• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Your current top 10 Premier League managers

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Right now for top 5 I'd probably go:

Klopp
Pep
Emery
Mikel
Poch

But the list would change depending on the club hiring. If I'm the biggest club in the country, I'd take Pep. If I was just below that, Klopp etc. Emery is brilliant at the underdog/EL level but has a ceiling with his style of football. Mikel is still a bit raw and hasn't done enough yet to justify putting him above Emery, but he's a much better fit for a top club.

Who would you take at West Ham? I’m guessing Unai?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
3. Conte/Tuchel
5. Potter
6. Rodgers

maniac-wanted.gif

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Anyway top ten is for losers (mainly because Arteta has done enough to be in the top five now!) so just doing the current top five.

1. Klopp
2. Pep
3. Emery
4. Arteta
5. Poch

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Your original point about it being hard to compare managers and different ends of the spectrum was spot on.

It’s a bit like trying to compare Saliba and Saka. Both are excellent but you can’t really compare them - they have completely different jobs to do.

For me, Pep is an utterly brilliant manager who would slot in just under the goats like Cruyff in the all-time bracket. Not because of his success, but because he will leave a legacy on football for a very very very long time. Regardless of whether you enjoy it or not, his chapter in the compendium of the tactical side of the game is assured.

I mean we are currently enjoying the fruits of his legacy right now fgs.
Pep is an excellent manager if you have a large cheque book. Arteta has similar traits. Mourinho too, the highest spending manager ever. All 3 don't suffer fools and will bin good players who they can't be arsed to work with or who don't fit their ideas.

But at lower clubs you can't afford to fall out with players, replace injury prone players or ignore players lacking in confidence. It takes a whole other set of skills. And while you might have a few good players you also have a lot of holes that tactically you need to cover for by adjusting on the fly. It's a much more difficult job.

There's only one manager ever who had all the skill sets to smash it out of the park when he had money and then finished continually in the top 4 when the board withdrew all his funds in years of austerity.
;)

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Looking at the first couple pages of the thread it shows how quick things can change for managers these days 😂

I played it safe by saying it’s based on this season.

Half of my top 4 been fired lol.

Ones at Bayern atleast, but still. Ranking managers is kind of futile due to their typical shelf life, with Arteta’s staying power for example being entirely unique to him.

HattoriHanzo

Your original point about it being hard to compare managers and different ends of the spectrum was spot on.

It’s a bit like trying to compare Saliba and Saka. Both are excellent but you can’t really compare them - they have completely different jobs to do.

For me, Pep is an utterly brilliant manager who would slot in just under the goats like Cruyff in the all-time bracket. Not because of his success, but because he will leave a legacy on football for a very very very long time. Regardless of whether you enjoy it or not, his chapter in the compendium of the tactical side of the game is assured.

I mean we are currently enjoying the fruits of his legacy right now fgs.
But what if some of 115 charges against City will be confirmed?
Then his legacy in PL will be deeply tarnished.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

Nah you (and @Makingtrax ) are missing my point. I’ve explicitly said that I’m rating him not (only) because of his success (which can validly be argued as being illegitimate) but his input on the tactical side of the game. You can love him or hate him, but you simply cannot argue that he hasn’t had an enormous influence on the tactical aspect of football - one that will continue to be felt for many years to come.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Nah you (and @Makingtrax ) are missing my point. I’ve explicitly said that I’m rating him not (only) because of his success (which can validly be argued as being illegitimate) but his input on the tactical side of the game. You can love him or hate him, but you simply cannot argue that he hasn’t had an enormous influence on the tactical aspect of football - one that will continue to be felt for many years to come.
No, I agree with you bro. His micro managed tactics are absolutely spot on for a side with top players and no holes in the team. In fact, near perfect. Pep’s focus on a high press and then creating as many attacking triangles as possible in possession is devastating. At the same time, the two central midfielders in a 2-3-5 / 3-2-5 shape enables the team to transition play very smoothly via either Rodri, Stones, or the inverted wingbacks. My only point is that for many teams in the top 5 European leagues they are forced to play basic counter attacking stuff or they’d get slaughtered without the technical ability Pep has.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka

Top list that, Conte got struck by personal tragedy and the league is worse for it. If Ten Hag squeezes into top 4 again with the mess behind him it's quite an achievement.

I doubt the lists changed nowadays, even if Arteta is delivering the results. Deep down the fans know that Arteta winning trophies is bad for the sport

Bucephalus

Unless it is shown that Pep was personally involved in the charges, it won't change my opinion one bit. City has almost certainly spent money they shouldn't have been allowed to spend. But if City hadn't done that, Pep wouldn't even have been there. He'd be somewhere else, doing his Pep thing, pushing his vision of how football can be played, at a club with more legitimate money.

Sir Isaac Newton once said he only saw further than other scientists because he stood on the shoulders of giants. That's Pep. He took ideas from Cruyff and Wenger, and then took them so much further. Sucks that he's doing it for that particular club, but it doesn't change the football genius.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Sharpen your knives folks.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Slightly different, but an interesting discussion has since Klopp’s decision.

Turkish makes the argument about how Pep has not been good for football. Something we’ve discussed a lot here on AM.

And Rory :lol:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Slightly different, but an interesting discussion has since Klopp’s decision.

Turkish makes the argument about how Pep has not been good for football. Something we’ve discussed a lot here on AM.

There's a fairly obvious pattern when it comes to how people rank managers I think.

You put a lot of weight on trophies and black and white results, disregard/don't care about some of the more nuanced stuff around football like relative wage expenditure, transfer fees, the context managers came into etc, you tend to rate Guardiola and Ferguson very highly.

If you're the opposite and tend to look at things more holistically, you rate Klopp and Wenger very highly.

That's the pattern I've noticed at least. Should point out that it's not that rigid, but more what I've observed from people who tend to dismiss the likes of Wenger and Klopp because "trophies bro" while completely ignoring the advantages Guardiola, Fergie and (to an extent) Mourinho had.

I think Mourinho falls into a weird in-between because he has done both and is honestly extremely underrated on here. He created teams as dominant as the best in history but did it in 4 different countries and won everything. He has worked with a lot less than what Guardiola has at his disposal but also had periods where he was spoiled in terms of riches.

It's an interesting debate because I honestly think you could order the 5 in any way possible and make valid arguments for it.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

There's a fairly obvious pattern when it comes to how people rank managers I think.

You put a lot of weight on trophies and black and white results, disregard/don't care about some of the more nuanced stuff around football like relative wage expenditure, transfer fees, the context managers came into etc, you tend to rate Guardiola and Ferguson very highly.

If you're the opposite and tend to look at things more holistically, you rate Klopp and Wenger very highly.

That's the pattern I've noticed at least. Should point out that it's not that rigid, but more what I've observed from people who tend to dismiss the likes of Wenger and Klopp because "trophies bro" while completely ignoring the advantages Guardiola, Fergie and (to an extent) Mourinho had.

I think Mourinho falls into a weird in-between because he has done both and is honestly extremely underrated on here. He created teams as dominant as the best in history but did it in 4 different countries and won everything. He has worked with a lot less than what Guardiola has at his disposal but also had periods where he was spoiled in terms of riches.

It's an interesting debate because I honestly think you could order the 5 in any way possible and make valid arguments for it.
Trophies are a meaningless judge, because they always go to cheque book managers, like Guardiola and Mourinho. The two top spending managers of all time.

There have been many superb managers working with much less rich teams in lower leagues who have got the most out of their players and then some. Most of whom have never won anything.

But there's only one manager in the whole history of modern football who we saw working with money, and then working with teams that he had to buy all players from sales . . and yet his standards hardly dropped at all over a 20 year period. An insane record. And you know who that is. And it wasn't Pep, Mourinho or Ferguson.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom