata during the Copa Italia, and of course, went on the score. I'd imagine they'd want to keep him still but it's all in Real Madrid's hands.

I think that is a major asset and no doubt that is something Wenger may have considered as well.
He can lead the line, play as a second striker or be deployed on the wings. He would solve a lot of issues.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Can anyone that doesn't want Morata actually provide a realistic name of someone that’s better? Can't be that many.
And realistically a possible transfer too. If you look at the market there aren't many. Of course, if we want to break the bank we could try for Higuain or actually willing to grow a pair to bring in Zlatan for a year or two. Aubameyang isn't likely because moving to Arsenal doesn't give him much incentive apart from a pay rise.

alwaysmassive78

Can anyone that doesn't want Morata actually provide a realistic name of someone that’s better? Can't be that many.

I agree with that point, it's just that I don't view him as worth the £40-50m being quoted. His value is inflated due to the lack of striking talent available, not due to his ability.

alwaysmassive78

Neither would I but I don't think he's anymore of a sure thing then Morata.

Seems most who aren't interested in Morata think we should get Dybala, Greizmann, Higuain, PEA or Ibra. Which either from the players or clubs POV isn’t going to happen.

Greizmann would be a dream. Lacazette much more realistic though and agree just as much a gamble as Morata... Maybe throw a bid towards a young Brazilian like Gabriel Barbosa.. Then wait 6 years while he's out on loan being rejected for a work permit before selling him on ...

adpree

Yes Real do have a buy back clause, thats what this whole rumour is about. They take him back for a bit more than they sold him, and sell on (hopefully to us) for about £20m more. Its not splashing the cash for the sake of it, its buying a young striker with far greater potential then we currently have.

Last I saw Juve were rumoured to be seeking 50mil euros upwards for him. Thats in the Özil, Sanchez bracket for me. Will he have a similar, immediate impact like those two did ? I'm doubtful. I'm not questioning his ability here, he could well be the next Lewandowski for all we know, but is it ultimately worth taking the risk for that money. We have the money to spend on players, but not to blow on projects and write it off.

Mastadon

Established Member
Prices are determined by the market there is so much money in the game and so few quality strikers that someone like Morata is going to cost a premium. Comparing to prices 3 years ago is like looking at housing prices 3 years ago during a boom. It's totally irrelevant how much Özil cost in determining how much we should pay for Morata.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
His value is inflated due to the lack of striking talent available, not due to his ability.

But thats the market. There is no "inflated". The problem is that Wenger's valuations are arbitrary as well. So its just as viable to say Wenger is undervaluing strikers rather than saying clubs are overvaluing them.

There is no objective valuation for players' transfer fees. "Inflated" is a relative term related to how much one cares about winning trophies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Taking away his erratic goal-scoring, I think what makes Morata appealing is his hold up play, link up play but also the fact that he looks to run in behind too. A good well rounded striker. Whereas Giroud is mainly a target man and Walcott is mainly a guy who looks to get in behind, we had to settle for one or the other at the start of last season.

It also might be worth pointing out that his scoring record might not be as bad as it'd been made out this season. He has 7 goals in 16 league starts (as well as 7 assists might I add), he also has 18 sub appearances but it is quite difficult when you're only get around 20 minutes most games.

NJRider

He isn't a natural scorer from what I've seen. When in difficult positions he always elects to pass, whereas a pure goal scorer would shoot first and think later .. even if its a difficult chance(which more often than not, he'll convert). Think about the first JVP goal against Barcelona and put Morata in his place, would he have attempted that impossible shot?
All hankering for Morata seems to be based on the fact that everyone expects him to explode next season, but what if he doesn't. What if we get him, and him and Özil keep passing the ball to each other? I realise that we cant get the very best due to financial limitations and all our purchases will be flawed in some way, but poor goal scoring form is a flaw that I'm wary about overlooking

But there genuinely aren't many if any natural goalscorer who are available.
Worst case scenario with Morata we have someone who will at least equal Giroud's return and simultaneously bring what Welbeck contributes.

Genuinely think he's a player that will help bring the best out of other players we have as well

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Last I saw Juve were rumoured to be seeking 50mil euros upwards for him. Thats in the Özil, Sanchez bracket for me. Will he have a similar, immediate impact like those two did ? I'm doubtful. I'm not questioning his ability here, he could well be the next Lewandowski for all we know, but is it ultimately worth taking the risk for that money. We have the money to spend on players, but not to blow on projects and write it off.

Even in the 3 years since Özil joined, prices have changed. Also when you take into account the experience Morata has at a relatively young age, I would say £40 to £50m is going to be the price for him. He's certainly not a project!

Last edited:

Emin-

Even in the 2 years since Özil joined, prices have changed. Also when you take into account the experience Morata has at a relatively young age, I would say £40 to £50m is going to be the price for him. He's certainly not a project!
3 years

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Taking away his erratic goal-scoring, I think what makes Morata appealing is his hold up play, link up play but also the fact that he looks to run in behind too. A good well rounded striker. Whereas Giroud is mainly a target man and Walcott is mainly a guy who looks to get in behind, we had to settle for one or the other at the start of last season.

It also might be worth pointing out that his scoring record might not be as bad as it'd been made out this season. He has 7 goals in 16 league starts (as well as 7 assists might I add), he also has 18 sub appearances but it is quite difficult when you're only get around 20 minutes most games.
Yeah this. His hold up isn't that impressive but the fact that he is more well rounded and fast pretty much balances out the striking options in theory. There's Giroud the target striker, Feo the pace merchant and Welbeck the rotational forward.

And Morata like CF allows Alexis to move central during games. A bit like what Benzema and Cristiano do.

Its clear to see why Wenger may be seriously in for him and willing to pay ridiculous money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom