• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal v Everton | Sat 10 Dec 2011 | 15:00

mo50

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
Armor for Sleep said:
They can be horribly defensive in games like this. I expect they'll put 10 maybe 11 men behind the ball most of the time and live off scraps.

Expecting a clean sheet and a 2-0 victory!

Close enough :p

Loving how strong we are defensively in recent games. Just need to add a bit more in the final 3rd and we have the makings of a great team.

Its tremendous, not once was I worried about their crossing/long balls. Koscielny ate everything in the air and was a real beast. Last year a player like Cahill would get the better of him, but Kos was having none of it today, and simply owned him.

On a side note, the commentator also mentioned Cahill hasn't scored in 25 games. Why is Moyes playing him? His only use was ever scoring with his head, and if he can't do that I don't see why he keeps starting matches.

Anzac

Established Member
redanddread said:
1 Nil to The Arsenal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

What a goal. Only saw the 2nd half of the 2nd half but oh man what a goal to win a game!

It would have been such a let down NOT to win on the anniversary of our 125th year-and what a scoreline to win with!

In many way the result & performance perfectly captures the Then & Now of the club with a moment of sheer brilliance & class thrown in,
but still represented the issues in our attack & goal scoring despite dominating the opposition & game.

mistaT

Established Member
Some great posts throughout so there's not much left say other than BIG UPS to Theo for doing a lot defensively. Really starting to appreciate his overall game, and he was unlucky not to get assist today.

Still a little concerned about Gervinho's finishing, and Ramsey's offensive contribution. Both need to start finding some end product a little more regularly.

Gunner_JT

We were a bit lethargic I thought, despite such a great game-winning goal our attack was below par and wasteful in front of goal. Although our defending was mostly very solid, with 4 CB's we weren't really threatened but by having the 2 CB's as fullbacks did hurt a bit of our attacking play. It really showed us how underrated Santos is in attack.

Not the best performance by any means but another good result before our biggest test next week at Eastlands.

DK Gooner

Just seen the highlights and while we were comfortably the better team, it is still worrying how many good opportunities were wasted before an extremely difficult RVP chance was converted to settle the game. I have no confidence in Gervinho to finish off chances, while Theo maybe has to be a bit more selfish when he breaks through close to the goal.

The Escaped Ape

A lot's already been said (I only saw the match today for time zone reasons), so the only comment I'd add is that, though Theo had a frustrating game, it was frustrating because he so often came close to doing something quite remarkable and he seems just off being hugely influential, not frustrating because nothing he did seemed to connect, contribute or achieve anything, like last season, when he kept running into dead ends and fading out of the game for periods.

I actually came out of that game feeling for the first time in ages that it would be a real loss to lose him and it would be great to see him continue to mature with us and spend his career at Arsenal. A team 3-5 years from now with Wilshere, Walcott, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Frimpong and Jenkinson at its heart and with some veterans in defence (Szczesny, Koscielny, Vermaelen) is mouth-watering.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Watching the Highlights now.....anyone else noticed Szczesny screaming "****in' Hell!" after Saha shot on goal at the end of the first half?
:lol:

dreamLord

Established Member
I think Gervinho never really expected Theo's pass to reach him. Ramsey (?) was in a better position to score, and was also blocking Gerv's view. The 1 on 1 however was a defender's attempt at a finish - lots of power, no composure, hit straight at the keeper.

Dennis10

The way I see it Gervinho ruined that chance. Ramsey was in a great position, so why did Gervinho arrive in front of goal just a yard left of Ramsey? Because he wanted the goal himself, that's why. He should have stayed a little wider, and made sure the ball couldn't get all the way through. Instead he messed everything up a bit.

eye4goal

Established Member
RUS arsenal said:
In any case, our whole team deserves the blame for the poor start and the whole team deserves the credit for the turnaround so to blame Gervinho, Walcott and Ramsey for not being farther up the table is baffling to me. Since the awful start our attack has been menacing; Walcott, Gervinho and Ramsey created a lot of chances and our only CF has been finishing them off. Obviously we don't know what would happen if RvP went down but I don't think we would necessarily stutter.

Scoring goals is not only down to the CF. Forwards in a 4-3-3 need to score more. Pires would score 14 in a wide midfielder role. Bale has scored 5(also from wide midfield) which equals the total of both of Theo and Gervinho so there is room for improvement there. RVP is saving us at the moment(Wenger admitted as much yesterday) but we still have to look at these issues. RVP has scored 49% of our goals. Thats a higher percentage than Henry in the invincibles season so I can't see how you can think we wouldnt stutter without him

bazza_afc

A few thoughts after yesterdays game:

Arteta is a class act, I have to say I'm surprised at what a quality all rounder he is, feels like hes been with us for years.

Is there a better defender than Thomas Vermaelen in world football?

With a couple of signings this team will win things, they have character & spirit.

The 125 celebrations were so Arsenal; pure class. No one does it like The Arsenal. No one.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
bazza_afc said:
A few thoughts after yesterdays game:

Arteta is a class act, I have to say I'm surprised at what a quality all rounder he is, feels like hes been with us for years.

Is there a better defender than Thomas Vermaelen in world football?

With a couple of signings this team will win things, they have character & spirit.

The 125 celebrations were so Arsenal; pure class. No one does it like The Arsenal. No one.
Great post. I agree with all of it. Except I think Koscielny is up there with Tommy ;)

Arsenal :worthy

RUS arsenal

Established Member
eye4goal said:
RUS arsenal said:
In any case, our whole team deserves the blame for the poor start and the whole team deserves the credit for the turnaround so to blame Gervinho, Walcott and Ramsey for not being farther up the table is baffling to me. Since the awful start our attack has been menacing; Walcott, Gervinho and Ramsey created a lot of chances and our only CF has been finishing them off. Obviously we don't know what would happen if RvP went down but I don't think we would necessarily stutter.

Scoring goals is not only down to the CF. Forwards in a 4-3-3 need to score more. Pires would score 14 in a wide midfielder role. Bale has scored 5(also from wide midfield) which equals the total of both of Theo and Gervinho so there is room for improvement there. RVP is saving us at the moment(Wenger admitted as much yesterday) but we still have to look at these issues. RVP has scored 49% of our goals. Thats a higher percentage than Henry in the invincibles season so I can't see how you can think we wouldnt stutter without him
I'm not saying we wouldn't stutter, I'm saying it is not a given that we do. We have players who can step up if RvP is not there, particularly Theo, Song, Arteta, Verms, perhaps Park and may be even Ramsey. The fact is, we as a team are creating a lot of chances and that won't change if RvP is not in the line up and that's my point. We also have the ability to grind out 1-0 wins which wasn't there in previous seasons and that's something to consider.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
kalleTheMan said:
Theos pass should have been played in front of Gervinho or to feet for Ramsey, unfortunately it was neither.

Seriously? That was a near perfect square pass. How they managed not to tap it in should be where the criticism lies. Horrendous finishing.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I disagree. Walcott played an abysmal ball there. Akin to the one he played for Bendtner away at Nou Camp in 2010.

Arsenal Quotes

The only moment of possible happiness is the present. The past gives regrets. And future uncertainties. Man quickly realised this and created religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and tells him not to worry about the future, as you will go to paradise.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom