• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who are the great managers of the modern game, and why

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Rex Banner said:
So from this thread we can conlude that the great manager of the modern game is

Mike Basset.

Is there literally no other great manager out there!? It's gonna be fun on here when Wenger leaves.

Edited for Tir Na Nog

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
IMO there are several potentially great managers out there. DO I know who they are? No, I don't. However, that doesn't mean that they are not out there awaiting there chance at a club that can give them the opportunity to show what they can do. It's one reason why, I'm not too worried when Wenger leaves because, the club has the right infrastructure to offer an up and coming manager the chance to shine.

Just a quick note on the Benitez & Simeone comparisons

Honours-

Benitez:

Valencia - La Liga X 2; UEFA Cup;

Liverpool - Fa Cup; UEFA Cl; UEFA Super Cup

Inter Milan - Super Coppa Italia; FIFA World Club Champions

Chelsea - UEFA Europa LEague

Napoli - Coppa Italia; Super Coppa Italiono

Major Trophies 11

UEFA Manager of the Year - 2003/04 & 2004/05 (How he won these I'm not sure but his Valencia team did win La Liga 2003/04. Can't see any team honours for 2004/05)

-------------------

Simeone:

Estudiantes - Apertura 2006

River Plate - Clausura 2008

Atletico Madrid - La Liga; Copa Del Rey; UEFA Europa League; UEFA Super Cup; Super Coppa Espana

Major trophies 7

La Liga Manager of the year 2012/13 & 2013/14

Benitez has won more major honors than Simeone although Simeone's trophies are more current and Benitez's major body of work was over a decade ago. Lets see what Simeone has in store for us over tehe next few years and whether he can take that success into other European Leagues or with other teams.

Benitez most definitely deserves to be regarded as a modern day great.

Iceman10

Established Member
Rex Banner said:
So from this thread we can conlude that the great manager of the modern game is

Ancelotti.

Is there literally no other great manager out there!? It's gonna be fun on here when Wenger leaves.

He's there mainly because of longevity and also doing what he does with a touch of class. Turning around the scorched earth that Mourinho left with RM within a short space of time, despite the money was no easy task IMO, esp. with the circus associated with RM.

Pep and Simeone need more time to fully prove themselves. Next gens such as Rudi Garcia, Ronald Koeman, and Frank de Boer also need time and probably need to prove themselves at bigger clubs (no disrespect to Ajax and Southampton). Roberto Martinez would have been on that list six months back but look what has happened to him over the last couple of months, failing to allay concerns over defensive training and drills lingering from his days back at Wigan. Klopp is going through a tricky period but if he comes out of it well he will be all the better for it.

Crooner

By modern game, I assume you mean last ten years. In which case the top three is (Ferguson) Pep, Ancelotti and Mourinho in whatever order you would prefer yourself.

Klopp and Simeone are not far off. But those top three have pretty much dominated the super-club playground over the last ten years.

VancouverCanuck

I was surprised no one else picked Ferguson. His record is second to none. And he has built several title winning teams over the years. That's quit an achievement considering the oil money coming in during the last decade.

blaze_of_glory

Don Carlo you see how he does a position switch with Bellingham? Klopp also. Funny thing we could of hired Don Carlo over this Pr Coffee Boy
Carlo is the man. One of the best ever.

Did you know it took him four years as a manager to win a trophy (Intertoto Cup!) and he didn't win a league for nearly nine years?

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Carlo is the man. One of the best ever.

Did you know it took him four years as a manager to win a trophy (Intertoto Cup!) and he didn't win a league for nearly nine years?
We weren’t hiring baby Carlo but Champion of Europe Carlo. I wouldn’t want him as a rookie either; we are seeing the damage this rookie is doing

Farzad Stoned

Ah yes, the damage! The horror of finishing in our best position since 15/16 with the best points tally since god knows!
4 years one champions league qualification and one cup along with two humiliating year end collapses. Biggest bottle job in league since Newcastle in 90s. With Ancellotti we would of won league for sure last year all the big clubs other than us started slow in league

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
4 years one champions league qualification and one cup along with two humiliating year end collapses. Biggest bottle job in league since Newcastle in 90s. With Ancellotti we would of won league for sure last year all the big clubs other than us started slow in league

Ancelotti couldn’t even win his own damn league last year against one of the worst Barca sides in recent memory…

I say this as someone who thinks Ancelotti is top top level btw…

But seriously, shut up.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny

is ancelotti that good really? His record in Europe with Real Madrid is impressive, but those teams have pretty much all been stacked with ultra stars. I remember he had a good start with Everton but that fizzled out. Napoli very mediocre. Bayern was a cultural clash, players thought he was bit of a lax muppet really. Not sure Anceotti would have been suited to Arsenal at all.

UpTheGunnerz

Ancelotti couldn’t even win his own damn league last year against one of the worst Barca sides in recent memory…

But seriously, shut up.

Is he really top top level? Beside Madrid. As far as I remember, his league records aren’t anything super impressive.
Just claiming that we would have won the league with him seems a bit of a merchant statement to me (referring to Farz here , not you)

Farzad Stoned

But seriously, shut up.
No go tell someone who is scared of you to shut up. Just because you are too dumb to see through this PR and Chequebook manager the rest of us aren’t. Now Ancellotti doesn’t measure up to Mik, you should of shut the F up before that last post destroyed all credibility

Farzad Stoned

Is he really top top level? Beside Madrid. As far as I remember, his league records aren’t anything super impressive.
Just claiming that we would have won the league with him seems a bit of a merchant statement to me (referring to Farz here , not you)
How many CL does he have. How did Ancellotti do with his position shift of Bellingham vs. our Kai lover

UpTheGunnerz

How many CL does he have. How did Ancellotti do with his position shift of Bellingham vs. our Kai lover

Kai has been here for four games, you need to chill down

Yeah ancelotti is an excellent cup coach - for Real Madrid. A team that has been absolutely stacked the last decade. It’s probably where he does best, teams that ain’t need much managing

Farzad Stoned

Kai has been here for four games, you need to chill down

Yeah ancelotti is an excellent cup coach - for Real Madrid. A team that has been absolutely stacked the last decade. It’s probably where he does best, teams that ain’t need much managing
He won at AC Milan to he has won everywhere, Mik has not won big trophies anywhere. So his 2 CL in Milan don’t count either when they were kings of Italy and Europe in early 2000s. Oh yeah Mik’s 2nd place is so big it outweighs multiple Cls

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom