• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss Premier League: Newcastle 1 - 0 Arsenal | Saturday 4th November | KO: 17:30 GMT | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLArsenalNewcastle2122.jpg

Prediction

Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal

Last edited by a moderator:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Don't know if ball was in or out, but clear 2 handed push on Gabriel's neck, handball by Wilson AND offside on Gordon (unless the ref deems the touch off Gabriel's arse after he'd been pushed over, and it bounced of Wilson's arm and chest is deliberate, which seems a stretch). You not understanding the law doesn't make it not the law.

Also more broadly re the statement, there is the failure to send off Bruno for a textbook example of violent conduct (and 4 or 5 other bookable offenses), the refusal to look at two possible penalty fouls on Nketiah, the second of which looked pretty nailed on despite Sky refusing to show a replay (the internet can show replays tho'), and a myriad of other poor decisions.

But Atwell is well known for ****ting himself in front of a noisy crowd, and for having no consistency within games, and the VAR bloke is not only a Saudi freelance boy, but is also a **** awful ref who should be nowhere near this level.

But is all good.

You’re just going into minute detail on everything as if every possible decision should go in Arsenal’s favour. Every club could do that, Newcastle fans could say VAR should have sent Havertz off.

We lost cos we didn’t create any chances and we failed to deal with the cross into our box.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You’re just going into minute detail on everything as if every possible decision should go in Arsenal’s favour. Every club could do that, Newcastle fans could say VAR should have sent Havertz off.

We lost cos we didn’t create any chances and we failed to deal with the cross into our box.
It’s kids stuff. Arsenal should be concentrating on things they can control, like getting the attack to be smoother and more incisive, Moaning about refs is wasted energy, The refereeing decisions were contentious at best, but Arteta calling their goal a disgrace is beyond ’over the top’.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
It’s kids stuff. Arsenal should be concentrating on things they can control, like getting the attack to be smoother and more incisive, Moaning about refs is wasted energy, The refereeing decisions were contentious at best, but Arteta calling their goal a disgrace is beyond ’over the top’.
He was speaking the truth. Back your manager.

lomekian

Essays are my thing

No,

I'm pointing out that when there are 3 valid reasons to disallow a goal on top of a 4th borderline call, maybe the goal shouldn't stand...AND that if this sits alongside a significant number of other incorrect calls, some of which are NOT judgement calls, the club has a right to feel aggrieved.

One could make the case that Havertz should have been off, and I have no argument with that. However it is still a judgement call about a challenge that didn't meet the definite red threshold. Bruno G on the other hand is a definite red by law and by experience.

Ultimately Newcastle benefitted from 2 major failures to intervene by VAR which were black and white decisions according to the laws of the game.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Havertz probably should've been sent of for his tackle, both feet were in the air, it was wild and reckless and showed little concern for his opponent, he's lucky only his trailing foot caught the player. By the book it was probably enough to warrant a red card. Watching it in real time I just assumed the red card would come out.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Agree our priority needs to be our own performance, but their goal was a disgrace. The foul is as obvious as you can see of its type, the offside is categorical if you understand the law, there was a handball that technically should be given (though oft isn't) and the fact that we can't tell if the ball is out of play or not is not a disgrace for the officials but for the system. Line decisions should be automated given the tech is in place and it is categorical. For them to keep saying they don't have the angles is a farce. We are by far the richest league in the world, and the most televised and yet every week there is an incident where they don't have the angles or forget to check something is amateurish to say the least.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Havertz probably should've been sent of for his tackle, both feet were in the air, it was wild and reckless and showed little concern for his opponent, he's lucky only his trailing foot caught the player. By the book it was probably enough to warrant a red card. Watching it in real time I just assumed the red card would come out.
I was pretty sure both him and Bruno would be sent off. But it balanced out. Arteta could get a lengthy ban for his comments, that’s not going to help the team improve.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
In real time I agreed with you. On the replay I saw why it wasn't a red. Not sure I would have complained if it had been a red though. Classic orange card 'interpretation' call.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I was pretty sure both him and Bruno would be sent off. But it balanced out. Arteta could get a lengthy ban for his comments, that’s not going to help the team improve.

I think we're fortunate our next fixtures are winnable ones, what I'm seeing though like you say is the same issue in chance creation which haven't gotten better apart from Sheffield at home. That's a far more pressing issue than the odd call going against us. I've seen more games which worry me with how we play than I've seen bad refereeing calls.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

I back what’ll get the club performing better not wasting it’s energy on pointless whinging.
Is this how you felt when Wenger (in my view) rightly criticized the standard of refereeing in the league?

Every weekend there’s multiple refereeing controversies. I think he, and every other manager, has every right and perhaps even a duty to their club and more broadly the league, to speak out when they feel it necessary.

Nothing will change if they elect to quit “wasting their energy” and “whinging”.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I back what’ll get the club performing better not wasting it’s energy on pointless whinging.

Even if we lost that game and we played a positive, expansive style of football whereby we created chances then I’d take that one on the chin however we barely done anything in the 90 mins. The draw just passing the ball from one side to the other side would have felt like a loss to me.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Agree our priority needs to be our own performance, but their goal was a disgrace. The foul is as obvious as you can see of its type, the offside is categorical if you understand the law, there was a handball that technically should be given (though oft isn't) and the fact that we can't tell if the ball is out of play or not is not a disgrace for the officials but for the system. Line decisions should be automated given the tech is in place and it is categorical. For them to keep saying they don't have the angles is a farce. We are by far the richest league in the world, and the most televised and yet every week there is an incident where they don't have the angles or forget to check something is amateurish to say the least.
It’s not life and death. You have to accept that no system will be perfect .
. ever. And there’s a limit to how many camera angles and how much time you can spend ensuring everything is exactly right. It’s come a long way from the gross mistakes we used to see. We’re currently looking at the minutiae of what is acceptable. The foul was not obvious, players put their hands on each other all the time in the box. And compared to the days when Costa slapped Kos in the face and then pushed him over, which was not given, this was very debatable. When the game’s over you just have to get on with it. It’s the same for every team.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Getting 1 point compared to 0 is performing better so survey says this is a lie.
You’re not going to get 1 point by spending your time moaning once the game is over. You’re talking gibberish. You need to spend your energies worrying about the next game and what needs to be better.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Is this how you felt when Wenger (in my view) rightly criticized the standard of refereeing in the league?

Every weekend there’s multiple refereeing controversies. I think he, and every other manager, has every right and perhaps even a duty to their club and more broadly the league, to speak out when they feel it necessary.

Nothing will change if they elect to quit “wasting their energy” and “whinging”.
Compared to some of the mistakes we used to see, VAR has improved refereeing a lot in my view. It’s been over turning human errors once every 3 matches on average and a lot of those have been correct.

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Feels weird to say but there was a lot that I liked in our performance (aside from the attacking part) away at such a tricky ground. We looked composed, matched their physicality and barely gave them anything.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
It’s not life and death. You have to accept that no system will be perfect .
. ever. And there’s a limit to how many camera angles and how much time you can spend ensuring everything is exactly right. It’s come a long way from the gross mistakes we used to see. We’re currently looking at the minutiae of what is acceptable. The foul was not obvious, players put their hands on each other all the time in the box. And compared to the days when Costa slapped Kos in the face and then pushed him over, which was not given, this was very debatable. When the game’s over you just have to get on with it. It’s the same for every team.
I'm not expecting perfection.

I'm expecting basic standards. If you have a video review system in place for multiple years and you still can't get camera angles of the goal line, or can't get camera angles from both sides of the pitch, the system isn't fit for purpose.

Likewise, the foul was extremely obvious - two hands from fully extended arms in a downward push on to the back of someone's neck is as obvious as a push can be.

What's your justification for the Bruno forearm (alongside his multiple other offences?).

We cannot achieve perfection, but other sports (most notably rugby) have shown us that it is perfectly feasible to have a video system fit for almost every eventuality, free from the fear of offending 'a mate', capable to dividing responsibility in a clear fashion, capable of communicating with fans in the stadium and fully transparent and open. When you consider the EPL has hundreds of times the resources, and is the flagship of a truly global game, one of the top leisure services in the world, not having a better system isn't acceptable. Particularly as some of the issues are caused by systemic and procedural issues that were all bloody obvious from day 1.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Even if we lost that game and we played a positive, expansive style of football whereby we created chances then I’d take that one on the chin however we barely done anything in the 90 mins. The draw just passing the ball from one side to the other side would have felt like a loss to me.
To me, it is a separate issue from the team performance tbh.

The goal isn’t even the incident that bothers me most. We played like ****, if we drew instead it wouldn’t have changed how dull the affair was.

But the officiating becomes a bit of a joke to me when someone can get elbowed in the back of the head away from play and nothings done about it. It bothers me on principle, even away from Arsenal.

I think the officiating is a growing problem and people are turning away from the sport because of how inept it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom