• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss Premier League: Newcastle 1 - 0 Arsenal | Saturday 4th November | KO: 17:30 GMT | Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLArsenalNewcastle2122.jpg

Prediction

Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal

Last edited by a moderator:

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Compared to some of the mistakes we used to see, VAR has improved refereeing a lot in my view. It’s been over turning human errors once every 3 matches on average and a lot of those have been correct.
As in, you do now feel differently about criticizing the referees now vs when Wenger used to?

It is now wasting energy and whinging, but was not then?

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Liverpool's goals were on the counter against a totally absent defence. Against us Newcastle went 11 behind the ball
They played with 10 men and shredded them. We would have capitulated and let in another 2 in similar circumstances.

We are still mental midgets when the going gets tough at these grounds. City and Liverpool wouldn’t have had a problem winning yesterday.

Buhry

Established Member

''A player is in an offside position if: any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent''

on the other hand, ''If the player is behind the ball he cannot be offside - so players are usually safe when ball is cut back from the goal line.'' So I don't think joelinton could have been offside but maybe gordon was.

Still the push was the most obvious foul play for me

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We definitely didn't get bullied, we more than matched them in the physical department but then when it came to attacking it was so poor, almost relying on Rice running through everyone. Our main tactic seemed to be Martinelli for much of the game trying to do something against his FB. It was so predictable, Havertz was real sloppy I thought, touch was never clean, he showed a wee bit of character tho I'll give him that but because he was basically replacing Ødegaard you need a lot more. Nketiah didn't offer much, Saka was incredibly wasteful. The attacking patterns that we rely upon were too predictable and didn't threaten Newcastle at all. A draw would've been fair based on what I saw but that's not how football works, we didn't do nearly enough to even score once.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
As in, you do now feel differently about criticizing the referees now vs when Wenger used to?

It is now wasting energy and whinging, but was not then?
Lol. You’re desperate to make this about Wenger.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
You’re not going to get 1 point by spending your time moaning once the game is over. You’re talking gibberish. You need to spend your energies worrying about the next game and what needs to be better.
You worry about the next game when the team returns to practice and prepare for the following opponent. Immediately after a game is not that time.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

To me, it is a separate issue from the team performance tbh.

The goal isn’t even the incident that bothers me most. We played like ****, if we drew instead it wouldn’t have changed how dull the affair was.

But the officiating becomes a bit of a joke to me when someone can get elbowed in the back of the head away from play and nothings done about it. It bothers me on principle, even away from Arsenal.

I think the officiating is a growing problem and people are turning away from the sport because of how inept it is.

My thing is I don’t want the decision to take away from how poor we were overall. Just like how bad the officiating is, the dire style of football has been a constant theme this season and the manager has to quickly figure out a solution to it but that would take him to self reflect on his own approach which I don’t think will happen. His safe and reactive approach is seriously becoming an issue for me.

Not even trying to scapegoat a particular player *cough* Haver…as there was more than one that were underperforming yesterday. As much as I’d love for us to address the imbalance in the midfield and CF position I feel some of it isn’t on the personnel but what he expects from players in those positions.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Can't wait for the return game at the Emirates. Somehow there is real needle between us and Newcastle and I'm not quite sure how its happened tbh.

Praying I can get a ticket.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Answer his question. You say VAR has helped refs and they are better now so we shouldn't call out these things but in the past when Wenger (rightly) did when refs had no help from VAR was ok? Shouldn't we be crying less about it then because refs had no VAR?

This is not faulting Wenger. What Wenger did was right and what we did now is also right. But for you it is apples and oranges.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Eh? You skirted around a very simple question (and again). I’m not sure why you’d respond with this…

It’s a principle for trying to improve the sport, not specific to a manager.

Wenger was used as an example because I am quite sure you wouldn’t claim he wasted his energy or whinged when refereeing decisions were poor and he strove to improve the standards. But you are now. I wanted to discuss why striving for improvements then would be alright, but not now.

I can see for whatever reason you do not want discuss this change in opinion at all (if it even has, maybe you did feel it was wasteful then, I wouldn’t know because you didn’t address it)and are instead going to tell me I am for whatever reason “desperate to make this about Wenger” :lol: so it’s cool we can end it there.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

My thing is I don’t want the decision to take away from how poor we were overall. Just like how bad the officiating is, the dire style of football has been a constant theme this season and the manager has to quickly figure out a solution to it but that would take him to self reflect on his own approach which I don’t think will happen. His safe and reactive approach is seriously becoming an issue for me.

Not even trying to scapegoat a particular player *cough* Haver…as there was more than one that were underperforming yesterday. As much as I’d love for us to address the imbalance in the midfield and CF position I feel some of it isn’t on the personnel but what he expects from players in those positions.
Can’t disagree with any of the above. I guess the problem is when people use poor refereeing as an excuse for a poor performance. This is an unacceptable conflation.

But both are separate issues in their own right, and both need to be addressed in the immediacy.

Synical

Miss Superstitious

It’s kids stuff. Arsenal should be concentrating on things they can control, like getting the attack to be smoother and more incisive, Moaning about refs is wasted energy, The refereeing decisions were contentious at best, but Arteta calling their goal a disgrace is beyond ’over the top’.
So why are you 'moaning and wasting your energy' by posting multiple times and arguing with posters on this issue? Seems disingenuous to me. If we want to vent, let us vent. This is what the forum is for after all.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Can’t disagree with any of the above. I guess the problem is when people use poor refereeing as an excuse for a poor performance. This is an unacceptable conflation.

But both are separate issues in their own right.

True. I do reckon we could have won that game had we set up properly and Arteta played his card right. Newcastle aren’t as good as some on Twitter and here are making them out to be plus they were missing some key players.

I watched Liverpool go there to their ground with VVD sent off in the first 20 mins and leave there with 3 points. BVB also went there roughly two weeks ago and made them look pretty average.

Its fine margins in games like these. I think we were solid and didnt give them much openings. Facing the third best defensive team without Ødegaard and Jesus was always going to be difficult also. I think we deserved a draw here tbh.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

This is not faulting Wenger. What Wenger did was right and what we did now is also right. But for you it is apples and oranges.
In my original post I actually said I thought Wenger was right for doing it, too. I think this for the same reasons I think all managers are right for doing it. I support Liverpool, Wolves, us, in speaking out. Not sure why he would reply that way.

I think it’s best to leave it if the conversation is going to devolve into childishness before it even starts :lol:

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Its fine margins in games like these. I think we were solid and didnt give them much openings. Facing the third best defensive team without Ødegaard and Jesus was always going to be difficult also. I think we deserved a draw here tbh.

I’d say it’s a bigger issue than one or two players mate. We’ve become far too predictable for teams and they know exactly what we’re going to do. Ball into Saka, try and feed Martinelli between the lines, left sided fullback inverting into midfield etc.

Chelsea, Sp**s, City, Newcastle and even the Utd game haven’t been convincing at all. Every game this season it feels like we’re trying to go full tilt during the last 10-15 mins to try and nick something whether that is a point or all three.

Not sure if this is sustainable.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

True. I do reckon we could have won that game had we set up properly and Arteta played his card right. Newcastle aren’t as good as some on Twitter and here are making them out to be plus they were missing some key players.

I watched Liverpool go there to their ground with VVD sent off in the first 20 mins and leave there with 3 points. BVB also went there roughly two weeks ago and made them look pretty average.
I think we are a better team. I think we were nowhere near proactive enough. It’s one of the reasons why such a dull display is so frustrating.

I think we are at a level where we should be taking it to teams. I don’t see why so often this season we get so cagey.

I’m really hoping something clicks at some point this season and we get back to where we were last season. You would never have guessed that only a few months ago we had just finished with our highest ever goal tally watching us now.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Trax has become the Gary Neville of it's sad to say, right down to his hypnotical political/world beliefs.

He's just trying to rile you guys up on purpose, stop falling for it :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A player's true character is in how he plays and not in his social life. You can hide your real personality in your social life, You cannot on the field.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom