• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2019/20: The race for Europe

Where do you predict we will finish this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I think the forwards were better than now. Like you had Henry, Ronaldo, Drogba, Van Persie, Torres etc. etc.

Who have you now Vardy and Aguero are almost done given their age, Kane and Aubemeyang are good but not at the same level as the above. Steven Fletcher was probably as good as Kane is.

Overall the level has improved though, I think especially in midfield.

The game has changed in the sense that in the 4 4 2 days you had more strikers on show. Whereas now theres a lot more winger/wide forward players. Not your typical number 9.

So while now there may be less quality number 9s theres a lot of wide forward. Salah, Mane, Rashford etc.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
I think the forwards were better than now. Like you had Henry, Ronaldo, Drogba, Van Persie, Torres etc. etc.

Who have you now Vardy and Aguero are almost done given their age, Kane and Aubemeyang are good but not at the same level as the above. Steven Fletcher was probably as good as Kane is.

Overall the level has improved though, I think especially in midfield.

Not only forwards, top end talent was better almost everywhere imo.... Look at Cb's for example, now you have Van Dijk then what? Back then you had Rio, Campbell, Terry, Vidic, Carvalho etc who were all among the best in the world.

I look at us play and I see poor quality and bad technical ability, the level we are playing at is not very high, same for the others except the top 2.. These last 2 years City and Liverpool has emerged as genuinely great teams that deserves to be placed among the best though.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Not only forwards, top end talent was better almost everywhere imo.... Look at Cb's for example, now you have Van Dijk then what? Back then you had Rio, Campbell, Terry, Vidic, Carvalho etc who were all among the best in the world.

I look at us play and I see poor quality and bad technical ability, the level we are playing at is not very high, same for the others except the top 2.. These last 2 years City and Liverpool has emerged as genuinely great teams that deserves to be placed among the best though.

What you have to remember is you are basing your opinions about what was better or who was better having watched Terry, Gerrard, Henry play for 10-15 years in the PL.

KDB for me is a much better player than Gerrard or Lampard was. But we remember all the things the previous 2 did as they were here longer.

Van Dijk is every bit as good as the defenders you mentioned. Vincent Kompany only left last year was a beast. Laporte is an excellent defender. Not Terry or Rio quality but hes only 23/24 so still learning.

Look at the quality of full backs around.

TAA, Robertson, Walker, Perreria of Leciester. Wan Bisakka. All top top full backs. Better than Carragher was. Better than Neville was.

The game has also changed considerably. Vieira and Keane wouldnt probably be as good today as the game is softer and you cant get away with as much physically now.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
What you have to remember is you are basing your opinions about what was better or who was better having watched Terry, Gerrard, Henry play for 10-15 years in the PL.

KDB for me is a much better player than Gerrard or Lampard was. But we remember all the things the previous 2 did as they were here longer.

Van Dijk is every bit as good as the defenders you mentioned. Vincent Kompany only left last year was a beast. Laporte is an excellent defender. Not Terry or Rio quality but hes only 23/24 so still learning.

TAA, Robertson, Walker, Perreria of Leciester. Wan Bisakka. All top top full backs. Better than Carragher was. Better than Neville was.

The game has also changed considerably. Vieira and Keane wouldnt probably be as good today as the game is softer and you cant get away with as much physically now.
I hate him and he's a prick but Ashley Cole was by FAR a better full back than any one of those could ever hope to be.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Agree with people that said EPL was better 15 years ago or so.Maybe money has big influence on football nowdays,so big clubs can just buy any player and make clubs with less financial power weaker and there is also plastic clubs like City,PSG who are good because of big spending.

But EPL was in peak back than.Utd and Chelsea were top sides and we and Liverpool were just little bit behind in quality,but also had good players.It was always 3-4 teams in later stages in CL.Remember that were also some teams like Aston Villa,Sp**s,Everton and few other where we always had tough games.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Why are you comparing Carragher, a quality centreback from the time, to the best fullbacks now...back then you had Cole, Evra, Sagna, Invanovic, Baines etc...but you use Jamie as an example :lol:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Why are you comparing Carragher, a quality centreback from the time, to the best fullbacks now...back then you had Cole, Evra, Sagna, Invanovic, Baines etc...but you use Jamie as an example :lol:

Think cause I had the Liverpool full backs in my head and Carragher played RB a fair few times.

Out of the list of fullbacks you listed I would consider Ashley Cole the only one better than the ones I had listed. Peak Kyle Walker was better than peak Sagna. TAA for me is probably player of the season. More than Henderson and Mane. If Robertson can maintain his form for next 4-5 years he will be at least on par with Evra. Maybe better.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude

FWIW, I’ve never heard anyone other than Arsenal fans (and a lone United fan) say the league’s quality was better in an era other than this one. Wonder why?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Think cause I had the Liverpool full backs in my head and Carragher played RB a fair few times.

Out of the list of fullbacks you listed I would consider Ashley Cole the only one better than the ones I had listed. Peak Kyle Walker was better than peak Sagna. TAA for me is probably player of the season. More than Henderson and Mane. If Robertson can maintain his form for next 4-5 years he will be at least on par with Evra. Maybe better.

I will let you off with this one, as you made a good argument...but unforgivable to say Vieira might not have been as good, man was a brilliant footballer.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I will let you off with this one, as you made a good argument...but unforgivable to say Vieira might not have been as good, man was a brilliant footballer.

For me Vieira was 100% world class. But one of the strengths of his game was the physical battle. Roy Keane said when he was up against Vieria he had to be on it from the first second.

Those 2 players were lethal but challenges they made that weren't bookings in the past probably today would be. Things that were yellows then could be reds. He would still be a world class but I think the edge of his game wouldnt be the same as the game is very soft now.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom